Chapter 2: A glimps at freedom
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking back at Master Yi's house from afar is really a bad habit. I can't disappoint him by being off schedule. Better just turn around and head into the depo. This place seems the same no matter how many alterations Seventy-five makes. A sizeable metallic box as grand as a stadium stood before Days on the top of the hill. The rising sun's orange light reflected off, giving it a shine of molten metal in the morning.

Days see something black falling from the side of the building. Panicking, she runs forward, catching it. I opened my hands to see a wriggling little bird fidgeting back and forth before shaking off the pain and fluttering away from her embrace. "Another one, poor birds. I swear, can't Sixty-two do something about painting this thing, or we may not have any songbirds left!" She looked at the little bird and continued to fly away towards the trees, bobbing up and down. She holds a hand to her chest but doesn't know why before turning to walk into the building's front door.

The inside was spacious, lined with marbled stone until an empty desk with a  touchscreen top. Days made some simple motions on the desk before the door on the left clicked open. She walked through a long, narrow blue hallway. At the end, the door clicks open inches before she opens the door herself.

Bright spotlights are shown on her. Days grimaces a little whenever she walks into here. “Hey, Fifteen, dim the light.”

“Sorry, but you know that it is protocol in case of intrusion or prohibition or usage. I mean, yesterday, Eighteen tried to take a car out for what she called a drive since she finished her allotted tasks early,” stated a strained voice over the speaker system.

Days was frustrated and muttered to herself but started walking forward. It took a moment to see the garage. A spacious place where cars and other modes of transportation lined the wall and ceiling, ready to be loaded and shifted around like magazine rounds. The only oddity was the cars near a brightly lit pit where echoes of mechanical gears and motors faintly road and the heavier aroma of oil rolled in the air.

Days stopped in front of the curb. "System 56-Y7-01 mining and transport detail. Worker Twenty-Four is ready for departure, awaiting Thirty-four," reports Days. "Hey, Fifteen, has Bottomless checked in yet?"

"Twenty-four, you know not to use nicknames during working hours, and no, it seems she is running late as you are running early," said Fifteen.

"Figures. Why does she pay so much attention to her looks when we're going to get covered in soil and rock soon anyway?"

"Now you know we all want to look good for the Master. I believe the records said something about him being our father figure."

"When can I look at those records you always talk about?"

"I can't say. As far as I know, only those twenty and below are permitted."

"Sad. Maybe Master Yi will tell me in one of his stories?"

"Possibly, he does dote on you, and it shouldn't be against protocol."

"Great! Keep the good news flowing and get the arm to send the car and transport down. I can get the maintenance and rigging done before Thirty-four gets here."

"That is acceptable, but you will have to have it done at the left motorpool and not the curb."

"But those are for the combat division station along with the sixes. Those girls seem to have it out for me."

"Then wait patiently for Thirty-four."

"Fine, I will twiddle my thumbs and think about what tunes I will be working in, and you can continue to be a disembodied voice. Seriously, Fifteen, how do I even know you are here?"

"Protocol, and we see each other at dinner."

"Fine, I'll wait." Days kick her shoe against the ground and stare at the planes near the ceiling. Wondering how a heavy metal tub can fly in the sky. The creak of the shutter door and spotlights pop on, illuminating and scattering the shadows of the figure that walked through.

She stood in her basic green and brown skin-tight suit with the attachable components already for the mining or combat equipment available for today's departure. She has raven black hair, a well-proportioned figure, green eyes, and a confidence that showed even when the lights blinded her. "Fifteen, I know you can hear and see me from wherever you are. So, turn down those lights already. I can see spots. I don't want to appear to be sick from contracted pupils again! Do you know how hard it is to stay this beautiful," questioned the young woman.

"Thirty-four, there is nothing to be bothered with. They dim down naturally after 5 seconds," said Fifteen.

"Then make the timer less than that. I can already see spots everywhere. How does the master expect us to get work effectively like this," questioned Thirty-four.

"Great for you to finally be here, Bottomless," said Days.

"Days, I am here with the required time, plus I must keep myself in peak condition," said Thirty-four.

"Ladies, we are on the clock save the nicknames and squabbles for dinner and breaks," said Fifteen.

"Great for you to finally be here, Bottomless," said Days.

"Days, I am here with the required time, plus I must keep myself in peak condition," said Thirty-four.

"Ladies, we are on the clock save the nicknames and squabbles for dinner and breaks," said Fifteen.

"Yes, ma'am," said both Days and Thirty-four together.

Gears and conveyors creaked as the vehicles moved around. The big arm extended, grabbed one of the magazines and placed it in the parking lot. Lights blared, and a truck with an extended bed for the minerals and ore for transport.

"Thirty-four, I call gunner," said Days.

"No problem, I have a proper sense of direction outside of the compound," said Thirty-four.

"Sure, it's not only the navigator telling you where to go?"

"No, only pure skill and muscle memory."

"Fine. But if we get lost, you will owe me your desert tonight."

"Just don't go shooting shadows again."

"That was only the first day, and you know it!"

"Do I? I'd call you Figgit if all the others didn't already establish Days as your nickname. Speaking of which, how's the daydreaming going? Got any more future adventures planned ahead."

"You know it," said Days with a wide, toothy smile. She climbed the small ladder on the side and hopped into the turret.

Thirty-four got into the driver's seat and started the truck. She rolled down the window, slapped the side of her door, and said, "Hey Fifteen, We don't got all day. I need to make some beauty cream." The giant metal bulkhead unclasped, allowing the metal door to slowly fall into the ground and open the way outside of the compound. They drove for six minutes before arriving at the gates and the turrets that would lock on them momentarily before they lowered and the gate opened.

Outside the gate was a large expanse of open land with scattered greenery and a few trees with mountains in the distance.

The girls always long for freedom whenever they leave the compound but stop dreaming and focus on what task has been given; despite the difficulty, fear, joy, or desire, they move forward and onto the next day, onto the next task.

 

 

0