Chapter 9- Insignificance
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ittya's assumption that an ancient beast dwelled within the colossal crystal tree turned out to be correct. However, she lacked a fundamental understanding of Luminance and its nature, as well as the fact that her own luminance, which radiated like the sun, was an anomaly to anything sensitive to Luminance. Ancient beasts, in particular, possessed heightened perception when it came to Luminance.

Although Ittya's battle was taking place far away from the Giant tree, her luminance still managed to attract the attention of the ancient beast residing within it. This ancient beast happened to be a White Dragon that had been slumbering upon the tree for an eternity. The dragon perceived Ittya's luminance as a nuisance, disrupting its peaceful sleep. However, by the dragon's standards, it was benevolent and chose to ignore the disturbance, turning around to resume its slumber.

Yet, to the dragon's dismay, an irritating surge of a new and murky luminance disrupted its serenity once again. It shattered the dragon's reverie, forcing its yellow-amber eyes open. Peering down through the canopy of the colossal tree, the dragon surveyed the sea of white trees, focusing on a particular spot where the luminance persisted, irritating its senses.

Driven by a primal impulse, the dragon extended its powerful claws, rending the branches and causing a cacophony of rustling and cracking that awakened every living creature in the forest. Unconcerned by the disturbance it caused, the dragon carved a path through the tree, creating a clearing that granted a direct line of sight to the forest below. With purposeful intent, the dragon opened its maw, igniting a fierce fire within its throat.

In the blink of an eye, the entire white forest was engulfed in shades of fiery orange and red as the dragon released a resounding roar. This roar carried the flames of devastation, penetrating the earth and scorching the newly formed clearing. Trees and ground alike succumbed to the searing heat as the dragon's fiery breath consumed everything in its path. After sating its fiery wrath, the dragon nonchalantly closed its maw, emitting a yawn, before turning once again to embrace its slumber.

In the aftermath, a colossal crater scarred the ground, spewing forth molten magma that spread like a relentless tide, enveloping the once pristine white forest. The land became a desolate wasteland, bathed in a perpetual conflagration of red and white, an enduring testament to the dragon's fiery proclamation.

  • Book of Irit, Chapter 6.12
  • Sovereignty of Dragon Queen, Chapter 1- ‘Death’, Entry no. 160- By The Elder Dragon, Asutra. End of Chapter 1.

Ittya awoke, her eyes greeted by the crimson sun as it descended into the vast sea, painting the sky in hues of amber and adorned with clouds. The ensuing moment, pain crashed upon her consciousness, causing her to emit a high-pitched cry. Her body burned with intensity, engulfed in searing agony. In an instant, the world around her transformed into a sea of red, filled with cries emanating from all directions. Then, just as swiftly, it transformed into a desolate wasteland.

Breathing heavily, Ittya's eyes turned completely white, tears of red streaming down her cheeks. Time passed, stretching into eternity, until finally, she regained control and her eyes returned to their normal state. She pushed herself off the ground, her body still wracked with pain, experiencing occasional spasms that felt like scorching hot metal rod burning into her spine.

Whimpering, Ittya collapsed onto the floor again, the pain subsided after an extended period. The sun had set, leaving the moon veiled behind dark clouds, barely discernible in the night sky. Weary, she sat once more, leaning against the broken walls of the crenellation. Sleep evaded her, as did the relief from her torment.

She pondered the whereabouts of the mysterious lady, her thoughts veering toward the negative. Perhaps the lady was a spy sent by her brother, reveling in her suffering, or maybe she was merely a figment of Ittya's imagination, conjured to preserve her sanity. Each passing moment stretched into eternity, as time seemed to stand still.

As the night raged on, the rain poured relentlessly, drenching Ittya in its cold, chilling embrace. The droplets fell upon her burning skin, offering little respite. Instinctively, she sought shelter beneath her long, feathery wings, but they provided little warmth, allowing the rain to seep through them effortlessly.

In the depths of this desolate night, devoid of all else, a thought emerged within Ittya's mind. If she were to die here, in this place, would she finally be free from the torment that plagued her, this unyielding hell with no escape? It was a notion worth exploring, for she had already reached the depths of despair. With her feeble and powerless hands, she slowly extended them towards her neck, her wings fluttering closer as if offering a final embrace.

However, instead of comfort, they brought a bone-chilling coldness, their once-drenched feathers now weighed down by the rain, making her feel suffocated under their heavy burden. The high winds howled around her, further adding to her sense of isolation and despair.

Ittya's hands, weighed down by her wet garments, reached her neck, trembling as they found her sunken and skinny neck. She crossed her hands, pressing her thumbs against her windpipe, her grip feeble and shaking.

 

Surprisingly, she felt no panic, no rush of adrenaline as she had expected. Instead, she felt an overwhelming fatigue, a weariness that permeated her entire being. Would it truly be this easy? After months of enduring unimaginable suffering, could it all come to an end in an instant? Why had she not considered this before? She questioned as the rain continued to fall relentlessly, washing away her tears and mingling with the darkness of the night.

 

Ittya had the answer, it was because finally came face to face with the harsh truth of her own powerlessness, realizing how far removed she was from understanding the nature of Luminance and true magic. All this time, she had clung to the belief that her Luminance and her weapon made her strong, but it was all a false sense of security, a desperate coping mechanism. Her conversation with Gisella had stripped away the veil of illusion, all that was left was an insecure and feeble puppet.

In contrast to Ittya's crude and unrefined attempts at magic, Gisella's abilities seemed like a melodic symphony, a harmonious dance of enchantment in a vibrant garden of flowers. There was a grace and elegance to Gisella's magic, a refinement that Ittya had never known.

Sitting on the ground, Ittya watched as the majestic dragon, its eyes resembling her own yet radiating immense power, looked down upon her without even noticing her. She felt insignificant, like a mere insect not worthy of a passing glance.

In an instant, the dragon unleashed its destructive might upon the land she stood on, obliterating everything in its path. Ittya was utterly powerless, akin to an ant crushed underfoot, and the realization burned within her, searing both her body and mind.

The overwhelming sense of helplessness engulfed her, leaving her to contemplate the vastness of her own insignificance in the face of true power.

Ittya pressed her thumbs against her windpipe with all her might, hoping to find release from her torment. A cough rose in her throat, she kept on pressing with all the strength she could muster. Yet, her hands hardly could muster the strength, even droplets of rain felt more heavy and painful to her being.

 

After all her strength drained, her body trembled as her hands fell limply to her side. Exhausted and defeated, she collapsed onto her side, shivering and whimpering. She was powerless, powerless to even kill herself. A hopelessness she never felt before settle in her soul.

As Ittya lay there, consumed by her despair, the door at the top of the stairs remained closed, blocking any escape. The rainwater accumulated on the roof, unable to find its way out, forming a growing pool on the floor. The water rose steadily, inch by inch, until it reached a height that fully submerged Ittya's prone form.

She made no effort to resist. Unable to breathe, she surrendered herself to the water, knowing deep down that death would not come to claim her. She wished it would

Time passed, and eventually, the rain ceased its relentless downpour. The world grew still, the silence broken only by the gentle lapping of water that had claimed Ittya's lifeless body.

Another hour passed in the stillness of the altar, as Ittya's lifeless body floated in the waist-high water. She remained unconscious, her mind detached from her physical form. Time seemed to stretch, marked only by the shifting sky and the faint glimmer of the moon on the horizon, waiting for the arrival of the sun.

Suddenly, a high-pitched screech shattered the eerie silence, as if rusty metal was being forcefully pushed and strained. The sound echoed through the chamber of the Sea God's altar, piercing the air. In response, the water in the altar began to drain away rapidly, pulling Ittya's body along with it. She lay motionless, unaffected by the forceful descent onto the hard granite floor. She remained unaware, lost in her unconscious state.

Gisella, the mysterious figure, entered the altar. In her hand, she held something wrapped in a black cloth. Kneeling beside Ittya, Gisella gently set the clothed item aside. She whispered softly, her voice carrying a low hum that seemed to reverberate through the air. As she spoke, her hand transformed, turning pure white like solid snow, and a translucent green flame enveloped it, flickering with ethereal light.

Gisella maintained a gentle touch on Ittya's forehead, while she leaned closer to whisper in Ittya's ear, the hum of her words resonating in the air. Ittya stirred, letting out a groan as her consciousness slowly returned. She blinked, her eyes meeting Gisella's gaze, her voice heavy with exhaustion.

"Why are you here?" Ittya questioned, her voice tinged with confusion and weariness.

Gisella frowned slightly, observing Ittya's state. "Hmm... Has something happened? You appear more lifeless and delirious than when we last spoke."

Ittya's response was distant, her words lacking any enthusiasm. "Nothing has happened. Just leave me alone. I wish to rest."

Gisella, however, remained determined. She spoke with a firm and authoritative tone, pressing for answers. "It doesn't seem like 'nothing.' Forgive my audacity, but it would be better if you shared what happened. Please, talk to me."

A mixture of frustration and pain welled up within Ittya. Her breaths came raggedly, and her face flushed with emotion. "I'm not obligated to answer you! Just leave me alone!" she exclaimed, her voice trembling with a mixture of anger and despair.

Gisella continued to gently massage Ittya's forehead, understanding the depth of her distress. She chose not to press further, sensing that Ittya needed time and space to gather her thoughts. The rhythmic motion of Gisella's touch provided a sense of solace, allowing Ittya to find some measure of peace in the midst of her inner turmoil.

0