Chapter 15- Guild Master
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Willow walked right behind Vivienne as they followed the officer to the first floor. The Guild was probably the most luxurious place she had seen after reincarnating into this world, and that was saying something about how humble her life had truly been. She caught a few drifting gazes towards her hand, some sympathetic while others... Willow would rather focus on watching the plastered empty walls of the corridor, except for the weapons covered in blood, framed, and hung on both sides. Some were rusted and breaking, others were completely broken, covered in dust.

 

"They are weapons of B or higher rank adventurers who died while fighting Carnage," the officer explained, noticing her dumbfounded look at them.

 

"Carnage?" Willow questioned, remembering her achievement.

 

"It's a phase when monsters lose their minds and go into a complete frenzy. They always try to rush to the city and bathe it in blood."

 

"Seems eerily familiar to what I have personally endured," Willow mused softly, her words whispered under her breath. She looked at Lin, and she looked uncomfortable, to put it nicely.

 

They still hadn't had a conversation about how she got there and why the masked man had tried to torture her. There had to be a reason beyond his twisted existence. She didn't even know if Lin was perfectly fine right now. She would find out, though, once she had a chance to talk to Vivi. Why had Lin fallen asleep like that? Willow wondered, recalling this morning when Lin had just fallen asleep as if broken. Vivi would know. She told herself that, or they would need to find someone who did.

 

Lost in her own thoughts, Willow barely paid attention to the officer rambling about the history of carnage. Nobody else seemed to be listening either. After walking to the end of the corridor, they arrived at a massive door that clearly held importance. It was made of dark wood, with a single eye etched upon both panels. The officer knocked on it, but it made no sound. He stepped back from the door.

 

Moments passed, and while the witch remained impassive, Willow couldn't hide her confusion. The eye on the door began to glow, and slowly it started opening, emitting a spectrum of lights. The door slid to the side, revealing a passage. It was dark and long, with a door made of light at the other end.

 

"On the other end is the Guild Master's office," the officer said.

 

"Alright," the witch replied as she walked confidently into the darkness, seeming right at home. Willow followed closely behind Vivi.

 

"What is this?" Willow asked, 

"An enchanted passage, a plain name for a plain magic. We're leaving Tistal and arriving at some other corner of Irath," Vivienne explained.

 

"Tistal," Lin mumbled.

 

"The city where our inn is currently located," Willow answered.

 

"Ohh."

 

"Is it a teleportation magic?"

 

"No, it's dimensional magic. We're not in the physical realm, but in a ethereal realm. You could say it's like teleportation magic, but it takes a roundabout way. Think of it as creating a door in two places, cutting the distance between them. Anyway, don't worry about the little details. It's beyond your current understanding," Vivienne said.

 

Willow nodded, not fully grasping what the witch had said. She had a vague understanding, but it wasn't enough to truly comprehend it.

 

"Where does this lead to?" Willow asked.

 

"I don't know."

 

"Then aren't we just walking into a trap?"

 

"Not really. Guild Masters are always neutral and impartial to any and all conflicts. And if they truly wants to hunt you down, nothing on this plane can save you. The Guild holds too much power to bother with underhanded tactics," Vivienne replied.

 

"You certainly hold the Guild Masters in very high regard," Willow commented.

 

"I don't really. I've never met them. But the position itself is held in high regard, so of course, any pitiful person wouldn't hold it," Vivienne answered.

 

They reached the other end of the passage, which was completely white with flowers adorning its border. Vivienne opened the door, and a white light enveloped them. When it cleared, they found themselves in a room.

 

The floor, soft under their feet, showcased a grand tapestry with intricate patterns, its scarlet shades creating a captivating contrast. Adorning the walls were an array of portraits, meticulously framed with glistening gems, some towering in size, nearly matching Willow's height, while others maintained a more customary scale. In the sections devoid of artwork, a bookshelf stretched across half the wall, its backs carefully coordinated with hues complementing the surroundings.

 

The walls themselves boasted exquisite craftsmanship, painted in alternating shades of rich crimson and serene cerulean, embellished with intricate white floral patterns that meandered gracefully. Flanking each side of the room stood two plush, cushioned seats fashioned from polished wood, accentuated with touches of vibrant red.

 

Elegant, white-framed windows adorned the room, offering glimpses of a magnificent landscape beyond. The scenery showcased a surreal panorama of trees in shades of crimson and pink. One window graced each wall, save for the side housing the entrance.

 

Dominating the center of this vast space stood a colossal desk, adorned with a plethora of neatly stacked files. A soothing blue flame emanated from a desk lamp, casting a gentle and tranquil glow. Behind the desk, a grand window extended from the floor to the ceiling, framing a captivating portrait that commanded attention.

Willow's eyes landed on the figure sitting at the desk. Her fiery red hair immediately reminded her of herself—it looked exactly like hers. Even their black eyes matched. The Guild Master sat with her elbow on the desk, her hand folded in front of her face. She wore slim black glasses on her sharp features.

 

"Take a seat, dear adventurers," the Guild Master spoke.

 

They walked up to the desk, and there were three seats in front of her. Vivienne took the left seat, leaving the center seat for Willow. The Guild Master stared at Willow intently. Twice she opened her mouth to say something but stopped herself. She coughed, "Pardon my ungraceful display. I'm Elisa Rand, the current Guild Master of the Adventurers' Guild." Elisa looked at Willow expectantly, waiting for her to introduce herself. It seemed she was particularly interested in Willow, as she hadn't spared the other two a single glance.

 

"I'm Willow, the innkeeper of Whispering Willow Inn," Willow introduced herself.

 

Elisa's face visibly turned disappointed for a brief moment, but she quickly masked it with indifference. She then looked at the other two.

 

"I'm Lin," Lin answered softly.

 

"Lin," the Guild Master repeated, visibly surprised, her mask slipping momentarily.

 

"Y-yes," Lin affirmed.

 

"I had no idea the second princess of the Lilith Empire had a second name," Elisa remarked.

Lin looked as if she had seen a ghost. Willow panicked at the mention of Lin's true identity. If the Guild Master knew about it, she must have had prior information. Panic washed over Willow's mind, but it quickly receded, replaced by a coldness. She could sense mana easily again, but the Guild Master's mana was as unfathomable as Vivienne's. Coldness Vanished as Willow realized her own insignificance. She glanced at Vivienne, hoping for some reassurance, but Vivienne remained impassive and lost in her own thoughts.

 

"That's..." Lin's voice trailed off, and she looked on the verge of passing out. She glanced at Willow.

 

"She no longer has any connection to them. She is just Lin, the maid of my inn," Willow replied, trying to provide some clarity.

 

"Focus. It is useless if the user cannot cast it willingly," the Guild Master interjected.

 

Willow nodded, feeling both confused and panicked.

 

"And do not be alarmed, I am not an ally of the empire or any of its vessels. Your internal quarrels have nothing to do with the Guild," the Guild Master reassured them.

 

Willow nodded again, her mind swirling with questions. Why had they come here? Was it just for the sake of money? Or was there something more? And why was Vivienne lost in her own thoughts? It was something she had never witnessed before.

 

"Was calling her Lin your idea?" the Guild Master asked, fixing Willow with a heavy gaze.

 

"Yes," Willow replied, her voice filled with uncertainty.

 

"Any particular reason?" the Guild Master inquired.

 

"No, it was spontaneous. I just came up with it," Willow replied.

 

"I doubt the esteemed Guild Master has so much time to waste on children's lives. Shall we get to the main topic?" Vivienne interjected in an unfriendly manner, her gaze fixed on the scenery outside.

 

"And you are?" the Guild Master asked, turning her attention to Vivienne.

 

"Vivienne, call me Vivi," she responded.

 

"That name certainly rings a bell. An A-rank adventurer who refuses to take the S-rank examination and has an estimated disaster classification of 'Country Destroyer,'" the Guild Master mused. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

 

"Have you parroted every name in Irath?" Vivienne retorted with annoyance. Willow witnessed a side of Vivienne she hadn't seen before—an uncontrolled display of emotions.

 

"No, of course not. I simply keep up with the problem children and other significant conflicts, and you are the first," the Guild Master replied, looking at Vivienne. She then turned to face Lin. "While your disappearance has significantly hastened the upcoming war."

 

"Ah, of course. I have yet to kill anything close to an A-rank, but my classification is the same as the most vilest of criminals. Makes sense," Vivienne said, a hint of mockery mixed with anger in her voice.

 

"Disaster Class is allotted to everyone, regardless of their background. And, of course, even you know that the classification is wrong—a near-insult for the Witch of the Elder Seat, isn't it?" the Guild Master stated with a knowing smile.

 

"I am not even surprised, considering you're a Guild Master, but I have no connection to the Circle of Elder Seat. If that's why you have called us here, then unfortunately, you'll find nothing,".

 

"I am making no connection, Lady Vivienne. Neither did I expect you here today," the Guild Master replied calmly.

 

"And am I supposed to believe that the Guild Master has so much time on her hands that she is summoning prospective candidates to claim a prize?" Vivienne continued skeptically.

 

"No, I really don't have time for that. You're the only one I have allowed to visit me," 

 

" you knew that Willow was the one to do that," 

 

"Yes," the Guild Master confirmed.

 

"I'm lost. Will you please explain to me why you have called us here? It certainly does not have anything to do with processing money. Your status is far too high for something so mundane," Willow interjected, struggling to comprehend the implied conversation between the Guild Master and Vivienne.

 

"To put it simply, I wanted to meet the person behind the Carnage. And after seeing you and the princess and considering all the circumstances, I have a relatively clear idea of who has done it," 

 

How? Who?" Willow questioned, her confusion growing even more apparent.

 

"On the site of the Carnage, we found a severed hand afflicted with Malefic. Initially, we assumed it was a natural occurrence during the Carnage phase and that someone happened to stumble upon it. In desperation to save themselves, they killed all the monsters. However, after finding your hand and the spell it was afflicted with, we discarded that theory. There was a human conflict after all the monsters were killed. This implies that either two individuals killed all the monsters instead of one, but the manner in which the monsters were killed was similar. So the second theory emerged that one person was hiding while the other was killing the monsters. If that's the case, then why? The majority of officers concluded that the second individual was the one controlling the Carnage. This would also explain the untimeliness of the Carnage phase," the Guild Master explained. “And if there exist an individual who can do that and stay hidden bode very unwell for our future.”

 

"And how does seeing us give you an idea of who it was?" Willow asked, trying to make sense of the situation.

 

"Princess," Elisa stated.

 

"What about her?" Willow inquired.

 

"I have given you enough hints. Connect the remaining dots on your own. Take your time, and if you fail to do so, you can come back again, alone," the Guild Master replied, indicating her desire to have a conversation with Willow without Vivienne's presence. Willow didn't question it, sensing an underlying tension between Vivienne and the Guild Master.

 

"If that's all, should we leave?" Vivienne impatiently interjected.

 

"Yes, but not before receiving the promised enrichment," the Guild Master responded.

 

Elisa opened a drawer and picked up a card, handing it to Willow. As she took it, she felt its cold and heavy weight in her hand. The card was made of metal with a blue sheen, adorned with golden patterns.

 

"This is?" 

 

"Your Class B adventurer's license,"

 

"That's too high of a level for me. I just registered," Willow expressed her suspicion.

 

"The guild's ranking system for classes up to B is based on pure brute strength. And the strongest monster you killed during the Carnage was a class C. So your rank is appropriately increased. The card also contains the money you need. Show it to the guild's cash counter, and they will provide you with the funds," Elisa explained.

 

"I see. Thank you," 

 

"See you soon," Elisa said as they stood from their seats.

 

"Until we meet again," Elisa bid farewell as they both rose from their seats.

 

However, as they took a step towards the door, an alarming sensation coursed through Willow's being. Startled, she turned back, and Lin mirrored her shock. Her eyes fell upon a blood-red lance suspended in mid-air, oozing crimson droplets, shrouded in a swirling black miasma. The lance and the miasma appeared locked in a fierce battle, as if vying to consume each other. Dark tendrils sprouted in all directions, yet strangely, they failed to make contact with anything.

 

Willow glanced at Vivienne, who maintained an air of calm detachment, and then shifted her gaze to Elisa, who remained reclined in her seat.

 

"Did I initiate that spell?" Elisa pondered aloud.

 

"I was the first to cast," Vivienne confirmed.

 

Both of them vanished, and then Vivienne continued to walk as if nothing had happened. Willow slowly followed behind her, her mind racing with questions.

 

"What just happened?" Willow asked, still trying to process what she had witnessed.

 

"We both happened to see how strong we are," Vivienne answered.

 

"And then, like uncivilized savages, we engaged in a spellcasting duel," Willow added.

 

"Savages?" Elisa's astonished voice reached Willow's ears. Turning, she beheld Elisa's perplexed countenance, just before darkness enveloped them all.

1