Chapter 16- Palace of Eternity
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ittya felt the coldness in her hand as she imagined herself in a vast space, trying to discern its nature. "Imagine a garden, vast as far as the eye can see. There is a clearing amidst the grass on both sides. As you walk along the path, you have no destination in sight. The sun shines directly above you," Gisella explained.

Ittya continued to construct a mental image based on Gisella's words. "At the edge of the garden, there stands a fountain. Thousands of hands intertwine in a chaotic yet cohesive manner, forming a circle that rises above. You gaze up at the top and there you see a face—a doll's face—perfectly sculpted. As if sensing your presence, its eyes open and lock with yours. You..."

"I see a golden light. Its eyes reflect a world made of gold. I feel embraced," Ittya responded.

"You find yourself unable to move, completely blinded by the radiant golden light," Gisella told.

Gisella's whispers ceased, but Ittya still felt the burning light piercing her eyes. She became disoriented, attempting to rub her eyes, only to realize she had no hands. "Slowly, your vision returns. You find yourself at a crossroads, a path of gray limestone. The night sky stretches above, shrouded in darkness. No stars, no moon. Utterly empty. Looking down, you see the crossroad splitting into countless diverging paths," Gisella described.

"They call out to us, their pull and repulsion causing our bodies to tremble. It's nauseating. We are lost. Help us. Help us," Ittya spoke, her voice devoid of its usual human touch, as if spoken by two voices, one after the other. Gisella smiled.

"Allay your concerns. No path has the power to touch you. Now, tell me, who are you?" Gisella inquired.

"I am Sol, child of the sun," Ittya replied.

"No, that's not who you are. Is it so easy for you to lose yourself? Remind me, who are you?" Gisella challenged.

The voice fell silent, expressing disorientation and an inability to know. Why? It had always been certain that it was Sol. So why did his Guide deny it? Anxiety and helplessness consumed the voice. If it wasn't Sol, then who was it? It struggled to think, desperate to find an answer, feeling lost and uncertain.

“I require an answer. Who are you?” Gisella inquired again, after giving Ittya time to gather herself, she asked once again, "Who are you?"

"I require an answer. Who are you?" Gisella inquired once more, after giving Ittya sufficient time to regain control.

"I am Sol, child of the sun," the voice responded, now more confident and certain than before.

"Perhaps I underestimated the depth of your suffering, dear Ittya. Are you willing to abandon this world at the first obstacle that questions your existence?" Gisella remarked.

"I am Sol, and you are my guide. Lead us to the Radiant Oasis," Sol asserted, their voice sounding closer to that of a human.

"A losing battle it is," Gisella stated.

Sol felt an electrifying sensation course through their entire being. They convulsed and emitted an anguished cry. "Watch your tone, little Luminance. Another act of disrespect, and I will forget to show you kindness."

Sol remained silent, keeping their head low. They needed to reach the Radiant Oasis; only then would they address their guide.

"Lead us... to the Radiant Oasis... Please, guide us," Sol pleaded.

Gisella said nothing, contemplating the situation. She had assigned a very low probability to this particular scenario. She had assumed that the princess possessed a strong mental fortitude and would not easily succumb to the Luminance.

"Alas, I was wrong," Gisella uttered, using the alien word, she never was. She had a thought—if the princess was already broken to this extent, was she even worth her time? Another thought followed, one far more intriguing than the previous. If she could transform this shattered soul, this broken little puppet, into the Dragon Queen, wouldn't that be a worthwhile endeavor?

"Ittya... have you forgotten the suffering, the torment you endured? Are you willing to let them go? Don't you yearn for revenge?" Gisella questioned.

Sol felt their entire being quiver, as if something deep within them was stirring. It struggled to comprehend what was happening.

"Remember those faces, looking down upon you, their wicked grins, condemning you for a deed you did not commit. As if they are superior to you. Are they? Tell me, dear Ittya, are they truly superior to you?" Gisella probed.

"NO!" a resolute feminine voice resounded from within Sol. They tried to understand the unfolding situation, feeling their essence grow heavier and heavier, descending upon the path they had been floating on.

"Tell me, who are you?" Gisella pressed.

"I am Ittya, Princess of all that is born a dragon," Ittya declared, her voice echoing. The surroundings spun around her, her stomach twisted, and she collapsed onto the ground, landing face-first.

"Ittya, the first step has been successful. We have entered the Palace of Eternium. How do you feel?" the voice echoed around Ittya, leaving her uncertain of its origin. She sat on the pathway, surveying the empty space.

"I... where am I?" Ittya questioned.

"This is the pathway to the twelve houses. Mages spend months and years practising to visualize these houses and flow their Luminance through them that is how spellcasting work. However, we are taking a different approach. Here, in the Palace of Eternity, you will gaze upon the First House, which every individual born with Solar Luminance must visualize. As you see it, the image will be imprinted in your mind, allowing you to learn spellcasting in one go," the voice explained.

"What... what just happened?" Ittya expressed her confusion.

"Let's focus on the task at hand. Now, calm your mind, forget your worries and emotions... and follow my words," the voice instructed.

Ittya attempted to comply, still grappling with her understanding of the recent events. Nevertheless, she made an effort to pacify herself.

"Listen carefully. Count the chimes of birds. Can you hear them?" the voice inquired.

"No..." Ittya replied.

"You will, once you stop hearing everything else... even your own voice. Focus," the voice encouraged her.

Ittya remained seated for a prolonged period, her breathing gradually returning to normal. She strained to hear the bird's chimes, but they eluded her. Doubt crept into her mind—had she failed? What if she never heard it? No, she reassured herself, she would hear it. She tightly shut her eyes, attempting to regain her focus. How much longer would she have to wait? The passage of time only heightened her restlessness.

Then, amidst the silence, Ittya heard a soft tap, akin to a droplet of water falling into a pond. She honed in on the sound, soft taps allowed her restless mind to quieten.

KAN!

KAN!

Ittya turned her head toward the sound without opening her eyes. She had been instructed to listen for the bird, not to see it.

"Did you hear the bird?" Gisella's voice inquired.

"Yes," Ittya replied.

"Its call serves as your guide. Stand up and walk toward it, carefully considering each step. Be cautious not to stray from the narrow pathway, for if you were to fall, there stands void, nothingness. Never open your eyes, or you would be lost forever. Do not venture too far from the bird or approach it too closely, as it does not favor mortals. Walk before it moves too far away," Gisella's voice advised, gradually fading until it seemed distant.

Ittya struggled to maintain her balance as she stood up, her knees scraping against the rough surface of the pathway. Slowly regaining her composure, she cautiously proceeded toward the voice, tapping her foot with each step to ensure stability. The path twisted and turned, testing her balance and patience. Ittya stumbled several times, narrowly avoiding a fall, but the voice continued to grow more distant.

Determined not to lose her way, Ittya quickened her pace, tapping her foot more rapidly as she pressed forward. After what felt like an eternity of wandering through the darkness, the path ceased its twisting. Ittya couldn't discern whether it had widened or not.

A beckoning light emanated ahead, casting a radiant glow that permeated even through her closed eyelids. Ittya, guided by the light, hastened her steps without fear of stumbling into the abyss.

Suddenly, she collided with an obstacle, causing her to recoil in pain and surprise. Yet, she resisted the urge to open her eyes. She mustn't.

"Open your eyes... You have arrived at the House of Morning, the Radiant Palace," Gisella's voice softly declared.

Ittya did, shining light burned her eyes. She instinctively closed them.

"No, it is painful, but you must endure it... You need to stare long enough for the palace to appear."

Ittya opened her eyes, and the light stabbed into her eyes. She tried to close them again but failed, as if something was forcefully stopping her. Moisture fell from her eyes.

Ittya attempted to look away but failed. She let out a wail as tears streamed from her eyes.

"Ittya, focus. Look past the veil of light. Channel luminance into your eyes. Look. Into. The light."

Ittya channeled luminance into her eyes. She struggled to see the point. Her eyes glowed golden, not from the luminance but from the Radiance of the House of Morning.

Luminance allowed her to bear the radiance a little. She focused, looking directly into the radiance. Past it. Past it, she repeated to herself as she continued to gaze deeper and deeper into the radiance.

Her head began to pound, and her tears dried up. Her eyes glowed completely golden as if there were a source of light. It became unbearable, and she could only look into the web of golden threads. There was nothing beyond them.

She tried to struggle again, but it was a futile endeavor. "You do not have a choice. You have to gaze at the House or be here, with your eyes closed for eternity."

Her head was forcefully shoved to the right, and she saw many creatures—humans and other beings—sitting there. Their eyes were either closed or burned, with only charred outlines remaining.

"Either you do it or become one of them. Focus," a voice urged.

"If you knew this would happen, why must you do this to me?" Ittya pleaded.

"You can bear it and look at the House of Radiance. You lack the confidence to do so, or you are too afraid of pain. Whichever it is, both are trivial things. Focus. Remind yourself of who you are. I want you to do it without having to rely on rage for your enemies. But if that's what it takes, so be it."

Ittya felt an electrifying shock, and the light vanished. Then she found herself on the dais, presented for the so-called hearing. She was meant to present her defence, but her body was incapable of speaking or forming coherent thoughts.

........... They had drugged her with something, rendering her incapable. For two days now, she had been unable to think or do anything, except for brief moments of lucidity where she could perceive something. Faces appeared in the fog, their smiles hovering above her, their smirks suggesting superiority as if they had the last laugh. They were wrong. She was alive, and she vowed to come back and paint the blue and white Royal court red. She made a promise to herself.

The stabbing pain returned, and she found herself back at the Castle of Eternity. But this time, she had focus, a focus on the blood she intended to spill. Ittya clenched her teeth and looked ahead with unwavering certainty. She would find the palace hidden behind the veil. She looked past the threads of radiance, as if swimming through them. The stabbing pain intensified, coursing down her spine to the back of her neck.

Finally, she caught sight of a bright white exit that surpassed the brilliance of the radiance web. She persevered and crossed the barrier, although it resisted her efforts.

When the brightness dimmed, Ittya laid her eyes upon a gigantic palace, with tall towers and a majestic form. Thousands upon thousands of windows adorned it, and white, glittering objects resembling birds flew around. The palace appeared hollow, but radiant threads of white and gold formed its structure.

AHHH!!

Ittya couldn't help but let out a wail as she beheld the sight, overwhelmed by intense pain coursing through her spine and into her head.

"Focus," Gisella urged. "Look at the house, try to observe it as closely as possible. Remember everything you can."

Gritting her teeth, Ittya obeyed. She concentrated on the halls, the towers, and the rooms that were transparent. Her eyes bled, yet they did not close completely, allowing her to see the Palace beyond the veil. Her body hung limply, suspended by an invisible hand gripping her head.

Her gaze wandered to a golden tower standing tall on the side. An electrifying sensation surged through her body, and she let out another agonizing wail. The sensation persisted, running through her mind and etching the tower in perfect detail. Ittya's vision blurred.

As the blur cleared, she found herself back in the room, with Gisella holding her head.

0