ch 14 – Return
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Youtube version

 


separator.png

 

In the previous chapter, Violet forced her way out of the Underground, losing harpy friends to the Mage Guild.

Chapter 14
Return

The harpies welcomed Violet’s party with warm hugs, celebrating their long-awaited return to the witch hut after years of separation.
Witch Hut

However, as Violet stepped inside, she was taken aback by the state of the house. Giant bird nests had replaced the tables and cupboards, and twigs covered the floor, making it difficult to walk.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Wow, you really made yourself at home, huh? Are those nests comfortable?” Violet commented with a mix of amusement and curiosity towards the cozy nests.

She wanted to try sitting inside, but she was caught off guard by the sight of young nestlings peering back in curiosity. Of course, the nests weren’t meant to be empty. Their gaze both melted Violet’s heart and embarrassed her.

Volitar, the eldest of the flock, offered her support, sensing the party’s exhaustion and sadness. She listened to the distraught harpies, providing a sympathetic ear.

Feeling out of place, Violet sought solace outside and found a seat on a worn wooden log.

She contemplated the stars, wallowing in regrets. Her trip to the Underground left her with no hope and dream. Instead, she only returned with the conclusion that she should have stayed home instead of struggling against her inevitable sickness.

Just as Violet was lost in thoughts, a delightful aroma wafted towards her.

Volitar appeared, offering a steaming bowl of stew.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“T-thank you.” Violet said shily, accepting the bowl. Her eyes met Volitar’s, surprised by the genuine warmth and understanding in her gaze.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“I heard that Lorely stayed behind. Although I am not as good as her, tell me if you need anything and I will help.” Volitar smiled as always.

As Violet savored the comforting flavors of the stew, she couldn't help but express her guilt and self-blame.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Aren’t you angry at me? I… Some harpies died because of me.”

Volitar paused, her gaze thoughtful. She reached out and gently placed a hand on Violet's head.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“I am sad that we lost them. But, I don’t think it was entirely your fault.”

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“What do you mean? I made the wrong choices, and they suffered because of it!”

Volitar scratched her head, struggling to find the words to explain her view.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“You see, life in the wild is quite difficult. Death is always at the corner. Even in this place, we had a few losses during your absence.” Volitar gestured towards the encompassing forest, where dangers lurked.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“How did that happen?!” Nothing of the sort happened during her time in the tree house.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“We, harpies, are confident that we can flee from threats when needed. But that doesn’t always guarantee survival. We can’t outrun wounds, sickness, or hunger, no matter how much we try.”

Violet understood vaguely. Wild harpies didn’t form social groups and lacked all cultural knowledge to navigate those challenges. The wrong treatment for wounds and sickness could hasten their demise.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“There are fights that we must take. To gather food, to protect our turf, to defend our eggs… It is easy for us to die in the process, and that’s how we lost a few harpies during the course of the past year.”

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Doesn’t that mean that we could have avoided those losses if Lorely and I didn’t leave the hut?”

Volitar smacked Violet’s head.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“Why are you so negative? You already did so much for us, we can’t leech off you all the time. Do you remember when Lorely found me? I was struggling because my talon was broken and got infected.”

Violet nodded obediently, surprised by the unprompted attack.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“Crude tools don't help as much as our natural talons do, so losing them is a big deal. It was only thanks to your care that I made it through. And I’m not the only one who owes you.”

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“That’s right, and you have stuck with us ever since.” Violet giggled.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“Harpies don’t usually band together because we can’t find enough easy prey to feed everyone. Joining a flock involves facing ferocious beasts and entrusting your life to others, which we rarely do. No one wants to die just so everyone else can fill their belly.”

Violet realized that the reason why most people were terrified to interact with wild harpy was because they were toughened lone survivors. Lorely’s harpies, on the other hand, stood out as the sweetest goofballs ever.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“We only gather around strong leaders like Lorely, who can take the most dangerous roles during hunts. I’ve done my best to fill her role during her absence, and we managed so far thanks to the trust we built up with each other while following Lorely, but …”

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“I was too lacking to protect everyone.” Volitar sighed.

Violet patted Volitar’s shoulder, sympathizing with her burden.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“The flock will decay as morale decreases. But for now, we’re doing much better than if we were scattered alone in the wild.” She shared a hopeful smile.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“We really shouldn’t have left.” Violet really felt bad for taking Lorely out.

Volitar sighed at Violet, who stubbornly kept her point of view.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“I didn’t tell you that to pity us. What I mean is that you are part of our flock. We will care for you the same way the flock cared for us. Getting hurt in that process was a given.” Volitar patted the hand resting on her shoulder.

Violet felt a little relieved by Volitar’s words. She also understood better why Lorely was desperate to keep her blessing. Her flock would be very likely to disband, or worse she could be rejected because she couldn’t pull her weight as a sheltered guest from another world.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“I heard that a number of harpies fled during the attack, and sneaked back in the group after you resurrected the fallen harpies. Whether they fled or stood their ground to protect you, they made that choice on their own accord.” Volitar hugged Violet.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“You know, those girls are very fond of Lorely and you. That’s why they were excited to share this journey with you.”

Violet remembered the faces of her valiant defenders, who had risked their lives to save her. The realization that they had been alive just that morning, yet were now forever out of reach was a bitter pill to swallow.

Flock’s Eldest
Volitar
“Isn’t our bond impressive? They fought for your sake, not knowing that you could revive them. If you are grateful, let’s keep treasuring each other and remember the sacrifices.” Volitar stroked Violet’s back.

Overwhelmed by a flood of emotions, Violet embraced Volitar, unable to hold back a stream of tears.

After offering the dead a proper burial, Life in the tree-house returned to its usual routine, save for a few changes.
Weeks Later

Violet’s previous companions like Elpy stayed cooped in the hut, not eating anything.

Violet acted similarly, barely eating and staring absently at the window most of the day. Hopefully, she would catch a glimpse of Lorely returning home.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Any day now…” She mumbled.

However, days turned into weeks, and Lorely did not make her way back home. Violet couldn’t keep moping around while leeching off the harpies.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Ugh… Be happy! Be free!” Violet cried as she released her stag beetle. There was little concern for its survival as it was powerful enough to blast any predator away.

She went on to work on artifacts for Volitar to hunt more safely. She looked into her cupboard and wardrobe where magical trinkets were stored.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Huh, why is that sword still here? Did the commissioner not take it?” Violet grabbed the Overlord’s Hell Devourer she had made for a customer.
Hell Devourer

A passing-by harpy feeding her children chimed in.

Friend
Harpy Hag
“Oh that? The customer found it too disgusting, so they didn’t take it. They even wanted a refund. Fortunately, you already left with all your money.”

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Outrageous! Rooks really have no taste. How dare they demand a refund for this masterpiece?”

Honestly, it was nothing compared to what Dungeons make. Violet had to wear a medusa’s dried tongue when she was a test subject in the Mage’s Guild.

She ranted, but she was also happy to have more material to strengthen the harpies.

The artifact was currently made for combat against pawns by disrupting warding aura. The intent was to mow down armies in a single strike with the momentum of the Overlord’s steed.

It was useless in its current state for harpies, as wild prey had no warding aura. But with a few tweaks, it would become a great hunting tool.

Due to the constraints for equipping magical items, Violet planned to give a harpy a weapon, and another harpy a warding charm. So first, she had to measure the wielder’s manaload budget.

Destitute Sovereign
Violet
“Volitar, come here~” Violet stepped outside, with firm determination to work on the harpies while Lorely was away.

 

(o゜▽゜)o☆

 

Thank you for reading!

 

Thanks you to my patrons: Taji, Crowjerry, anons

 

Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaS5stMxsr

Substar: https://subscribestar.adult/owotrucked

The tiers are:
2.5$ for 1 advance chapter
5$ for 3 advance chapters
7.5$ for 6 advance chapters

1