Chapter 8: The Grandmaster’s Decision
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The St. Catherine Gallery Exhibition Hall, a short walk away from the quad, was an architectural masterpiece reminiscent of old-world charm. Its grandeur - much like the rest of the campus, was a testament to the academy's rich history, with its high vaulted ceilings and intricate mosaics. The quad, in contrast, was a bustling hub of activity, especially today, as first-year students eagerly awaited the association introductions scheduled in the exhibition hall.

Cruz Reyes found himself momentarily lost in thought, leaning against a centuries-old statue in the quad. The laughter and chatter of students around him faded into the background as memories of his life in Kensington came flooding back.

His family's stately home, with its sprawling gardens and traditional decor, was a haven of comfort and luxury. Sunday brunches were a family tradition, with the dining table groaning under the weight of gourmet dishes. Dr. Reyes, Cruz's father, would often share tales from Cromwell Hospital, his eyes lighting up with every recounted surgery. The pride in his voice was evident, but so was the unspoken hope that Cruz would one day join him in the medical field.

His mother, with her sharp legal acumen, would regale them with stories from her latest courtroom victories. Her commanding presence was something Cruz had always admired, even if he didn't wish to tread the same path.

Isabella, his elder sister by six years, was the bridge between Cruz's dreams and their parents' aspirations. Already making a name for herself at Cromwell Hospital, she was the golden child, yet she never let Cruz feel any less. She championed his passion for eSports, often stepping in to mediate between him and their parents. "He has his own journey," she'd say, her faith in Cruz unwavering.

A gust of wind, carrying the scent of freshly mown grass, snapped Cruz back to the present. The weight of his past and the challenges of the academy pressed down on him. But Cruz was not one to be easily swayed. Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself for the upcoming association introductions, little realizing that the day held more surprises than he anticipated.

The quad was alive with anticipation. Groups of students huddled together, discussing strategies, sharing insights, and speculating about the upcoming association introductions. The sun cast long shadows, painting the quad in a warm, golden hue.

Cruz, with his tall stature and confident demeanor, stood out even in the bustling crowd. His reputation as a grandmaster player and scholarship student was well-known, and many students cast curious glances in his direction, whispering among themselves.

As Cruz was lost in thought, contemplating the potential associations he might join, he was approached by a duo of scholarship students. The first, a girl with raven-black hair cascading down her back, had a piercing gaze that seemed to analyze everything. Her posture was upright, exuding an air of authority. The second, a boy with a lean build, had striking blue eyes and a mop of curly blonde hair. His relaxed demeanor contrasted with the girl's intensity.

"Hey," the girl began, extending a hand, "I'm Elara, ADC main. This is Finn," she gestured to the boy beside her, "our jungle."

Finn gave a casual salute, "Pleasure to meet a legend."

ADC and Jungle’, Cruz thought, ‘a strong combination if played right’.

Elara leaned in, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "We've been watching you, Cruz. Your skills in the mid-lane are well known. We're thinking of forming an association. With your skills and our combined expertise, we'd be unstoppable."

Finn chimed in, "We've got our eyes on the top. But we've noticed another group of scholarship students," he subtly pointed towards a trio across the quad, "and they've got the same idea."

The trio in question was an eclectic mix. One had a muscular build, his arms covered in tattoos of mythical creatures. The second was petite, with fiery red hair and a mischievous glint in her eyes. The third, taller than the rest, had a shaved head and a calm, calculating look.

Another offer’, Cruz mused, ‘but these two seem different. More... strategic.

Finn added, "They approached us earlier, but we're keeping our options open. With you on our side, we'd have an edge."

Cruz pondered their proposal. "I've had a few offers," he admitted, thinking back to the other groups who had approached him earlier in the day. "But I'm still weighing my options."

Elara, not one to be easily deterred, pressed on. "Think about it. Together, we could dominate the academy leagues. And with the association introductions coming up, now's the perfect time to team up."

Cruz took a moment, his gaze drifting to the St. Catherine Gallery Exhibition Hall in the distance. The weight of the decision pressed on him. Forming an association wasn't just about teaming up for games; it was about trust, understanding, and shared goals. He thought about his family, his sister's unwavering support, and the expectations that came with his background. Would this decision align with the path he envisioned for himself at Kings eSports Academy?

Elara and Finn, sensing Cruz's need for reflection, gave him a nod of understanding. "Take your time," Elara said, her voice softening. "We'll be around."

As they departed, Cruz found a quiet corner of the quad, leaning against a centuries-old statue. The weight of the decisions ahead pressed on him. The scholarship students, once united in their elite status, were now feeling the pressure of maintaining their positions. The end of the year loomed, and with it, the potential reshuffling of ranks.

Everyone's on edge’, Cruz thought, ‘and alliances are forming.

His mind wandered to the group of three scholarship students Finn had pointed out. They had also approached him earlier, their pitch similar to Elara and Finn's. The academy's competitive spirit was in full swing, and Cruz was a coveted ally.

But among all the scholarship students, one stood out as an enigma: Josh. Cruz remembered watching Josh's games during the exam. He had lost two of them, and his rank was just at Diamond 2. Yet, here he was, among the top ten.

How did he secure a scholarship spot?’ Cruz pondered. ‘There's more to his story.’

His thoughts were interrupted by a commotion nearby. Turning his gaze, he spotted Josh, accompanied by a student he didn't recognize. They were being cornered by two male students. One was of average height, with a lean muscular build, his face adorned with a neatly trimmed beard, and a tattoo peeking out from under his collar. The other was taller, with slicked-back hair and a smirk that seemed permanently etched onto his face.

The atmosphere grew tense as a few students stopped their conversations, their attention drawn to the brewing confrontation.

"What's the matter, scholarship boy?" the bearded one sneered, addressing Josh. "Think you're better than the rest of us?"

Josh, standing tall, responded with a hint of annoyance, "I earned my spot. What's it to you?"

The taller one leaned in, his smirk widening, "How about a little wager? Let's see if you're really worth that scholarship spot."

Leo, sensing the escalating tension, tried to intervene. "Look, we don't want any trouble. We're just here to learn and play, same as everyone else."

But the taller one persisted, his eyes locked onto Josh, "How about a 2v2 in the rift? Half your points on the line."

Josh's eyes flashed with defiance, but he hesitated, glancing at Leo. Leo looked down, clearly conflicted, "I can't, Josh. I've spent most of my points already."

The bearded one laughed, "A scholarship student against two of us seems fair, right?"

Cruz, observing from a distance, felt a mix of emotions. He didn't particularly like confrontations, but he also couldn't stand by and watch. ‘This could be a chance to see what Josh is really made of’, he thought. ‘And maybe, just maybe, I can understand why he's a scholarship student.’

As Josh seemed ready to accept the unfavorable challenge, Cruz stepped forward, drawing all eyes to him. "I'll play," he declared, his voice firm.

0