Chapter 2
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your Grace," I whispered reaching to him as he watched the little boy, feeling a slight dread that comes with knowing you have disobeyed a figure of authority - the authority here being my fiancé, Duke of Lurris, "Is this sorcery?"

He didn't turn to me, just folded his arms and sighed,

"Sorcery isn't so...flamboyant. I request you to return to the carriage."

I had never seen sorcery, to understand what it would be if not sorcery. Women were forbidden from being involved in any way with sorcery, and banned from even witnessing sorcery in case it gave any ideas. This was possibly why I was asked to wait in the carriage.

"If this is not sorcery -" I began my argument but the little boy suddenly stopped vomiting light. His eyes glowed ochre and he promptly fainted right into the concrete. The Duke rushed to him, followed by two of his servants, and between the three of them, they marched to the carriage carrying the little boy. The Duke met my eyes, and he icily gestured at me.

I followed quietly, and soon we were in the carriage, and after a bit of hesitation, the Duke allowed the servant to lay the little boy's head in my lap.

"Do you know who he is, Your Grace?" I asked resisting the urge to comb the boy's hair.

The Duke hesitated for a second before saying, "This is His Royal Highness Keiser Exalos, the DragonHeir."

My insides turned cold and I stared at him.

"Please try not to touch His Royal Highness,"

"B-but," I stammered, "Isn't he supposed to be on Umbrella Island?"

"It's Umbra Island," he corrected me, "And yes. It doesn't concern us, so let's mind our business and perform our duty to the DragonHeir by returning him to the Palace."

I bit my tongue and kept still as we rolled towards the Palace Complex. As soon as we pulled into the driveway into the Queen Regent's Palace, circling the tiny fountain that gushed as we passed it. Just as the Duke reached to open the doors, someone tapped the window.

"Your Grace," it was the same staff member of his, "The Palace requested you remain in the carriage until the Queen Regent arrives."

The Duke sighed, "All right,"

"Why can't we let the guards or the people in the Royal Household handle it, Your Grace?" I asked.

The Duke raised an eyebrow as if I had asked something I shouldn't, "I doubt there is a protocol for a situation like this."

The little boy hadn't so much as stirred as we had rode all the way. I was starting to wonder if he was even alive, but I dared not to say it. What will be the consequences if he died in my lap? I looked over at the Duke wondering if I should risk asking him, but he kept staring at the outside with a clenched jaw.

Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, the carriage door opened and two knights saluted to the Duke. I wondered how they would take the little princeling who was in deep slumber on my lap. The Duke seemed to think the same, before he got down and let one of the knights enter, who cradled the little princeling and got off the carriage, finally giving me space to get out.

I was too busy taking in deep breaths when the Duke nudged my arm and bowed.

Instinctively I curtsied.

A woman rushed towards the knight holding the boy and snapped her fingers in a hurrying manner. A middle-aged balding man trotted behind her holding a bag and muttering under his breath. He took one look at the little princeling and bowed,

"Please let me take him inside, Your Majesty! I cannot treat him here!"

"Hurry up, then! March, march!" the woman, the Queen Regent, snapped her fingers and the knights rushed into the palace holding the boy as the middle-aged fellow trotted behind. She spun towards us now and surveyed us with her cool eyes. Now that I could see her, I couldn't help but notice how pretty she was. Her blonde hair pooled in curls around her head bedecked with a tiara of rubies. Her nose was sharp, and her figure was dainty, hugged by a startlingly red dress that dipped at her bosom decorated with real roses. Her eyes glinted blue and were startlingly pretty as if filled with innocence and love - hard to imagine on a widow of thirteen years.

"Remonn!" she smiled, though her smile seemed to pain her.

Suddenly I felt the excruciating urge to cry for her. I shook my head of my thoughts and tried to focus my attention on her again.

"Your Majesty," The Duke tilted his head, "We perfectly understand the state of emergency the Palace will be in right now. We would be delighted to be of your assistance in any way possible."

"Of course, dear," the Queen Regent sighed and glanced my way.

The Duke politely coughed, "May I have the honor of presenting my fiancée, Miss Aelis Damaran,"

"Your Majesty," I said and curtsied deeply. There was some quality about her that made me want to stare at her, but also strangely felt repulsed by her. But one cannot, not look at the Queen Regent, so I bit my tongue and hoped my confusion was not apparent on my face.

"How interesting," she said, "I suppose my matchmaking skills have dulled." I resisted the urge to knot my eyebrows. "Countess Alwaira Fughal was dearly hoping you'd propose this season. She fought to keep her daughter reserved for you, Remonn. How shameful!"

"Of course not, Your Majesty," The Duke's jaw clenched again, "Lady Alma Fughal is a very charming young lady, I am sure she can make a better match."

The Queen Regent seemed unconvinced by his words, so she took a step towards me, scrutinizing me and she twirled her finger, gesturing me to turn in a circle to give her a view of myself. I could feel my cheeks self-consciously growing warm as I obeyed and she sighed,

"Well she is not unattractive," her eyes trailed to my face and dropped to my waist, "But Alma is miles prettier. And I doubt a name like Damaran can bring you more prestige."

I felt my embarrassment rise.

This was not even an appropriate conversation to have standing outside the Palace!

The servants were likely to overhear and spread the word.

"Your Majesty," the Duke's jaw was still clenched, "I have never met a more beautiful and intelligent young lady than Miss Aelis Damaran. And I had the great fortune of running into her in the Royal Ball, hosted by yourself. Please allow me to credit my fortune of meeting the love of my life in your graced halls."

I swallowed, fighting the tears that sprang into my eyes.

"I have to go nurse the DragonHeir," the Queen Regent said, she seemed to be somewhat appeased, and her face brightened, "I wish you well,"

"Your Majesty," the Duke greeted.

I curtsied.

0