Chapter 00 – The Appointment
869 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What is the first animal that comes to your mind?" The psychologist asks, as she gives me an investigative look.

This is the second session that I'm compelled to attend, and so far, no progress. In the first session, I had to draw a tree. I wonder how many more childish games like this my parents will force me to go through.

"Speak the first thing that comes to your mind, Jean." She smiles politely, trying not to pressure me.

The thing is, the first "animal" that comes to my mind isn't exactly an animal... It's something else.

"D-dragon..." I mutter, feeling embarrassed.

"A dragon? Like a Komodo dragon or like the ones in the movies?" She asks, jotting down notes.

"Like the ones in the movies..."

"The first animal that comes to our mind symbolizes how we see ourselves or how we wish to be. Do you see any similarities between yourself and a dragon?"

"I don't know... I guess so..."

"Dragons are vicious creatures... Your parents are concerned about you due to your behavior lately. You've been a bit aggressive and withdrawn." She begins to dissect her diagnosis.

"Do you see yourself as a dragon? Secluded on a mountain, burning anyone who dares to approach?"

"I... I don't know. Maybe?"

"You're not a monster, Jean. You just need to open up more. Go out more, interact more with people your age."

Oh my hell, I hate people my age. Actually, I hate almost all kinds of people.

"Your parents mentioned that you have a school trip this week. Are you a bit anxious?"

"I'd rather not go." I respond dryly.

"High school can be quite challenging at times. Is there something specific that you dislike about your school?"

"Everything."

"I see..." She makes a few more notes.

"And is there anything that interests you? Any particular class? Club activity? Sport? Anyone, perhaps?"

"No... No one." I answer, turning my face away. I should have said "nothing" instead of "no one". Now she must think there is "someone".

How I hate this kind of thing. I can't wait to move out of my parents' house and not have to go through this kind of shit anymore. There's nothing wrong with me. It's not my fault that everyone around me is mediocre and annoys me.

"I see..." The psychologist says, releasing a sigh.

After a few more pointless questions, the appointment’s time is up. 50 minutes of my life that will never come back.

"I hope you have fun on your school trip." She says as I gather my things, ready to leave.

"Remember, Jean: you are not a monster." She speaks as I leave the room. I just nod my head goodbye.

A few more weeks, and this will come to an end.

 

22