Chapter 5
641 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ventured into the nation of Razartiya with relative ease, as the border checks were practically nonexistent. However, I quickly realized that the border towns of this country were plagued with an assortment of menacing monsters and notorious bandits. It was no surprise that this nation was the first to crumble when the demonic invasion occurred.

Although the current Razartiyan Empire still retained its grandiose title, it had long lost its former glory of an Empire, as its inhabitants would readily attest. In the past, Razartiya had been a relentless war-mongering nation, known for its brutal campaigns against smaller nations in a quest for expansion. They would mercilessly plunder these lands, eradicating cultures, decimating nations, and enslaving their conquered people. The bloodshed and suffering inflicted upon others were what fueled the empire's fleeting sense of magnificence, What their glory was fueled with. 

The leaders of Razartiya were no exception to this pattern of corruption. From the first emperor to the present ruler, they all shared the traits of being corrupt, narcissistic individuals driven by insatiable greed. Their insidious desires knew no bounds, as they sought to accumulate vast amounts of wealth, adorning their palaces with gold while their subjects suffered.

However, all come to an end as they exhausted their options for attacking smaller nations, they found themselves encircled by formidable powers on three sides: the Confederacy of Ashrehem, led by the Chaos Dragon Ophris, Durhim, the land of dead, and the Kingdom of Yerlya, a majestic empire inhabited by elves; they were surrounded by strong nation on all three sides and to the empire's fourth side stretched the vast ocean, acting as a natural barrier.

Even though they desired wars, they had no fondness for one in which they will come out as defeated ones, which is why they stopped invading other nations, instead, they turned against each other, creating factions and amassing powers within, they waged war against their own brethren, slowly the quasi civil war started to take a toll on the empire and in the end after 8 years, the Gateway to demon realm will be opened and mark the end of this empire once and for all. 

That is all the information I know about this nation, of course, there is a much bigger play going on behind the curtains but The Library only shows what is necessary so I do not know every piece of information. 

I walked through the streets and wherever I went the people bowed, they bowed from the time they could hear my steps until my figure disappeared from their shadows. Fear, awe, and astonishment were visible in their eyes. Emotions artificially instilled by the Aura of cosmic mana that blanketed me. 

Walking like this rekindled my memories of the lives I lived as the Lords, Kings, and Emperor. People cheered when I strolled out of my palace in those lives. Festivals will break out, with music, dancing, and fireworks illuminating the night sky. The people would celebrate my presence in those lives. 

And I enjoyed it very much. 

I enjoyed people appreciating me, who wouldn't? The adoration and reverence from the masses can be intoxicating, and it's only natural to derive pleasure from such experiences. Being revered and celebrated can provide a sense of validation and importance. 

But I enjoy it for a special reason

I silently fulfill my role as the Game Changer in the shadows, an enigmatic figure weaving threads of change. I arrive unannounced, like a fleeting gust of wind, altering destinies and shaping outcomes without seeking glory for myself. There is no room for reveling in the fruits of my hard work, no respite to be found in the rewards of my sacrifices. When the job ends, I must relinquish everything I hold dear, forsaking personal fulfillment in the name of a higher purpose. 

So, I seek solace in the fleeting moments of appreciation, knowing that they are the only fragments of warmth I can get. 

But now, this attention is a burden, with a mental command I turned down the Enigmatic charm. And as the source of the cosmic mana vanishes, the attention I received became minimal, which I took full advantage of to blend in with the crowd escaping from the prying eyes. 

Soon I reached my destination. 

"ADVENTURER GUILD"

The niche that is the center of many stories, clichés, predictable storylines, and overpowered protagonists, this world too has guilds, different types of them. Independent organization that acts as a central authority to a group of people affiliated with them, be it Adventurers, Mercenaries, or Alchemists. 

As I step into the Adventurer Guild, the cacophony of voices and bustling activity washes over me, creating a sense of chaotic energy in the air. The dimly lit hall feels both intimidating and inviting, with the flickering torches casting eerie shadows on the worn wooden walls. Approaching the reception desk, I noticed a guild official who greeted me with a polite nod, their expression tinged with a hint of weariness. "Welcome to the Adventurer Guild," she said in a weary tone, her voice betraying the weight of countless adventurers passing through these doors. "How can I assist you today?"

"I seek information," I answered.

"On what? Monsters? Ruins? Dungeons?" she inquired.

"Ruins," I replied, "Specifically, the Ruins of Rangotta."

The guild employee raised an eyebrow. "Can I ask for your purpose?" she inquired.

"No", I replied firmly.

She paused for a moment, assessing my reply. "...Very well then. Wait in room number three. I will send someone who can assist you. Just walk straight and look to your right, and you'll find yourself in room number three."

Following her instructions, I entered the designated room and waited patiently. A few minutes later, a man clad in full silver plate armor entered. "Are you the customer who wants to know about the Ruins of Rangotta?" he asked, to which I nodded.

"Well, consider yourself fortunate, my friend, as you have found the right person," he proclaimed as he took a seat on the couch in the room. "I am Verth Trey, a Paladin trainee of the Adria sect, and a D-class adventurer. I am probably the person in this world most acquainted with matters concerning that accursed ruin. However, I must warn you that I charge one silver coin for every three questions."

"Have you ever ventured into the Second Circle?" I inquired, surprising the adventurer.

He leaned forward, his laid-back demeanor giving way to curiosity. "You seem to be familiar with the internal structure of the Ruin," he remarked.

I remained silent, prompting a frown to appear on Verth's face. "Only the information on the first circle is public. Those who are aware of the second circle are few in number, and they are not inclined to share their knowledge. So forgive my curiosity," he explained.

"In the second level, have you encountered an undead knight?" I pressed, piquing Verth's interest further.

"How do you... Wait a minute! Who are you really?" he demanded, puzzled by my inquiries.

I offered no response but had gleaned all the information I needed. Placing a silver coin on the table, I headed toward the door.

"Hey! You didn't answer me!" Verth exclaimed, his stretched hand reaching out toward me. Sensing his growing agitation, I activated the Enigmatic Charm once again, enveloping myself in an aura that exuded an intimidating presence.

Verth's outstretched hand froze in midair, his mouth agape, and beads of sweat forming on his forehead. His eyes filled with fear as they remained locked onto mine.

"Here's a piece of advice for the future, when someone calls upon you to answer questions," I said, deactivating the charm and releasing Verth from his stunned state. "Just answer the questions."

With that, I exited the room, leaving the perplexed adventurer behind,

27