Prologue (Rewrite)
149 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A wise man once said that life never goes how you expect it, oh how right he was. Growing up, I always imagined becoming some kind of crack tech wiz, open my own computer store in Minneapolis, get rich, marry a nice woman, have a few kids with whom I can share my love of anime with, then die of old age. What I didn't imagine was getting T-boned by a drunk semi-driver going over 90 mph while I was coming home from college. At least the accident snapped my neck before I could feel the pain coursing through my body. Little victories I suppose.

Good news is that I am not in hell...I think. Rather I'm sitting in a comfortable office chair at an desk, with an oddly familiar blond man sitting across from me.

"Greetings Mr. Alexander," the man said in a British accent, "my name is Johan Schriber."

"Ah...nice to meet you Mr. Schriber," I managed to reply.

"I understand if you're a bit out of sorts; after all, from your perspective, you did just die. I'm sure you have a plethora of questions for me, but I would implore you to hold onto them for now as I will explain everything."

The gist of Mr. Schriber's explanation was that he was an employee for THE Company, the very same company that owns the Waifu Catalog, or basically a CYOA system that gives you points by being an interdimensional slaver, kind of. Apparently they mostly exist to provide entertainment to the plethora of immortal beings across the multiverse. I was being offered a position as one of their field agents, or 'contractors'. Putting moral implications aside, its a very generous offer that includes a reincarnation into the world of my choice, with fucking super powers.

"Well then, where do I sign up?"

"In order to establish your employment contract, you simply need to fill out your build, hit complete, and then you'll be on your way to your new life as a contractor." He gave me a small smile.

"That's it?"

"That's all," he said with a slight nod of his head.

"Well then, sign me the fuck up!" I was practically vibrating with excitement.

"Very then, let's start with your world," he said while sliding over a small tablet for me to use.

Picking it up, I started scrolling before seeing the one I knew I wanted. Clicking on Overwatch, I felt a healthy mix of confusion and disappointment upon seeing a 'not available for current contractor' prompt appear.

"Excuse me Mr. Schriber? It says my selected world is not available for current contractor."

"Oh? Let's take a look here," he said while tapping on the air, presumably some kind of AR interface. "Ah, I see the problem. You are listed as a class 3 contractor, but the tablet was set for a class 1 contractor."

"What's the difference?"

"Well Mr. Alexander, a class 1 contractor is the cream of the crop, so to speak. They are individuals that were exceptional before their deaths, and are given unrestricted access to the Catalog as well as priority on world selection. Class 2 contractors are normal individuals who have positive Karma and are thus allowed access to almost the entire Catalog, save for the legacy options alone."

"Let me guess, the class 3s' are the losers?" I say while raising my right eyebrow, my tone drenched in sarcasm.

"That would be the class 4 contractors actually. Class 4s are given very limited selections, and a mission completion quota. Class 3s' on the other hand are the individuals who are productive members of society, but were never going to amount to more than average."

"Ouch, I'm a class 3 ya know?" I say with a wounded ego, as he just indirectly just confirmed that my plan was not going to happen. "So, what does that mean for me?"

"I meant no offense lad, just stating the truth. As a class 3 you are given access the to the same options as a class 2, but are restricted to unpopular worlds. This means worlds like Highschool DxD, RWBY, One Piece, Azur Lane, Overwatch, and Nikke are on limit for you as a starting world; though you can still go to one of them after completing your starting world. On the bright side, there is no quota of any kind for you to struggle with."

"You literally just named off all of my first, second, and third choice worlds."

"Come now, there are still over 2,000 different worlds for you to choose from. I'm sure there is a world you have wanted to live in."

He wasn't wrong, there are some good ones. Madan No Ou To Vanadis, Stargate, Akame Ga Kill, and Monster Hunter are all good options. I was about to choose Akame ga Kill, when I saw it, Mobuseka, better known as Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs. An enjoyable satirical isekai that pokes fun at most of the genres main quirks while simultaneously having the protagonist fall into a number of them.

It didn't have a particularly impressive magic system, the society sucked, and there were a few nations who seemed to love the idea of genecide. By all accounts it was a poor choice for my next life, but for some reason, I ending up picking it inspite of all the better options.

"Oh? Now that is an interesting choice," Schriber said with a quirked eyebrow. "I believe that less than 0.000001% of contractors haven chosen that particular world."

"That unpopular?"

"Indeed. The world's politics are seen as too much of a pain in the neck, and the potential credits aren't high enough for most contractors to bother with."

"Yeah, that checks out."

"So with that finished, shall we continue with the intensity conditions?"

I nodded. He swiped across the air, and then the screen on my tablet brought up a new page filled with intensity modifiers.

After looking through I decided to go for the Me and My Girlfriends setting to start. No PVP for me, no thank you. Next was 50%/50% to get a higher payout, followed by standard bindings, Heritages Banned, One Each for templates, resistance defenses, manual connection, nomad, delayed, standard warranty, and standard death for the core conditions.

After looking trough the randomizers, I just skipped them entirely and went to the Misc section. I ended up only selecting the power swap banned and interest enforced in order to get me to difficulty 7. Interest enforced might sound like a dangerous thing to pick, but if you never spend more than what you have, then its just a free +1 to intensity.

"Oh ho! No heritages, no power swap, and only resistance defenses? You are a daring one."

I shrugged. "Mobuseka's danger rating is not actually indicative of the truth. In fact if Leon wasn't so lazy he could've easily steamrolled every problem, and he didn't even have powers granted to him by an interdimensional corporation."

"A fair point. Perhaps I'll have to get the world reevaluated after this."

I immediately regretted running my stupid mouth, thinking that I wasn't going to get the points I planned on.

"Don't worry Mr. Alexander, even if the reevaluation does reduce the danger rating, you will be receiving the same amount of points as you see on your tablet right now."

I let out a sign of relief. "Thank god! You scared me for a second there."

"I understand your relief, after all I used to be sitting where you are a good 4,000 years ago."

"You used to be a contractor?"

"Indeed my boy! In fact, most employees for the company are former contractors who got bored after reaching such heights of power that every problem was removed with merely a flick of our wrists. The most fun I ever had was the start of my journey, when I had to plan, hide, and claw my way to victory!"

"That...makes a lot of sense actually."

"Indeed, but for now shall we continue?"

"Oh! Ah, yeah. Let's do that."

For my origin I went with the obvious, Substitute in as Leon Fou Bartfort for a measly 10 points. I mean seriously, what other choice was there? Let Leon run around and make a mess of things?! I think not! Besides Nicks and Balcus are two of my favorite side characters of all time. Definitely homies I could kick back and have a beer with.

"Substitution is a good choice to ensure smooth integration. I chose to substitute myself into a side character actually."

"That so?"

"Yes I became a butler for one Mr. Wayne," he said with a smirk.

"Holy shit! No wonder you look like fucking Michael Caine. You're Alfred Pennyworth."

"I was Alfred Pennyworth, but like most old contractors I use my original name."

"Really?"

"Indeed. Otherwise I would share a name with at least 10,000 other contractors."

"Huh, I suppose that makes a lot of sense actually."

"No need to worry so much, for you are just a young lad beginning your journey," he said with the look of a kindly grandfather teaching his grandson to fish. It was kind of weird to see such on look on a person who looked 28, but I could feel his compassion even so. After a moment he gestured back to the tablet.

"Let's continue. I'm sure that you'd rather be starting your new life rather than listening to an old man ramble on."

"Sure....just for the record though, I don't mind listening to talk. I do have twice as many ears as mouths after all."

"Well I appreciate your consideration my boy. Most contractors I work with only care about themselves, so its nice to meet one like yourself," he said while cracking a toothy smile. I couldn't help, but smile myself.

Turning back to the tablet, I found myself at the Patron section of the catalog. I was originally planning to grab The First Contractor as my patron, but then I reread The Angel of Benevolence's description. If you pick her, you can no longer use your binding to force people to love you/swear their loyalty to you. I mean yeah, it meant that I wouldn't be able to pull strong opponents to my side easily, but was that really so bad? I would rather have to work for my retinue's love/loyalty, rather than knowing that the only reason they love me is because of a brainwashing stamp.

Since I couldn't really make use of any bindings anyway, I just picked Company Stamp since it was free. Sticky Fingers was a great option, since I have very little romantic experience outside of a short high school fling that never got past first base, she was damn fine too. Faerie Feast was useful in daily life, being able to cook 5 star meals on the low end is just incredible. White Knight was quite expensive at 30 points, but was literally tailor made for this world. Finally, I picked up Stud Service because its reliable and easy to use.

Most of the options in the home section were grayed out thanks to my choice of the Nomad intensity perk. This meant no Pocket Apartment, no Sweet Home, and no Grand Manor, but Pocket Space was still available, thankfully. So a small scale personal magic item box it is. Next was the talents and defenses.

Body Tune-Up is a no brainer. Guaranteed good looks, high starting fitness, and 20/20 vision were well worth the mere 5 points invested. In a world of swords and magic, Martial Talent and Soul Talent are must haves. Wild Talent will be useful when dealing with the world's various dungeons, and will also help out when its time to grab Luxion. Educational Talent is useful for helping build my own loyal forces, and will be exponentially more useful later on.

For the defenses there were only three that I deemed a necessity. Mobuseka was a world of feudal kingdoms and political intrigue. So I found it convenient that the catalog offers Body Defense, which provides strong resistance to all poisons and diseases. Wild Defense is useful in almost any situation, especially since air conditioning and central heating are either extremely rare, or nonexistent in the world I was jumping in to. Finally I purchase Possession Defense to prevent the Saintess from trying to take over Olivia.

The misc section had three useful abilities. Sexual Calibration to make sure I wasn't a one-pump chump. Fertility Calibration I made sure that I wouldn't have any little monsters running around calling me dad before I was ready. Normalcy was useful for making sure people didn't get all pissy about me courting all the good girls, especially since most of Mobuseka's heroines are nobles.

Finally, I got to one of the most importantly choices for me, which character template I wanted. The problem with Mobuseka is that template's are mostly useful before you grab Luxion, who single handedly solves most of your problems. The reason this is a problem is because Luxion won't except you as his master if you are anything that isn't human, even then you still need the old-human gene that Leon or Marie has(got that covered with substitution). This means that my favorite templates like Sirzechs(Highschool DxD), Replicator(Stargate), Warspite(Azur Lane), and Superman(DC) are all off limits.

I was debating going for either Ayato Amagiri(Gakusen Toshi Asterisk), or Wave(Akame ga Kill). I was about to select Wave but, then I remembered what Mr. Schriber had told me previously about his career, and ended up picking a template I had never even considered before.

Seeing my selection, Mr. Schriber right eyebrow rose in confusion. "That is certainty a unique choice, especially for a swords and magic world."

"I know. I was about to pick Wave from Akame ga Kill, but then I decided against it. Plus I love the Bungie Halo games!"

"That doesn't explain why you would choose a Spartan out of every option you had access to."

"Master Chief isn't just any old Spartan, he's THE Spartan!"

Mr. Schriber quirked an eyebrow. "I apologize. I meant no offense."

"No, you don't have anything to apologize for. I got to worked up, that's all."

"I see. Well then, might you be willing to enlighten me as to why you picked Master Chief for your sole template?"

"Sure the reason is, besides the fact that it's motherfucking Master Chief, being a Spartan offers some useful physical benefits and equipment. I mean, increased base strength, improved durability, faster reaction speed, ceramic coated bones, and near perfect night vision are all incredibly useful enhancements. Plus Mjolnir armor is badass and tough."

"Even so, there are a plethora of beings whom would offer you all that and more. I would advise reconsidering, as you only have one template."

"That may be true that there are plenty of characters that would eat Master Chief for breakfast, but then I was remembered what you said."

He looked at my with a confused expression. "And which words were those my boy?"

"You had the most fun of your life when you were at your weakest. When you had to plan, claw, and scrape, that was when you felt most alive. Besides, if I want to get stronger I can use added potential to get access to any power system I could possibly want."

He let out a small chuckle. "I'm surprised that from every I said that is what resonated with you the most."

"I told you I didn't mind chatting with you old man," I say with a smug look.

"Careful lad. I my be old, but I'm not senile yet," he says with a chuckle. "Well then, after purchasing your Master Chief template, you have 39.5 points remaining. Are you going to spend them, or save them for a rainy day, as you Americans would say?"

"I'm super tempted to purchase Cornelia Li Britannia(Code Geass), Gamma(Eminence in Shadow), or Beatrix Brehme(Muv-Luv/Schwarzesmarken), but I think I hold off for now."

"A fine choice my boy. Better to have them and not need them, rather than the contrary."

"That's what I was thinking."

"Alright then, I believe that is everything. Now its time for you to go." He gave me a reassuring smile. "Go enjoy your life my boy, and let nothing hold you back from seizing the day."

Taking a deep breath I nod, "right! Life waits for no man."

He hit a few buttons, then my vision started going white.

"Wait!" He turned and looked back at me. "Will I every see you again?"

He chuckled, "I'm sure we'll meet again, in time."

Then everything went white.

---
AN: Its been a long time since I bothered with this story, but I just didn't like where it was going, and how it was getting there. I kept giving myself deadlines which meant that I cared more about getting something out, as opposed to making something good. To remedy this problem, I have decided to do a rewrite of the series. Without those constricting deadlines, this change should result in higher quality and a better story. I hope you guys like it!

8