Sugar & Spice
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sage clutched the tattered fabric of her soiled white gown as she trudged through the maze-like streets of Manhattan. The thick, heavy rain pelted her skin like tiny bullets, smudging her makeup and dampening her hair. People gawked at her as she passed by, their eyes lingering on her drenched figure. She took several deep breaths. She swore she wouldn’t cry, not over him. He didn’t deserve her tears. Six years. That’s how long she’d been with Adam. Over half a decade. She switched universities so that they could be together. She resigned from her job, so she could spend all of her time assisting him in developing his crypto blockchain startup. They’d bought an apartment and adopted a dog together. They were supposed to be together forever, but at the last minute, he left her at the altar with nothing but a stupid letter explaining his actions. 

 

Dear Sage, 

I can’t imagine how hard this must be for you. I hope you know I’m not proud of myself for doing this. Maybe one day you’ll realize this is all for the best. Let’s face it, we’re way too young to get married. You were a great first girlfriend, but I think it’s a mistake to marry the first girl you’ve ever dated. How am I supposed to know what’s out there if I’ve never played the field? You're a very nice girl, Sage, but I’ll be honest, you’ve become so boring recently, and our relationship has gotten bland. I’m moving to Costa Rica to find myself. Don’t try to follow me. PS: I’m taking the dog. Love, Adam. 

 

She clutched the crumpled letter in her fist and suppressed a scream. How long had he been planning this? Why did he wait so long to tell her? Why didn’t he break it off sooner? Why did he choose to humiliate her in front of a full chapel? She stood there all day, well after all the guests had departed. Her mother tried to convince her to go home, but she refused. She had refused to believe that wasn’t some kind of sick prank. Adam had always had a cruel sense of humor, but alas, the one time she needed it to be a joke, it wasn’t. What had she done to deserve this? The words boring and bland echoed through her mind. It’s true that she wasn’t nearly as peppy and carefree as she used to be in high school and college. Time had changed her. Being with Adam had changed her. When she was young, Adam’s carefree attitude and reckless behavior were some of the things that attracted her to him. She loved the taste of danger he provided, but that taste quickly turned sour when she realized what being with him would entail. She was frequently burdened with the duty of looking after him. Whether it was driving him to the emergency room after breaking his wrist during a failed TikTok challenge, bailing him out of jail every time he and his frat bros got into trouble, or cleaning up his vomit after yet another drunken bender, Sage had often felt more like his mother than an equal partner, but she did it all in the name of love. She truly loved him for whatever it was worth. 

 

Once Sage had reached the outside of Penn Station, she took a deep breath and called her best friend from college, Julia. The phone rang for several beats, and Sage feared she wouldn’t answer. 

 

“What the hell are you doing calling me this late? Do you have any idea what time it is? Aren’t you supposed to be on your honeymoon right now?” Julia shouted. Julia wasn’t at the wedding. She had refused to attend out of protest. She’d always hated Adam and loathed the thought of the two of them together. Since she wasn’t present for Adam’s grand disappearing act, she had no idea Sage had been left at the altar. 

 

Sage recounted the entire story, from Adam’s cold feet to the contents of the letter. “You were always right about him, Julia.” Sage swallowed the lump in her throat and braced for an “I told you so,” but instead Julia said, “Oh my God. Sage, I’m so sorry. I can’t believe the nerve of that guy! I swear to God, I’m going to make Adam wish he were never born for what he did. Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.”

 

“Listen, I need to get away from the city while I figure things out. I know it’s a huge favor to ask, but can I stay with you?”

 

She let out an excited squeal. “Oh my God, Yes! We have plenty of room here at the house. We’ll have so much fun you’re going to forget all about that good-for-nothing dirtbag Adam.”

 

“Can’t wait,” Sage said halfheartedly. They said their goodbyes, and Sage hung up. She marched up to the ticket window and booked the next train.  As she squished onto the train in a ruined ball gown, she received several judgmental stares from her fellow passengers. She didn’t let them get to her. This was hardly the strangest sight on New York City transit. She huddled up on the cramped bus for three and a half hours to Harristown, then she hired a cab to take her to Cape May. It had cost her a fortune, but it was all worth it when they pulled up to Julia’s address. Sage tipped the driver and stepped out of the car. The sign above the door read: Sugar & Spice: Family Restaurant.

 

Julia sprinted out the front door and tackled Sage into a hug. “Sage! You're still wearing your wedding dress! Why didn't you change first?” 

 

Sage blushed with embarrassment. “I came here straight from the chapel. I couldn’t bear to stay in the city any longer.” 

 

“At least tell me you packed a bag.”

 

Sage shook her head. Running off to New Jersey in the middle of the night wasn’t a particularly well-thought-out decision on her part. All she had was her phone and her wallet. Everything else she’d left behind in New York. 

 

Julia shook her head disapprovingly. “Wow, the situation is more dire than I thought. Follow me.” She took Sage by the hand and led her inside. 

 

The first floor of the residence was strictly dedicated to the family restaurant, whereas the second floor was where Julia and her family resided. Julia quietly led her to the upstairs guest bedroom and fetched her a pair of jeans, a plaid flannel shirt, a hairbrush, and a whole package of makeup wipes. 

 

Sage thanked her and went over to the vanity to clean up the mess she'd become. She scrubbed off the ruined makeup her stylist had spent hours perfecting. One by one, she plucked the diamond bobby pins from her tangled, dirty-blonde hair. She changed out of her wedding gown and discarded it haphazardly on the dusty closet floor. She never wanted to see it again. The mere sight of it filled her with feelings of heartbreak, rage, and betrayal. 

 

She walked over to the large casement windows across from her bed and pushed them open, admiring the view of the magnolia grove below. She took a deep breath of the sweet-scented air. This place was one of the things that made her situation tolerable. New Jersey often gets a bad rap, but Cape May is stunning during the spring. She adored their curling branches and delicate white blossoms that smelled like her favorite shampoo. 

 

Sage had always wanted an outdoor wedding in a place just like this, but Adam wanted a chapel, so they booked a chapel. She’d asked for red velvet cake at the reception, but Adam preferred vanilla, so they ordered vanilla. She’d dreamt of carrying a bouquet of white lilies down the aisle, but Adam said they reminded him of funerals, and she should pick something else, so she chose geraniums instead. It wasn’t just about the wedding in every aspect of their relationship, she gave and gave and gave everything she had. Adam took and took and took it all, then left her at the altar. She was leaving him in the past now. Who cares if he thought she was boring? She was going to live her awesome, boring life without him. 

 

She plucked one of the blooms from the closest branch and clipped it into her dirty blonde braid before heading downstairs for breakfast.

 

When she entered the downstairs restaurant, she was greeted by Julia and her parents, sitting around a table, drinking espresso. The restaurant hadn’t opened yet, so everything was quiet except for a soft clamor coming from the kitchen as they prepared for brunch. 

 

Julia motioned for Sage to sit with them. “Mom, Dad, this is Sage, and she’s going to be staying with us.”

 

She waved shyly. “Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Felici.”

 

Mr. Felici shot her a probing glare as he took a long sip of his coffee. “I hope you’re here to contribute, Sage. We don’t tolerate freeloaders in this house.”

 

Julia banged her fists on the table. “Geez, Dad, Have a little compassion! The guy she was with for six years just dumped her ass and moved to Costa Rica, and on their wedding day no less!” 

 

Sage flinched at the cruel reminder of Adam, immediately after she’d sworn to stop thinking about him. 

 

“Maybe it will be good for Sage to have something productive to do,” Mrs. Felici said. 

 

“Not you too, Mom!”

 

“I’d be happy to help in any way I can, Sage interjected. 

 

Julia elbowed her in the ribs. “Come on, Sage. You’ve got to stop being such a pushover.”

 

She wasn’t wrong. Sage had always been a people-pleaser. She’d always been willing to let people walk all over her in exchange for a mere sliver of affection. The validation that came with others’ approval was essential to her. Julia could never understand that. Her best friend had never held any qualms about loudly speaking her mind on every topic and telling off anyone who disagreed. Sage longed for even a fraction of her boldness. 

 

“It’s settled then, You’ll begin your training today.” Mrs. Felici said. 

 

A young line cook wearing a well-worn apron splattered with stains stepped out of the kitchen carrying a plate of heart-shaped cinnamon rolls and a vanilla latte. He set them down in front of Sage with a note that read: Enjoy these on the house. You look like you could use something to lighten your mood. 

 

“Who do you think you are? You can’t just hand out free food!” Mr. Felici said in a tone that was much louder than necessary. The cook ignored him and returned to his station in the kitchen. 

 

Over the following days, Sage learned everything she needed to know to become the newest waitress at Sugar & Spice. She had worked a handful of waitressing jobs in college, so she picked it up quickly, just like riding a bicycle. She found she actually enjoyed working there. She loved chatting with tourists and locals and hearing their stories.

 

“This isn’t fair,” Julia would whine as they bussed tables. “We’re supposed to be having fun right now.”

 

Sage would always reply. “I am having fun.” Being in Cape May was the most fun she’d had in ages, even if she had to work while she was there. 

 

As the sun shone through the windows of Sugar & Spice on Saturday, Sage sang a sad break-up song to herself as she cleaned off the tables. The busy morning rush had finally cleared out, which meant she had a short window of time to clean the place before the lunch rush arrived. It was a stressful task to undertake alone, but today she welcomed the distraction. It had been exactly one week since the breakup, and she was handling it like a champ. At least that’s what she told herself as she stacked way too many coffee mugs on her serving tray, forming a leaning tower. She did her best to revert back to the person she was before she met Adam, but that felt like a lifetime ago. She could hardly remember that girl anymore. 

 

She was so lost in thought she forgot to watch where she was going and slipped in a puddle on the floor and dropped her tray. The ceramic mugs shattered the second they hit the ground. Sage felt a stinging pain emanating from her kneecaps and looked down to see a thin trail of blood dripping down her leg. She let out a deep sigh and forced herself to stand. She slowly trudged to the closet to grab a broom, but a jolt of pain shot through her leg with every step. She was so distracted she didn’t even notice someone was approaching until she bumped into him. “I am so sorry! I wasn’t watching where I was going. This is all my fault. I’m such a mess today.” She finally looked up to see who she’d bumped into. She recognized him as the line cook who had brought her cinnamon rolls on her first day. She couldn’t recall his name, which further exacerbated her guilt. 

 

He stared at her lips intently as she rambled, which made her even more flustered. 

She waited with bated breath for him to yell at her for causing the collision or scold her for making a mess, but all he said was, “You’re bleeding.”

 

She glanced down at her blood-stained stocking. “Oh, it’s not as bad as it looks, I promise. I can still work.”

 

“I can’t let you walk around all bloodied up. Let me help you.” He pulled out a chair and motioned for her to sit before grabbing the first aid kit off the wall. He knelt beside her and reached for her blood-soaked stocking, but waited for her nod of approval before removing it. 

 

“You didn’t hear my embarrassingly awful singing, did you?” Sage asked as he rifled through the kit for some bandages. 

 

He shook his head and smirked. “Nope, but I wish I did. That sounds hilarious.”

 

She quirked a playful eyebrow. “Oh, so you think you can do better? Why don't you sing me something, and I’ll tell you how funny it is.”

 

He raised his hands in surrender. “Trust me, you don’t want to hear me sing. I’m completely tone-deaf.” 

 

“See, I’m not the only one who can’t carry a tune.” 

 

“Touché,” he said, ripping open the band-aids’ wrappers. He gently adhered two large square bandages to her scraped knees.

 

“I never got the chance to thank you for the cinnamon rolls.”

 

“Did you enjoy them?” 

 

Her mouth watered at the mere memory of the delectable treats. “They were the best pastries I’ve ever had.” 

 

He smiled up at her, and she felt her insides melt like butter. 

 

Sage surveyed the shattered mess she’d made on the floor. “Mr. Felici is going to kill me for this.” 

 

He placed a reassuring hand on her arm. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll help you clean it up. If he’s still mad, I’ll tell him it was my fault.” 

 

“Why would you do that?”

 

“Because I’m not scared of him, and you don’t deserve to get reprimanded for an accident. You’re the best worker here, and it would be a shame if you got in trouble.” 

 

She felt a wave of warmth wash over her. How could he be so kind to her?

 

He fetched a pair of brooms and dustpans, and together they swept the restaurant until it was spotless. 

 

Once everything was put away, Sage pulled out her checkbook. “How much will it cost to replace the mugs? Let me pay you back. It’s the least I can do.” 

 

He shot her a wink. “Don’t worry about it. I’ve got you covered.

 

“I didn’t catch your name,” she called out as he turned away, but he didn’t answer. He returned to his station in the kitchen without another word. 

 

Ever since that day, she often caught herself watching him cook whenever she was in the kitchen. 

 

He almost looked majestic as the sun rained down on him through the window, illuminating him in a glowing halo as he flipped pancakes. She thought it was almost unfair how beautiful he was. He had completely unblemished golden brown skin, silky dark hair, and chocolate brown eyes that made her insides melt. By far the most attractive thing about him was his smile. Every time she saw a dimpled grin spread across his heart-shaped lips, she felt weak in the knees. 

 

Every time she spoke to him, he would look away from whatever he was doing and focus his gaze solely on her. His rapt attention made her feel like she was the only girl in the universe. Every time he’d respond to one of her questions, he bore a thoughtful expression, as if he were carefully dissecting every word in his mind before he voiced it aloud. She adored the level of thoughtfulness and care that he poured into everything he did. 

 

She hadn’t had this type of all-consuming crush since middle school. She didn’t know adults were capable of feeling this smitten. She assumed feelings like these were something everyone grew out of as they got older, but he was like something out of her teenage fantasies. He was kind, passionate, handsome, and he could cook. He was perfect. 

 

None of the other cooks ever spoke to or interacted with him in any meaningful way, even when placing orders. They’d simply stick the order in the ticket holder in front of him and then walk away without speaking a word. Sage went out of her way to be extra kind to him. In exchange, he would split any leftover food with her. The pair formed a quiet comradery that Sage hoped would blossom into something more; friendship at the very least. She enjoyed spending time with him in any capacity. Besides, there was no way he was single, right? He was so sweet and charming, not to mention the fact that he was drop-dead stunning. He knew it too. It was apparent in his swagger and the way that he carried himself that he had no doubt in his mind that he was beautiful. Why shouldn’t he make the most of it?

 

Even so, Sage couldn’t keep the handsome line cook out of her thoughts over the following week. She knew it was unhealthy to let a man consume her thoughts 24/7. Her obsessions and people-pleasing ways allowed Adam to take advantage of her for far too long. She knew she had to find something else to occupy her mind. When Mr. Felici stated that the restaurant was having a hard time competing with other local hotspots and needed a way to generate more publicity. Sage was eager to help. She had her bachelor’s degree in marketing and was happy to finally put it to good use. Mr. Felici was skeptical about letting someone so new to the business take on such a big responsibility, but when she offered to take the job for no additional pay, he couldn't refuse. She immediately got to work researching what was popular with consumers and devised a plan. 

 

She pitched her plan to the Felici family late one Sunday night after the restaurant had closed. She’d stayed up all night the evening prior, perfecting her pitch; she'd even made a PowerPoint for the occasion. According to her research, pop-up kitchens are becoming an extremely popular and lucrative trend, and Beach Avenue was one of the top tourist spots in Cape May. Her suggestion was to set up a Sugar & Spice pop-up kitchen somewhere along the two-mile beach during Memorial Day.

 

When her presentation was done, Julia gave her a standing ovation. “Oh my God! That's such a great idea! I love it! Influencers are obsessed with pop-up kitchens right now!” 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Felici seemed far less enthused. “I don't like it. I'm not a fan of all this new trendy stuff,” Mr. Felici grumbled.

 

Mrs. Felici placed a hand on his arm, silencing him. “What he means to say is, this is outside your skill set. We're old dogs, and these are some completely new tricks. We have no idea how to run something like this, and who would cook the food? We can't be away from the restaurant at such a busy time.”

 

Her handsome line cook stepped out from the corner of the room. “Sage can run it. We’ve all seen her organizational skills in action at the restaurant. She's a natural. I believe in the idea, and I believe in her. If you let her do this, I'll make all the food myself.” 

 

“See,” Julia said. “The three of us think it’s a good idea. That means you’re outnumbered.”

 

Mr. Felici glared at him incredulously. “Now, son. Let's be reasonable. Do you seriously think you can handle such an important job on your own?” 

 

“I'm a perfectly capable cook.” He insisted. “Give me a chance, and I'll prove that I'm just as good as any other chef you’ve got.” 

 

Mr. Felici scowled in contemplation for several nerve-racking moments before he finally said, “I’ll allow it.” Sage felt a chill crawl up her spine as he marched over to her and jabbed an accusatory finger into her chest. “But if anything goes wrong, it’s on you.”

 

After much painstaking planning, the day of the pop-up kitchen arrived, bringing with it a mix of excitement and nervous anticipation. Sage had been running around since early morning, making sure everything was in order. The enticing scent of mac and cheese topped with tender brisket and a side of crispy onion rings wafted through the air, enticing passersby with its irresistible allure. The pop-up kitchen was set up right on the beach, overlooking the sparkling ocean, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. A warm, sunny day with a gentle breeze.

 

As Sage bustled about, coordinating the staff and ensuring the smooth flow of operations. She couldn't help but steal glances at the line cook, her newfound ally and friend. He seemed to radiate confidence as he expertly prepared the mouthwatering dishes, his culinary prowess on full display. She watched him with rapt fascination as he expertly maneuvered through the kitchen. Her favorite part of watching him cook was seeing the way the veins in his muscular, tattooed arms bulged as he chopped onions. 

 

He caught her lingering gaze and shot her a wink. 

 

She flushed red with mortification, and she buried her face in her hands to escape the embarrassment. 

 

While Sage was distracted, Julia grabbed her by the arm and dragged her to an empty picnic table. She set down a tray containing two plates of mac and cheese and handed one to Sage. “Here, you’ve been working your ass off all day. You deserve a lunch break.” Sage was about to argue, but Julia cut her off. “Nope, I won’t hear it. The rest of the team has got it covered; now eat your lunch before it gets cold.”

 

Sage knew it was pointless to protest, so she sat down and began eating. In the middle distance, she spotted a happy couple, accompanied by a photographer, kissing on the beach. In their hands, they held a sign that read Just Married. Sage’s heart sank at the sight. She was supposed to be married right now. In another life, she could’ve been on a honeymoon just like this one right now. 

 

Julia sensed her sadness and placed a reassuring hand on her arm. "Don't worry, Sage. We'll get you a rebound in no time." 

 

"Actually, there's someone I've had my eye on." This was the first time she’d voiced her crush aloud. She felt like a kid again, gossiping about her crushes at a sleepover. 

 

Julia squealed. “Who is it? Tell me everything!”

 

Sage subtly nodded in the direction of her mysterious suitor as he stirred the pot of mac and cheese.

 

Julia whipped her head around with absolutely no subtlety to gaze at the man in question. "Who? Dakota? He’s the guy you’re into?” She exclaimed, motioning toward him.

 

"Quiet down. There's no need to be so loud. Yes, that's him. Do you know him?" Was that his name? Dakota? She was surprised by how much the name delighted her. A beautiful name for a gorgeous man. Dakota. Just the thought of it made her chest bubble like a glass of champagne. She could picture it getting stuck in her head all day, like her favorite melody. Dakota. Dakota. Dakota. Dakota. Dakota.

 

“Of course, I know him. He’s my cousin,” she said, gobbling down another forkful of mac and cheese. 

 

Sage leaned in and whispered conspiratorially. “So? Is he single? Do you think we’re a good match? You tried to warn me about Adam about what kind of person Adam was, and I didn’t listen. Now I trust your judgment about men.” 

 

Julia bobbed her head from side to side in contemplation. “He’s fine, I guess. Definitely single. He doesn’t have any kind of social life. All he ever does is work. I don’t know if he’s really boyfriend material.”

 

Sage’s heart sank. That wasn’t the glowing review she was hoping for. “Why? Is there something wrong with him?”

 

Julia hesitated for a long time, trying to carefully articulate her point. “I know it’s not his fault, but I just think it’s a bad idea to enter a relationship with someone who is incapable of communicating.” 

 

Incapable of communicating? What was that supposed to mean? Sage always had great conversations with him. Then she remembered how all the other staff completely ignored him. “Hey Julia, why does no one ever talk to him? I think it’s sad how everyone gives him the silent treatment.”

 

Julia nearly dropped her plate in surprise. “Wait! You don’t know?” 

 

“Don’t know what?” 

 

“Dakota is deaf. Well, he’s mostly deaf. He still has a small amount of hearing in his right ear, but it’s virtually nothing. He hasn’t been able to hear a thing since we were kids. Did he not tell you?”

 

He was deaf! How hadn’t she noticed? That's why he was always staring at her lips! He was reading them! She’d been foolish enough to believe he wanted to kiss her. The sting of betrayal burned in her chest. She didn’t care that he was deaf; that didn’t bother her at all. What killed her was the fact that he lied about it. He intentionally hid a massive part of himself from her, and that wounded her. “He didn’t tell me.”

 

“That asshole! Do you want me to punch him in the face for you?” 

 

“No. That won’t be necessary. I’ll confront him myself.” 

 

“Fine,” Julia pouted. “But let me know if you need backup.” 

 

Once the event had come to a close, Sage stood off in the distance, watching Dakota clean the kitchen from afar. In her hands, she clutched a large purple gift bag. She’d bought him a present to thank him for helping her. She still intended to give it to him, but now she was mustering up the nerve to confront him about his dishonesty.

 

Before walking over to give him his gift, she addressed the card to Dakota Felici. Even the sight of the name written down made her heart flutter. It really was a perfect name. Dakota. Dakota. Dakota. Every syllable was pure poetry. Sage shook her head. She needed to get her head out of the clouds. He had lied to her. That was unacceptable, but she wanted to give him the chance to explain himself. She pasted on a fake grin and marched over to the kitchen. 

 

When he spotted her, he shot her his signature dimpled smile, and she felt her insides instantly soften. When he gazed at her with such genuine fondness, she could hardly remember why she’d been upset with him in the first place. No! She must stay resolute! He was a liar, and she needed to remember that.

 

She handed him the gift bag. “I have a surprise for you.”

 

“I have something for you first.” He reached into his apron pocket and pulled out an envelope. She opened it to find a check written for $2,000 dollars. She gasped at the sight of the amount. “What's this?” 

 

“It's your payment for putting on this event.” 

 

She tried to hand it back. “I agreed to work for free. I can't  take your money.”

 

“It's not my money. It's my uncle’s. I told him off for not compensating you for all your time and effort. You deserve every penny. Other event planners make twice that much for an event like this.” 

 

She folded the check and tucked it away in her pocket. “Thank you for speaking up for me.”

 

“Of course, I can’t let all your hard work go unrecognized.”

 

She handed him the gift bag. “My gift feels silly after you got me a check for two thousand dollars.”

 

“I’m sure I’ll love it if it’s from you.” He flipped open the card. “Hey, you finally learned my name.” He bore a playful expression to let her know he was only teasing.

 

“How was I supposed to know? You never told me.”

 

“You never asked.”

 

“As a matter of fact, I did ask, but you didn’t hear me.”

 

He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “Yeah, you’re going to realize that’s a bit of a running issue with me.” 

 

Sage couldn’t stand the tension any longer and finally said, “Julia told me that you’re deaf.” She said it with a lot less tact than she was aiming for, but she was desperate to know the truth.

 

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “I guess the cat’s out of the bag. It’s true, I’ve been hard of hearing my whole life, but I went fully deaf when I was nineteen. Is that a problem for you?”

 

“I don't care that you're deaf. I care that you tried to hide it from me. Why did you keep it a secret?” 

 

“I told you I was completely tone-deaf.”

 

Sage crossed her arms and scowled. “That's not the same thing.” 

 

“I was going to tell you. It’s not something I’m ashamed of, but when I started to get to know you, and I liked you a lot. I was afraid you’d see me differently if you knew. You've seen how everyone else treats me around here. I was scared you’d start ignoring me too.  I didn’t want things to change between us. I’m so sorry, Sage. I should have been honest with you from the start.”

 

She took a step toward him and began gently stroking his arm. “I forgive you. I hope you know that I always would’ve accepted you exactly as you are. You never needed to hide from me.” 

 

“Thank you, Sage.” He pulled her into a gentle hug, which she happily reciprocated. 

 

Once they broke apart, Sage said, “You haven’t opened your present yet.”

 

“You’re right, I totally forgot.” He carefully discarded the tissue paper from the bag and observed his gift. 

 

“It’s a proper chef’s uniform. I thought it was time for an upgrade from that old apron you wear every day.”

 

His smile was so bright, it could light up the entire coast. “I love it.” 

 

Later that night, Sage stayed up late watching videos from deaf creators online, trying to learn some sign language in preparation for her next conversation with Dakota. It was important to her that she was able to speak his language. 

 

She got up bright and early the next morning, eager to show Dakota what she’d learned. She rushed downstairs to the restaurant hours before they opened in hopes of getting some alone time with him. 

 

She found him sitting alone at a wooden table in the center of the room. He was viewing the website for the Cape May Deaf Community Network on his laptop. His mouse hovered over the Contact Us button.

 

She tapped the table to get his attention, then began signing. “Hi, Dakota! Good Morning. How are you?” 

 

He shot her a small smile, but it lacked his usual brightness. He hesitantly signed, “Good.”

 

“I butchered the sign language, didn't I? I’ll keep practicing until I get it right,” Sage said apologetically. 

 

“It's not you. This is really embarrassing for me to admit, but I don’t know sign language.”

 

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have assumed that you did.” 

 

“It’s okay. I’ve always wanted to learn, but I never had anyone to teach me. It’s not like I had anyone I could speak it with anyway.” 

 

“Not even your parents? They didn’t want to talk to you?” 

 

He shook his head. “No one in my family ever bothered to learn. My parents gave me hearing aids as a kid, and I learned to read lips. They told me that was enough, and learning that ASL was unnecessary. They wouldn’t let me go to a deaf school or be involved in a deaf community. They said no one was going to coddle my disability in the real world, and I needed to learn to cope in a hearing world.” His voice was laced with bitter resentment as he spoke. 

 

Sage sat in the chair beside him and began gently rubbing his arm. “I’m sorry, Dakota. It sounds like that really hurt you.” 

 

He nodded. “It made me feel like I didn’t matter to them, you know? I put so much effort into learning to fit into their world, but they didn’t even try to be a part of mine. When I turned nineteen, my hearing had deteriorated to the point where the hearing aids didn’t help anymore. My parents tried to force me to get cochlear implants, but I refused. I was tired of being treated like a broken toy for them to fix.”

 

“I’m assuming they didn’t take it well.” 

 

He let out a humorless chuckle. “That’s an understatement. They called me selfish and ungrateful for refusing the implants. They assured me that I’d never amount to anything without my hearing. I never wanted to fight with them, I just wanted to have some control over my life and medical choices, but their words made me so angry I stormed out. I called my uncle and asked if I could come to Cape May and work for him, and I’ve been here ever since. I haven’t spoken to my parents in three years.” 

 

Sage’s eyebrows shot up in shock. “Your parents are refusing to contact you just because you didn’t want to get implants?”

 

He sighed. “It’s more complicated than that. I suspect their outrage had a lot less to do with the implants and a lot more to do with my defiance of their will. My family is obsessed with their reputation, and my parents have always been infatuated with the idea of a perfect child. My parents struggled to have kids for a long time. My mom was always bitter with jealousy toward her siblings for their picture-perfect families. After ten years of trying, my parents were tired of waiting and purchased the most expensive fertility treatment available. It worked, and my parents were thrilled to finally live out their picket fence fantasy. When I was born deaf, their dreams fell apart. They never directly called me a disappointment, but I could always see it in their eyes. All that money was wasted on a defective child. Too bad the hospital doesn't offer returns, right?” He tried to laugh, but the sound more closely resembled a sob. The veins in his arms bulged with anger as he clenched his fists, but in his eyes was nothing but sadness.

 

 That's awful.” Sage gently rested her fingers on top of his. His hands were scarred and rigid from all the cuts and burns he’d received from working in the kitchen. 

 

Dakota accepted her silent invitation and entwined their fingers together. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, before continuing his story. “Having a disability meant I could never be the perfect son they’d always dreamed of. That didn’t stop them from trying to force me into the box they created. They thought if they gave me hearing aids and then pretended my disability didn’t exist, they could force me to be ‘normal.’ Being deaf is a part of who I am, and I never want to change that. I love myself unconditionally, but my parents were incapable of doing the same. I’ve never minded being deaf; it’s who I am. I hate the isolation that comes with it.” 

 

“I’m so sorry, Dakota. You deserve so much better. You’re perfect exactly the way you are, and you deserve all the love in the world.” 

 

He dabbed dampness welling up in his eyes with a napkin. “I know. I’m pretty incredible, aren’t I?”

 

She playfully punched him in the arm. “I was trying to be sweet.” 

 

“I know and I appreciate it. You’re a good person, Sage. I could use a lot more friends like you.”

 

Sage gestured to the Cape May Deaf Community Network website on his laptop. “I know where you could find some.”

 

He sighed and rubbed his temples. “I don’t know. Every day I come to this website and stare at the contact button, but I can never bring myself to do it. Pathetic, right? I want to, but I’m afraid. What if I’m an outcast there because I don’t know sign language? What if I'm just not meant to belong anywhere?” 

 

“You belong with me. I’m your friend no matter what, okay? You don't have to be perfect to be with me.” 

 

“Sage.” His whisper was barely audible, yet she could hear the desire in every syllable. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear with his free hand, the other still firmly entwined with hers. He leaned in, so their mouths were only inches apart. They both waited with bated breath for someone to close the gap.  

 

Mr. Felici came barging into the restaurant, slamming doors behind him. “I’m not paying you two to sit around, making goo-goo eyes at each other! You two better get your lazy asses back to work before I fire you!”

 

They broke apart, and Sage stood up. “I need to go.”

 

Dakota gently kissed her knuckles before letting go. “I’ll see you soon.”

 

The next evening, Sage curled up in her bedroom, trying to relax after her stressful weekend. She flopped down on her bed and scrolled mindlessly through social media. Adam's Instagram was littered with photos of him sipping mimosas on the beach with the company's intern, Makayla. He didn't even have the decency to block her before posting this. She rolled her eyes and closed the app. The absence of Adam did not make her heart grow fonder. Quite the contrary, having him out of her life showcased how much he’d been holding her back. Although a piece of her still mourned for what could’ve been, she came to realize she was much better off without him. She opened her laptop and began devising plans for Julia’s birthday party. Her birthday was about a month away, which gave Sage ample time to put together something spectacular. 

 

Just as she was beginning to zone in on her work, her phone buzzed with a text message from an unknown number. Hey, Sage. It's Dakota. Julia gave me your number. I was wondering if you’re busy tonight.”

 

She typed out a response. Never too busy for you. ;)

 

That's what I like to hear. Do you want to hang out? I’ve been dying to see you. 

 

Her face flushed bright red. Was he asking her out? She opted to use their typical style of banter. You saw me three hours ago, Drama Queen. 

 

It's been far too long. I miss seeing your gorgeous face. 

 

He was absolutely hitting on her. She wasn't going to let this opportunity pass her by. I’m free all night. Come by my room whenever you're ready. 

 

On my way. I hope you're hungry.

 

She pumped her fists in the air, celebrating her victory. The man of her dreams was desperate to see her, and he was bringing food. She was living the dream. 

 

Several minutes later, she heard a knock at the door. 

 

“Come in!” She shouted before realizing he couldn't hear her. She dashed over to the door to greet him. 

 

He stood patiently outside her door, holding a bouquet of lilies in one hand and a tray of tacos in the other. He had just gotten a haircut, and he looked even more handsome with his short brown hair freshly styled. He wore a black silk button-up with the top three buttons scandalously left open. He tried to play it cool, but it was obvious he was trying to impress her, and she found that incredibly endearing. 

 

She invited him in, graciously accepting his gifts. She ushered him to sit on the bed because her room lacked chairs. She handed him a taco, then took a bite of her own. The taco burst with a medley of savory flavors. It contained the perfect ratio of smoky grilled chicken, to tangy salsa, and creamy avocado. She devoured it in the most unladylike way possible, gobbling it down in three bites, then licking the residue from her fingers. 

 

He laughed. “I guess you enjoyed it.” 

 

“It’s so good! How is everything you make so incredible? What do you put in it? Sorcery?” She made sure to enunciate every word to ensure he could read her lips properly. 

 

“No sorcery, just a lot of hard work and passion.” 

 

“I think you might be the best chef in the world, no joke.” 

 

He smiled his beautiful smile, pride emanating from his dimpled cheeks. “That’s extremely high praise, thank you.” His gaze drifted over to her laptop screen. “Are you planning another event? My uncle was thrilled with the turnout of the last one.”

 

Sage couldn’t fathom Mr. Felici being thrilled about anything, but she digressed. “Nope, I'm just planning a little get-together for Julia’s birthday.” She handed him the laptop, so he could view her progress. “I’m going to convert the restaurant into a karaoke bar, but don’t tell her it’s a surprise.”

 

“That’s perfect! She’ll love that! I can’t wait to see her face when she sees it.”

 

“So, you’ll be there?” Sage said hopefully.

 

“I wouldn’t miss it.”

 

“Does that mean I’m finally going to get to hear you sing?”

 

“Absolutely not.”

 

“What a shame.” She sighed and leaned into his shoulder, resting her body against his. 

 

“Hey, Sage, remember how I volunteered to cook all the food at the pop-up kitchen and convinced my uncle to give you two-thousand dollars?” 

 

Sage raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Yes? Why? 

 

“So it's safe to say I've always had your back, right?” 

 

“You could definitely say that.” 

 

“So, if I made a mistake and needed a huge favor from you to fix it, would you help me out?” 

 

“What the hell did you do? Are you in trouble with the law? Because if you are, I won’t help you,” she said resolutely. 

 

“It’s not that serious, I promise. I just took on a little more than I can handle, that’s all.” 

 

Sage gestured for him to continue. 

 

“I took your advice and reached out to The Cape May Deaf Community Network.”

 

She squeezed his arm in an encouraging manner. “Dakota, that’s amazing! I’m so proud of you! How did it go?”

 

“It went really well, actually. I chatted with the woman in charge online. Her name is María Sánchez, and I think we hit it off. As we were talking, she mentioned that the venue they had booked for their annual fundraising gala, canceled on them. I may or may not have told them we could host it here.” 

 

“Here?” 

 

He nodded. “I can’t do it alone. I need you.” He squeezed her hands and shot her a look of desperation. “Please, Sage.” 

 

“I’m not a professional. This is way too important for me. What if I mess everything up?” 

 

“I won’t force you to do it if you don’t want to, but you did an outstanding job hosting the pop-up kitchen, and I know you can do it again. You have a gift, Sage.” 

 

Sage let out a deep breath and nodded. “Okay, let’s do it.” 

 

“You’ll do it? Thank you, Sage! You’re incredible.” He squeezed her shoulders and smiled the brightest, most genuine smile she’d ever seen.

 

“Sure, it will be fun. I always wanted to be an event planner, but my ex, Adam, said that’s not a real job and I needed to pick something more practical.” 

 

“What job did Adam have?”

 

“Trading crypto.” 

 

“Now, that’s not a real job.”

 

She laughed.

 

“Adam can go directly to hell and rot there. You deserve so much better.” 

 

Sage looked up at him in surprise. It felt strange and almost exciting to be encouraged and believed in. She leaned in and whispered, “Tell me more about what I deserve.”

 

“You deserve to be with someone who believes in you and supports your dreams. You deserve someone who will tell you how beautiful you are every single day. You deserve someone who knows your favorite flower and someone who will bake you treats when you’re sad. You deserve to be with someone who will never leave you behind.” He tucked a strand of her wavy hair behind her ear and moved in even closer. 

 

“Someone like you?” 

 

“I could do all that for you if you’ll have me.” Their two heartbeats synchronized, pounding in unison, with barely any distance separating them.

 

Sage took a risk and bridged the distance between them, pushing their lips together.

 

Dakota let out a pleasantly surprised hum. Returned the kiss with a gentle brush of his lips. 

 

The gentle caress of his lips sent a warm tingle down her spine. She never wanted this to end. She tugged him closer by yanking the collar of his unbuttoned shirt, deepening the kiss.

 

He eagerly responded to her advances by wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her closer. The room filled with a mixture of passion and longing as their lips moved in perfect harmony. Time seemed to stand still as they surrendered to the intensity of the moment.

 

Eventually, they broke the kiss, both breathless and wearing wide smiles. Sage's heart fluttered. She realized that this was the beginning of something extraordinary.

 

Dakota rested his forehead against hers, their noses touching. "Wow," he whispered, his voice filled with awe. "I've been wanting to do that for so long."

 

“It was worth the wait.” 

 

"Oh, thank God. I haven't kissed anyone since my fifth-grade production of Sleeping Beauty," Dakota confessed, his voice laced with a mix of vulnerability and relief. "I was so nervous I was going to mess it up."

 

Sage smiled, her eyes sparkling with affection. “You’re a great kisser. I bet you were a very dashing prince.” 

 

“I wasn’t really. I got so anxious about kissing a girl for the first time that I almost had a panic attack on stage.”

 

“Well, you’re already a kissing prodigy, but I can give you some lessons if you like.” She went back for another kiss, which he eagerly gave her. 

 

“Stay,” he whispered. 

 

“I’m not going anywhere. This is my room, after all.”

 

“No, I mean stay in Cape May. Don’t go back to New York. Stay here. Stay with me.

 

She returned to his lips for a third kiss, then said, “Yes. I want to be with you, Dakota. I want to see where this goes.”

 

A smile spreads across his face, and he pulls her into a tight embrace. "You have no idea how happy that makes me. I want to be with you too, Sage." 

 

The next three days felt like something out of a dream. Since Sage and Dakota had officially become a couple. They had shared intimate conversations, stolen kisses, and endless moments of laughter. Sage couldn’t remember the last time she’d been this happy. She’d never met anyone more eager to spend time with her than Dakota. On this particular evening, she had invited him on an impromptu trip to the Cape May Promenade. The pair walked hand in hand along the moonlit streets of Cape May, their laughter mingling with the gentle sound of waves crashing nearby. Sage didn’t think it was possible for anything to lower her spirits. 

 

As they strolled down the promenade, they were suddenly interrupted by an extremely hyper chocolate Labrador barreling towards them. The dog was so excited, it nearly tackled them to the ground as it jumped up to lick their faces. Dakota ruffled the dog's fur, and Sage searched for any trace of the dog’s owner. The dog had no leash, collar, or tags, but it looked too well cared for to be a stray. 

 

“I used to have a chocolate Lab when I lived in New York,” Sage remarked, but Dakota wasn’t paying attention. His focus was zeroed in on the dog. “Who’s the cutest doggy in the whole world? You are!”

 

The dog wagged his tail joyously at Dakota’s proclamation, absolutely thrilled to be declared the cutest doggy in the world. 

 

A voice Sage remembered all too well called out behind them. “Maple, come back!” She turned around to see Adam rushing toward them. 

 

She shook Dakota’s shoulder to get his attention. “Dakota! My ex is here! He’s coming towards us!” 

 

“Who? The douchebag in the scarf?” 

 

She nodded. 

 

Dakota cracked his knuckles. “Do you need me to scare him off for you?”

 

She shook her head. There was no question that Dakota could crush Adam like a toothpick if he put his mind to it, but this was something Sage needed to face on her own. 

 

“Stupid Dog! Why can’t you ever do what you’re told? You were way too expensive to be this worthless.” Adam panted. He hunched over, resting his hands on his knees as he gasped for air. His skin was so severely sunburned, his pasty-pale complexion had reddened to the shade of a lobster. He looked up and finally noticed them. “Sage! I’ve been searching for you everywhere!” He tried to hug her, but she took a step back, evading his grasp.

 

“What are you doing here, Adam?”

 

“Trying to find you, idiot. Why else would I willingly go to New Jersey?”

 

“How the hell did you find me?”

 

Adam crossed his arms defensively. “Well, I was going to surprise you by coming home, but when I got back to our apartment, you were nowhere to be found. I asked everyone, but they had no clue where you disappeared to, so you left me no choice but to track your phone.”

 

“You tracked my phone!” She spat.

 

“Of course I did,” he scoffed. “We all know you’re not the adventurous type. I assumed you’d been kidnapped.” 

 

“Why’d you even bother coming back here? Let me guess, Costa Rica wasn’t as perfect as you thought it would be.”

 

Oh Sage, It was the worst time of my life. I was attacked by feral iguanas. I got stung by a jellyfish, and then I peed on it to make it better, but that just made it worse. Then my wallet got stolen by monkeys. Mikayla dumped me for some random boat captain she met on a river cruise. It was terrible! I was a fool for leaving you at the altar. Let’s never be apart again.” He grabbed her hips and forced her to him. He tried to kiss her, but Sage jerked away. Adam stared at her in confusion. “What’s wrong?”

 

“What’s wrong?” She said through clenched teeth. It took everything in her to not slap him across the face. “What’s wrong is that you left me at the altar after six years, so you could disappear to Costa Rica with our seventeen-year-old intern!”

 

“Mikayla turned eighteen two weeks ago.” 

 

“Wow, I’m shocked you waited that long before you started having an affair with her.” 

 

A guilty look flashed across Adam’s face, but it quickly vanished. “Don’t be dramatic. It wasn’t an affair. It was a short-lived one-time fling, and I’ll never do it again, Baby.” 

 

“Do you seriously think I would ever take you back? After everything you’ve done? After how you treated me?”

 

He seemed surprised by her question. “Of course, you would. I’ve done you wrong dozens of times. Sure, you’re always mad at first, but you always take me back in the end. You can never stay away from me. That’s because we’re meant to be,” he said, taking a step toward her. 

 

“I won’t let it go this time, Adam. You’ve screwed me over way too many times, and I let you walk all over me because I believed that I deserved it. Now I know my worth, and it’s more than you ever gave me.”

 

She didn’t think Adam’s face could get any redder, but he flushed crimson with anger. “You think you’re too good for me? Let me enlighten you. You’re nothing more than a basic, boring bitch, Sage. One day, your new boy toy is going to get tired of you, just like I did, and when he dumps you for someone better, you’re gonna wish you took me back when you had the chance!” He spat. 

 

Dakota stepped in between them, preparing to defend her, but Sage held him back. She needed to finish this on her own. “I’m not the same person I was before. Your words can’t hurt me anymore,” she said. “Do you know what is going to hurt? Before he had time to react, she delivered a swift sucker punch to his nose.

 

“What the hell!” Adam exclaimed as a river of blood streamed from his nose. 

 

“Is your hand okay?” Dakota asked, pressing a kiss to each of her knuckles. 

 

Sage smirked. “Never better.”

 

Adam clutched his bleeding nose in disbelief. “When the hell did you get so strong?” 

 

“I’ve always been strong, you’ve always underestimated me.” 

 

Dakota wrapped a supportive arm around her, giving her the courage she needed to tell Adam off once and for all.

 

“I’m done with you, Adam. Forever. Throughout our relationship, the best thing you ever did for me was leave. My life is infinitely better without you. So leave here and don’t come back. If you ever track my phone and stalk me again, I’ll be sure to punch your face so hard you’ll need to see a plastic surgeon.” 

 

“Crazy bitch,” he muttered, slinking away and leaving Maple behind. 

 

“I’m keeping the dog!” She called out to his retreating form, but he didn’t spare a single glance back as he retreated. 

 

Once he was out of sight, Dakota pulled her into a tight hug. “That was incredible!” 

 

Sage leaned into his embrace, grinning with self-satisfaction for breaking all ties with Adam. 

 

As they embraced, Sage noticed Maple wagging his tail and nuzzling against Dakota's leg. "It looks like Maple has already chosen you as his new best friend,” she chuckled.

 

Dakota beamed and scratched behind Maple’s ear. “That’s fine by me. I’ve always loved dogs. What do you say, boy? Do you want to be my best friend?” 

 

Maple let out an excited bark and wagged his tail. 

 

The trio began the long walk home as the sun set over Cape May.

 

The days came and went, and before Sage knew it, the evening of the Charity Gala had arrived. Dakota and Sage worked day and night to make sure everything was perfect in preparation for the arrival of The Cape May Deaf Community Network. Early in the planning process, they realized Sugar & Spice wasn’t large enough for an event of this magnitude. Sage suggested they host the event outdoors. The magnolia grove in the Felici’s backyard was the perfect location.

 

Sage stood on a step stool as she hung white garlands and paper lanterns from the tree branches. As she strained to reach one of the high branches, she caught sight of Dakota and Maple in her peripheral vision. She turned to greet them. “There are my favorite boys!” She proudly gestured towards the decorations. “What do you think?” 

 

“This place looks amazing! You did an incredible job.”

 

Maple let out a bark of agreement. 

 

She blushed with pride. “Did you finish setting up the tables?”

 

Dakota nodded. “Everything is ready for our guests. What else can I do to help you?” 

 

“This step stool is too short. I can’t reach this branch.” Sage stood on her tiptoes to illustrate her point.

 

Instead of hanging the lantern for her or fetching a taller step stool, he picked her up by the waist and hoisted her into the air, Lion King style. 

 

She couldn’t hold back her surprised giggles. She quickly slid the lantern onto the branch.

 

He set her down, but didn't release his arms from her waist. His eyes traced the contours of her face, drinking in every detail with a look of pure affection.

 

She tenderly brushed his hair out of his eyes, then tossed her arms around his neck. 

 

The energy around them was electrifying. Once they couldn’t fight the tension anymore, they pressed their lips together in a passionate kiss. It was a kiss that spoke a thousand unspoken words, a language of love that only they understood, sealing their connection in an unforgettable embrace.

 

When they broke apart, Dakota said, “You look beautiful.” As he admired her pastel blue floral dress. 

 

“No, you look beautiful,” she said, adjusting the collar of his suit.

 

Dakota smirked. “We can both be beautiful.”

 

“Hey lovebirds,” Julia called out, sauntering toward them. “Do you have a minute to talk?” 

 

“Hey Julia, I’ll be free in just a minute,” Sage said. 

 

“I’m actually here to talk to him,” Julia said, gesturing toward Dakota. 

 

Dakota raised his eyebrows in surprise.  “Woah, that’s a first. Since when do you ever have anything to say to me?”

 

Julia stared down at the ground sheepishly. “Actually, that's what I came here to talk to you about. I owe you an apology.”

 

Dakota shot her a puzzled look. “For what?” 

 

“I’ve been the worst cousin in the universe. Growing up, I never talked to you or made an effort to include you, and that wasn’t fair. I should've known better. When you started losing your hearing, I pushed you aside just like the rest of our family did, and that’s not okay. I thought you being deaf would make it impossible to have a relationship with you, but I was so wrong. You’re so much more capable than anyone gave you credit for. I’m sorry it took me so long to realize that.” 

 

Dakota nodded thoughtfully, taking in each of her words. “Thank you for apologizing, Julia. I’ll be honest with you; it really hurt me to be ignored and isolated for all these years. You have no idea what it felt like to spend every holiday sitting alone in the corner, with no one to talk to. I wish someone had been there for me, you know?” He let out a wistful sigh. “But we can’t change the past; we can only move forward.”

 

The faint sparkle of tears glistened in Julia’s eyes. “I can never undo the damage I caused you. Family is supposed to look out for each other, but no one was looking out for you. We all treated you terribly, and I take full responsibility for my role in that. This apology doesn't come close to making up for what I did, but I still wanted to let you know I’m sorry."

 

Dakota wrapped a comforting arm around her and pulled her into a soft embrace. “I’ll forgive you, if you promise to do better in the future. Start including me in things; I’m a pretty fun guy once you get to know me.” 

 

“I will, I promise,” she exclaimed. “and I’m going to tell Mom and Dad to start treating you right!” 

 

He gave her shoulder one last squeeze before they broke apart. “I appreciate that.” 

 

Sage glanced at Dakota and Julia with a knowing smile, unconsciously intertwining her fingers with his. Dakota smiled back, feeling the warmth of Sage’s gentle touch. Although the conversation hadn’t been easy for him, Sage saw a weight lift from Dakota’s shoulders as he finally voiced the unspoken hurt he’d endured in silence his entire life. 

 

Julia cleared her throat and stepped away from them. “Well, I guess I should get going now. You two enjoy the rest of your night.”

 

Dakota nodded in agreement and gave her a hug goodbye. As she turned to leave, Sage called out to her, “Wait! Do you want to join us for dinner tomorrow? We would love to have you." 

 

Julia's face lit up with surprise at the invitation before turning into a genuine smile. “I'd love that! Thanks, guys!” With that, Julia waved goodbye and left the room, leaving Sage and Dakota alone in the momentary peace of the evening air.

 

As the cars containing the gala’s guests began pulling in, Sage gave Dakota’s hand a reassuring squeeze. “How are you feeling?”

 

“I’m freaking out!” Dakota said through gritted teeth, as he pasted on a fake smile, trying to maintain an upbeat demeanor. “I’m so nervous I might throw up. Do I look like a sweaty mess right now? Because I feel like a sweaty mess.”

 

Sage straightened his tie and fixed his hair. “Relax, you look amazing.” 

 

“What if they don’t like me?” Dakota spoke in a small, insecure voice that was so timid it was barely audible. 

 

“They’re going to love you, just like I do.” 

 

They embraced under the magnolia blossoms, and Dakota knew everything was going to be alright. 

0