Chapter 10 – The Unicorn Question
284 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The foundations of the city continue to expand in all directions. More residents are arriving, even from outside the Darog steppes. But most of the houses built on the distributed lots are, at best, mediocre. With all the stone being used in the construction of the castle, main streets, and outer walls, the majority of the constructed residences are wool and fabric tents.

Fortunately, there is an abundance of these materials. The crown's sheep herds have grown immense, as have the flax and cotton plantations.

The greatest deficiency is still metal. The open mines produce little iron. After discussing with the orc Farat and the cambion Kheldash, we have decided to establish an outpost near the Korath Mountains. The objective is to open mines there in the coming years. The mines in the current quarry are insufficient. To obtain more ores, we would have to dig deeper. The problem is that we might encounter a route to Eskira, the underground kingdom of the trows.

The trows are more delicate trolls, but quite intelligent and vicious. If dealing with the forest trows is already difficult, the ones in the underground are a real pain. It's better to disturb Korath than to deal with them.

 

§ § § § § §

 

In addition to the chronic shortage of metals, there is another troubling problem in my realm. A problem that runs wild across the prairies with its four hooves. Unicorns!

The only territory in the Darog steppes that is not under my rule is where the unicorn matriarchal herds are located.

These creatures resemble horses, but according to Farat, they are closer to goats and cows. Unlike horses, they have hooves with two toes instead of one, four ruminant stomachs, and a single horn on the forehead.

However, these creatures are extremely intelligent and can cast magic. Which makes them extremely dangerous.

When I was younger, before hibernating and recovering my memories, I saw a herd of unicorns and decided to approach. More out of curiosity than hunting.

When the matriarch of that herd spotted me, she hit me with a magic beam making me fall and preventing me from flying again. At the time, it felt like my body had become heavier, hindering flight, but now I understand it was some kind of counter-magic that nullified my Dragon Flight. And actually, my body was always too heavy to fly without this ability.

The magical abilities of unicorns vary according to their habitat. Unicorns that inhabit open fields, such as the steppes, often possess long-range magic like the one that struck me. It's quite problematic for me.

If I already had the druid's wild shape feat, I could transform into a heavily armored beast and charge against them. But I don't have that feat yet. So I gathered with Farat and Kheldash to discuss what to do about the unicorn question. 

The meeting took place in my current lair, the first gallery dug beneath the castle construction site. It's not very large, but it's better than sleeping in the open square of the village like I did in the first few months when I came here.

We usually meet to discuss these matters at night when the noise from the excavation in the rest of the gallery or the construction of the castle above subsides.

For Shaman Farat, the best course of action is to leave things as they are and try not to get involved with the unicorns for now. However, the hobgoblin cambion Kheldash has a different idea. She has a plan to make a deal with the unicorns: propose citizenship to them.

"The unicorns would retain control of their lands and be accepted in the capital and future cities of the kingdom." The red-skinned cambion begins to explain her plan. 

"In return, they must pledge not to attack caravans that pass through their lands."

"But unicorns are shy creatures. They don't usually attack without provocation." The gray-skinned shaman questions. "This last part seems unnecessary to me."

"Quite the opposite." Kheldash responds. "That's the most important part. The unicorns will think that all we want is the security of trade routes that may pass through their territories, but what we really want is for them not to see us as a threat. If we commit to not interfering too much with their way of life in exchange for something as simple as not attacking caravans, they will be more inclined to form an alliance with us."

"Hmm… Let's try to make them subjects." I endorse Kheldash’ plan.

"Then at least let me go and deliver the message to the herds." Shaman Farat requests.

"Vara, select the best scouts to accompany Farat on this journey." I ask the elder goblin.

"Is the evil dragon worried about me? How touching." Farat jokes.

"You're literally blind. I worry if you stray off the wrong path."

"I don't know how I've survived until now without your help, 'your majesty.'"

"Neither do I." I retort, playing along with Farat's teasing. He's been a bit grumpy lately because I've been listening to Kheldash too much. He still doesn't fully trust her.

 

§ § § § § §

 

After Farat delivers my message to the unicorns, the matriarch of the largest herd demanded a meeting with me.

I soar over the steppes toward the rendezvous point. Below, a small retinue accompanies me, mounted on jackguars and worgs. Kheldash rides a gavaudan, an even fiercer version of a worg, while Farat has transformed into a gray-coated unicorn.

In the distance, I can already see half a dozen steppe unicorns waiting for us. Among them is Abadral, the matriarch.

These unicorns resemble a mixture of horses and antelopes. Their horns are spiraled, their manes are short, and the tips of their tails have a tuft of hair.

 

§ § § § § §

 

As my retinue approaches the meeting point, I land gracefully just behind them and begin to stare at the herd.

"So it is true. A wyvern has made itself king among the goblins." Abadral speaks through magic. The projected voice is old but strong and filled with dignity. She represents not only her own herd but all the herds of the steppes.

"I am not just a king of the goblinoids, but of all the Steppes of Darog. These lands are mine now." I reply.

"You speak like a humanoid! The land has no owner!" Another unicorn, more agitated, neighs and rears up on its hind legs.

"Quiet, child!" Abadral scolds him. "So tell me, 'king' of Darog, how will your reign be? Tell me what good a dragon ruling goblinoids will bring to these lands. Depending on your answer, our herds might become part of your kingdom."

"How will my kingdom be? Are you afraid I will be a tyrant?"

"I am old, dragonling. I have witnessed firsthand the terror that Gwenuin, the Purple Demise, brought upon the world. Not even this distant continent was spared from his rage."

"Gwenuin was an evil spirit, matriarch." Shaman Farat interjects. "Brought to this world by the Lent of Fairies.

But this wyvern is a child of the steppes, just like all of you. Just like all of us.

And he will not rule only the steppes. This continent has suffered enough from tribal wars and vicious beasts. We will create an empire that will rid all violence from this land."

The matriarch falls silent for a moment. Even Kheldash is impressed by Farat's words. I just need to give them a little push now.

"My empire will happen, whether you like it or not. What I am offering now is the opportunity for you to help build it. In doing so, you can defend your interests in the new order that will be established.

In a few months, when the foundation of my kingdom completes its third year, the Council of Folks will be formed to decide the future of the empire. As the name suggests, each race that pledges allegiance to me will have a representative with a voice in the council.

Now tell me, Elder Abadral, what will your kin choose? Will you sit at the table of civilized races or wander the wilderness like mindless beasts? But think carefully, for a new world is being born, as you know it too.”

 

“And all dangerous beasts will be tamed or slain."

15