Chapter 4
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wasn't sure if running into the DragonHeir was something I needed to tell my parents. From what I understood, the little boy was supposed to be on Umbra Island countries away. It was possibly a national security breach, and I didn't want to risk being the source of a rumor that could potentially put the country in turmoil.

"And you're sure he meant Lurris and not his Mansion in Orira?" Mother asked.

My parents thankfully were fretting about the engagement terms and Mother had taken to pacing elegantly around the sitting room, while Father continued to look at her now and then from over his book.

"Yes, Mother," I said undoing the threads in my embroidery.

"You can refuse this arrangement right?" Father asked peering at me from his book.

"I can, but I believe he might be less inclined to marry me, and I might find it harder to manage as Duchess,"

To be honest, I quite liked the idea of having a turn at the Lurris estate before committing to it. For a strange reason, I enjoyed the idea of having the power to reject. My father was not rich enough to afford lawyers or informants who could have told us things well in advance - which could help us make an informed decision. All we understood was that the Duke owned swathes of land in Lurris oversaw Lurris, and was heavily involved in the jewel trade. All of these were favorable qualities that far outshone the list of matches Mother had prepared for me.

"But surely," she protested, "This is dishonorable! Dear!" she pushed Father's book away, "Shouldn't you say something to him?"

"Whom?"

"The Duke!"

"He is the Duke. I cannot possibly go and duel him over honor. And I think it will be good for our Aelis to get in some practice being the Duchess." he nodded my way. It would be a convenient way for the Duke to know if I could handle being the Duchess, although he seemed to be certain I could. If I did not fit in, it would be troublesome if we married.

"But -" Mother began.

"Mother," I said, "The Queen Regent has to give him special permission for this arrangement to be upheld, and she might not."

The Queen Regent seemed to hold a slight grudge, if not against him, then perhaps against me.

"Why are you against this?" Father asked, "You do agree it is better to know him before you end up being married to him?"

"Of course, Father," I said, "But breaking off the engagement when I am staying at his house, doesn't seem very prudent. Will you be willing to take me home if I had to return that way?"

His gaze faltered and he paused a bit too long before clearing his thought to say, "Well, yes."

So that one thing was clear.

My mom sighed impatiently, "It will make it much harder to get her married off? No other suitor will court a woman who has spent nights at a man's place."

"What if," I interjected, "I have a chaperone?"

Mother frowned, "We cannot afford to pay for a chaperone,"

I resisted the urge to point out that they seemed pretty happy with paying for governesses for my sister. Currently, my sister was back in our country Estate, her body too tired for the journey to Orira. I bit my lip, thinking of how to delicately put ahead my next idea when Mother thought out loud,

"Unless you're willing to take in your sister and hire a governess for her at Lurris. We can pay for her governess, who can also act sufficiently as your chaperone."

The chaperone would have to be paid for by us, although the most it would do, would be as an attempt to preserve my reputation. For all her failings, my mother was a rather shrewd woman.

"I would have to ask the Duke," I said swallowing a lump in my throat. Having my sickly sister with me in Lurris only added to the responsibility I would bear if the arrangement did not work out. Although the Duke had given his word that he would not be the one to reject me, I did not quite know what to expect of the estate yet.

"That's settled then," Father said, returning comfortably to his book.

"And you will be careful," Mother warned, sitting next to me, "Do not do anything that could tarnish your reputation."

I lowered my eyes to the embroidery and began removing the threads again when the servant knocked on my door, holding a silver tray with an urgent note from the Duke. 

0