Chapter 10- At Death’s Door
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This is a short chapter, and In the next, We will go back to Willow's Pov. 

Tendrils of darkness coiled around the lifeless body of the blonde girl as Vivi scooped up Willow. Her face, an emotionless mask, gave away nothing of her inner turmoil. She walked back to Reith, leaving black footprints in her wake.

 

"Let's go," she uttered, and the bird took to the air. For once, Vivi was unsure of their destination. The inn seemed pointless. What they needed was a miracle healer, someone who could save them both. However, the bird, ignorant of Vivi's uncertainty, instinctively flew toward the inn. Vivi didn't stop it. For once, she welcomed the decision to seek counsel from her companions at the inn. They might have suggestions, a glimmer of hope.

 

Vivi's eyes shifted to Willow's missing arm, severed forever. The blood had already begun to clot, rendering any regrowth magic futile. Vivi clenched her jaw, burdened by guilt. It was her fault for letting Willow go alone, for not protecting her.

 

Her gaze then shifted to the blonde girl. Who was she, and what had she gotten herself into? The girl teetered on the precipice of death, just like Willow herself.

 

The bird melded into the shadows as it landed in front of the inn. Vivi approached the entrance, tendrils of darkness parting the door. Gideon stood there, tension etched across his face. He adored Willow as if she were his own daughter, so it was understandable. His condition would worsen once he saw her now.

 

Without a word, Vivi walked past Gideon and laid Willow's limp and bloodied body on the nearest table. 

 

"Who did this?" Gideon growled, his mind consumed by vengeance rather than concern for the girl herself. Vivi's laughter echoed with a cruel edge, mocking her own naivety for expecting him to offer a solution.

 

Before she could utter a word, the small chef came hurtling towards them, her tail swaying in bewildered confusion. "Have you returned, puny human?" Lou asked, leaping onto the table. As she glanced down, her expression turned to one of shock and horror, causing her to fall backward onto her back. "Wha-what! Who did this?" Her voice trembled, resembling that of a frightened child.

 

"That doesn't matter right now," Vivi said coldly, brushing aside the question of blame. "What matters is how we can save her."

 

"Can she even be saved?" Gideon asked, he had seen far too many wars to believe in miracle. But Vivi was a witch, born from miracles, and lived in them. 

 

"Yes, we need to find a miracle healer. Do either of you know of any?" Vivi asked, her voice tinged with desperation.

 

"I don't," 

 

"We shall take her to the fairy realm. They might possess the knowledge we seek," Lou suggested, offering a response that was  most logical and expected.

 

"It will take a month to reach there, even if I travel alone. With two of them, I'm unsure if I can even make it," Vivi confessed, her words laden with doubt. It was then that they noticed the second person lying on another table.

 

"Who is she?" Gideon questioned, 

 

"It does not matter," Vivi snapped impatiently. They were proving to be useless, and she had no time for idle questions.

 

"Gideon, go and fetch the highest-ranking clergy member in this city," she commanded. With a grunt, he left the inn,.

 

"A clergy member should possess knowledge of this kingdom. They may know of a miracle healer," Vivi muttered to herself, attempting to ease her restlessness, or perhaps that of Lou's.

 

"Don't worry, she will be alright," Vivi reassured Lou, patting her head gently, before retreating to her room. In a haunting display, thousands of black tendrils emerged from the floor, rearranging the tables into a makeshift bed, where guests would normally dine.

 

Lou, lacking any understanding, could only sit beside Willow and watch as her breaths grew weaker,.

 

Within a matter of minutes, Gideon returned without causing any commotion. Balanced on his shoulder was a robed man, clutching a large suitcase in his hand. Lou and Vivi had already positioned Willow and the blonde girl on the makeshift bed during his absence.

 

Gently setting the man down, Gideon placed a hand on his shoulder, his massive hand dwarfing the man's face. "You will save them," he stated firmly, his voice leaving no room for disagreement. The man weakly nodded before hurrying, dragging his suitcase, to Willow's side.

 

He examined her with growing horror, and whispered, "She is beyond saving. I'm sorry."

 

"I know," Vivi replied, her voice filled with resignation. "I want to know if there are any miracle healers you are aware of."

 

The man hesitated, his voice trembling. "N... no."

 

"I know there must be," Vivi asserted, her tone sharp and pointed. Somewhere in this corner of the continent, there had to be a miracle healer. It was necessary for the balance. “Where is he?"

 

"I... don't—"

 

"Gideon, the next time he says no, cut off his hand," Vivi interjected, her patience wearing thin. "I don't have much time. If you prefer to suffer a wretched existence in the depths of hell before divulging what you know, then so be it."

 

"In Sertia, Lord Reed's only son," the clergy finally revealed the potential location of a miracle healer.

 

"Thank you. Now tend to their wounds and stitch them up. I will go fetch him," Vivi commanded, determined to bring the miracle healer to their aid.

 

"Sertia is a ten-day journey. There's no way you'll be able to reach him in time to save them," the clergy pleaded, worried about the consequences of involving Lord Reed's young son in this dire situation.

 

"Don't worry, I'll be back within a day," Vivi assured with unwavering confidence as she made her way towards the exit.

 

"Wait, I can go. I can travel faster,"

 

"Do you even know where Sertia is?".

 

"No..." Gideon admitted reluctantly.

 

"How fast can your steed go?".

 

"As fast as the thunder," 

 

"And you can survive...?" Vivi's voice trailed off, expressing doubt.

 

"Only, I can," Gideon stated firmly.

 

Vivienne pondered for a brief moment before walking out. "Call your steed. I will imprint the location on it."

 

"Amber!" Gideon bellowed, and a large bird-like creature, resembling an eagle, emerged from a thunderous boom that reverberated through the yard.

 

"A mythical thunderborn. Who would have guessed?" Vivi remarked, tapping the bird's yellow-feathered head, which crackled with energy akin to real thunder. An insignia was carefully woven onto its head. "With this, it will be able to reach your destination and find its way back to the inn."

 

"I shall return before the sun," Gideon declared with determination as he mounted the majestic bird.

 

"Don't take more lives than necessary," 

 

"I am no savage," Gideon replied with a frown.

 

"I am well aware of your past, Mighty Warlord of Rosaria. However, I do not wish for any incidents to be associated with my or Willow's name," Vivi retorted,

 

"As if you're one to talk, Sixth of the Elder Seat," \

 

"Enough! You should get going instead of wasting time,".

 

With a powerful flap of its wings, the bird ascended into the sky like a bolt of lightning. Moments later, the resounding boom of thunder reached Vivi's ears. "Faster than sound, huh?" she whispered to herself.

 

Inside the inn, the clergy diligently stitched the wound on Willow's severed hand. Her shirt had been removed, revealing claw and bite marks that marred her upper body. Vivi's heart sank at the sight.

1