Chapter 15 – Wildshaping
250 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been two months since I began the conquest campaign towards the east. Kheldash believes that by the end of the year, we will control most of the Desert of Maz.

Our first priority is to create safe routes through the desert by eliminating sandworm colonies that could pose a threat.

The northern part of Maz is less arid, with sand giving way to prairies and savannas. An invasion starting from Gorkaki to Shaxai could easily avoid the desert. However, Kheldash advised us to focus on the desert and Ialdai.

If we go north, the neighboring kingdoms and tribes will become alert and may try to retaliate to contain our advance. This would plunge our kingdom into a constant state of war. The ideal strategy is to conquer one piece at a time. After all, time is on my side.

Ialdai is an isolated city, surrounded by the sea to the south and the desert to the north. Once we conquer it, it will be very difficult to take it from us.

However, it will also be challenging to conquer it...

There is an hobgoblin saying that goes, "One must first conquer the Desert before conquering Ialdai." And so we shall do.

But I'd rather leave all war preparation and strategy to Kheldash and her pawns.

All I want now is to wildshape and kill some sandworms.

 

§ § § § § §

 

Although the extermination of sandworms along the route we are creating is going smoothly, I'm having difficulties with the land shapes.

Transforming into flying beasts is easy. Not only are their movements and fighting styles similar to mine, but they also have similar feats.

For example, the roc bird is quite straightforward: it attacks only with its beak and talons without any magical combat abilities. However, these birds, larger than wyverns, have a feat similar to Dragon Flight that allows their giant bodies to fly. It’s called the Ziz Flight. And if I can use it in my original form, I can grow as big as a roc bird without worrying about being stuck on the ground.

On the other hand, land shapes are quite complicated for me. I feel uncomfortable running on all fours for too long. Flying is much, much better.

Shaman Farat said that with time, I will get used to the different forms of locomotion. He also advised me to choose a wildshape and stay in it as long as possible. This way, it will be easier to get accustomed to similar shapes.

Obviously, I chose the shape of a drake, similar to Ralkor, but much, much smaller. Basically, it's me, but with front legs instead of wings.

I didn't choose a mammal because the way they move is too odd for me. Farat said it has to do with the position where their limbs are attached and the arrangement of the muscles. The limbs of reptiles are generally attached to the sides of the trunk, while those of mammals are below. Just compare where the legs of a horse come from and where the legs of a lizard or crocodile come from.

Farat also explained about the waves of locomotion. Reptiles tend to make an S-shaped movement when they move, placing one front leg ahead and then the other. Meanwhile, mammals place both front legs ahead, arching their bodies upward. That's why there are no mammals that slither like snakes or fishes. Even dolphins and whales swim differently from fish and aquatic reptiles, which is why the position of their tail fins is different.

So I was wondering, if there are mermaids in this world, how would they swim? How would their tails be? Would it be horizontal like a dolphin's or vertical like a fish's? Or would it be like a fish's tail but horizontal, like the mermaids from Earth?

Farat satisfies my curiosity by explaining that mermaids are actually fairies. Creatures from the Astral. And their physical manifestation in our plane varies greatly.

But he also explains that there are various sea-dwelling beastfolk with a vaguely humanoid appearance.

Speaking of humanoid appearance... I couldn't.

I still haven't been able to transform into a humanoid shape.

Farat advised me to start with bipedal forms, like the terror birds. The way they run is strange, but much better than the way mammals run.

So, for now, I keep switching between these three wildshapes: roc, drake, and terror bird. Later on, I'll replace the roc form with that of a dragonet, to practice reducing my size.

 

§ § § § § §

 

Almost one year since we started our campaign in Maz. The rulers of Ialdai are well aware of our success in the desert. Many of them are already talking about opening the city gates for us.

We control safe routes in the wastelands. Paths free of sand beasts with safe oases for resting.

This could mean two things to the ialdai: an open route for trade or a clear path for a conquering army to pass through.

Kheldash is trying to arrange a meeting with the city's lords. For that, I need to train my humanoid shape.

If they see me as one of their own, negotiations may go more smoothly. Whether it leads to complete submission or vassalage.

If it were just goblins or bugbears, who know nothing but strength, my draconic form would be enough. But in the city, there are many hobgoblins, cunning beastfolk, and even trows.

For a large and diverse city, public opinion matters as much as an army. But then again, these are Kheldash's words.

 

§ § § § § §

 

While the cambion attends to our interests in Ialdai, Farat and I keep training my wildshape. The best humanoid form would be that of the dragonmen from Imalor. But I have never seen a dragonman, so it's a bit difficult to imagine. So let's aim lower, at the lizardmen from the desert or from the jungles of Ul-Gak.

A goblinoid form would be more useful though. A hobgoblin or orc would be ideal. But Farat fears that a non-reptilian form would be too difficult for me to maintain for long. And once I acquire a humanoid form, it will be quite challenging to create another one.

I need to have a clear image of what I want to transform into. To take everything I've trained in the past months and apply it to a single form.

Front limbs like those of the drakes, the bipedal stance of the terror birds, the small size of a dragonet...

I dive into the oasis pool as I try to visualize my humanoid form. Farat is sitting by the edge, "watching" with his milky eyes.

It's a moonless night. The waters of the pool grow darker as I sink. All my senses seem to numb.

Good.

This way, it becomes easier to visualize what I need to become.

A shimmering image begins to form in front of me. It's smaller, about the size of a person.

"Here it is. The size is right, now I just need to shape it." I think to myself.

Long, slender legs with five toes. A long, prehensile tail. A torso that is also slender and not very muscular. Long arms with five fingers as well. The head taking shape resembles that of a lizard.

"Nothing too noble or intimidating, but a geckoling will do." I think as I start assimilating the humanoid form.

But something happens.

The figure before me starts to smile. It's a sly grin.

Its large reptilian eyes close, and when they open again, the vertical pupils disappear, replaced by round ones. The eyes color changes from ochre yellow to blue.

The creature begins to laugh. As it does, the reddish-brown scales start falling off, as if the creature is unraveling.

Although, as the pieces of scales fall, I glimpse something underneath.

White and smooth skin.

Covered in freckles in some places, like the shoulders.

The image starts laughing maniacally as it metamorphoses in front of me. It bends down and puts one of its hands on its face, holding the shedding scaly skin. One o its blue eyes look deeply at me between the fingers - some of them reptilian, others humanling.

In a burst, the image rips off the skin from its face while laughing.

I recognize that face.

It's me.

My former self.

I open my eyes. I'm almost out of breath underwater. I start swimming when I realize that my wings have been replaced by hands. Human hands, it seems.

I emerge gasping for air.

"Did you do it?" The orc shaman asks me.

I look at my reflection in the water.

My former self.

Almost identical. Even my freckles...

But not entirely.

My hair remains long and wavy, but the color is different. Instead of brown, it has a reddish hue. Like copper. Just like my scales. 

My eyes are a grayish blue instead of green. They resemble those of my draconic form a lot.

And my ears... Oh...

"You seem to be smaller." Farat notices, Ralkor knows how.

"I think we have a problem..." I finally answer.

As the orc hears my humanoid voice, his eyebrows arch in a mix of surprise and concern.

 

"I think I've turned into a damn elf."

14