Chapter 11
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My feet were starting to ache by the time we stopped at an intersection. As we rushed past the crowds drawing annoyed and confused glances - I occasionally lost sight of the paper butterfly. However, the DragonHeir's feet seemed sure of the steps he took and I quietly followed. My h heart thundered in my chest and excitement seeped in my veins. I wondered how long it had been since I got actual exercise like this.

"There!" The DragonHeir shouted teetering to a halt.

I almost knocked into a gentleman, to whom I hastily apologized - noting that he had unusual red hair. The DragonHeir raised a hand to point at the paper butterfly that was dancing in the air, in front of, a gentlemen's club - Hughbarrow's. It was reputed to be one of the swankiest clubs in town - their membership procedures were quite elite and higher echelons of the aristocracy were the only ones allowed to socialize there.

It was no place for me - barely a Baron's daughter and a woman.

"I'll wait for you outside," I said. "Your Highness must be able to deal with the rest alone."

"Of course," he said, "That would be for the best."

Just as he straightened himself up to knock on the large wooden doors, they swung open, and of all possible people who could have walked out, it was Remonn!

"Aelis?"

He was in the process of saying goodbye to someone behind him. His eyes then darted to the DragonHeir and what seemed like confusion filled his features.

"Well," I started, as the DragonHeir curtly nodded his head and took off running inside. "His Highness wanted to thank me,"

"In front of Hughbarrow's?" A small smile curved on his face. He gestured his hand, asking me to step aside. It was not becoming for a lady to be standing in front of a gentlemen's club. I noticed that he was dressed in a gray suit today, and had probably stopped by the club for an early lunch maybe - unusual but who was I to judge?

"It's a long story," I said and found my shoulders relaxing. One of the Duke's staff members, the pleasant man who had accompanied us on the carriage to the Palace, followed him out holding a bunch of shopping bags. Ah, a morning shopping spree, then. He bowed to me before hurrying off, probably to get Remon's carriage up ahead.

"Is His Highness alone?" Remonn asked.

"It would appear so. Would you be free right now?"

"Yes." he plucked out a silver pocket watch and eyed it carefully, "I should be free for an hour or so. How may I assist you?"

"Well it depends somewhat on -"

Before I could finish the doors swung open again. And the DragonHeir popped out, looking here and there before he spotted us and made his way.

"I found it," he said. But his little face looked grim.

"What seems to be the matter, Your Highness?" I asked.

He pressed his lips and cast a suspicious glance at the Duke before saying, "It's broken."

"Is there anything I can do?" I asked.

"I am afraid not," he said folding his arms. "I'd like to go home."

I looked at Remonn and he got the hint, as he bowed courteously saying, "Allow me to offer my carriage, Your Highness."

"Thank you, Duke Lurris."

Remonn kindly offered to drop me by the bookstore next to the boutique. Having gotten completely involved in the Crown Prince's adventure, I had quite forgotten that my mother would be looking for me. I had no idea how much time had passed, and as we pulled closer to the store, my anxiety built on the inside.

"Aelis!"

I was late.

My mother looked absolutely furious - tiny pink dots on her cheeks, ad her arms ladled with new purchases. Orsha stood behind her with an anxious and ready-to-cry face. To my surprise, Remonn got down the carriage with me.

"Please, Lady Damaran," he bowed to her, "I saw her at the bookstore, and I couldn't help but invite her to tea. She would have informed you, but I have an important appointment right now, so we had to make haste -"

"Oh dear me!" Mother exclaimed raising a hand to cover her open mouth. Her cheeks were flushed as she chuckled and said, "You really shouldn't hurry so much Your Grace! She will be all yours in a week's time!"

"You can hardly blame me," Remonn smiled. "I eagerly await her stay at Lurris."

"So she does, so she does!" Mother chuckled, "I won't keep you here any longer, please attend to your appointment -"

"Of course," he cast a glance my way and was soon gone - to the Palace to drop off the DragonHeir.

Mother turned to me. "Did you plan this?"

I lowered my head. "No, Mother. I met him quite accidentally."

She pressed a finger to her temple in frustration. "I am so glad I have to deal with these antics for just another week."

"I apologize, Mother, truly," I said.

"I won't tell your father," she agreed, "But we will not be holding any more shopping trips."

"Yes, Mother," I said, gratefully looking at Orsha who stuck out a tongue at me.

Tell me what happened later. She mouthed.

I nodded.

I wondered what the talisman was doing in a gentlemen's club. And why someone had gone to the lengths of breaking it. I slowly savored the memory of helping the DragonHeir construct his spell, and I tried to recollect the way my heart fluttered when it worked. I wondered if I would get the chance to see more spells and work with more sorcery. It was tempting to imagine about myself engaging in sorcery, and I tried to resist it.

But that night, I imagined what it would be like; making spells, creating potions, and weaving charms as I fell asleep. 

0