Book 3 Chapter 30
187 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How did this happen?” Faelor asked.

“That’s… a complicated question.” Vashti admitted. “We’re still trying to figure out exactly what happened.”

In the end, Aratessa had lost 12 of her elves from the attack. Eli’s group fared considerably better – all his orcish tribemates pulled through, their natural healing abilities kicking in the moment the spell disrupters were turned off. Still, the fact that they’d come so close to successfully kidnapping Isla shook him, and as soon as he’d awoken in Irandell he wanted answers.

Those answers started to come several days later when the tides receded and Vashti had come through a portal from Serapenthra, requesting to speak with them.

“Let’s start with what we do know then.” Selendis suggested. “Preferably from the beginning.”

The rest of the room leaned in with interest. They’d gathered in the Hightower family lounge with King Faelor and his wives, along with Eli and his harem, Minerva, Vespera, Aratessa, and Seraphina. The only ones not present were Isla and Eli’s orcish bodyguards.

Nodding, Vashti started to speak. “Sometime after sundown, several members of our staff headed out to the far end of the island to clean up the beach in preparation for the party which was supposed to happen in the morning there. When they arrived they found approximately 30 seemingly abandoned boats. They followed proper procedures and reported it over the radio. We sent a contingent of our guards to investigate, but all they found were the bodies of the staffers and hundreds of tracks leading around the island. They alerted the rest of our guards, but by then it was already too late – they were in the ballroom and pushing towards the basement.”

“How did they get in the hotel without anyone noticing?” Naz questioned.

“It appears they came in through one of the staff entrances on the rim of the wheel.” Vashti replied, shaking her head in shame. “The door was left unlocked, and the staff who normally occupy that area were missing.”

“It was an inside job then.” Zee concluded.

“So it would seem.” Vashti agreed.

“What happened next?” Selendis asked.

“Once we realized we were under attack, we rallied our forces and fought these…creatures while we evacuated the guests to safe areas. Once it became apparent that we’d won the battle they seemed particularly determined not to be taken prisoner. They fought to the death, and when they had no other options they killed themselves. None survived to be questioned.”

The room went silent for a few moments, then Vashti spoke again. “Based on the behaviours we witnessed, it appears they were searching for someone. While there were many incidental guest injuries and several casualties, it appears that they only fought those guests who actively stood in the way of their search…with the notable exception of your group.” She said, raising her eyebrows at Faelor. “I have told you everything I know. In the spirit of friendship between Serapenthra and the Hightower family, I ask that you do the same.”

“Do you have members of your staff who are part of the Church of the Immortal Primordial Dragon?” Aria questioned first.

Vashti narrowed her eyes, then nodded. “Some, maybe. There are many religious groups in Serapenthra, and I don’t make it a habit of asking my employees about their religious beliefs. I’m not familiar with that particular group though. Why do you ask? Do you think the church was behind this?”

She paused for a second, her eyes flicking between Aria and Faelor. Taking a deep breath, Eli decided to answer. “The Church was working with a dark elven house – the House of the Snake. The things we fought are the result of their genetic experimentation – hybrids between naga and lizardkin.”

Vashti gasped. “The Church actually did it? They solved the problem of naga-lizardkin interbreeding?”

“No.” Eli clarified. “They used cloning techniques to create a hybrid, and are using them as mindless foot soldiers. They’re not a true, living offspring of a lizardkin and a naga.”

“I see.” She said, clearly disappointed. “So why were they here then?”

“That’s… a sensitive topic.” Eli answered.

“If we’re to be allies in this, you need to trust me.” Vashti insisted. “Whoever this group is, I can assure you that they do not represent our people. My government is already out for blood – they’ve branded everyone involved in the attack as a terrorist. If you tell me who they are and what they were after, I can help hunt them down.”

“Eli…” Zee said. “She fought on our behalf. Her troops died on our behalf. I think she’s proven herself.”

He furrowed his brow. These sorts of decisions weighed heavily on him due to their potentially far-reaching implications. His eyes flicked to Faelor for support, and he nodded.

Deciding to trust in Zee’s judgement, Eli answered. “They were there looking for Isla.”

“Why?” Vashti asked.

“She’s the missing piece of their puzzle. They’re trying to create a chimera between lizardkin, naga, and dragon. They need a pure-blooded female dragon to do it. We’re pretty sure they were the ones who tried to ambush us back on Targe Maraz too, just with different versions of the clones.”

“Is there anything else you can tell me about them?” Vashti pressed. “Anything which might help us find them?”

“They disguised themselves as orcs.” Zee offered. “I’m told only a few enchanters can create items which do that. We cross referenced the ones we knew could do it versus anyone we knew was affiliated with the Church, but came up with nothing.”

“Ah, it may be an incomplete list then.” Vashti said. “I’ll add to it for you. We’ll need every advantage we can possibly get - if a fringe group like them suffers a defeat like this, I doubt they have very many forces left. They’re probably hiding somewhere.”

“I wouldn’t count on that.” Naz disagreed. “They came ashore with…what, a hundred troops? Maybe a bit more? How many lizardkin and naga guards did you have?”

“Over a thousand.” She replied.

“If it was an inside job, they would have known that a force of 100 wouldn’t be enough to hold off the whole island. They would have needed more.” Naz finished.

Zee nodded. “They were shock troops – meant to move fast and secure the objective.” She turned to Vashti. “You said they came in boats? How big?”

“20-30 feet long.” Vashti guessed.

“I looked at the map after we got back – the island is well over 100 miles from the mainland. There’s no way they’re making that trip in a bunch of small boats.” Zee said confidently. “They would have positioned a larger ship offshore, one they could launch an amphibious assault from. I’m willing to bet they had a secondary force waiting to extract Isla as soon as they secured her. That’s what I’d do, anyways.”

“The guards did report seeing some faint lights on the horizon when they saw the boats.” Vashti revealed.

“They must have retreated when they realized their plan wasn’t working.” Eli reasoned. “Based on the way they were described to me, their forces are basically disposable clones anyways. They’d have no qualms about leaving them there to die.”

“Something doesn’t make sense to me.” Vashti said. “If they were after Isla…where is Isla now?”

Eli grimaced.

By the time he’d woken up from his mana drain-induced unconsciousness, Isla was gone. She stayed only long enough to leave a letter behind with Aria for him – one that detailed how angry she was at him, and blaming him for the whole situation. In her eyes, the only reason she’d come anywhere close to being kidnapped was because he’d pushed her to make friends. The fact that he asked her to hide and was forced to rescue her during the escape added humiliation into the mix of feelings.

She asked for time. He reminded himself. Which implies that she’ll come back when she’s ready.

Seeing the look on his face, Aria answered for him. “She’s gone somewhere that she feels safe.”

“I see.” Vashti replied. “And what do you intend to do next?”

“We will do what we do best.” Faelor replied. “Secure the transit between the realms. We will not allow rogue lizardkin to transit through our portals.”

“What about the other realms? Surely if there were members of this church looking for a dragon on Targe Maraz, there are members in the other realms – Earth included.” Vashti said.

Faelor nodded. “I met with the council and they agreed - having rogue lizardkin outside of Serapenthra is a security risk. Each council race is responsible for finding rogue lizardkin in their own realms and dealing with them as their laws see fit. Coldwater is managing the response for Earth.”

“From that far away?” Eli questioned. “They have the forces for that?”

“They’ve had a change in policy since the incident.” Aurora replied, referring to the attack on Coldwater. “They’ve recruited a much larger standing force of guards than the one they used to have. Even so, their forces are going to be spread thinly, but the council was very insistent.”

“If they feel so strongly about it, does that mean they’re sending us backup to clear the more sparsely populated realms too?” Eli asked.

“They… have issued a nonbinding memorandum of support for our cause alongside a sovereignty disclaimer.” Faelor replied somewhat sheepishly.

Eli looked at Aria, who translated the political double-speak. “They want it fixed but they don’t want to do anything outside their own realms.”

Politics.” Zee spat bitterly.

“Figures.” Eli shook his head as he turned back to Vashti. “You focus on hunting them down in Serapenthra. We’ll make sure they have no way out.”

“Very well.” Vashti said before bowing. “I will be in touch once it is done.”

Eli watched her head back to the portal room, escorted by several guards. He turned back to Faelor, who nodded his approval. “I’m not happy this happened, but… you’ve made the best of a bad situation, and handled yourself admirably throughout the investigation on behalf of the council.” He said.

“That’s high praise coming from this big guy.” Morathi teased him with an easy smile.

“What my husband is trying to say is that we are proud of you Eli.” Aurora added.

“We would have high expectations of anyone bold enough to marry our daughter, and you have shown you can exceed them.” Selendis finished as Morathi hugged him tightly.

“Thanks moms.” Eli said, his words muffled by Morathi’s hug.

“Now, you’ve been running yourselves ragged for days since you got home.” Morathi said. “Why don’t you relax for a bit? Maybe get to work on a few grandkids?”

“Mom!” Aria protested, her cheeks going red.

Eli chuckled as she shook her head at Morathi’s antics. He was spared from responding when Aratessa moved forward and took his hand instead. “Actually, I believe Eli was with me when Vashti arrived. We were interrupted during a lovely game of chess – one that I’d like to finish with him.”

___

Just as predicted, since Christmas Aratessa had become an excellent chess player.

She sat with Eli in his office wearing a tight strapless black dress that hugged her curves like a second skin. Her lips were red and glossy, and her ash-white hair cascaded down her shoulders. She uncrossed and recrossed her legs distractingly while leaning forward and moving the rook forward on the board.

“Checkmate.” She said, for the 3rd time that afternoon.

Eli raised one eyebrow and examined the board for a moment before leaning back as well, shaking his head and grinning. “That’s not fair. You make it hard to pay attention to the board when you look like that.”

“It’s just part of the game darling.” She replied, batting her eyes at him with a fake innocent look on her face before bursting into a laugh. “They did warn you about playing games against a dark elf, after all.”

“I’m never going to win a chess game against you, am I?” He asked with an over-the-top dramatic joking sigh. “Want to go easy on me next time?”

“Not unless you want to give up something of equal value for that win.” She said with a smirk.

Eli arched one eyebrow at her as he leaned forward on his chair. “Something of equal value? What did you have in mind?”

She stood, her ebony legs swishing back and forth and her black 4-inch heels click-clacking against the hardwood floors of his office. She turned in front of him, offering him a magnificent view of her curves from behind before settling into his lap and draping an arm around him. “I’ll take it easy on you next time if you give me a kiss.”

“That’s it?” He asked, leaning forward.

His lips met hers, and the two of them melted into an embrace. The smell of her sweet perfume filled his senses as their hands roamed across each other’s bodies – his fingers tracing slowly up her thigh while she unbuttoned the top 2 buttons of his shirt before running her cool fingers across his chest. As the kiss deepened and their tongues met, she began to rake her fingernails across him softly, causing him to groan.

She was grinning when they broke the kiss. “Oh, you like that do you?”

“I do.” He said, smiling back at her. “Aratessa, you never have to bargain with me for a kiss. I really like you, and I’ll kiss you as often as you want.”

Her eyebrows arched. “Truly?”

“Of course. Is that such a surprise?” He asked.

“I sometimes forget that you are not dark elven.” She replied. “Our society is based on bargaining and deals. Always trying to get something from the other. To have someone willing to just give away something is… strange.”

He shrugged in reply. “I don’t keep score in a relationship. I like seeing the people I care about happy. I know I don’t control that happiness, but if there’s something I can do to contribute to it than I’ll do it. Based on the way you’re looking at me though, I take it that’s not how dark elven relationships work?”

She paused for a moment, her red eyes locking onto his. “No, it’s…not. The relationships are different.”

“You’ve mentioned that before, but we’ve never really talked about how they’re different.”

“They’re typically female-led, despite the fact that we have fewer men than women.” She explained “The men give up certain freedoms, and in return their wives take care of them. They rarely have to work or leave the house, and their role is to father and raise the next generation of children. They are loved of course, but it is…different.”

“I understand.” Eli said, nodding. “I need you to know that I’m not looking for that sort of a relationship though. I am an equal with my bond mates, and we support and love each other in our goals in life. I’m not saying I’m against fathering children and raising them, but I also don’t want that to be the only thing I do. ”

“I know that.” She agreed. “I am not looking for that sort of relationship either. Though, I ask that you be patient with me as I work through our…cultural differences. Some things may be deeply ingrained.”

He kissed her softly and pulled her body tighter to him. “Of course I’ll be patient with you – and I ask that you be patient with me as I learn.”

She stared at him for several long moments as she worked through her emotions. Leaning forward she kissed him again, then pulled back. “I see why the people you surround yourself with are so enamoured with you now.”

“Oh?”

“You’re altruistic, but practical. Strong, but sensitive. You unreservedly do what you believe is right and admit when you’re wrong.”

“Don’t forget handsome. And humble too.” He added jokingly.

She laughed at his joke then kissed him again. “And a good sense of humor.”

“I like you Aratessa. I should warn you though, that I don’t really do short-term relationships. If we’re going to go any further than this, it’s going to be a commitment.”

“Oh? You don’t enjoy casual sex?” She asked.

“It’s not about that.” He clarified. “I’m still trying to figure out the limits, but it looks like when I bond with someone it’s a long term thing. Maybe permanent.”

“What does that mean? What exactly does the bond do?”

“Well, there’s some level of magical protection that’s offered by the bond – though admittedly I can’t control how often that’s triggered. Your magical aura will glow gold instead of purple when you cast. You’ll get a power boost, but you probably already knew about that.”

“And all of that is potentially for life?” She asked.

“Yeah.”

She went quiet again, then nodded. “Your harem has already talked to me about what their expectations of me would be if I were to join. I know your rules. You should know that I’d have expectations of you in a relationship as well though.”

Eli nodded. “That’s only fair. What would you expect of me?”

“I am a queen, Eli. A queen-in-exile, but a queen nonetheless. I cannot enter into a long-term committed relationship with a commoner.”

“I am royal blooded.” Eli countered. “And I’m sort of already a noble because of my engagement to Aria, though I guess that’s a bit more ambiguous.”

She held up her hand. “I agree with you. Your various titles and accolades give me enough licence that I could grant you the official title of royal consort.”

“And what would being your royal consort actually entail?” Eli asked.

“You’d be expected to attend court at least semi-regularly and help make decisions which affect the realm – or appoint someone to do so on your behalf. In times of conflict you may be called upon to help protect us as well.”

“Not a problem.” Eli said protectively. “I fought for you to establish your house once. I’m not about to abandon you now.”

“I know.” She said, kissing him on the cheek softly. “And for that I am grateful.”

Eli furrowed his brow for a moment. “Given that I’m already marrying into the Hightower family, is this going to be a conflict of interest?”

“No.” Aratessa clarified. “As our two houses become one, you’ll have to balance the needs of all. There have been political marriages between high elven royalty and dark elven houses before though. I suspect you’ll need staff to help manage all your responsibilities to both positions, but it’s been done in the past.”

“Good thing I’m hiring Minerva.” Eli grinned.

She chuckled. “If it were anyone else trying to poach someone who works for me, I’d make them regret it. You should think about hiring Vespera too though – I know she’d be open to the idea, and if you’re representing my house that means you’ll be representing Purgatory and all its denizens. The demons should have representation alongside the angels.”

“Have you started to hire angels and demons?” Eli questioned.

“Of course. We’re off topic though – there is one more responsibility you’d be expected to perform as my royal consort.”

“What’s that?” Eli asked.

“You’d have to provide me an heir. It wouldn’t have to be immediately – I’m on birth control right now anyways - but eventually I would be expected to continue the family line with you.”

Eli went silent for a few moments, considering the implications of her words. She let him work through his emotions, her hand moving to the back of his neck to massage him gently. Choosing his words very carefully, he locked eyes with her. “I’m open to the idea. I agree with you that it can’t happen right away though, and I want to get to know you a bit better on a personal level first.”

She nodded, pressing her body further back onto him and smiling. “I was hoping you’d say that. I have a proposal for you.”

Eli grinned as he shook his head. “Why am I getting that same feeling I get right before you beat me in chess? Like I’m walking into a trap?”

“Oh don’t be so dramatic.” She said as her grin turned into more of a mischievous one. “Come back with me to Purgatory. Our strike against the Snake is coming in a few days anyways, and we need to plan. Use the time to ‘get to know’ me better, while also becoming comfortable in the role of royal consort. Then we’ll talk again.”

“I’ll need to take some people with me.” He cautioned. “Specifically the ones we’re planning on taking with us on the raid.”

“Of course.” She said, grinding her hips against him seductively. “Do we have a deal?”

If you're enjoying the story so far, please leave a rating and/or a comment! If you're really enjoying it and want to see exclusive artwork for this story as well as read other stories which aren't posted here, check out http://fgsmithauthor.com/

 

10