I Never Feared You
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Between the pine forests and majestic mountains lies a valley full of magic. Within the vale lived unicorns, pixies, and trees made of cotton candy, but beware dragons, trolls and hideous beasts also resided there. In my village, we were all given a strict set of rules to follow to protect us from the supernatural dangers that surrounded us.

Rule Number One: Never go out at night. You'll be much less likely to be eaten by vampires that way. All the local shops closed well before sunset for this very reason.

Rule Number Two: Never wander off the trail. Surely, there's a malevolent fae just waiting for you to step into their mushroom circle, so they can kidnap you and keep you as a pet.

Rule Number Three: Never ever touch a magical creature. "All magical creatures are pure evil," my parents used to say. "Even the pretty ones. They're corrupting this land with their wicked sorcery. It doesn't matter if they seem nice, they are all out to get you. Never let your guard down for even a moment."

What my dear parents didn't know is that I was born without fear. Every night, well after the rest of my village was sound asleep, I would sneak out the window and break every rule I was taught. I would proudly march into the enchanted valley and waltz around like I owned the place. The secret to fitting into a place you don't belong is to act like you rule the place. None of the creatures ever really questioned what a small human child was doing in their domain. Most of them simply assumed I was a halfling, and I didn't correct them. I never feared the valley or any of its inhabitants. The sweet, whimsical critters and the eldritch horrors were equally dear to me.

One summer evening, I met the creature I came to love the most. I was quite young then, maybe seven or eight. It was my favorite night of the whole year, the night all the pixies came out to play. Hundreds of thousands of them would come out of their homes and dance the night away, making the entire valley shimmer with golden light. I sat in the lush grass snacking on wild berries as forest sprites braided sunflowers into my hair. They played jovial, celebratory tunes on their tiny flutes as they celebrated the summer solstice. Once all the flowers were firmly secured to my head, the sprites grabbed hold of my finger and beckoned for me to go somewhere with them. I didn't speak their language, but I learned to read their body language. I knew they were adamant that I follow. They led me down a dark, winding path away from the festival into a secluded area in the forest. The sprites formed a twinkling archway around the entrance to a cave.

I curiously eyed the entrance to the cave. I'd explored many caves, but I'd never seen this one before. "You want me to go in there?"

They nodded enthusiastically and lit the way. I took a deep breath and took my first step into the cave. When my foot touched the cold stone floor, the ceiling glowed brilliant shades of violet and indigo. I followed the lights down the winding tunnels. I brushed my fingertips against the jagged rocks, and they left a kaleidoscope of color in the places I had previously touched. I stopped and decided to use this cave as my canvas. I drew scribbles of mushrooms, fairies, minotaurs, gelatinous cubes, and I completed my masterpiece with a self-portrait in the middle.

I ventured further to the center of the cave, where I discovered a pool of sparkling cerulean water surrounded by hoards of treasure. I wondered if a mermaid lived here. That would be exciting. I had never met a mermaid before. I hoped she was the friendly kind of mermaid and not the kind that drowns people. A family of seahorses swam up to greet me. I stuck my finger into the water to see what would happen. The seahorses hummed an enthused melody as they gently tickled my finger with kisses. I played with the seahorses for several minutes. Once we'd had our fun, I headed back the way I came.

When I returned to my artwork, someone had added new drawings to the mural. Now, there were flowers, houses, mountains, and a massive dragon soaring overhead. Next to my self-portrait was a drawing of a little boy with fangs and claws and something large sticking out of his back. I spun around and scanned the cave behind me for any sign of life. "Is anyone there?" Out of the corner of my eye, I watched a dark figure scamper across the cave floor and dive behind a rock. "I know you're there, come out!" I commanded, in the fiercest tone I could muster.

"Don't come any closer! This is my home, and you're intruding, go away!" The creature shouted. He didn't sound intimidating, quite the opposite, he sounded terrified. His voice shook with every word. I could picture him trembling.

I knelt on the cold floor beside him. "You're alright, I'm not going to hurt you. You don't need to be afraid."

"I'm not afraid of you," he insisted, but his frightened tone said otherwise.

"I'm Veronica. What's your name?" I extended my hand, but he refused to shake it.

After a long moment of silence. He said, "Elliot."

I frowned, that was not a very magical-sounding name. "What kind of creature are you, Elliot?"

"I don't know, I've never met anyone like me before."

"I've met all kinds of creatures, maybe if you let me see you I could help you figure out what you are."

"No, you can't ever see me!"

"Why not?"

"Because then, you'll be afraid of me."

I leaned in, closer to him. "I promise I won't be afraid."

"That's impossible, everyone fears me. Even the things that go bump in the night refuse to touch me. They call me an abomination. That's why I live here, all alone.

I took a few moments to contemplate this, then I said, "You don't have to come out if you don't want to, but if you ever change your mind I'd love to formally meet you."

He didn't respond.

I studied his flower drawings on the cave walls. "Do you like flowers?"

He let out an affirmative squeak.

I unfastened one of the sunflowers from my hair and left it beside his hiding place. "Here, you can keep this to remember me by." I stood up to leave.

"Will you ever come back?" He asked tentatively.

"Would you like me to?"

"Yes. It's lonely here."

Every night I stopped by Elliot's cave, and we'd play together. I taught him to make shadow puppets, and he taught me how to press flowers. He still refused to show himself to me, remaining in the darkest corners of the cave, where I couldn't see him. With every day my curiosity grew, I didn't think it would take this long, and his secrecy was starting to vex me. Little did I know it would take many more years before I ever laid eyes on him.

The seasons changed and the years passed by, and before I knew it I was becoming a young woman. I wasn't the only one who was changing. The people of my village became increasingly disgruntled with the magical valley-dwellers next door. They had always been fearful, but their fear was blossoming into hatred. "Something needs to be done about these magical pests invading our land, they're getting bolder, sneaking onto our land and destroying our property. Someone needs to put them in their place," my father said, banging his fists on the dinner table. My father had been fuming ever since a phoenix burned down our silo.

"She only did that because you turned her eggs into an omelet!" I shouted. I was growing sick of him pretending like the creatures were the only ones at fault here.

"Well, maybe she shouldn't have built her nest in the human side of the forest!"

"How would you like it if-"

I felt the sting of a harsh slap against my cheek. "Stop it, Veronica! You know better than to talk back! Why do you always have to be so difficult!"

No one spoke another word for the rest of the evening. The atmosphere in the house was so tense you cut through it with a wooden spatula.

As soon as the sound of snores began drifting from my parent's room, I slipped out the window. My daring escapes were becoming increasingly perilous. Towering guards equipped with crossbows vigilantly patrolled the town's perimeter. If I were a timid girl, I would have been daunted by their presence, but I am far from fearful. I slipped into the shadows and soundlessly maneuvered past the guards with the precision of a master spy.

Once I arrived in the valley I headed toward Elliot's cave. I knew I was close when I caught a whiff of the delicate fragrance of sunflowers. Elliot saved the flower I gave him until it withered away. Once it had shriveled past the point of no return, he planted the seeds and now a radiant field of sunflowers bloomed outside of his sad, lonely, cave every summer.

I knocked on the cave walls, signaling that I had arrived. The sound reverberated down the darkened corridor. I sat in the makeshift swing Elliot had fashioned from some stolen rope and scrap wood, and waited for him to greet me.

A whoosh of air rustled my hair as he darted behind me. Whipped around as fast as I could, trying to catch a glimpse of him.

Elliot's whiskey-brown glinted in the dark abyss. "Too Slow."

"Come On!" I whined. "This has to be the year."

"The year for what?"

"The year you finally show me what you look like!" I exclaimed.

"Keep dreaming, It's never going to happen."

"Come on, It's been seven years! You can't hide forever."

"I can and I will."

I crossed my arms and let out an annoyed huff.

"I promise you're not missing anything.  I look creepy and gross, you don't want to see that."

I shot him a playful smile. "What if I like creepy and gross?"

He giggled. "You're insane."   

"You know I'll still like you no matter what you look like, right?"

He went quiet for a long time. "You say that now, but my own mother couldn't love this face."

"She's missing out. You're worth knowing."

He let out an incredulous hum but didn't argue further. "Do you have any more of those books I like?"

I rolled my eyes and reached into my satchel. I pulled out a stack of my mother's well-worn regency novels. "I can't believe you unironically enjoy these."

He snatched the books out of my hands and returned to his shadowy nook in the blink of an eye. I heard the sound of papers rusting as he flipped through the pages. "I like them because they warm my monstrous heart. Hating romance doesn't make you superior."

"I don't hate romance, but those ones are so cheesy and unrealistic. Plus, they belong to my mom." I grimaced.

"How do you know that they're unrealistic?  Are you a romance expert now? Do you have a secret band of lovers you've never told me about?"

I let out a sigh. "Unfortunately not. I've never even been kissed. Mother says it's because all of the village boys are intimidated by my rebellious spirit." I allowed myself to dangle upside down on the swing to illustrate my point.

"Those boys are weak. Your spirit is the best thing about you."

"Don't worry. I'm not shedding any tears over their rejection. The village boys are dumb brutes with as much personality as a stack of bricks. They're not my type at all."

Although he tried to play it cool, I noticed him perk up at my declaration. "Who is your type?"

I rubbed my chin in mock contemplation. "I like guys who are shy, artistic, and sensitive. Do you know anyone like that?"

"I don't go outside. How would I know anyone besides you?"

Idiot. What's it going to take for him to get it through his thick skull that I like him?

"I have a gift for you." He said. "Close your eyes."

I squeezed my eyes shut, battling the urge to peek as he secured the gift around my wrist. Once the bracelet was tightly fastened, he gently pressed a kiss to my knuckles. I reached out and caressed his cheek. To my surprise, he did not pull away. At first, his skin felt soft to the touch, but the longer I traced my fingers along his flesh it turned rigid and glossy. It felt like touching shards of glass.

Elliot remained as still as a statue, waiting with bated breath for me to react.

"Kiss me," I whispered.

He didn't need to be asked twice. He leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. At first, it was a light timid kiss. I could barely feel his lips against mine, but he grew bolder once he heard my hums of satisfaction. He tangled his fingers into my chin-length curls and kissed me with desperation. He held me like he needed me, the same way a drowning man needs oxygen. I reciprocated every push of his lips with a pull of my own until we were in perfect harmony. This was so much better than anything in my mother's regency novels.

When we eventually broke apart, he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "You're going to fall in love someday." He whispered softly. "Even if it's not with me." Without another word, he disappeared into the darkest corner of the cave.

To my great disappointment, It was years before he ever kissed me again. I continued to visit him every night, but he felt distant. He knew if he let me close again he would never have the strength to stay hidden. Even so, I always wore the bracelet he made for me. The hand-carved sunflower charm was more precious to me than any precious gemstone.

My whole world changed in the spring I turned eighteen.

"Why do you wear that hideous bracelet all the time?"  My mother would ask me every day.

"It looks like it was carved by a blind child. Wouldn't you like a nicer one? There's a new  jeweler in town, perhaps we can find something more befitting a woman your age."

"No thank you. I've grown quite fond of it," I'd respond.

Afterward, she'd scowl at me and shake her head disapprovingly.

One day, I'd finally had enough of her snide attitude. "Why do you care so much about a stupid bracelet? Why can't you just give it a rest?" I snapped.

She dropped the pan she was washing into the sink, causing a loud clamor. "This is about more than your ugly bracelet, Veronica!"

"Then what is it about?"

"It's about you! Why must you always be so childish? Your unruly behavior has become the talk of the town. No one wants to associate with us because of you."

Her barbed words pierced straight through my heart, but I acted as though I was unaffected. "I could not care less about how anyone in this godforsaken village feels about me."

"How could you possibly be so selfish? Do you have any idea how hard it is for your father and I to watch our only child be deemed a pariah? We've never told you this because we knew you'd protest, but we've been trying to arrange a marriage for you. Your father thought domestic life might help settle you down. We begged every bachelor in town to take you, but none of them would even consider it. They all think you're insane."

"Thank heavens. If I were hitched to any of those deadbeats, I'd put nightshade berries in my tea." I climbed on top of the freshly washed countertops with my muddy boots and grabbed a bottle of my mother's favorite cherry cordial that she saved for special occasions off the top shelf. I popped off the cork and chugged the entire thing in a few gulps. I didn't even enjoy the taste of it, I just wanted to upset her.

When I was finished I handed her the empty glass bottle. In a moment of unbridled anger, she hurled the bottle at the ground near my feet, shattering it into a million pieces. She took a deep breath and said, "Can you for once in your life be serious, Veronica!"

"I am being serious, mother!"

"I know where you go at night!" She snarled through clenched teeth.

I'm not even sure why she said it, but it rendered me speechless. I tried to form a response, but every time I opened my mouth only silence came out.

"Did you think you could sneak out of the house every night and I wouldn't notice?  How stupid do you think I am?"

I finally mustered the ability to speak. "Why didn't you say anything earlier? If you hate the valley so much, why didn't you try to stop me?"

"Because I've seen the look of wonder in your eyes every time we pass by it. I know you love that place more than you've ever loved anyone or anything in this village. I knew I couldn't stop you from going, even if I forbade it. If I tried to keep you out of the vale you'd only grow to despise me more than you already do."

"I don't-" I tried to protest, but she cut me off.

"Spare me. I see the look of disdain on your face at the mere mention of living a life like mine. I can tell that you're utterly repulsed by the thought of becoming like me."

"That's not fair. Maybe you're happy living this life, but I want more than that. I can't stay trapped in this village where everyone hates me forever. I have dreams, mom."

You don't think I ever had aspirations of my own? Do you think my dream was to be a domestic servant to your ungrateful father? I wanted to be an opera singer, and travel the world. All my instructors told me I was destined for greatness."

"What happened?"

"I got pregnant with you. My family threatened to disown me if I had a child out of wedlock. I didn't have enough money to keep a roof over my head, so I was stuck marrying your father. I gave up everything I ever wanted for you."

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Spare me your empty apology, if you really cared you would be obedient. It's the least you could do after killing my dreams."

"I never told you to do any of this. I never asked to be brought into this world. I don't owe you my life because you gave up yours."

"You owe me because you live in my house and benefit from my hard labor. I obeyed my family's wishes while I was under their care and I expect you to do the same," she said sternly.

"I'm sorry mom. I'm not you, and you can't force me to be someone I'm not." I disappeared into my room and locked the door.

My mother pounded on the door. "Veronica! You open the door this instant! Don't you dare ignore me while I'm speaking to you."

I threw everything I could carry into a bag and slung it over my shoulder. Then I finally opened the door. "I'm leaving."

"You can't be serious! Please be reasonable! Where will you go?"

"I'm going to the valley," I said.

She laughed. "Do you seriously think those magical freaks are going to take care of you? You'll come crawling back to me as soon as you learn how harsh the real world is."

I ignored her as I marched toward the exit. Before I stepped out of the house, I took one last look at her. "I hope you find happiness someday, mother."

I fought back the sting of tears as I journeyed into the valley. I refused to show any regret for the choice I made. Although my heart ached with every step I took farther away from the village, I forced myself to carry on. The village was never truly my home. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the honeysuckle air. This is my home.

A swarm of pixies zipped toward me and let out distressed sobs.

"Slow down everyone, what's wrong?" They grabbed my sleeve and pulled me toward the edge of the forest.

A growing sense of dread built up in my heart as I raced after them. They led me to a forest clearing wherein laid the dead bodies of several creatures. A unicorn sprawled out on the ground with a bolt punctured through its stomach. Several dryads had been pierced through the heart for defending their beloved forest. Two griffin cubs wailed in mourning next to their mother's lifeless form. In the center of it stood a man holding a loaded crossbow. I recognized the brown leather uniform he was wearing; that was the same attire worn by the guards from my village. That couldn't be a coincidence. He raised his crossbow and aimed it at one of the cubs.

"Hey, you! Drop the weapon!" I shouted with as much authority as I could muster.

The man whipped around to face me. "Veronica?"

All the breath left my lungs as I beheld the man who committed this unspeakable crime."Father? How could you?"

"What the hell are you doing here? This is no place for you," He scolded.

"What the hell are you doing here, Father? Have you gone mad? Look at how you've slaughtered these poor creatures.

"I'm reclaiming this valley for humankind! It's been ruled by these supernatural invaders for too long! It's time we put them in their place!"

"It never belonged to us! This is their home. You're the one who is invading. All they want is to be left alone."

"I don't have to explain my actions to you," he hissed. "You're just a stupid child." He pointed the crossbow at the cubs once more. I stepped in front of him, blocking his shot. I wouldn't let him kill anyone else today. "Get out of here, Veronica. I'm warning you!"

"No! No one else is going to die on my watch!"

He shoved me face-first into the ground, with far more force than was necessary then returned to his hunt as if I was nothing but a minor inconvenience.

A fierce roar sounded from the treetops above us.

My father pointed his crossbow at the sky. "Who goes there? Show yourself!"

The creature's voice bellowed from above us. "You're not welcome in this valley. Step away from the girl and the cubs, and I won't hurt you."

I couldn't stop myself from grinning. I'd know that voice anywhere. My beloved Elliot had come to save the day. Not only had he left his cave, he did so in the broad daylight for the whole valley to see.

"Don't come near me or I'll shoot!"

The limbs overhead rustled as Elliot traveled along the branches. I could see a vague silhouette, but I couldn't make out any details.

My father couldn't identify where the sound was coming from, so he fired at a random branch. The bolt missed by a long shot, but it was still too close for my comfort. I sprung to my feet and grabbed hold of the crossbow. I tugged with all the strength I could muster, trying to pry it from his hands. He refused to let go, clutching it tighter. We both dug our heels into the ground and heaved with all our might in our twisted game of tug of war. During our skirmish, the crossbow fired. My father was so startled  that he released his grasp on the weapon. I let out a triumphant shout. I held the stolen bow over my head like it was a trophy I had just won. My father just stared down at my stomach with a look of pure horror in his eyes. I was confused by his reaction until I felt the trickle of warmth spread across my abdomen. Dark crimson blood dyed my previously white tunic the color of ripe cherries. Only then did I notice the arrow firmly lodged in my gut. I took deep breaths to calm myself as my vision began to blur. I threw the crossbow as far away as I could manage, before collapsing on the ground.

My father began pacing back and forth, wildly muttering to himself. "Oh my God. What have I done? What have I done!"

"Dad?" I whispered.

He ignored me. "If anyone finds out about this, I'll be hanged for murder! What to do? What to do?

"Dad?"

"No one can prove it was me right? I'll say one of the monsters did it, everyone will believe that. Yes, that's it! I'll tell everyone I tried to save her, but I didn't get there in time!" His footsteps trailed off in the direction of the village.

"Please don't leave me here, dad!" I don't want to die alone." I begged, but he was already gone. I finally opened the floodgate of tears I'd been holding in all day.

The sound of wings flapping descended from the heavens. "Hey, it's okay. You're not alone. I've got you."

"Elliot?"

"It's me. I'm here. You're not going to die, I just need to fetch you a healer." There was a note of uncertainty in his voice, as if he didn't entirely believe what he was saying, but he wanted to give me hope.

"No, don't leave me too! I need you to stay with me," I pleaded.

He let out a solemn sigh. "Okay, I won't go anywhere. I'll be here the whole time, alright?" He intertwined his clawed fingers with my calloused ones.

"Let me see you."

This time, he didn't protest. He closed his eyes and stepped into the light. His muscles tensed as he braced for me to scream in terror or sneer in disgust.

I took in a deep breath as I beheld him for the first time. His appearance was an amalgamation of both human and monster. His flesh was patchwork that alternated from bronze human skin to dark emerald scales; the pattern of his face was split almost perfectly in half, one side man, one side beast. His hair was a warm shade of reddish brown, similar to the color of pecans, and it was surprisingly well-groomed for someone who lived in a cave. On the top of his head sat two twisted horns that were nearly a foot tall. His human-like hands morphed into sharp talons at the fingertips. The most notable thing about him was his gigantic, leathery, bat-like wings. Even though they were partially folded behind him, that didn't disguise how absolutely massive they were in comparison to his average-sized frame. They must have been at least twenty feet wide when fully spread out. I bet they look breathtaking when unfurled. I stared up at him with a big stupid grin painted onto my lips. "Elliot, you're beautiful."

He knelt beside me and inspected my wound, refusing to make eye contact. "You don't mean that. The blood loss is making you delirious."

I cupped his face in my hands and forced him to look at me. "I absolutely do. You're perfect. I'm sorry anyone made you feel differently. You never needed to hide yourself from me. I love you, exactly as you are."

He let out a sound somewhere between a laugh and a sob. He leaned in and softly kissed me. "I love you too."

I pressed his forehead to mine and stroked his hair tenderly.

He glanced down at my wound and burst into tears. "I don't think I can fix this."

I grabbed a hold of the arrow and tried to yank it out.

Elliot grabbed my hands to stop me from proceeding. "Don't do that! It's going to make you bleed out faster!"

"What's the point in prolonging the inevitable?"

"I don't think I can go on without you. My world was so sad and empty before I knew you, and you made me feel things I'd never felt before. I don't think I can go back to living that way."

"Then don't. Stop hiding yourself away. You deserve to be seen. Please go out and live your life to the fullest. Can you do that for me?"

He nodded solemnly.

We heard the sound of a twig snapping behind us. Elliot spun around to search for the cause of the sound, and for the first time I noticed the finned tail that sprouted from his lower back. I stifled a giggle. There was something humorous, yet endearing about the concept of Elliot having a tail. "Show yourself!" Elliot said in a harsh, commanding tone.

A young dryad stepped out from behind a tree with her hands raised in surrender. Her whole body trembled as she took a step forward. "Please don't attack! I can help her! I saw the way you took care of that man with the crossbow, and I thought it was very brave. I was supposed to come and fight, but I was afraid." She swallowed the lump in her throat at the sight of her fallen sister lying dead on the ground. "I thought the least I could do was save you."

"What do we have to do?" Elliot asked.

She unfolded a paper map and handed it to Elliot. "There's a place called the Pools of Restoration. It only appears once every one hundred and sixty lunar cycles. If the legends are true, it will have the power to heal her, but it only works once, so you must hurry. It will appear as soon as the moon rises.

"What about your sisters?" I asked. "Don't you want to save them?"

Elliot scowled at me for suggesting that we save them instead of me.

The Dryad kneeled beside the bodies and covered them in lilies. "The Pools of Restoration are extremely powerful, but even their magic cannot resurrect the dead. You must go while she is still alive."

Elliot didn't need to be told twice. He picked me up and cradled me closely to his chest. Then he unfurled his wings as we ascended into the air. Before I knew it, we were soaring high above the treetops. The blood loss, mixed with the change in altitude, clouded my brain in a drowsy haze.

"Hang in there," Elliot whispered. "We'll be there soon."

I nodded, then rested my head on his chest. "You're not even scary, did you know that?"

"Well, everyone disagrees with you. Did you see the way that poor Dryad was trembling? She was horrified."

"She wasn't-"

"You didn't see the terror of terror in her eyes, Veronica. I'm more familiar with that look than I am with my own name."

"I understand why humans are afraid of you. Most of us tend to be dreadfully closed minded, but I don't understand why the other creatures fear you. There are plenty of creatures objectively scarier than you. Have you ever met Ushi-oni or Typhon? What about Penanggalan? She's horrifying to look at."

"The humans fear me because I am too monstrous, the monsters fear me because I am too human. Humans and monsters are never supposed to breed, but my parents were young, foolish kids in love, and they didn't stop to consider the consequences. When I was born my mother took one look at me and decided I was a wicked, twisted creature, and I was too dangerous to keep around, so she abandoned me."

"Your mother was a human?"

"No. My mother was a monster. My father was a human."

"What about your father? Have you ever met him?"

"Only once, he called me a demon-child and tried to stab me with a pitchfork. I didn't even get the chance to tell him I was his son. I was completely alone until I met you, and that's why I won't let you die."

I nodded sagely as I tried to fight the delirium that was overtaking me. "I like your tail."

He made a wry face, clearly unprepared for the sudden change in topic. "Don't talk about my tail."

"It's adorable."

"It's embarrassing."

"Does it wag when you're happy?"

"I'm not a dog."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"We're here," He said, consulting the map. He swooped down, landing near the center of a clearing of trees. He maneuvered through the ferns and bushes until we heard the sound of running water. Elliot ducked below the sharp branches, still holding me tight, until we reached the clearing. Elliot let out a triumphant laugh. "We did it, angel. We found it!"

I turned my head so I could see what he was looking at. The Pool of Restoration certainly lived up to the legends. The water was the most beautiful shade of sparkling cerulean I'd ever seen. The air was filled with the sound of gentle waterfalls that flowed into the pool, creating a soothing melody that lulled me into a state of relaxation. I closed my eyes and absorbed the peaceful surroundings.

Elliot shook me to keep me awake. "You can sleep when you're healed.

"Fine," I whined, as he set me down in the water. The water was the perfect temperature, not too hot, or too cold. Once my body was fully submerged in the water, I felt a tingling sensation coming from the place of my wound as some of the weariness faded away. "I think it's working."

Elliot knelt in the pool beside me and swiftly extracted the arrow from my abdomen.

The blood quickly dissolved in the water, and we watched in awe as my flesh magically stitched itself back together. As the minutes passed, I felt myself regaining my strength. The pain was mostly gone, and my body had returned to its previously healthy state. I tried to stand, but my legs were still a bit wobbly, so I slipped face-first into the water.

"Veronica!" Elliot dove into the water to rescue me.

I laughed. "I'm alright. It's not very deep. I stood with my feet pressed flatly against the white stone floor for emphasis.

Elliot held on to my shoulders and tentatively did the same. "I guess I may have overreacted."

I playfully pushed his wet hair out of his eyes. "I thought you were very brave." We shared a kiss beneath the light of the full moon, and from that moment on, everything was beautiful because I had him and he had me. What more could we ever wish for? We still believe there's a chance for peace between humans and monsters. If the two of us are able to find love, there's hope for us all.

0