Chapter 0
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The well-endowed nobles of the kingdom of Ochalis will be the first to tell you, my dear reader, that there wasn't anything special or well-known about the Damaran family, and there certainly wasn't anything exceptionally well-known about Aelis Damaran who came out to society barely two weeks ago among a modest gathering of people, who cared more about the wining and dining than paying their respects to the young lady.

In the two weeks hence she had been invited on two occasions, one to the Royal Ball of the Season - open to any eligible young lady to attend, and two - the Lurris' Ball where several young ladies had attended, hoping to snag the young and brilliant Duke for themselves - only for the estate to announce in the course of a few days that the Duke of Lurris, Remonn Emeral was happily engaged to one, Aelis Damaran!

"But who is this bloody tart?" angry young ladies could be heard whispering.

"I have never heard of her name or her family's wealth! Surely the Duke could do better!" angry mothers could be heard hissing from behind their elegant fans.

"They must be blackmailing the Duke!" some ardent gossip lovers insinuated, leading to several invitations, several letters bearing the seals of several prominent houses be sent to both of the parties, everyone hoping to some way or the other get the story out and hopefully persuade the Duke to change his mind.

Well, where is this Miss Aelis Damaran, then?

Currently, she resides in her father's house about a while away from the most happening places in the capital of Ochalis, Orira. Like several other ladies, Aelis had traveled from her father's country estate to the seaport capital, Orira for the season with her mother's hopes of finding herself a decent husband, as she had so many years ago. She was at present, glancing at the stacks of several invitations that the House had received over the last few days ever since the Duke's estate announced their engagement.

Her mother stood next to her, draped in a shocking red garment over her green dress, unnervingly peeking into all the cards she was setting aside.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the Earl's party?" Her mother said. "You will get to wear the diamond set the Duke has sent you."

"No, Mother," Aelis said setting aside the card.

She knew what could be expected in such gatherings, with a girl of her station - daughter of a Baron with barely any prospects and a small estate suddenly engaged to one of the most eligible bachelors of the season. She didn't have many friends in these circles - and she was not inclined in making any.

"But it's such a waste." Her mother sighed, "You are setting a bad example for your sister."

Aelis resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

There were at least six more years before her sister would debut in society. And wasn't it enough that she was engaged to the Duke?

"What is that?" Her mother picked out an envelope decorated with the royal seal. She opened it before Aelis could snatch it from her hands, "Goodness! It's an invitation for tea! From Her Royal Highness, no less! You must go to this!"

"Do I have to?" Aelis groaned internally. Of course, since the envelope bore the royal seal, it was more a command than an invitation. And as she peeped over her mother's excitement, she was glad to see that the Duke was also invited. The ordeal would be much easier to bear with him on her side, it would appear.

A royal tea.

Though Ochalis was a kingdom, located pretty conveniently north of the continent, it was ruled by the Queen Regent, Orane Exalos, mother of the heir, Crown Prince Keiser Trium Exalos, who was barely eleven, and currently attending the Royal School for Swords and Sorcery at the Umbra Island. Although she had her share of administration responsibilities, the Queen Regent also spent a lot of time in social activities, as she did when she was Queen - from organizing the first ball of the season every year, the Royal Ball to holding tea parties with people of her court. While men relied on more than just gatherings and gossip and chit-chat to weave their politics, the Queen Regent took great satisfaction in this particular manner.

No doubt, this was her way of keeping the Duke's power in check.

Just as she was folding up the envelope, while her mother fled to deliver the news to her father, another note was delivered to her, bearing the seal of the Duke of Lurris.

'We shall be attending the tea together. My carriage will arrive for your disposal tomorrow.'

Aelis fought the urge to smile as she folded the note back.

She wasn't exactly sure why Duke Lurris would want to be engaged to someone of her station, and honestly, she expected him to break it off soon - another reason she had avoided showing up all those places, it would be embarrassing in hindsight - so she was quite curious why he would go and start this mess in the first place. 

Maybe an interaction with the Queen Regent will force him to reveal his playing cards?

Aelis wasn't quite sure, but she decided that she might as well enjoy it while it lasted. Not many could proclaim to be almost married to a Duke! And even if it broke off - more men would be curious and she'd get more options to survey in marriage anyway. And in the meantime, she could spend her time trying to unravel the mystery of why she was engaged.

Finding her mouth curve into a small smile, Aelis dismissed the attendant and went to find her mother.

0