7. The Cost of Survival
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucifer was torn apart by the system's instructions. It was asking him to consume the souls of children, an act that went against his very core as a human being.

The thought of hurting innocent children made him sick to his stomach, and he could not bring himself to do it.

But the system's warning about consuming animal souls was equally daunting. The intense primal desires of animals were difficult to filter out, and Lucifer feared that he would be unable to control his own hunger and thirst if he consumed them. He knew that the animal's instincts would take over, and he would be lost in a world of base desires.

As he sat there, lost in thought, his mind began to race. What if he consumed the souls of human beings? It was a dangerous game, but he knew that he could handle their emotions, desires, and ambitions.

But as he considered this option, a sense of dread washed over him. The thought of consuming human souls filled him with a sense of guilt and shame that he could not shake. Was he really willing to go down that path? Was he willing to sacrifice his own humanity for the sake of survival?

Lucifer knew that he had to make a decision, and he knew that he had to make it soon. He could feel the darkness creeping up on him, threatening to swallow him whole. But he also knew that he couldn't rush into anything. He had to be careful, deliberate, and wise.

Finally, after much contemplation, Lucifer made his decision. He would start by consuming the souls of animals, and see if he could handle the madness. If he found that he could not, he would have to make a difficult choice.

....

Lucifer left the village, determined to find a peaceful animal to absorb its soul. His heart felt heavy as he pondered over his decision. The thought of consuming a living being's soul filled him with unease, but he knew that it was necessary for his survival.

After wandering through the forest for hours, he finally stumbled upon a small rabbit nibbling on a leaf. He watched the animal for a while, observing its peaceful demeanor. Satisfied that the rabbit would have minimal aggressive desires, he silently approached it.

With a swift movement, he used his telekinesis skill to capture the rabbit. The animal squealed in terror, struggling to escape. Lucifer could feel his own heart racing with adrenaline as he held onto the rabbit, his hand shaking slightly.

Finally, he steeled himself and ended the rabbit's life by smashing its head against the trunk of a nearby tree. A pang of guilt shot through him as he watched the rabbit's lifeless body lying on the ground. He kneeled down beside the rabbit, closed his eyes and concentrated on absorbing its soul.

When he opened his eyes again, he had received 50 soul points.

Lucifer's heart raced as he steeled his nerves and clicked on the "Convert" button.

Suddenly, an intense surge of energy coursed through his body, and he felt himself transforming into something else.

He could feel himself becoming smaller, more fragile, and his thoughts were overtaken by primal desires. He had become a rabbit.

He was consumed by an insatiable hunger, and all he could think about was finding something to eat.

His senses were sharpened, and he was acutely aware of his surroundings.

The grass was fragrant, and he could hear the sound of leaves rustling in the wind. It was as if he had become one with nature.

But then, as suddenly as it had happened, the sensation passed. He was back in his Ghost form, but his eyes were filled with confusion. He could feel the terror of having forgotten himself and becoming a rabbit.

He quickly checked the madness percentage, and it showed 35 percent. For 50 energy, 25 madness had increased.

He realized that if he continued to consume animal souls, he would surely succumb to madness in just 100 hours.

The thought of losing his mind was too much to bear, and he knew he had to find another solution before it was too late.

Lucifer sat on a rocky outcrop in the forest, his mind in turmoil. His eyes were fixed on the ground, lost in thought. He felt like he was constantly teetering on the edge of a decision, sometimes firm in his resolve, other times sinking into despair over his lack of options.

He looked up at the canopy of trees above him and cursed the system that had forced him to make such a difficult choice. He had always known that consuming souls would be a violent and dangerous process, but he had never imagined that it would lead to him losing himself, forgetting who he truly was.

His emotions were like a whirlwind, constantly changing direction. Sometimes he would feel a sudden pang of hunger that threatened to overwhelm him, while other times he would be consumed by worry that his madness would increase too quickly. In those moments, he would curse his lucky stars for bringing him to this world and leaving him with such a terrible dilemma.

.....

Lucifer had scanned the entire system in search of a solution, but all his efforts had been in vain. He was alone with his problem, and he knew that the only way to solve it was to face it head-on.

Lucifer was on the brink of making a difficult decision when an idea struck him. He realized that the only solution to decrease his madness was to meditate. It seemed strange for a ghost to meditate, but he had no other options left.

Lucifer continued his meditation, trying various techniques he could remember from his previous life, as well as some from the anime he had seen. He focused his mind on calming down and freeing himself from the madness that threatened to overwhelm him. He spent countless hours in deep meditation, struggling to achieve even the slightest decrease in his madness levels.

Finally, after 40 hours of intense concentration, he felt a shift. One point of madness had been erased. It wasn't much, but it was progress, and it gave him hope. Encouraged by his success, he continued his meditation, pouring all his energy into the task at hand.

As the hours passed, he felt his mind grow stronger. His focus sharpened, and his determination increased. He felt the madness receding, slowly but surely, as he achieved a deeper state of inner peace.

With each passing moment, he felt his control over his own mind growing stronger. And as the madness levels dropped, he began to experience a sense of joy and contentment he had never known before.

In that moment, he understood the true meaning of the phrase, "you will only understand happiness when you have experienced despair." He had never been happier, or more at peace, than he was in that moment, after fighting so hard to overcome his inner demons (The Rabbit).

Lucifer spent the next 10 days experimenting with different animals and meditation techniques, each time absorbing their souls and trying to maintain his sanity.

His days were filled with frustration, desperation, and fear, but he refused to give up. He could feel the madness creeping up on him with each absorption, but he persevered, hoping to find a way to survive without succumbing to his own inner demons.

Finally, after countless failed attempts, he discovered a mixture of Soul Points and meditation that worked for him. It was far from perfect, but it was enough to keep his madness at bay and survive, at least for a while.

He felt relieved, but he also knew that this was not a sustainable solution. He could never accumulate enough Soul Points to buy new skills or to use many of his already present abilities, which meant that he would always be limited in what he could do.

Despite this, he continued to practice his newfound technique, hoping that he could find a way to overcome his limitations and continue to survive. It was a constant battle, but he refused to give up. He would do whatever it took to stay alive and retain some semblance of his humanity.

.....

Lucifer spent hours trying to access his next evolution option, but the screen remained blank, showing no signs of his next form. He had hoped to find a solution to his problem, but it seemed that he would have to find a way to survive without evolving.

As he continued his daily routine, he realized that he no longer needed to sleep. It was as if his ghostly form did not require rest. This discovery brought him a small sense of relief, knowing that he could spend more time gathering Soul Points and meditating without wasting precious hours on sleep.

For the next month, Lucifer roamed the forest, searching for peaceful animals to absorb their souls. With each successful hunt, he gained more Soul Points, inching closer to the amount he needed to venture into a human settlement.

Finally, after thirty days, he had accumulated enough Soul Points to try his luck in a human settlement. The thought of encountering human souls, with all their complicated emotions and desires, made him uneasy, but he knew that he had no other choice if he wanted to survive.

1