Scene 6 – Two soldiers – Part 2
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The healer followed Erin back in as the rain started to pour in earnest outside. She shut the door behind them, bowed and shuffled away. A smile crossed the healer's face at the enthusiasm of this girl. Getting back to the task at hand they turned towards their patient, seeing that the general had stood up, arms crossed before his chest, looking grim again. As he saw the healer approach he uncrossed his arms, nodding in thanks for them giving him the privacy he didn't dare to ask for directly.

"Tell me about your patient's status and what you and your brothers and sisters have tried so far. I may not be a healer myself, but I know a few things about your patient here that might affect your future treatment plans, " he paused "and your safety." The healer nodded, getting a long-necked phial from a bandolier under their robes. "They seem to be stable, but how far any healing has progressed I can only guess. I only treated them with one of my concoctions to enhance the body's healing capabilities. Since I don't know what enchantments are woven into the armour I refrained from using magics." They handed the phial over to the general and continued with a deep sigh. "As for my brothers and sisters, they wouldn't dare to be associated with any task that has been given to me."

The general visibly relaxed. "Thank the Gods for that. Any magic that the enchantments do not recognize might have had severe consequences." He held the phial against the candlelight as if to examine the clear liquid inside. "And this does not contain magic you say?" the general asked with a hint of disbelief. "The body knows what and how to heal itself. It sometimes only needs to be reminded and given the time and means to do so." the healer replied. They were used to people doubting their methods, but they didn't see the general as someone who forced their opinion on anyone, especially since he admitted to deferring to specialists several times since they met. That is why they immediately regretted their annoyed undertone in their reply.

The general let out a small laugh. "I know a thing or two about superiors not approving of ones methods. Rest assured, I will not interfere with your process, as long as it shows promise" he glanced over to the knight. "Even more so when it seems to be working. A beating like this should have killed anyone outright." There was another hint of disbelief and maybe disappointment in the general's reply. But as to why the healer couldn't discern. Maybe they weren't as good at judging people or the general was just so used to masking his emotions that they became unreadable. Still fixated on the knight he asked, "How do you want to proceed?"

"Like I said, as of now I can only guess as to the extent of the damage to the body or the current effect of the potion. Although removing the armour would be crucial to determine that it also bears the risk of opening new wounds that are only held close by metal and cloth lodged into them. But that is not the immediate problem." The healer pointed at the phial in the general's hand. "This is all I have left and it is barely enough for another night of sedation. My access to the herbs required is currently, " they had to think about how to phrase this properly and paused. The general waited patiently and looked over to them. He may respect and adhere to their methods, but what if they put their patient at risk, how would he react then?

Acolytes started to make their rounds, adding more candles, as the sun slowly set and the light that fell through the narrow windows faded. Taking a deep breath the healer spoke again. "My access to the herbalism wing has been revoked for the time being and my personal supply has run out." They hold their breath, awaiting the general's reaction, expecting him to demand further explanation. "I will talk to the high priest and find a way to restore access for you. As this may take some time and convincing, what can be done in the meantime?" It came as a surprise that he didn't inquire further. "Those herbs cannot be found in this area, so gathering them is out of the question."

The general's eyes narrowed. "It seems to me as if you only say what can't be done and evade the obvious solutions. I do not believe you have burned all the bridges within the order, so why not ask for help?" The healer froze. They doubted that anyone outside the order knew about the prophecy, but they had hoped to avoid this conversation or at least postpone it further. They grew uneasy and lowered their head, unable to look into the general's eyes even through their mask. "This is not as easy as you might think, " they began, almost whispering in an effort to keep up the act just a little longer. "There are certain scrolls you should read before we continue this conversation. Erin should be able to provide them to you." Trying to regain their composure through purpose they straightened their back and met the general's questioning gaze. "Now, if you excuse me, I have to attend to my patient for as long as I am able to do so."

0