v2c22 Lifts All Boats
115 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... and then this bastard refused to apologise!" Hou Bohai declares arrogantly, gesturing wildly at Mo Jianyang, who for his part, just glowers sullenly as he's insulted.

"There was nothing to apologise for!" he retorts, "If anything, he should be apologising to me!"

They look like they're about to launch at each other and start fighting again, but Zhou Cheng's Qi presses down enough that both of them remember the situation they're in.

"Mo Jianyang," Zhou Cheng begins, sounding more irritated than anything, "Do you disagree with Hou Bohai's retelling?"

Mo Jianyang scoffs. "I do disagree. The one who first claimed the title of the Rising Tide was this Mo Jianyang! This bastard was simply jealous of it, and tried to steal it for himself!"

"You dare call my father a liar then, Mo Jianyang?!"

"I call you a liar!"

This time Zhou Cheng has to rap his knuckles against the rock he was using as an impromptu tea table, pinning each of them with a hard look to cow them a little more. "And how long has this… disagreement been going on for?"

"Two years," Hou Bohai grumbles, still glaring at his… nemesis. I hesitate to use that word, if only because the two of them are like, twelve. They're too young to have a nemesis is what I want to say, but really, it's just that this is so incredibly silly a thing to have such an incredibly huge fight over.

It's a nickname. That's all. But neither one of them is willing to back down over it, and so they keep scrapping.

"I see," Zhou Cheng mutters, "I will need a moment to consider this. Just…" He hesitates for a moment, unsure of what to say or how to continue. "Just… Hou Bohai, go over there. Mo Jianyang, over there."

Oh my god he's putting them in timeout.

Both of them shuffle off, clearly disgruntled but unwilling to argue with him at this point - I suspect they'll only tolerate so much just because Zhou Cheng is stronger. They, after all, have the backing of Sects. But I suspect the Sects care about as much about their little spat as I do - it seems like the kind of situation they'd just tell them to sort it out on their own.

After all, if one of Hou Bohai's senior's intervenes, then one of Mo Jianyang's must or their Sect, the Whispering Sea Lodge, must or they risk losing face. And that's how you get a Sect War, and as much as I fully believe the average Sect is probably not full of great people, I doubt any of them are that eager to have a full blown war… over a nickname used by a pair of kids.

Zhou Cheng pinches the bridge of his nose, and I take it as my cue to pour him another cup of tea. "This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. How can they fight over something so… petty?"

"Didn't you tell me you got into a full blown fight with another Disciple after they touched Kong Meiling?"

He makes a face. "That was different. He started a fight, we were just defending ourselves. These two are picking a fight with each other - in the middle of a marketplace!"

I suppose I can at least sort of agree with that. I wasn't there, but I could absolutely see her slapping someone for grabbing her like that. "Then what will you do? You've chosen to intervene. Now you bear responsibility for the outcome."

"I couldn't just let them fight in the middle of everything like that," he mutters mulishly.

I incline my head lightly. "It's not that I think you were wrong, Cheng-ge - I applaud you, in fact. But perhaps maybe next time, have a plan for what comes next?"

He puffs his cheeks out a little. "I had a plan and it was to render a judgement. How am I supposed to make a judgement on this? It's stupid."

"Why do you need to make one at all?" I counter, settling my hands in my lap. "You intervened because they were about to fight in the middle of the marketplace. We're in the middle of a field now." It was a great place for a picnic, actually, with a lovely view of the beach - just close enough to feel the sea, but not so close I was worried about getting sand everywhere.

"... You think we should just let them fight?" He seems surprised at that, but he's considering it.

"I think that we don't have a responsibility to solve their dispute for them - and any decision you make would just breed resentment." I take my own cup of tea with both hands and give it a careful sip. Ah… that's a good blend. "They want to claim themselves as 'Rising Tides'? Then whoever wins is the true Rising Tide, and the other one is just a wave."

He scratches his chin slightly. "That does sound fairer," he murmurs, "It's a pity Tian Mingfei isn't here. She'd love to watch a fight."

"She'd love to get involved, rather." Probably for the best she isn't here. "There's no reason for them to kill each other over it. Just let them determine a victor."

"And if it's a tie?"

"Well, at least they'll have burned off some energy?"

He shakes his head a little but stands up, catching their attention with a clap of his hands. "Hou Bohai, Mo Jianyang! I have come to a decision…"

I suppose whilst they do that, I should get started on lunch. And I did promise Zhou Cheng some tanghulu…


Preparing the tanghulu is, really, incredibly simple and fast so I leave it for last - it's best enjoyed before the syrup coating basically turns into rock, anyway, unless you prefer sucking on the fruit until it melts. I don't, personally.

Just having tanghulu with tea is fine, but it's hardly a meal, and… well, I don't have to feed Hou Bohai and Mo Jianyang, but they're here, so I might as well. Let it never be said that I am not a gracious host!

I, Hei Lian, shall feed the Heavens!

… No, that's silly. Moving on before Zhou Cheng sees me posing with my spatula like a dork.

Other good snacks for tea… hm. Mooncakes? It's not the MId-Autumn Festival, but I've never let that stop me from eating them before. And for something a bit more filling and savory, I can make Lotus Leaf Buns with some… what do I still have in stock in terms of meat… well, I still have some of those rabbits, so why not those.

First, I'll prepare the yeast for the buns - just some warm water, a little sugar, and some yeast in a small jug for later.

The dough for mooncakes is also fairly simple, all things considered - golden syrup, lye water, oil, and some flour. Measure them out, sieve the flour, mix together. Once it all comes together, I would normally put it in the fridge to cool and relax. I don't have a fridge, so I just bring the temperature down with a few nudges from my Qi and cover it with a cloth for now.

I start humming gently to myself as I set that aside, and mix together the dry ingredients for the buns - no particular melody, just kind of making it up as I go along. The now foamy yeast goes in, mixing until it's incorporated and then for the fun part. Kneading dough.

I'm tempted to ask if Cheng-ge wants to get involved, but he's busy laser focused on the Rising Tides as they fight. Both being in Qi Condensation, neither of them are really throwing around any flashy techniques, and just kind of going at it, Kung Fu style.

Well, I'll leave him to it. The dough's about ready for proofing, so I put that aside as well, make sure the mooncake dough is still chilling with a quick touch of Qi, and then prepare the steamers.

Got a lot to steam today, it seems. I suppose I can mince up the leftover rabbit as well, but it's all already grilled. Warm it up a little in a pan over a low heat as well… maybe add some sauce. A little hoisin could help.

Now, that mooncake dough should be about ready and… ah. I don't have a press to shape it with. Hm. I could just use my hands and make some roundish lumps. I doubt anyone would care that they don't look right, because they're not really mooncakes that way.

But I would care. Cooking is the one thing I allow myself to take pride in, so… can I use my Qi to shape it?

Roll out the pastry, cut it out, wrap some lotus seed paste… and then cup it in my hands and focus. Don't let the Qi bleed off because I need that thank you very much, but just… shape. Focus on the shape. Lovely little mooncake shape with… uh. Rabbits. Fuck it, why not, we'll make little moon bunny cakes.

… Hey, that turned out pretty good! It's a little off, so I'll try it again, but I've got time.

It takes me maybe four, five tries before I get the hang of it, and soon I have lovely little bunny cakes to go into the steamer alongside the buns. Buns and buns. Heh.

Once everything's cooked, I plate it up and move over to where Zhou Cheng is still intently watching them duke it out. And I mean duke it out.

I'm pretty sure they're justpunching each other now. Not even like boxing punching but straight up slugging.

"Lian-er, remember when I said this was the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed?" he begins, which is just a great start to a conversation. "I take it back. This is the dumbest thing."

"Are you not going to stop them, then?"

He makes a face. "There isn't a victor yet."

"I don't think there's going to be one." They seem pretty evenly matched, in stubbornness if nothing else. They're barely standing, but they just keep swinging. It's amazing one of them hasn't fallen over yet. "You should probably stop them. I can patch them up, and we can have lunch."

He chews that over a little bit, and sighs. "That's enough, both of you!" he calls, projecting his voice with a flicker of Qi, "Come over here and get treated. This isn't going anywhere."


Treating both of them is pretty simple, because the worst they have is some bruises and maybe a fracture. Some salves for the bruises and everyone sits down for lunch. Neither of them are particularly pleased with having to stop their fight, even if it was pretty clear they were going nowhere, but at least their frustration seems to give way to surprise when they take their first bites.

That's right! Bow before this fatty and my culinary masterpieces!

(Like I said, it's the only thing I allow myself to take pride in.)

"After watching the two of you fight, I have come to a conclusion," Zhou Cheng declares, somehow managing to loom over both of them despite being of… pretty similar height. He's maybe a few inches taller. "Both of you… are terrible at this."

Both of them puff up immediately, rebuttals forming and indignant How dare you's, but Zhou Cheng is having none of it.

"You call yourselves 'Rising Tides', but I saw nothing 'rising' about either of you. Even my Junior could defeat you!"

… Wait. Zhou Cheng, what the fuck are you doing, we've talked about this, I swear to Heaven if you drag me into this-

Both of them lock onto me, eyes flashing dangerously as though I'm a new rival they must test themselves against.

"So I will teach you," he finishes, nodding seriously, ignoring the way both of them are sizing me up like a slab of meat.

Zhou Cheng, why couldn't you have led with that?! … Please don't tell me you expect me to participate as well!

"Whoever improves the most will be able to claim the title of 'Rising Tide'. Does that satisfy?"

The two of them are silent for a brief moment, and then nod in almost comical synchronicity. "Un!"

Of course, then he turns a hopeful, expectant look at me. Oh no. Nooo no no. "Of course, you'll be there to help set an example as the model to strive towards, right, Lian-er?"

Hhhhh-you little shit, making that face at me… "Of course," I reply, trying not to sound as defeated as I feel. "I am ever at your disposal, Cheng-ge."

Well, we have a little while until the next auction so… I guess this is a decent way to pass the time until then. I can handle a week of training under Zhou Cheng.

Right?

6