v2c31 Familiar Faces
112 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Thanks again for reading! If you like what I do, please consider supporting my patreon for early access to future chapters and a warm fuzzy feeling in your heart.

(You may want to get the latter looked at by a doctor.)

The moment Cheng-ge stepped out in his new robes, I knew I'd chosen well. He didn't just look like a handsome young Cultivator - I may be biased in saying so, but he always did - but now he really looked like a Young Master. Our robes before were hardly cheap, but they were subtle in terms of their quality. Nothing ostentatious, just very well made.

Now… well, now we still weren't ostentatious because I always thought that was a bit of an eyesore thing and in poor taste. That said, he projected wealth and power now. Looking at him, I wouldn't have guessed he was a rogue Cultivator, free and independent - looking at him, I would think twice before crossing him. And hopefully, so would everyone else.

Still, there were a few more touches to be made…

"Lian-er," he whines, the illusion of the powerful stately young man shattered in favour of the Cheng-ge I knew and loved, pouting a little as I adjusted his robes a bit. A tug here, tighten that…

"There," I announced, nodding to myself. Now he looked perfect. "Appearances are important, Cheng-ge. We're going to be competing against the local Sects and powerhouses." Technically, we were going to be present as representatives of the Whispering Sea - an incredibly bold move by Mo Jianyang, all things considered. It was a lot of trust to put into some random Cultivators, even if we had helped him some. We could feasibly buy a whole bunch of resources and then run away, and it wasn't like they had any way to stop us.

I mean, sure, they would be present as well, but we've already established that Zhou Cheng outclasses most of their Sect. If we choose to run, they're unlikely to catch us.

He huffs a little as I stand back, but he's lucky I don't start fixing his hair as well. It's just a little out of place, but honestly, it can slide. Seeing that I'm done, he heads for the stairs, and I follow behind him, interlacing my fingers in front of me and letting my sleeves cover my hands.

It makes me feel a little like a scheming advisor but to really nail that Machiavellian feel, I need a long moustache I can stroke sinisterly. Alas, I've never been good at growing facial hair and that appears to be true across all my lives.

"Finally!" Tian Mingfei declares the moment she sees us, "I was beginning to think we would have to go without you!" She's wearing the finest clothes I've ever seen her in as well, but although Zhou Cheng and I were angling for the refined young gentlemen appearance befitting noble Cultivators, Tian Mingfei looked like she was going for… whatever passed for tomboys in Ancient China. I certainly don't remember seeing all that many women - or men, for that matter - who wore sleeves that short, but I suppose when you have arms like a lumberjack's, you may as well show them off.

Mo Jianyang was matching us in style, if not in energy. Solemnly serious and gravely determined. I couldn't blame him. His father's life was on the line. Anyone would be serious in that situation.

Zhou Cheng inclines his head in Mo Jianyang's direction. "Lead on."

We're going to be representing his Sect, but he was still the acting head whilst his father was out of commission - it wouldn't do for us to be seen as in charge and calling the shots. At least, too obviously. I'm sure most people will probably assume someone is pulling Mo Jianyang's strings, and Zhou Cheng is powerful enough to be an easy figure to point at, but outright saying it would be bad.

This way, the Whispering Sea Lodge can save face, and everyone comes to their own conclusions regarding what happened even if the truth is that we aren't pulling any strings.

Man, politics is way too complicated…


Riding in a horse-drawn wagon just felt strange, all things considered. It would've been faster and easier to just… go there on foot, but for the sake of appearances, we ride in 'luxury' instead. In this particular case, luxury meant hand-carved seats from the finest woods, and gilded frames and a surprisingly bumpy ride.

I, for one, cannot wait to just fly everywhere. Not on a sword though - that always seemed really precarious to me. At least on a broom you can sit but sitting on a sword seems like a great way to cut yourself.

One of the Lodge's disciples opened the wagon doors and allowed us to disembark, and we filed out, heads held high. I still felt a little weird trying to act like this. I'd spent the better part of my life acting like a servant, now I had to act like a lordling…

I let my gaze run over our surroundings though, taking in the sights as we made our way to the auction hall proper. A number of other wagons and carriages had already arrived, each bedecked in the livery of various Sects. The Calm Tide was present, naturally, alongside a number of others - I didn't recognise any of the others, personally.

The amount did surprise me though - there had to be half a dozen Sects present. I wasn't aware there were that many in the local area… although maybe the others had come from further afield? Either way, it promised to make things more troublesome.

Hopefully nobody else was after anything deeply medicinal… but then again, half the things that could be used to create medicine could also be used to bolster your own power. And sometimes it did both.

Mo Jianyang presents a token to one of the official's at the entrance, and the rotund woman bows politely, and guides us to our assigned seating. The hall was decently sized, all things considered, and it seemed like they had gone to some pains to make sure there was plenty of space between groups. We were seated around a small table, and an attendant brought us a jug of wine to drink despite the fact we were all pretty clearly underage.

Not that it stops Tian Mingfei from pouring herself some. Zhou Cheng looks faintly interested in trying some, but I give him a stern look. We may be cultivators, but no underage drinking! At least, not right now. If he really wants to try some, I'm sure we can have some back home in a controlled environment where I'm there to make sure he doesn't overdo it.

And where being drunk is unlikely to get us thrown out.

A few others have already taken their respective places - a wizened old woman in pale green and yellow robes who seems to be absorbed in her thoughts. A tall, broad-shouldered man with long, untied hair that just falls in a curtain across his shoulders, wearing some kind of metal breastplate (an interesting choice to be sure). A beautiful, delicate flower of a lady, whose face is hidden by a silken veil, dressed in a riot of colours that nonetheless seem to work for her. And… wait. I know that face, that's-

"Oh, isn't that Senior Bang?" Tian Mingfei's words draws Zhou Cheng's eye as well, and confirms my suspicions.

But why is he here…?

Before I can think too long on it, Tian Mingfei is already waving. I nearly facepalm, but the situation is far from unsalvageable.

He seems as surprised to see us as we are to see him, and after a quick word to the other Disciples around him, he begins moving over towards us.

"Hei Lian," he greets softly, and maybe I'm a little chuffed he chose to greet me first. "Zhou Cheng, Tian Mingfei. It's a pleasure to see the three of you are doing well." His gaze flickers over to Mo Jianyang, the person who he arguably should've greeted first. "Please, forgive my ignorance. You are…?"

Mo Jianyang is taking the mild insult fairly well, all things considered. "I am Mo Jianyang, of the Whispering Sea Lodge."

Senior Bang bows, albeit not particularly deeply. "I am Bang Yanhuo, of the Heavenly Misty Peak Sect." His gaze flickers over us. "Your… companions could once claim the same." There's no accusation in his voice or tone, but there's no denying the question.

That we aren't wearing the robes of the Whispering Sea Lodge make it clear we didn't join them - and quite frankly, I'm glad Senior Bang didn't make the implication. I'd be offended at the idea that I left just so I could be a big fish in a small pond. Or a bigger fish, at least.

"Seniors Hei, Zhou and Tian have been very generous to this one," he replies politely, "Offering guidance and assistance freely."

Senior Bang's expression softens just the tiniest bit. "That gladdens me to hear. They have always been generous souls."

Not that I'm unhappy to bask in Senior Bang's praise, but there's still a nagging question to be answered. "Senior, may I ask what business you are on that brought you so far?" I'm not saying my home city is poor or weak or anything, but in terms of cultivation, we are basically the boonies. Senior Bang is easily the most powerful person in this room, and he's just a Senior Disciple.

He makes a pained grimace. "The war is over, if you have not heard already. The Sect suffered heavy losses. In order to replenish our stocks, I have been ordered to obtain anything I can from this auction."

Son of a bitch, he's after medicine as well, isn't he? The only reason to send the Senior Disciple of the Medicine Pavilion is to appraise and obtain medicine. I can't imagine them letting him go otherwise.

Of course, no sooner do I come to that realisation does another strike me. If the Heavenly Misty Peak Sect is in such a state that it needs to go out and buy more medicine in auctions like this… who else is here to do the same?

But that doesn't mean he has to be an enemy here. I still have sway with him, surely, and if anyone would be willing to tell me how to help Senior Mo, it would be Senior Bang, right? "We're here on similar business, Senior. I've taken a patient at the Whispering Sea Lodge - their body has… become overly sensitive to Qi. Their own cultivation is killing them."

His brows raise up towards his hairline. "Is that so, Junior? A rare condition indeed. Crimson Lotus Withering - last I have heard of it the only known practitioner of that technique was Yin Xuanfeng, the head of the Dancing Shadows School."

Okay, not that this isn't fascinating, but it's not really relevant on how to fix it, so could you, you know, tell me that, Senior?

"The only way to cure it is for the body to be reborn." We already know that! "There are a few ways to do that, but none of them are particularly easy. The Samsara Lotus of Eternal Rebirth can grow a new body, and the soul is automatically transferred upon death but they take several years to mature." What's taking several years is your explanation, Senior! "I'd say your best bet would be a Phoenix Resurgence Pill."

"And what would we need to make one?" If the ingredients are present here, then there's hope for Senior Mo!

Senior Bang scratches the faint stubble on his chin. "As it so happens, the main ingredient is one we brought with us - a phoenix feather. I'm sure you already know that one roosts on the peak of our mountain." I've… heard that, but you know, nice to have it confirmed I guess? He lets out a small sigh though. "Unfortunately, Junior, we brought it to be auctioned - it's already in the hands of the Auction Hall, so I can't simply barter it to you directly."

"That's of no concern. We already intended to buy any cure we could through this auction." Just knowing it exists is enough right now.

He inclines his head in acknowledgement. "The remaining ingredients and the instructions on how to create it, I'm happy to sell to you. They're nothing particularly exorbitant."

I bow deeply in gratitude, and I can see the others doing the same out of the corner of my eye. "Your generosity knows no bounds, Senior."

"The Whispering Sea Lodge will not forget your kindness!"

"Juniors, please. Obtain the feather first and then thank me."

7