Chapter 15
708 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This woman was a rare find, her mysterious abilities protecting her subordinates from the effects of the Enigmatic charm. Encountering someone capable of countering a skill from the depths of my library so swiftly was an unexpected twist. Such adversaries were typically reserved for the climactic battles against end-level boss characters in the world of challenges I ventured into.

The situation was undeniably troublesome, but it was far from unfamiliar to me. In the unpredictable landscapes of my adventures, I had weathered similar storms before.

"Rython, from this point forward, she is your target," I commanded.

In response, the undead knight, as if controlled by a shadowy marionette master, extended dark tendrils from his armoured hand. These ethereal appendages slithered through the air, only to meet a swift and decisive end at the hands of our formidable adversary. Her eyes locked onto mine, and in that exchange, an unspoken acceptance of my challenge passed between us.

In a breathtaking display of grace and skill, her lithe form vaulted elegantly into the heavens, a gleaming blade poised to strike at the exposed neck of Rython, my loyal guardian. The descent of her slash was a mesmerizing study in precision, met with Rython's unwavering defence. However, this performance was far from its climax; as if conjured from the very fabric of thin air, another blade materialized in her free hand. In a brief lapse of awareness on Rython's part, he found himself defenceless against the impending onslaught.

But suddenly a flash of light flicked across her eyes, making her raise the blade she conjured to stop an impending attack.

It was a blade I threw at the moment of chance I saw but was again unsuccessful, I looked at her while shrugging. "Had to try"

She turned herself towards me and sprinted at lightning flash, but was stopped by Rython who swiped her leg at her footwork, but it only flattered her as her agility and acrobatic skill again came to her aid. She jumped into the sky pointing her sword at Rython

"STOP!" I roared, channelling the full might of my Enigmatic power directly towards her. While she had proven capable of shielding herself and her subordinates, could she withstand my unyielding focus?

Her form froze mid-air, her attack's trajectory arrested by an invisible force. It was a moment suspended in time. Rython seized this fleeting opportunity, grasping both her swords in his steel hand and pulling her closer. In a final crescendo of action, he delivered a resounding headbutt, his steel helm connecting with her own. She staggered backwards, but Rython persisted, relentlessly pulling her in for another headbutt.

And another.

And another.

And another.

'BAAMM.'

'BAAM.'

'BAAMM.'

Rython appeared to hold the upper hand, his relentless assault unyielding. However, an unsettling sensation clawed at the depths of my being, gnawing away at my confidence. It was as if the very air around us had grown thick with tension, and I sensed the resistance against my Enigmatic charm strengthening with every passing moment. 

As the battle raged on, it became painfully evident that our situation was growing dire. She, the elegant figure before me, ceased her evasive manoeuvres, choosing instead to face Rython's headbutts head-on. The earth-shaking "BAAMM" of their clashes echoed through the forest, a deafening testament to the ferocity of their struggle. She remained unflinching, her eyes locked onto the relentless undead knight as he pressed his assault.

Time seemed to warp as the battle reached its zenith, and at last, Rython halted his relentless attack. The stillness that followed was shattered by her voice, a symphony of a thousand harmonicas, each word dripping with beauty yet sharp enough to cut through the thickest tension.

"Finished?" she inquired, her voice lingering in the air like a haunting melody.

With determination burning in her eyes, she muttered, "Then it's my turn," and with a thunderous crash, she hurled her head at Rython, sending him hurtling through the forest. I felt a searing pain in my head as the Enigmatic charm was forcefully dispelled, leaving me vulnerable and disoriented.

Staggering backwards, clutching my throbbing head, I desperately tried to regain my composure. As the dust settled, Rython emerged from the wreckage, his steel form battered and disoriented but far from defeated. He managed to rise to his feet, his determination unwavering despite the odds stacked against him.

But Rython's strong will was being tested, despite his best attempts as hard truth was settling in. Each second the gap between the strength was just increasing, making me wonder whether the woman was serious before, or whether she was playing with us until now. 

Desperation clawed at my heart as I delved into my own soul, seeking the Golden Globe that contained my second skill, Soul Echo. But time, that cruel adversary, proved once again that it was not on my side, there are still six fresh hours ahead before I can use the skill again. 

In that dire moment, only one option remained: to retreat and live to fight another day. I turned my gaze to my knight, attempting to convey a silent message, a plea for him to utilize the steel knights as a diversion, to swarm our formidable foe and buy us precious time.

Yet, as I sent the message, an invisible force intercepted it, crushing my attempt to communicate. The stabbing pain in my head returned, reminiscent of the Enigmatic Charm's destruction.

"Damn it!" I cursed aloud, turning my attention back to the woman, my vision locked solely on her. "One More Time!" I unleashed the Enigmatic charm upon her.

The surroundings grew heavy, trees around me exploded, and the ground beneath the woman began to crumble and split. I saw a flicker of fear in her stance until she swung her sword again, and the same agonizing pain assaulted my head.

"It's no use; your power may be troublesome, but I am the wrong opponent," her beautiful voice resonated in my ears, sending shivers down my spine. "I can cut anything, even the unseen."

She warned, her words enlightening me. She was not shielding from Enigmatic charm but was cutting it before it reached her, she is someone who can cut the intangible, something impossible. 

With grim determination, she advanced toward Rython, her steps a dance of grace. In that moment, I realized the true extent of her abilities, and a sense of wary washed over me, mingled with fear.

But amid the chaos and danger, one phrase consumed my thoughts, echoing through my consciousness like a haunting refrain.

'I can cut anything, Even the unseen.'

That voice, Those words. How many could make such audacious claims? In my lifetime, I have encountered very few who dared.

"Cut anything" I muttered echoing her words

Something about those words haunted me for some reason. As a relentless question echoed within me: Where had I heard it before? In that voice…

Where?

And then, like a bolt of lightning, the memory struck me—the voice.

'Should I cut him down?'

I know it, I have heard it. It belonged to a friend.

'I could always cut your tongue out, you know?'

A friend who spoke in stark contrast to her elegant demeanour.

'My dream is to stand by your side and cut down anything in your way.'

She was... "Athena!?" The realization hit me like a tidal wave, an emotional whirlwind that left me reeling in disbelief and uncertainty.

No, it couldn't be possible.

Suddenly as if lightning struck the woman halted in her steps, silent. With her back against me, she removed her hood, revealing platinum-coloured hair, as pure blood of the world tree.  "You became Slow, Captain"

11