v2c26 Nobody’s Home
163 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Yesterday was my birthday, but I wasn't allowed any cake ;-; I'm on a liquid diet in preparation for a procedure. Oh well. There'll be cake after.

Tian Mingfei's wounds are distressingly deep and savage. If she weren't a cultivator, she'd already be dead. Hell, if she weren't Tian Mingfei, I'm pretty sure she'd be dead anyway.

I don't really have anything to heal these kind of wounds. What I have is the ability to stop the bleeding, and treat the damage as best I can, but she's not really going to be doing much of anything for a while.

These are all things I let her know as I bandage her wounds, packing as much medicinal poultices as I can. "Honestly, what were you thinking, ah? Charging off into the darkness like that!"

She grimaces a little. I'm trying to be gentle, but there's only so much I can do right now. "It was just meant to be a quick attack," she mutters, "In and out. I underestimated the nature of this place."

"You can't do things like that now - if you lost your leg, we'd have no way of restoring it in our current state." Honestly, sometimes it feels like I'm the only person in our little group with a rational sense of self preservation. It's all 'Defy the Heavens' and 'What could possibly go wrong?'.

This is what could go wrong. You could get dragged off by a terrifying monster and nearly bleed out.

"Can you walk?"

She slowly rises to her feet, leaning more than a little on me, and grimacing even more - but she manages to take a few steps. "I think I can manage."

"I'd get you some crutches if I had any, but you'll just have to make do. Sit down where you can, and for the love of Heaven, if something happens, get Cheng-ge to carry you. Fuck, I'll carry you if I have to. No running!"

Tian Mingfei nods like a scolded child, which I'd be more amused by in any other situation. I'm honestly too busy being upset to really laugh at the image.

"Honestly, Senior, I thought you were the more rational one. This is something I'd expect Cheng-ge to do." Well. More like he'd hear something that sounded like someone calling out for help and then rush off to do something stupid, reckless and heroic.

"It was a miscalculation. It won't happen again, doctor."

Is she being cheeky with me? I swear on the Buddha, I'll amputate your leg Mingfei. "Now just sit here for a bit. We're in no rush to go anywhere." I pat her on the shoulder, and give her a little urge downwards with a stern look before I turn to see how everyone else is faring with the butchery.

Normally that'd be my job, but Zhou Cheng thinks it'd be good to give them some practice - and he's getting his hands dirty as well.

And they all need some practice, it seems. "Oi, oi, oi! Don't be too rough with the meat, yeah? You'll damage them!"

Zhou Cheng nods, a little chagrined, but the other two seem more confused. "Senior," Hou Bohai begins, holding up a chunk of the dead… thing's meat. "It's… dead? How could it possibly be more damaged than it already is?"

"It can still be bruised! The connective tissues, the cells, they're all still present. You need to be careful or you'll ruin the quality."

He doesn't seem entirely convinced, but he at least tries to go a bit more carefully now.

As I approach, the smell of it becomes stronger - it's… distinctly fishy. Unbearably, almost. I'm not sure how Zhou Cheng is standing it, really, but I still reach out to dab my fingers in some of its spilt blood and touch it to the tip of my tongue.

Ech. Not the worst thing I've tasted, but a bit saltier than I thought it would be. I ignore the way both of them are staring at me now as I pull out a kitchen knife and carefully slice a little of the meat off - and then plop it into my mouth.

"... Senior. Are you…?" I'm not sure how he intends to finish that question - or intended, perhaps, because he doesn't actually finish it at all. Mo Jianyang just keeps staring at me like I've grown a second hand.

Now, I'm not a barbarian, so I finish chewing and swallow before responding. "Just taste testing. It's important to know what you're working with when you're cooking." Saltier than a twelve year old who just got camped in Call of Duty… which is a joke nobody here will get. Saltier than the Red Sea? … the Red Sea wouldn't exist here, and if it did, it'd have a different name.

Doesn't really matter. The texture is awful as well, but I think if I grilled it, it wouldn't be too bad. It needs some kind of sauce though - something light and zesty. If I had some lime juice… Well, thoughts for later.

"You intend to cook this thing?" Hou Bohai sounds so incredulous, it's adorable.

Junior, the things I have cooked and eaten would make you tremble in fear.

"Lian-er cooks everything we kill," Zhou Cheng offers helpfully, "And it's always delicious."

Aw, flatterer. I'm still not forgiving you for dragging me down here. "You're welcome to abstain if you'd prefer."

Hou Bohai eyes me strangely, and then the carcass. "Surely… it would be more efficient to refine it?"

Haven't I had this exact conversation before? I feel like I have. I can't remember. "Maybe. But it wouldn't be as tasty." I pause a little, tapping my knife against my chin. "Cheng-ge, didn't you say anything we killed would go to these two?"

His eyes widen a little before he nods. "Un!"

"And that's fine with you isn't it, Sister Tian?"

She gives me a weak wave. "I have no complaints." It looks like she has several, actually, but they're probably more to do with the pain she's in than anything to do with the carcass. Good. Be in pain. Learn a damn lesson from it!

I turn back to our Juniors, and give them a smile. "Considering it's 'your' kill then… would you like me to cook it or refine it?" I hold up a finger to stall their answer. "Remember that it's for both of you - so choose together."

I'm proud to say they only silently communicate for a few seconds before Mo Jianyang turns back to me. "I-we suppose… cooking will be alright. There'l be other things to refine and… this isn't really that good for us."

I give him a warm smile. "I'm glad to hear that."

Everyone gets back to butchering, and we have it all packed away in relatively short order. After basking in the success of a job well done - however messy - Zhou Cheng takes this moment to speak up.

"Mo Jianyang, Hou Bohai - decide. Do we head back through the Sea of Lights or press on?"

"I've never been past the Sea," Mo Jianyang admits, glancing around, "I… don't know if this tunnel has been mapped."

"There's no signs of passage from us. We leave hidden marks - I can't see any here."

I bite back a groan. There's no way we're going back if this is some 'unexplored tunnel', and we'll inevitably run into some bigger monster and how is this my life?! I wanted to take it slow! Relax! Do some mindless labour in return for food and cultivation! Which sounds a lot like my previous life, if I'm honest, but you know, it wasn't bad.

Alas, I'm now stuck with Cheng-ge and his bullshit.

"Well, we'd better get moving then," I mutter, "Before something else attacks us. Better attack it first."

Zhou Cheng beams at me, and I'm pretty sure he knows how annoyed and irritated I am right now. "That's the spirit, Cheng-ge!"

Cheeky little brat.


The first sign we aren't the first people to brave this particular tunnel is the lights. Light Crystals dot the walls, which isn't entirely surprising in itself I'm sure, but after the first few, I began to suspect - and then confirm - something.

They were in a set pattern. Not a natural 'this is how crystals grow' pattern, but a designed pattern. Not enough light to really provide visual clarity for us, but for someone of a higher cultivation…

The second sign, at least for me personally, was how… uniform the tunnel was. The height didn't really change much, the width remained the same - it wasn't perfectly even, but it was close enough that I definitely got the impression something bored it out.

The third sign made itself known as I was deciding whether to voice these suspicions, and it rather made both of them kind of moot because there's few ways to conclusively determine whether someone has been here before or not than a door.

Is this a mysterious unexplored section of the Crystal Cove, unknown to man? No, it's some guy's holiday home.

Or… maybe it's something more serious. The doors are delicately carved with repeating patterns, but more importantly, there's a pair of statues flanking it. Shishi - Stone Lions, or Lion Dogs. Often found outside of temples, tombs or just important places in general.

Or places that people like to think of as important. We have them outside the manor, after all, and sure maybe Hei Manor is important but it's not sacred.

"Is there anything like this in your records?" Zhou Cheng asks, eyes focused on the door.

Both of them shake their heads. "We've never found any sign of someone that we didn't leave," Hou Bohai adds. "To think that there might be some structure or history in this place…"

"Let's not get hasty." As always, it falls to me to be the party pooper - and the only person with a lick of caution. "If someone did build this into the Cove, they could still be here. Do we really want to disturb them?"

But Zhou Cheng shakes his head. "Nobody else is present - I don't think anyone's been down here in years. I can feel the breeze coming from past this door and it doesn't have the scent of people on it."

Hrm. Well… at least he's not blindly suggesting we go into potential danger. "What does it smell like then?"

He wrinkles his nose a little - it's one of his cuter expressions, in my opinion - but doesn't answer for a good few moments. "... Crystals, I think? And… herbs? It's… I'm not sure what I'm smelling."

Goody. It'll be a surprise then. I give everyone one last look, to see if anyone shares my doubts and concerns but I am alone in this matter - even Tian Mingfei, injured as she is, seems eager from her position leaning on a wall.

Mo Jianyang steps forward to push the doors open, excitement clear on his face - but the moment he gets close, he practically leaps back as the Stone Lions growl at him.

I'm not ashamed to admit I screamed as well. Anyone would! Those fuckers were perfectly still and normal looking statues! I know they're meant to be guardians and what not, but that's symbolic!

They're not actually meant to guard!

… or maybe they are. Cultivators exist after all - why wouldn't they animate a pair of Stone Lions?

"Well, everyone," I begin, a little hurried and panicked from the scare, "I think that answers that?"

Nobody answers, nor do they really move, which is… not the response I was hoping for, I'll be honest. The Lions themselves don't make a move either, but they do shift and prowl a little right in front of us, clearly warding us off.

Tentatively, for some stupid reason, Hou Bohai inches forward. One of the Lion's responds with a low growl, and he immediately backs away.

"I think it's clear we're not wanted - so maybe we should go?" I offer, glancing at everyone again. Come on, it's obvious isn't it?

But Zhou Cheng, my beloved adorable stupid Zhou Cheng, does not retreat. He seems… fascinated with the Lions. Spellbound even.

I really should stop him from doing what he's about to do, but a part of me just wants to see if he'll learn a lesson from this.

Slowly, he reaches out. The Lions respond with a low growl but unlike our Juniors, he's not dissuaded. He steps forward. The Lions growl louder. He steps forward again.

I start preparing to tackle him but…

One of the Lion's lowers its head as he gets closer, and allows him to pet it. Because of course it does. Why wouldn't it? I'm going to have to mentally recalibrate my tolerances for bullshit again.

"Cheng-ge," I begin quietly, using my most conciliatory tone, "Whilst I am glad and impressed that they seem to have accepted you, did you at least consider what would happen if they didn't? If both you and Sister Tian are down, who is going to protect us, ah?"

He blinks, snapping out of his spellbound state. "I… sorry, Lian-er." At least he apologises. Frankly, I'm glad he can manage that much and call it a win. "It's just… it felt like something I had to do."

As he speaks, the Lions brush up against him, winding around him like… well, like cats. They don't purr though, which is a shame. I think I remember reading something about big cats… they can roar or they can purr, but they can't do both? Something about the way the throats are built?

But really, you'd think Zhou Cheng had come home after a business trip and his very large and loving house cats were greeting him the way they were gently squishing him between them.

… Fuck it. I step forward cautiously myself, and both Lions seem to snap towards me with wary looks.

Zhou Cheng pats them on the head, and it seems to… disarm them. They lose interest in me entirely, and when I take one more step, they just keep focusing on Zhou Cheng.

Stone Lions like this were supposed to ward away evil spirits or malevolent actors - is it… do they accept that Zhou Cheng is a good guy by their criteria and thus allowed in, or is it… something else?

Is… Zhou Cheng never really talked about his family, but from what he did say, it sounded a lot like he didn't have one. Is this… is this some place belonging to an ancestor or something?

Cheng-ge, that's fucking bullshit if it is. I swear to fuck. Please stop raising protagonist flags. You'll give your poor Junior a heart attack out of stress. I'm not cut out to be the fatty sidekick.

"We should still be careful - just because the… guardians have accepted you doesn't mean there can't be other safeguards that aren't as lenient."

At least he gives me a serious nod, and then with a little pat to each of their sides, he directs the Stone Lions back to their places.

And they obey, because that's a thing that's happening now. It's actually kind of eerie watching them go still - if I hadn't seen them moving around earlier, I would never have guessed they could.

"It's best not to touch anything," Zhou Cheng declares softly, "We don't know what protections there might be. Let's just… look at first. Okay?"

The Juniors nod.

He steps up to the door and, with a brief moment to collect himself, begins to push it open.

7