Chapter 2
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After visiting the blacksmith, we arrived at a shop that served cigarettes and coffee.

"Here son, I have Barnie's order ready..."

"You always know when we're going to buy cigarettes and coffee Auntie Mira."

"I've known the old man longer than you young man, so I've memorized his habits by heart hahaha."

Aunt Mira spoke with her signature accent.

"By the way, I'll be stopping by your bar tonight with a girl, so prepare your best food!"

"Okay auntie, then I'm off..."

"Be careful on your way home dear..."

We both said goodbye to each other.

When I reached the crossroads between the shop and the main road, I passed by the bread stall of a haggard-looking man who was daydreaming about his poorly-sold merchandise.

V looked at the bread that was starting to be infested with a few green flies that the man seemed to ignore.

"I think his bread is stale but he's still desperate to sell it..."

For some reason I felt sorry for the man.

I decided to go to his stall and ask about the price of the bread he was selling.

The man looked at me with a listless look as he mentioned the price of his bread

"Please... 10 bronze ducat for all the bread..."

I took out all the remaining money I had.

"It may not be much but... Take it..."

I put 1 silver ducat that I had secretly kept in my robe pocket.

A silver ducat is equivalent to 100 pieces of bronze ducats.

So you could say that it was a price that could get you a good meal at a street stall for a week.

The man slightly moved his back to look at the silver coins I had placed on his wooden table.

I also took all the bread in the display, which amounted to about 20 layers of slices, and put them in my carry-on bag.

"Then, I'll take my leave now–"

"Young man!..."

Before I could finish my sentence, the man then explained his gratitude by thanking me, he also told a little story of his sadness when he thought of his little daughter who was sick at home after the death of his beloved wife thinking that he was not focused on selling and lacked capital to buy medicine and trading materials.

"Thank you very much, I will immediately rush to buy medicine and go home to see my daughter."

I replied with a smile and then hurriedly went home to the bar where Barnie was.

On the way back, V asked me about what I did just now.

"Are you sure you're giving the money you've been collecting for a week to that guy?!"

"Yes, after all helping people is my second hobby."

"I don't mean to upset you, but what that man said earlier was a lie."

I stopped my footsteps after hearing V's words.

"What do you mean?"

V then turned back to the direction of the road we had previously passed while saying.

"The child that man mentioned died this morning."

I spontaneously dropped the bread wrapper I was holding.

With a gawking expression.

"What? How did you-..."

"I just knew you know.... It's like, my instinct to know when it's time for someone or where they will die a few seconds after."

I hurriedly picked up the fallen bread wrapper and ran in the direction of the road I was on earlier.

"Hey where are you going? Wait for me..."

I ran as hard as I could with my breath in my throat regardless of what V had just said.

"Where did that man go?" I asked V.

"Are you sure you want to get involved in this guy's business?"

"JUST TELL ME QUICKLY!!!..." I raised my tone while showing my serious expression to convince V to stop playing around.

V was immediately startled by my shout and then went to guide me to where I wanted to go.

The reason why I insisted on seeing the man was because I was worried about his mental state. Who knows what a man who has lost everything will do, even to the point of losing his reason to live.

Right in the middle of a narrow alleyway, there was an old wooden house that looked like it was worn out and unsafe to live in.

However, signs that the house was still inhabited could still be seen by the chandeliers and candles that burned through the reflected light from inside the house.

Without thinking, I entered the open door and found the man wrapping something in cloth on the old bed.

"Ah young man..." Greeted the man. "Did you follow me all the way here?"

I couldn't think of any other reason and spontaneously said 'yes'.

The man explained that his daughter had indeed died and he didn't have the equipment to bury her...

Therefore, this morning he sold used bread just to be able to buy a shovel or hoe to bury his daughter's body.

"I don't mean to lie to you, it's just... I don't want.... other people involved in my family affairs, so... If you don't mind, could you please... leave now?"

In this situation I tried to lend my help by saying...

"Can I help you bury your daughter's body, sir?"

The man was silent for a moment before finally rejecting my offer because for him I had helped enough with my money a couple minutes ago.

"It's okay sir, I understand how you feel right now... I also tried to bury my mother's body when I was 4 years old with a stick. However... an old man suddenly came across me and helped me bury my mother back then. So with all due respect, please allow me to help... .... Sir...?"

There was a moment of silence after I finished expressing my wish at that time.

And with a few long breaths from the man... he then turned to me and said...

"Then... Allow me to borrow your power for a couple of time, young man..."

".... With pleasure." I replied with a smile.

The two of us moved the child's cloth-wrapped corpse to the cemetery on a nearby hill using a wooden cart.

The man and I pushed as hard as we could while focusing our eyes on the road that was getting a bit lonely because it was getting dark.

Accompanied by the roar of the wooden wheels, and the sound of owls in the trees, we finally arrived at our destination.

Under a big banyan tree, we both took turns hoeing because we only had one hoe.

The man insist wanted to take the first hoeing turn.

While waiting for my turn, I looked around the place which somehow reminded me of my childhood where I buried my own mother's body.

"Is the story about your wife true?"

I asked the man curiously.

"You must be curious about that... I don't blame you, it's true that my wife died not long before. It's just that... She was eaten by a beast...."

"Sorry..."

"It's okay, I'm even happy to be able to share my dark story with others... I'm sorry that I can only tell you my sad story."

"...."

After that it was my turn to dig, I kept digging and digging until it was deep enough and ready to be used for the child to rest in peace forever.

After placing the body, we buried it together until it was done.

Taking almost 3 hours, we both finished delivering the child to her final resting place.

And for a final touch, Mr. Orba carved his daughter's name on the banyan tree right below her grave.

I could see the name the man had carved, it said "Olivia".

"Thank you young man, this way I'm sure my daughter can rest in peace."

Said the father while patting my shoulder.

"You're welcome sir..."

"I forgot one thing, may I know your name?"

"My name is .... Kiel... Just Kiel...",

"Ki..el.... Such a simple name... I'm Orba, nice to meet you Kiel."

"Me too, Mr. Orba."

We both shook hands with each other then went to the man's old house to drop him off and say goodbye.

After I picked up all my groceries and was about to leave. Mr. Orba stopped me and gave me the remaining ducats from buying the hoe which totaled around 90 bronze ducats in a cloth bag.

"No sir, this is your money now, I can't take it..."

"I have no other reason for this money so take it back..."

Neither of us don't wanted to take the money until suddenly an idea came into my head when I heard the sound of our stomachs rumbling against each other.

"How about you go to Barnie's bar with me? I happen to be an employee there, and I also think it would be good to spend the money there so that it flows back to me as well."

"I think... that's a good idea Kiel..."

The two of us set off together while chatting a bit on the way.

Meanwhile, V was seen staying beside the grave we had previously made.

By bowing down while chanting some incantations, the spirit of the little girl instantly rose with a bright green aura...

"Now tell me, the real reason why you ended up dead?"

"My father beat me every day and strangled me to death, he was depressed after being left behind by my mother who ran away from home because she couldn't stand the behavior of my father who was a drunkard and unemployed."

"What a poor soul, do you want to go to the next world soon? Or do you have other wishes before that?"

"Can I stay in this world for a while longer, I want to meet my father before I go to say goodbye."

"Of course, I'll take you to where your father is now..."

V stretched out his hand and walked with the spirit while holding her hand towards Barnie's bar.

After a long time, we arrived at the entrance of the barnie bar.

There I was greeted unfriendly by the old man directly.

"Do you know how long I've been waiting for you to get this upset? Quick, go inside. You have the most important role in the kitchen as an assistant chef."

An annoyed Barnie started kicking my waist with his knee.

"Sorry old man, yes I'll go in now-..."

After that incident, there was only Barnie and Mr. Orba at the entrance.

Both of them looked unhappy to see each other's faces.

"Barnie... I..."

"How is little Olivia? Is she well?"

"She's dead. ...."

Old Barnie was instantly jolted by Mr. Orba's words, he then sighed with a look of consideration on his face.

While taking a few steps towards the entrance Barnie then said...

"Come inside... It's not good to chat with a hungry stomach... and also, I'm only allowing you to come see your wife here for once."

With a small nod from Orba, the two of them entered the bar.

Here I was stuck with kitchen duties as an assistant chef,

"Where have you been?! We have a lot of customers coming in and the ingredients started to slowly run out an hour ago." Said a 30-year-old woman named Hellen. The housewife who had been working with me for the past few weeks.

While packing up my groceries and putting them in place in a hurry, I answered Hellen's question.

"Sorry I got caught in an emergency situation..."

"Really? What kind of emergency situation would make us wait so long?"

"Something that rarely happens, like helping a poor man bury his daughter Olivia three hours ago."

Hellen, who was peeling onions, accidentally cut her finger until it bled, there was a small scream that spontaneously made my eyes fixated on her.

"Are you okay?" I asked Hellen.

"It's fine, it's just a small cut... More importantly, tell me more details about the man and girl named Olivia you were referring to just now."

"Well, about that–...."

Before I could answer, Barnie came from the kitchen entrance with a nervous look on his face, as evidenced by his occasional downward glances and stammering speech as he told Hellen to go and meet someone outside.

Hellen was pensive for a while before slowly walking out of the kitchen past Barnie.

Barnie, who saw that, glanced at me as if to tell me to stay focused on my current work.

I, who was plagued by random thoughts, decided to refocus on my work, which was to prepare the dishes that would be cooked like the duties of a chef's assistant.

On the other hand, Hellen, who arrived accompanied by Barnie, saw a familiar face sitting at one of the customer tables with a downcast look, it was Mr. Orba.

Seeing Hellen's arrival, Orba immediately stood up from his seat and immediately expressed his intention of coming here.

"Hellen... I-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Hellen immediately held up her hand for Orba to stop talking.

Her eyes closed in pain as if she already knew what Orba wanted to talk to her about.

"Where is Olivia, where is my daughter?... Why are you here alone? Don't you care about your own child when you leave her alone at home?"

"....."

"ANSWER ME!" Hellen shouted loudly.

Her scream caused the other bar patrons to fall silent, as all attention began to focus on the two of them.

Fiona, the notoriously timid waitress, rushed to the kitchen to hide...

I, who saw her coming, spontaneously asked her about the scream that was heard all the way to the kitchen just now.

"Kiel, I'm scared... I don't know why but it looks like there's going to be a fight between Miss. Hellen and that guy over there soon." Said Fiona, who sat peering at the kitchen exit.

For some reason I began to feel the feeling that Fiona was feeling, so I went to check the situation outside.

Sure enough, there was an argument between the two people.

Hellen, who turned out to be Mr. Orba's wife and Olivia's mother, didn't accept the fact that her husband Orba told her that Olivia had died.

Barnie, assisted by several bar patrons, tried to calm Hellen who was devoured by emotion.

Meanwhile, Orba, who had received slaps and scratches from Hellen, could only bow down and accept the treatment.

"Just Go!... Go away!... Go away and never dare to show your face to me again!...." Hellen shouted hysterically.

"Go... Get out of here Orba! For Hellen's sake, leave!" Barnie joined in telling Orba to leave.

I, who was seeing a mother's hysterical expression like that for the first time, could only silently watch it all from behind the kitchen exit.

It wasn't long before Mr. Orba left, devastated.

Hellen cried incessantly as if she couldn't accept the fate that had befallen her life.

She was heard cursing and regretting her decision to marry a man like Mr. Orba.

Not long after, Hellen was taken to a room so that she could calm herself down.

Barnie returns to the kitchen to take his place as the main chef at the bar.

And at that very moment in Orba's wooden house.

He was seen tying a rope to a wooden board supporting the roof.

With his mind wandering, he had only one reason for the rope he was holding....

To be continued....

2