Scene 3 – Intentions, masked
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The man that walked in radiated authority and the healer was immediately stopped in their tracks. As the elders calmly walked in, tucking their hands in their sleeves and greeting with a bow, soldiers marched in quickly behind the general, their eyes darting from left to right, obviously trying to keep up with their leader who went ahead without letting them survey the room first.

The leader himself was a rather small man, but imposing beyond his physical appearance. His tunic was a deep blue, his cuirass silver with brass ornaments. An ornate scabbard with a simple sword hung on his back, an odd way to carry to be just for show. In fact, while on first glance you might think he was just a parading officer, on second you might see that his armour had seen battle and his gear was well used and cared for. He looked more like a soldier than the accompanying guards and also more than capable to handle himself, especially against an order of healers.

The look on his shaven face was stern and annoyed, probably due to the polite wait every guest had to endure when seeking an audience with the elders. Under the short red hair and freckles the healer noticed some faint white scars running from temple to chin. While he spoke his blue eyes were fixed on the high priest who had yet to introduce himself. His self control was something to be admired.

In calm words he greeted the high priest with the proper phrases befitting their relative station, made bows low enough to neither offend nor submit, offered a short prayer he monotonously recited. The general probably was a nonbeliever, the healer thought, and started to like the man for his preparation and knowledge of customs. "General Volk of the Western Alliance, your Highness. I hear you have a few soldiers under your care?" This was not a question, but a very polite way to tell the high priest to get to the point and not dance around with formalities and vague implications.

"We indeed have, general'' the high priest replied from behind his mask of office. The crimson wooden mask marking him as the Creator's Emissary could hide the surprise in his face, but to those who had been lectured by him over and over, it was plain in his voice. The general smiled and the healer liked him even more for seeing right through him.

The general continued in a polite tone. "Then we expect you to hand them over into our custody. Our healers are more than capable to handle the rest of the treatment after your expert initial administrations". His smile grew cold and the healer felt a chill run down their spine. "We would have to make preparations for those in our care to be released. Some aren't in any condition to travel and would need to … " the high priest stated calmly, but was interrupted by general Volk. "We have prepared transportation and brought our healers with us, including an ample supply of healing potions and magics. Your help in ascertaining which would benefit the patients the most is highly appreciated, but I must insist that you hand them over at once."

Instinct overtook the healer, fear for their patient making them stand tall, addressing the senior members and the general. They grabbed the prayer beads tightly and stepped towards the group, straightening their spine and inhaling deeply. "My patient is in no condition to be moved from the very table they are lying on. And even after tending to the most critical wounds, any lengthy transport is out of the question for the foreseeable future." The healer was surprised by their own firm words.

The high priest was angry at this insubordination hissing the familiar "Know your place, acolyte. " from behind his mask. The general on the other hand seemed bemused. "Is that so? Then my men will come back in a moon's time and we will assess the situation again. I am most eager to see you treat your patient back to good health." This time the general's smile was somewhat warm, but also something else. His politeness was a far better mask than any physical one the order wears. He waved his guards away and they immediately fell into marching order out of the room. Then he turned to the high priest. "Let someone show me to my quarters your Highness, according to your acolyte you might have to entertain me for some time"

0