Chapter 2: Evolution from Cephalopods
48 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Long before humanity was even a twinkle in the eye of the first mammals, our planet was ruled by strange and fearsome creatures. During their 400 million years of glory, they diversified to fill every niche, from voracious predators to placid grazers. However, a global cataclysm almost completely wiped them out, leaving only a humble few of their descendants to keep us company today.

Of course, Ismali was talking about cephalopods.

Cephalopods were one of the first organisms to evolve on Earth, as evidenced by fossils dating back even before the rise of dinosaurs. They exhibited excellent adaptability even in the ancient world. While they may not have "ruled" the planet like the dinosaurs and the mammals that followed, they played a significant role in Earth's evolutionary pathway.

Due to environmental changes such as shifts in oxygen levels and pressure, most ancestral cephalopods were erased, especially during the global cataclysm. However, descendants such as squids, octopuses, and others still exist today.

In Ismali's opinion, the most suitable and necessary animal for evolution would be an aquatic creature from the cephalopod class. Of course, he needed to find more details about this, and he knew just the place where he could find them.

...

After setting up the entire aquarium, Ismali headed towards his father's room, knowing that he would find what he was searching for there.

As he cautiously opened the door, a rush of air carried the long-settled dust particles forward, creating a haze that veiled the room in an almost ethereal ambiance.

However, inside the room, Ismali found exactly what he was looking for—a bookshelf. His father had a great passion for collecting books related to marine life forms, resulting in a substantial collection on the shelves.

Ismali moved forward and began to sift through the books, searching for the one he needed.

In a small corner of the expansive bookshelf mounted on the wall, Ismali spotted the books he was searching for: "The Marine World: A Natural History of Ocean Life" and "Squid Empire: The Rise and Fall of the Cephalopods."

These were books he had read in his childhood. He didn't know where his father had obtained them, but they provided valuable insights into the basic cell structure of marine organisms and their advantages.

Igniting the room's lights, Ismali settled himself at his father's cherished desk, surrounded by the enchanting fragrance of aged pages. Undeterred by the swirling plumes of dust, he delved into the books, their words guiding him through forgotten realms.

Time seemed to melt away as Ismali immersed himself in the captivating narratives. The room bathed in the pure, white glow of the bulb above, casting a soft luminescence on his face. With each turned page, he felt a surge of inspiration, his mind weaving intricate plans for a stable and harmonious ecosystem within his aquarium.

As the final pages were turned, Ismali closed the books with a sense of fulfillment. The room exuded a serene stillness, and he emerged from his father's sanctuary with newfound clarity—a vision etched in his mind, a blueprint for the creation of an extraordinary aquatic world.

...

"The total comes to $40. Would you like a receipt?" the supermarket cashier kindly inquired, completing the scanning process for all of Ismali's carefully chosen items.

After making the payment, Ismali returned to his rental car and set off towards his house, satisfied with acquiring the necessary items for his experiment.

However, he had encountered limitations in the small town of Emerald Valley, prompting him to order several items online to fulfill his requirements.

...

Gazing at the water-filled aquarium resting upon the table before him, Ismali carefully positioned the lifeless octopus and the small fish he had purchased from the nearby supermarket.

His plan was simple yet ambitious. For the first experiment, he aimed to catalyse the evolution of the octopus, guiding it towards the formation of an intelligent civilization, while simultaneously evolving the small fish to serve as a sustainable food source for their aquatic counterparts.

With resolve etched upon his face, Ismali spoke aloud, his words filled with a mixture of excitement and anticipation, "Origin of Evolution, absorb the DNA of the octopus and small fish, and initiate the evolution module within the aquarium."

In the blink of an eye, a dark spiral materialised, its ethereal form resembling a ping pong ball in size, hovering just above the motionless octopus. Emitting an enigmatic and profound black light, akin to the remnants of a celestial entity, the spiral bore an uncanny resemblance to a primordial black hole forged through the cataclysmic collapse of a star. As the spiralling phenomenon materialised, a minuscule droplet of dark grey blood, no larger than a grain of rice, expelled from the octopus's body, propelled with remarkable speed into the heart of the enigmatic vortex.

Simultaneously, the small fish experienced a similar transformation, as their very essence was drawn into the dark spiral, joining the enigmatic dance of evolution.

"DNA absorbed. Analysing. Integrating cells. Destroying bacteria. Preserving..."

A sequence of sounds reverberated through Ismali's mind, leaving him astonished by the unexpected presence of an embedded AI within the glass marble.

"Would you like to name the experiment? If not, it will be stored as CASE-I," the AI prompted.

After thoughtful consideration, Ismali replied, "Let's name it 'The Genesis.'"

"Storing genetic data... Naming the experiment... Please wait... Loading module... Transferring cellular data to the aquarium," the AI informed, executing its designated tasks.

Gradually, the spores began merging with the cells, initiating a profound transformation within the aquatic environment.

"Please input the speed of evolution," the AI requested, seeking further instructions for the micro-world's evolution rate.

Ismali contemplated for a moment before responding, "Accelerate the speed of division and evolution: One day equals one hundred thousand years!"

The initial stage of the world's evolution required rapid progress. It marked the formation of life's embryonic stage, necessitating ample time. Considering his own physical condition, a higher multiplier was essential to ensure his ability to witness the eventual outcomes.

In the air above the aquarium, as Ismali's words hung in the atmosphere, the dark spiral reappeared, resembling a gravitational singularity.

Innumerable minuscule black spheres, barely discernible to the naked eye, descended upon the aquarium like a cascade of dumplings, their presence igniting the beginning of a profound journey.

2