V1C2 Rookies
82 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

(Edit: I am changing to First Person PoV since I think it would work better and also changed the story so uh..yeah)


V1 Chapter 2:  Rookies

(Dante PoV)

After the whole mess at the gate, I was walking peacefully on the streets of District C, which had one of the lowest crime rates in the entire city making it the complete opposite of H.

Unlike the grim and unclean streets of H, the streets were extremely clean and the buildings were of varying colors. Many people were moving around, all well-dressed and pleasant-looking. A group of children ran past me, all happy and enjoying themselves. Robot Knights stood guard every hundred meters, standing still as they observed the district and maintained its peace. 

No blood. No corpses lying around, mutilated beyond recognition, and robbed of all their belongings. No children or adults in rags begging just to live another day.

The same city and yet the difference between both sides of the wall makes me want to laugh sometimes. Years of living in this city and it still is funny.

My workplace was located in the southwestern part of District C. The gate I had entered from was in the Southeastern part and the distance between the two regions takes nearly an hour to cover on a scooter. But ever since my dear friend decided to take my scooter for a ride and managed to destroy it completely, I have no choice but to cover the distance on foot. 

As someone whose forte isn't physical strength, I survive these long and arduous walks each day by taking breaks in between. I could probably buy another one but sadly my boss underpays me for my work and forgets to pay for overtime jobs. And yet I still work with her for some reason.

Wishing for the ground below to swallow me up and save me from this sad and cruel thing called life, I arrived at my workplace out of breath and legs aching.

In an alley near the market square was a greenish building, two dark wooden doors were its entrance, and above them was a green neon signboard that read 'Lin's Office'. It was so high up that just trying to look at it would give one neck pain as if being blinded by the bright light wasn't enough.

As I walked in, he already could feel my boss's anger at the entrance. The large room we called the 'office' had bright blue walls with long dragons and clouds painted on them. The room had three desks, two shelves, and five armchairs. One desk and armchair were in a corner, the entire area was filled with tons of files and folders. Two desks were placed at the back of the room in an 'L', one with a desktop on it and the other with two of them. Behind one of them were both the bookshelves. An armchair was present behind both desks and two in front of both of them, which was where our clients usually sat. Another door was present in another corner, which led to a staircase to the upper part of the building.

A chair behind a desk was occupied by my currently very angry boss, Miss Lin. A beautiful mature woman with long green hair tied in a high ponytail and amber eyes. A scar was visible on her neck, that seemed to continue downwards. Her attire was similar to mine, a black two-piece suit, white shirt, etc. which was common for many in the fixer business.

What's a 'fixer' you may ask? Think of us as problem solvers who also tend to be good as info gatherers. Need your dog walked? Call a fixer. Need someone to stalk your spouse to find out whether they are cheating on you? Call a fixer. Need secret government intelligence? Call a fixer. Need someone to drink your sorrows away with? Call me.

Standing opposite her were two people. A guy in a tracksuit with white hair (an old man?) and a woman in a hoodie and ripped jeans with black hair. Somehow those two have managed to piss off my boss (which isn't hard to do) and thanks to that I quietly got to my seat and sat down with a sigh of relief.

"I am fine with low pay, just let me join here." The woman asked, trying to sound polite. 

"I am not recruiting. I don't need any more employees than the one I already have."

"Having more hands at work would be better than just you two right? With us helping out you'll end up with a higher profit right?"

"Still there's no need for you"

Ever since Lin started this office, it's always been just the two of us working. Or to be honest, just me working and her lazing around. Most of the time she would stubbornly refuse to hire anyone else and the few times she did hire someone they eventually went missing. Truly a strange thing isn't it?

The woman pursed her lips and then sighed. She moved closer to Lin and whispered something to her. My boss frowned and then the two of them stepped out of the office, leaving me behind along with the other guy, He looked at the door and then at me awkwardly while scratching the back of his head as if he was expecting me to explain what just happened. 

Not wanting to get involved in whatever was going on, I decided to browse through my phone for news.

"Ummmm...." He wanted to say something but it looked as if the words were stuck in his throat.

"Hm?"

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your name?"

"Dante."

"I see." A moment of silence before he opened his mouth again.

"How does it feel to work under Miss Lin? I heard she's incredibly strong and used to be a famous adventurer."

"It's exhausting."

"I thought working with someone like her would be fun. I mean think about it, she's an S rank."

"As far as I am concerned, all S ranks are crazy. She's that plus lazy."

"I see.... what rank are you? If you don't mind me asking." I looked up from my phone's screen and stared at him, causing him to squirm under my gaze. 

"Sorry for asking"

"E rank." Surprise took over his face as I had expected. Ranks were considered quite important among the ordinary people. Higher the better.  I checked my status.

.....

[Status]

Name: Dante

Rank: E

Class: Priest of Death (Unique)

.....

Yup, Still have a shitty E rank despite my age of twenty-seven.

We simply waited in silence for the other two to return with him trying his best not to look at me. After a few minutes, the two returned, the woman looking pleased while my boss looked dejected. With a sigh she spoke.

"Dante these two will be working with us from today. Their names are Shizuru and Wilhelm." Shizuru smiled at me as she bowed.

"Looking forward to working with you." I stared in disbelief.

She managed to convince my stubborn boss. She must have had some really good blackmail material to pull this off, one that I definitely needed to get my hands on. Who is this person? In an almost inaudible tone, I muttered.

[ Basic Status Scan]

.....

Name: Shizuru ???

Rank: C

Class: Spellblade (Common)

Stats:   Str=25   Vit=29    Mag=15  Int=16  Luc=18

Titles : Regressor

.....

This is interesting.


 

 

 

 

 

 

2