The Ink Of Infinite Possibilties
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shi-Yeon sat alone at the dining room table for the twelfth night in a row, eating a leftover bowl of kimchi stew. She glared at the empty seat where her husband was supposed to be. “My day was lovely, thank you for asking,” she said sarcastically to the non-existent person sitting across from her. “How was yours?” Obviously, the empty chair did not answer. 

 

Her husband, In-Ho, had completely vanished from her life twelve days ago. His disappearance didn’t sadden her as much as she thought it would. She’d long suspected something like this would happen. 

 

In-Ho had been born a free spirit; he was always looking to find hidden excitement in the world. He was like a comet, constantly in motion, searching every corner of the universe for something that made him feel inspired. When she was young, she shared his adventurous spirit, making them an unstoppable pair. At age fifty, she no longer carried the same spark she once did. She could tell he resented her for losing her childlike sense of wonder with age. Couldn't he see that she was an important woman with heavy responsibilities? She had no time for games. Of course, he didn't understand. She was the head curator at one of the most esteemed art museums in New York, and he drew cartoons for the local paper. He couldn’t understand the weight that rested on her shoulders. She had to handle everything from collection development to exhibition planning, to facilitating loans, to public outreach, and budget management. She was so tired at the end of each day, she could hardly stay awake through dinner. 

 

In-Ho never said a word about it, but she could always feel his disappointment. The beige walls of their midtown apartment were like prison bars holding him captive, and she was nothing more than a cellmate he was trapped with. 

 

Shi-Yeon knew the dull monotony of their marriage had become tortuous for him, but she’d hoped that tradition would stop him from leaving her completely. 

 

What enraged her most wasn’t the fact that he’d run away. It was that he was too cowardly to give her an explanation. They’d been married for twenty-eight years, and he couldn’t even bother to leave a voicemail or a letter to tell her he was abandoning her. One day he was here, the next day he had vanished like a ghost in the night.

 

Shi-Yeon glanced around her dismal, desolate apartment, now shrouded in darkness. The deep silence that engulfed her made it clear she had been lost in thought for longer than she realized. She sighed and pushed herself up from the table, her legs feeling heavy with exhaustion. For a moment, she considered going to sleep early, but then another thought occurred to her. No one was here to stop her, why not go to the convenience store and buy a little junk food for once? She hadn’t allowed herself the simple pleasure of candy in ages, and her heartbeat quickened at the thought of rebellion. She grabbed her wallet, slipped on her shoes, and stepped outside. 

 

Shi-Yeon stepped out into the cool night air, her footsteps echoing against the quiet streets. As she walked, she found herself drawn towards the vibrant energy of Koreatown, a neighborhood alive with bustling activity and the aromas of sizzling meat and spicy sauces. The streets were lined with a mix of traditional and modern storefronts, showcasing a colorful array of Korean fashion, beauty products, and home goods. The neon signs of Korean restaurants and shops illuminated the streets, casting a warm glow on Shi-Yeon's face. 

 

Shi-Yeon's eyes landed on a young couple holding hands and strolling down the sidewalk. The woman had her head resting on the man's shoulder, and they were both laughing joyfully, completely immersed in each other. An ache tugged at Shi-Yeon's chest as she remembered the same kind of connection she had shared with In-Ho in their younger years, when their love was still new and untested. 

 

She’d first met In-Ho when they were attending Seoul National University as students of the College of Fine Arts. He’d first noticed her sitting by the window during their art philosophy class. According to him, he’d been immediately enraptured by her sleek onyx hair, high cheekbones, and warm mahogany eyes. He couldn’t resist the urge to draw her. He took out his colored pencils and immediately got to work sketching her features. When he was finished, he folded the drawing and discreetly passed it to her. She was charmed by his gesture and got to work making a charcoal vignette of his likeness. She slipped it into his bag on the way out of class. Thus, began their flirtatious tradition of trading artwork during every class period. He used to call her his perfect muse. Eventually, Shi-Yeon grew tired of waiting for him to make a move, so on the back of one of her drawings, she wrote, Will you go out with me? She waited with nervous anticipation as he scanned the paper.

 

A pleased smirk spread across his lips as he read her message. On a blank sheet of paper, he wrote, Yes! Meet me outside the café at 8 pm, then passed it to her. Her heart fluttered with excitement for the rest of the day. 

 

Shi-Yeon stood outside the café at 7:45, eagerly awaiting In-Ho’s arrival. Her father always told her that arriving fifteen minutes early for engagements made a good impression, and she desperately wanted this evening to go well. 

 

In-Ho appeared from around the corner at exactly eight o’clock. He smirked when he saw her. “Hey, you beat me here. I hope you didn’t have to wait long.” 

 

“I don’t mind waiting for you,” she said a little too eagerly. She silently scolded herself. She was coming off as desperate. She needed to play it cool. “Should we head inside?” 

 

“Not yet. There’s something I want to show you first.” In-Ho led her to the back alley behind the café. Painted on the side of a weathered brick building, was a mural depicting a serene river, with an array of colorful flowers growing along the bank. A family of graceful cranes soared through the air, gliding over the sparkling aquamarine waters.

 

Shi-Yeon gasped in awe at the stunning artwork. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen something so captivating. 

 

“Pretty cool, right? I stayed up all night working on it. Please don’t tell anyone about this. It’s technically vandalism, and I could get expelled if anyone finds out about this.”

 

This masterpiece was so much more than vandalism. This was art in its purest form. No canvas on earth could contain this splendor.“Your secret is safe with me.” 

 

“I was hoping you’d say that because I could use your expertise.” He gestured to the bottom right corner of the wall, which was still blank. “Will you help me finish it?”

 

Shi-Yeon smiled in response. She’d never thought she’d be given a chance to collaborate on something so beautiful. “I’d love to!”

 

In-Ho handed her some brushes and paints. They got to work, talking and laughing as they painted together until the mural was finished. Shi-Yeon had never felt so alive as she watched the art come to life before her eyes. What they had created together could only be described as perfection. The pair parted ways with the promise to collaborate again as soon as possible. 

 

To their great disappointment, the school quickly found the mural and had it promptly and unceremoniously removed. Luckily, they never identified the culprits responsible for the defacing of school property. 

 

Shi-Yeon discovered she loved the rebellious thrill street murals provided, and she accompanied In-Ho on many of his highly illegal creative escapes around Seoul. Together, they made the city their canvas. Although they had several close calls with the police, they were never caught. 

 

By the time they graduated, word of In-Ho’s artistic talents had spread, and he was offered a job as an illustrator in Manhattan. He asked Shi-Yeon to run away to America with him. She couldn’t resist. She loved In-Ho, and she’d always dreamed of adventure. 

 

When Shi-Yeon first arrived in the bustling city of Manhattan, she was spellbound. Everywhere she looked, there were majestic skyscrapers, dazzling lights, and a captivating crowd of people from all walks of life. The aroma of international street food added an extra flavor to the cityscape. She heard a charming symphony created by street dancers and musicians that resonated in her heart. This city was similar to Seoul in some ways, yet it felt completely unique, like being transported to a different realm.

 

One evening, In-Ho took her on a walk to Pier 34 as the sun was setting over the city. Because he couldn’t afford an engagement ring, he proposed with an “I Heart NY” keychain he bought from a tourist trap. She still happily accepted his proposal; she had no need for expensive things as long as they had each other. They shared a tender kiss by the water, and he promised to love her forever. 

 

Now, she clutched that same keychain in her balled-up fist, after he’d abandoned her. He was probably off with some other woman making the same empty promises he’d made to her all those years ago.

 

She couldn’t help but wonder what had gone so wrong between them. The great divide between them didn’t appear overnight. For the first several years of their marriage, life was wonderful. As the years went on they gradually drifted apart. They were both so wrapped up in their personal lives they barely gave the other a second thought. She spent all day tirelessly working at the museum, and In-Ho spent his nights hunched over his desk, perfecting his illustrations. She was like the sun, and he was like the moon, both existing in their own orbit, seldom interacting. Whenever they did come together their conversations became forced and stilted like two awkward acquaintances forced to converse at a company Christmas party. These days they were nothing more than strangers who shared a bed. 

 

Shi-Yeon would often lie to her parents over the phone when they’d express concern for her situation. She’d assure them that everything was perfect here, and she couldn’t be happier. She was far too proud to admit that she was having any regrets about moving halfway around the world with a man she’d fallen in love with before her brain fully developed. It was childish and stubborn, but what did she have left if not her pride? 

 

Shi-Yeon's anger reached its boiling point as she clenched her fist around the "I Heart NY" keychain, her knuckles turning white. The memories of their love, their adventures, and their promises now felt like cruel taunts, mocking her for believing in a forever that was nothing more than an illusion.

 

She scanned the streets for the nearest sewer grate. She stomped over to it and pressed the keychain to her heart one last time before tossing it into the dark abyss. She had no use for it anymore. She stared down into the sewer, unsure of what to do now. The air around her seemed to shimmer and vibrate with an otherworldly energy. Before she could comprehend what was happening, a radiant burst of light erupted from the sewer, illuminating the surroundings in a breathtaking kaleidoscope of colors. She took a step closer, stepping onto the grate to get a better view of what was going on below. Before she had time to react, the grate beneath her collapsed, sending her plummeting into the tunnels below. She fell into murky waters with a loud splash. She peered up through the now open storm drain for any sign of rescue. “Hello? Is anyone up there? I’m trapped down here! Help!” 

 

She shouted for several minutes, but no one came to her aid. Shi-Yeon reached for her cell phone to call for help, only to realize she left it behind when she stormed out of the apartment. She let out a defeated sigh as she realized no one was coming to her aid. 

 

Shi-Yeon noticed a faint glow of blue light emanating from behind her. She turned around to see where the light was coming from. Painted on the brick tunnel behind her was a glimmering, half-finished mural. Even in its incomplete state, the artwork was utterly enchanting. Brilliant stars and planets swirled around a glittering galaxy, spun with masterful brush strokes, and encircled by a velvety midnight blue sky. An enormous orange tiger weaved through the stars in an enchanting ballet, leaving tracks like comets across the moonlit sky. At the center of the piece was a swirling black hole, beckoning her to come closer. Shi-Yeon felt mesmerized by the scene before her and inched closer when, suddenly, the glowing stars seemed to come alive in front of her eyes. The more she got lost in the painting, the more it came to life before her eyes. At one point, she could’ve sworn she saw the tiger blink, but that was impossible. The swirling ink called out to her, begging for her to touch it. She reached out and brushed her fingers against the painted brick wall. The moment she made contact with the painting, a wave of glowing light washed over her, and large words written in white ink appeared in front of her. 

 

“Shi-Yeon? Is that really you? Oh my God! You found me! This is incredible!” In-Ho’s voice echoed throughout the tunnels. The words on the mural shifted to match his words.

 

Shi-Yeon scanned the sewers for any sign of her husband. “In-Ho? Where are you?”

 

“I know this is going to sound crazy, but I’m trapped inside the mural.” 

 

“Is this supposed to be some kind of joke? Because it’s not funny. Come out from wherever you’re hiding!”

 

“It’s not a joke, I swear! I’ve been trapped down here for days. Please! You have to believe me!” 

 

She’d never heard In-Ho sound so desperate in his life. The panic in his voice was palpable. As absurd as his assertion sounded, In-Ho seemed so earnest, and never once in twenty years of marriage had he ever lied to her. As crazy as it sounded, and it sounded extremely crazy, she was almost inclined to believe him. “How did this happen?” She asked, humoring him. 

 

“The black hole sucked me in!” 

 

“What? That makes no sense, it's just a painting.” 

 

“It’s not just a painting, Si-Yeon. It’s alive. I crafted it with magic ink, that’s why it’s moving,” In-Ho explained. 

 

“Magic ink? You’re talking crazy!” 

 

“I know how it sounds, but it’s true,” he insisted. 

 

“How on earth did this happen?” She yelled into the black hole because she had no one else to yell at. 

 

“There’s no need to shout. I can hear you just fine. It all started about two weeks ago. I was so lonely and depressed I couldn’t get out of bed. I called my therapist, and he recommended that I get out of the apartment and do something that made me happy.”

 

“You’ve been seeing a therapist? Why haven’t you told me this?”

 

He released a solemn sigh. “Because we don’t talk to each other anymore, Shi-Yeon. These days, we barely know each other.”

 

She couldn’t argue with him; he was voicing the thoughts that had been floating around in her mind for ages, so instead she prompted him to continue his tale. 

 

“I was so desperate to feel something again, and I realized the times I was happiest were the times I was painting with you. I thought maybe if I started making street art again, I could feel a fraction of the happiness I felt back then. I went to the flea market to pick up some art supplies, and an old woman ran up to me and practically begged me to take these jars of ink from her, claiming they were enchanted. I thought she was being hyperbolic, like the colors are so vibrant, they’re like magic. She didn’t charge me a cent for them, so I took them.”

 

“I warned you about trusting strange people you meet at flea markets!” Shi-Yeon scolded.

 

“Yeah, I should’ve taken your advice on that,” he conceded. “I wanted to work undisturbed, so I decided to go where I knew no one would bother to look for me, the sewers. As I created this painting, I felt alive for the first time in decades. It brought me back to the days when you still loved me, and it made me feel whole again. Then the despair started to consume me again when I reflected on how far we'd drifted apart, that’s when the black hole devoured me.”

 

All the breath left her lungs at the sound of his proclamation. “You think I don’t love you anymore?” 

 

“What am I supposed to think, Shi-Yeon? You’re so wrapped up in your work all the time. It makes me feel like I don’t even exist to you. Can you even remember the last time we spent quality time together? Every day, you’re either too tired or too busy for me. I’m not a priority in your life anymore, and that’s fine. You have many more important things to worry about, but how could I believe you’re still in love with me when you make me feel invisible?”

 

Shi-Yeon's heart sank as she realized the full extent of the damage her workaholic tendencies had caused in her relationship with In-Ho. She had been so focused on her work and her own aspirations, that she had neglected the man she had once loved with every fiber of her being. She hadn’t even noticed that he’d been struggling with depression all this time. Was that why he felt so distant these days? “I’m so sorry, my love. I had no idea what you were going through. I just assumed you’d grown bored of being with me.” 

 

“I could never get tired of being with you, Shi-Yeon. You’re the girl of my dreams. I just wish we were still close like we used to be.” 

“I’m going to make things right. Once I free you from this painting, I promise I’m going to make more time for you. We can start painting together like we used to. Now tell me, how do I bust you out of there?”

 

A low growl emanated from the mural, and the painted tiger began to speak in a low, rumbling voice. “To free your beloved, you must finish what has been left incomplete and bring it to life with your brush.” 

 

Shi-Yeon let out a high-pitched shriek. “The tiger talks?” 

 

In-Ho chuckled sheepishly. “Yeah, it freaked me out too. This is Soohorang, he claims he’s a mystic guardian.” 

 

“Release my husband this instant, foul beast!” Shi-Yeon shouted, waving her fist at the tiger. 

 

“Calm yourself, Mortal. I am not your enemy. I am here to guide you, but you must heed my instructions. The only way to free him from the prison the ink created is to complete the masterpiece,” the tiger explained. 

 

“I can’t do that! I haven't painted anything since university,” Shi-Yeon confessed. “I could never replicate something so masterful.” 

 

“You have to try, Shi-Yeon, If you don’t, I’ll be trapped in here forever!” 

 

Shi-Yeon picked up one of the jars of ink off the ground and stirred it with the brush. “I’ll try my best, but it won't look like yours. I’m out of practice. What did you have in mind for the other half of the mural?”

 

“Your husband cannot help you, the answer must come from within you,” the tiger said.

 

“How should I know what I’m meant to paint if he doesn’t tell me?” Shi-Yeon exclaimed. 

 

“Listen to your heart and let it guide your hand,” The tiger replied. “Find the missing piece of your soul and complete the painting with it. Only then will your husband be free.”

 

Shi-Yeon closed her eyes and searched inside herself for the missing piece. As much as she loved her job, she’d forgotten to make time for all the other things she loved. For years, her life had lacked balance, and that needed to change. She thought back to a time when she was happy doing something besides work. Her mind drifted back to the day In-Ho proposed by the pier. The two of them used to go for walks by the river nearly every day when they were young. She envisioned the gilded sunset over the Huson, and the jars of ink in her hand shifted colors from ocean blue to golden sunset. With each stroke of her brush, Shi-Yeon poured her soul into the painting. The colors swirled and danced in her mind as she brought the sunset to life on the canvas. She lost track of time, focusing only on completing the masterpiece and freeing In-Ho from his magical prison. The longer she painted, the brighter the colors in the painting became. The sunset over the river shimmered in golds, pinks, and oranges, with the surface of the water reflecting the vibrant hues. The image was so vivid that it almost looked like the real thing. As she carefully added the final details, a ferocious roar echoed throughout the sewer tunnels, and a wave of blinding light washed over her. 

 

When she opened her eyes, she realized she was no longer in the sewer. After surveying the familiar sights around her, she realized she’d been teleported to Pier 34. She frantically searched for her husband. “In-Ho? Are you here?” She shouted. 

 

Just then, she felt In-Ho’s arms surround her in a loving embrace. “You did it!” Oh my god, you did it! You were amazing!” He picked her up and spun her around, not at all caring that she was still covered in sewer water.

 

Shi-Yeon let out a startled laugh as he picked her up, thrilled to be reunited with her lost love. She wrapped her arms around him and kissed him deeply. 

 

When they eventually broke apart, In-Ho said, “I have a present for you. I’ve been holding onto it for a long time, but I could never find the right time to give it to you.” He reached into his pocket and took out a jewelry box with a sparkly, gold ring inside. “I owe you one after all these years. What do you say? Do you want to give us a second chance?” 

 

She slid the ring onto her finger and kissed him again. “I do.”

 

The next day, In-Ho and Shi-Yeon returned to the sewers to see what had become of their mural. To their surprise, the painting, along with the jars of ink, had vanished. All that remained was a trail of large paw prints leading toward the exit.

0