Chapter 12- Supreme Commander
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Behind the man, four Knights entered, their steps synchronized. They were clad in full-body armor, their hands resting on the swords attached to their hips. They flanked the man on both sides and stood still like statues.

 

The man surveyed the inn, his gaze landing on Brian. His face twitched, perhaps a sign of relief, Willow assumed. Then he locked eyes with her. He exuded strength and determination. Willow could see nothing but conviction in his eyes. Finally, his gaze fell upon Rose. He appeared shocked, but he quickly masked his surprise.

 

His steps resumed, neither toward her nor Brian, but Rose. Willow understood why. He was the supreme commander of the empire she currently inhabited. The princess met his gaze, unruffled, and greeted him with a small bow. "Greetings, Lord Reed," she addressed him.

 

Lord Reed hastened his steps as he approached her. "Princess," he said, offering a half-hearted bow. "How...?" His voice carried astonishment. "We searched everywhere, everywhere. But there was no sign of you, and this is where you have been."  His tone grew stern, as if scolding a child for a mistake.

 

"You certainly did not search everywhere, considering I am standing here," the princess retorted coolly. "And you certainly did not search hard enough. I was in the capital until last month."

 

Reed fell silent for a moment before meeting her gaze. She remained seated, the only one in the room to do so. She had no inclination to rise; after all, this was her inn, and he had entered rudely. Witch and Gideon, who had stood by the counter, had never taken a seat, not for him, of course. The only one who had ever stood was Brian.

 

"Is she the perpetrator behind your disappearance?" Reed threatened, and Willow could see his mana flaring. She was still highly sensitive to it.

 

"No..." the princess replied, her voice tense. "She—"

 

"Are you the perpetrator?!" Reed accused her directly, his gaze piercing.

 

Once again, rage surged within Willow. Her right hand, or what remained of it, burned with agony. No, he didn't have the right to self-righteously make himself important after sitting on his ass doing nothing.

 

Willow slammed her hand on the table as she stood up. "Watch your tone, you ungrateful savage. And you don't get to question me," she clenched her right side, "First, cut off your hand, then slay a forest full of mindless savages just like you while protecting an almost dead person. Then, and Only then can you self-righteously accuse me based on your damn assumptions," Willow shouted, then fell back onto her seat, her chest heaving.

 

However, a coldness akin to what she had experienced in the forest returned. Time seemed to slow down as she watched one of the four Knights dash forward, drawing his sword. The sword came at her like an arrow, aimed directly at her neck. Yet, she felt no panic. There was nothing to fear. From the corner of her eye, she saw Gideon summon a sword and place it against the Knight's neck just as he reached her. The blade stopped just inches away from her throat. Witch, too, observed the unfolding scene with calmness, just like her. They locked eyes for a brief moment. 

 

Mana surged through Willow's hand as she tightly gripped the sword. Why? She wasn't quite sure. But the audacity of someone entering her inn and brandishing a weapon at her didn't sit well. There would be a price to pay, but what would it be? Taking a deep breath, she locked eyes with Reed, dismissing the insignificance of the Knight.

 

In the blink of an eye, it all unfolded.

 

In the next fleeting moment, Willow realized that Gideon's intention had been never to stop, it was to sever the Knight's head. No. 

 

"STOP!!" Willow shouted, and Gideon halted before even making a move. The Knight commander also came to the same realization and dashed forward, but he too froze in his tracks, just like Gideon.

 

"This is my inn, and there will be no blood spilled on this floor, neither by you, Gideon, nor by you, savages," Willow stated coldly, devoid of emotion.

 

Gideon made no further movement, his sword still pressed against the Knight's neck. The Knight, however, attempted to retreat, but Willow's grip on the sword made it difficult. She let it go; there was no need for her to resort to such actions, especially when this display of power wasn't her own but rather that of Gideon and Witch. If they hadn't intervened, the knight and Reed would have likely killed her already. Their presence alone held them back.

 

The Knight took a single step back, just as Willow noticed Lou's absence. Her gaze wandered momentarily and she spotted her outside the counter. In the next instant, Lou threw a blanket right behind the Knight. A doll materialized in front of the Knight, its right hand significantly more muscular and pronounced than the usual ones. Willow chuckled as she realized what was unfolding before her.

 

Reed made another move, to save his savage Knight, from their cute demon lord but Witch swiftly intervened. A sharp blade-like object materialized from the darkness, pressing against Reed's neck. With a mere twitch of her finger, she immobilized him once again, forcing him to witness the unfolding scene.

 

The doll's right hand collided with the Knight's face, unleashing unimaginable power—power that seemed self-destructive. The doll's hand shattered upon impact, but not before delivering a devastating blow that sent the Knight crashing to the floor, his body limp and blood streaming from beneath his helmet. Reed watched the scene unfold without making a single move.

 

The other three Knights appeared ready to retaliate, but they held still.

 

"And look, I made sure not to spill blood on the floor, and he won't die thanks to our miracle healer," Lou declared proudly before giving the fallen Knight's face a kick. She then hopped back to the counter, assuming her rightful place on Willow's lap, resembling a cute mascot. Everyone watched her in silence until Gideon burst into boisterous laughter.

 

"I shall take note of that, Little Chef," he said with pride in his voice.

 

Brian approached the Knight and removed his crushed helmet. Though his face was initially disfigured, a white light enveloped it, and in the blink of an eye, his face returned to normal.

 

"Apologize, General Reed," the princess ordered, her tone firm, yet gentle and soothing to Willow's ears.

 

"I apologize, princess," Reed responded with a bow.

 

"To her," Rose pointed at Willow.

 

Reed's jaw tightened, and Willow could sense his wounded pride in having to admit his mistake to someone of lower status like her. She watched him silently, her expression unwavering.

 

"Has the Morgel got your tongue?" Rose spoke sharply,.

 

"I apologize for my rude behavior earlier," Reed said curtly. Willow nodded, unsure if she was expected to display flattery or gratitude in response.

 

"If it's your boy you came for, then take him and leave. His purpose here is fulfilled," Gideon ordered, taking a seat on the counter.

 

"That was my original intention. But now that I know you are the perpetrator behind the princess's disappearance, I will take her back as well, and you all shall face the consequences," Reed declared. "You will be made an example of. For now, I will take my leave. Let's go, Brian, Princess Rosaline."

 

"They are not the perpetrators—" Willow tried to interject, but before she could finish her sentence, Reed cut her off.

 

"Save it for His Majesty. I am duty-bound to take you back," Reed replied sharply, unwilling to entertain any further discussion.

 

Rose glanced at Willow, and in her eyes, Willow could see her reluctance to leave. There was fear as well—fear of returning, fear of the torment she had endured. Willow vividly remembered her condition. He had been incapable of protecting her. But was he the perpetrator? His appearance seemed too perfect to be a mere coincidence. Yet, he possessed strength, like Gideon and Vivi. Nothing like the masked figure, He was weak. They were not the same.

 

Then there was the Capital, the princess's home. Someone there instilled fear in her. She did not fear him, but rather the prospect of going back. If she did not wish to return, then there was no need to do so.

 

"Rose, help me to my room. I'm feeling tired," Willow requested, "Gideon, would you please show our guests the way outside? They have overstayed their unwelcome visit."

 

Willow could sense Gideon's eagerness for violence. If it meant helping Rose, Unwillingly, she appreciated his willingness. Bile rose in her throat as she realized she was using her friend to assert her desires when she should be pushing him away from it. Witch's piercing gaze fell upon her, likely not expecting her to make this decision. Even Willow herself hadn't anticipated it. However, seeing the fear in Rose's eyes changed everything.

 

Rose hurried to Willow's side, but Reed extended his hand to stop her. Before he could intervene, Gideon grabbed hold of him. "What is the meaning of this?" Reed demanded, showing no particular enthusiasm for the prospect of fighting Gideon.

 

"You appear to be a failure and an incapable man, Lord Reed," Willow spoke with a cold tone. "Find out what happened after the princess's disappearance and why she is here. Then, and only then, will I consider your proposal of letting her leave. Until then, all I see is a rude savage who is incapable of fulfilling his duty." Willow's gaze shifted to her right side. "And I was the one who paid for your inability, Lord Reed."

 

With Rose's support, Willow stood up and left the counter without saying another word. Rose assisted her silently, and Willow felt no inclination to speak either. As they reached the door, Willow turned back one last time.

 

"And Brian, this place is always welcoming to you. Never forget that. If you ever need a place, come to us. Thank you for saving me."

 

Brian nodded dumbly, too young to fully grasp the meaning behind her words. One day, he would understand why she had said those things. But by then, she would be gone, leaving the empire behind as soon as her Inn became capable of traveling.

 

Closing the door behind her, Willow sat at the edge of the bed, feeling lightheaded, similar to the last time coldness took over her, her control over the flow of Mana slipped. She took a deep breath and whispered, "Thank you, Lin."

 

Rose knelt in front of her, tears streaming down her face. "Thank you, my savior," she sobbed. Willow reached out her hand and hugged her tightly, offering what comfort she could.

 

"You're safe," Willow whispered, her voice filled with assurance, though she had no other means to provide it. She held Rose close to her chest. Rose clung to her tightly.

 

"Please forgive me for my rudeness," Rose pleaded, bowing her head. Willow shifted awkwardly, unsure of what else to say.

 

"Rose, come with me. We will travel the world, far away from this kingdom, away from any harm that may come to us by staying here. Do you want that?" Willow asked.

 

Rose nodded, tears still streaming down her face. "I'll follow you anywhere," she whispered.

 

"Then, from today onwards, you're Lin, the maid of Whispering Willow Inn. No longer a princess. We will leave this place far, far behind, and they will not never be able to find us again."

 

"Thank you," Lin whispered before succumbing to unconsciousness on Willow's lap, like a doll with its strings cut off.

 

Willow held her close, realizing that what she truly wanted was to leave this place. She knew that staying here would only pull her into more and more messy situations involving royalty and unknown puppeteers, and that was not the carefree adventure she sought. Lin was what she needed—a companion to clean the Inn in her stead. That's all she needed. Not the princess, and all the burnden that came with it.

Thank you for reading, and don't forget to follow.

1