Chapter 7
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My parents were relieved when they laid their eyes on me.

My father profusely thanked the Duke - Remonn, as Mother fussed over me in concern. Her eyes were tinged red and she told me about how the moment Remonn arrived, they realized something had gone wrong, and they had rushed to the Imperial Investigation Offices to file missing person complaints while Remonn swooped ahead in search of me.

All Mother had remembered from the note, was that that address was headed towards the docks.

"Why were you headed to our house, Your Grace?" I asked as we settled ourselves in the sitting room. I could tell that my mother wanted me to head upstairs and soothe my nerves but I was bursting with anxious energy and I fidgeted in my seat.

"Ah," he pressed his lips and turned to Father. Father had been actively trying to avoid looking at me, perhaps he was distressed at my state, or perhaps he was upset that his daughter had gone through a kidnapping attempt. Mother began to pour out the tea. "I was anxiously eager to know if you would be coming to Lurris with me,"

I tilted my head. "Is something the matter?"

"Well," he smiled, "There is a slight emergency in the estate, and I will be leaving a week earlier than I had thought."

There were still of course the nitty-gritty aspects of the arrangement to be discussed. The situation with me having to have a chaperone, my sister joining me, and the remuneration I would receive should the engagement break off. I turned to my parents and noticed that Mother had barely said a word. She sat with her arms folded over her fan and her head slightly lowered. She hadn't bothered to touch her tea.

"We have no trouble, of course," Father said, "As long as the Queen Regent grants you special permission, we have no arguments."

"Father -" I began to say. Surely he should discuss it first?

"Quiet." Father said, a strange quiver in his voice, "You have risked enough, tonight." He picked up his teacup and took a sip. I opened my mouth to protest but he put the teacup down spilling some on the little table. "Unless you want to end the engagement with His Grace right now, you will go to Lurris."

There was a harshness in his voice that I was unused to. I blinked, confused. "What are you saying -" I started.

Remonn politely coughed, "If I may interrupt, you can send me a word in the morning. And I don't believe you need to end the engagement over this disagreement, Sir Damaran." He looked my way and met my eyes as if trying to signal me something through his gaze, but my lip involuntarily trembled and he took it as a sign to rise to his feet.

"We have given you enough trouble, Your Grace," Father said amicably. As if sensing that I was about to protest he waved a hand in my direction, "My daughter is just confused right now because of all the exercise, kindly excuse her."

My mother still said nothing, sitting demurely in her seat.

My father led him outside, as they spoke in hushed tones, no doubt sliding in the bargain to have my sister sent over - after all her prospects would be far better in my hands than in his. I wondered if Remonn would bring up the aspect of settlement money.

"Your father is angry." Mother said after the men had left the room.

What?

"It wasn't my fault I was deceived -"

"But it is your fault for going alone."

My jaw tightened and I clenched my teeth together. I had been vaguely aware of how privileged I was in the way my father never sought to dismiss my opinions. And the way he let Mother reign free in the household. Most importantly, the way he always discussed with us the decisions he made. But I had never imagined that these would be gifts that would be demanded back.

"Mother -" I started to say

"You should have taken me with you as a chaperone," she said.

I bit my lip. The note I had received from Remonn had her feeling giddy with excitement far more than I had. There is no argument that the moment I saw the building, I should have made my way back with the carriage driver. While that had been my responsibility, I did not appreciate her making the whole affair my fault and risking my future.

I was not the one who had incited Lady Alma and her lover to take such drastic measures.

"You will not do anything without your father's permission henceforth."

Maybe Father had been angry at her? I resisted the urge to say that I very well had had Father's permission to do as I pleased, but bit back my tongue. The more I resisted, the harsher they would be on me. I did not pause to wonder anymore. I gathered my skirts and stumbled to my feet rushing upstairs to my room.

My eyes were stinging again.

0