The Village
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On bottom of a hill, nestled within the embrace of wheat fields and verdant forests, lay a tranquil village. Its humble abodes exuded an aura of serenity, seemingly untouched. In the heart of the neighbouring forest, a resounding chorus of laughter and banter echoed through the trees. This merry symphony belonged to a band of men, distinguished by their towering stature, formidable strength, and bulging muscles. Within the depths of the forest, life thrived in abundance. The air bore the unmistakable scent of moss and decaying tree stumps, an earthy perfume that infused the atmosphere with a sense of natural grandeur. In the distance a few animals stared in curiosity at the laughing men.

"Zac! You've finally done it, and here we were starting to think you were incapable," one of the men exclaimed, a playful smirk dancing on his lips.

Saw dust and woodchips was covering the men from top to bottom.

Another man chimed in, his voice brimming with joviality,.
"That wife of yours would have been snatched away by someone else if you hadn't gone and put a child in her, you lucky devil."

Amidst the raucous laughter and playful jabs, every man in the group seemed eager to contribute. I swear, even Justin's wife was eyeing Bella. I still don’t know how you manage to get a woman like her.”

Nods and grins of agreement spread through the group, nobody knew how Zac had managed to woo Bella. So did he, even to this day, he felt like had used all his luck in life.

Zac simply shrugged, a light-hearted smile playing on his lips as he joined in their laughter. It had become a familiar routine ever since he and Bella had come together a year ago. The jests and teasing had become an accepted part of their camaraderie, and Zac had grown accustomed to it.

He didn’t look much different from most of them, light brown eyes, dark blond hair, and a darker tan. Zac kept on working and smiling while the boys were taunting and congratulated him. While the boys taunted and congratulated him, Zac continued to work diligently, his smile unwavering. He was too content in his own happiness to concern himself with their opinions.

As the evening sun began its descent, signalling the end of an exhausting day, Zac's thoughts turned to his pregnant wife. It was time to return to the village and spend precious moments by her side.

With thick ropes, loges were stacked in a bundle of six and knotted together. Each person taking a stack, carrying it above their shoulders. Zac followed suit, hoisting his own stack onto his broad shoulders, and fell in step with the others as they began their journey back home.

From the forest, there was a small trail, leading them back home. They shared a strong camaraderie and possessed a genuine concern for each other.
"Boss, we gotta ask one of them lovely ladies if they'd be willin' to reinforce and expand our trail," one of the men suggested with a smile. In silent agreement, the others nodded, their intentions clear. They understood that such an endeavour would require considerable time and effort without the aid of magic. Nevertheless, their village was still in its early stages, housing only a few hundred people.
The boss, a man whose body was adorned with tattoos from head to toe, let out a gruff chuckle. "And who's gonna foot the bill for that, huh?" he responded, recognizing the importance of time and the value of their collective labor. The combined worth of their efforts for a whole month wouldn't be enough to match what a mage would charge. The few skilled individuals in the village knew their own worth and were unlikely to work for free or at a meager price.

At the village entre, the buildings stood proudly, predominantly crafted from the abundant wood that surrounded the area. However, few houses were made by bricks, constructed by the mages who existed in the village.

As Zac returned home, unburdening himself of the weighty load. He could hear his wife, bursting into laughter.

- No matter the mood you were in, her laughter would bring a smile to any being. From a king to peasant- Zac mused,.

Their house was of a larger size in the village, Zac had asked one of the mages for help. It had cost him a fortune. He wanted a good foundation for his family.

Quietly entering the house, Zac peered around the corner, catching a glimpse of a group  women engaged in vulgar conversation. The living room was well decorated, with a few chairs taken from the kitchen, and a large sofa. His wife’s lovely friend Gwen was using her arm as a tool, for giving a measure for something.

“No way! He’s a monster! He’d kill you with that thing”
Zac knew his wife had some shrewd friends and had heard different stories about the men in town, but gladly avoided these group meeting. You didn’t want to be the center of attention, as they were blood seekers, but for stories.

 Trying to backpedal out of his sneaking position and wait out the blood seekers, one of the lovely ladies shouted.
“ZAC! Glad you’re back, we were about to talk about you”.
Like a rabbit caught in a trap. Zac knew he had to act quick, one wrong move, and he’d be a laughingstock for a month, and it wasn’t the kind of ridicule you’d like to be associated with.

“Hey Gwen and nice to see all, I’m really in a rush, the boys need my help down at training grounds, I ran back to get something. “He lied through his teeth.

With a mischievous glint in her eyes, Gwen persisted, her voice filled with playful insistence.
“Oh, you don’t think they can wait a couple of minutes, aren’t you going to say hi at least to your guest? Come on. We won’t bite!”
-Never! - he thought to himself, he knew if he entered the living room, he might as well serve himself on a silver platter.

I really have to go, but have a great time, I will be back later, I hopefully you guys are here then!” He said while briskly walking outside, a facade of happiness masking his true intent. His way to the training grounds.

Inside the house, more laughter ensued.
“Bella, you have to put some backbone in that man of yours. Specially now that you’re carrying his child, you need a man in the house, not a chicken!”.
Drying off the tears of laughter from her eyes, she looked around then to the lady who said it.

As Bella wiped away tears of laughter, she surveyed the room and locked eyes with the woman who had made the comment. With a warm smile, she replied,
“It’s okay, I love him. He’s goofy and avoids staying in the spotlight like many men do. He’s sweet, and you know me, a lot of men can’t handle how upfront I can be, which he loves.”

He sounds like a wuss”.
Gwen chimed in and gave a friendly slap on Bella’s shoulder while laughing hysterically, almost choking on her desert.  Bella ignored her friend’s remark and took a bite of her pie.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Zac arrived at the entrance of the training grounds, a huge metal double door, stood tall. It was decorated with a majestic beast, with slender horns on top of its head, and slick fur, a noble family emblem. The entire building was surrounded by enchanted logs, it gave the feeling of an arena.

Inside, a large ring with life-sized figures, made of straw and metal. Modest size walls surrounded the ring, which were decorated with weapons and shields. Behind the ring stood three massive buildings. Even though the village was relatively new, the floors were made of bricks.

“Hello, master Valentina are you there? Is anyone here!” Zac raised his voice to make himself known to the master of the grounds. Nobody replied. Clashing sounds of metal could be heard, further inside. Zac followed the sounds.

A voice filled with frustration filled the training ground.  

“Raise your shield, fool! Don’t close your eyes, if you can’t see where your enemy is attacking from, how are you going to protect yourself then!?” Inside was a group of kids sparring with each other, master Valentina sauntered like a predator around them, while shouting commands. Her voice magically shifting direction to reach each one. “No, no, no, why are you backing away, STEP IN! Watch your feet. ” Without ever averting her eyes from the children, she singled out Zac. “ You, jump down”. she commanded, her unwavering focus solely on the training session unfolding before her.

Zac looked around. -Was she talking to me? No way-

Her tone leaving no room for hesitation.
“Are you dumb, I’m talking to you, don’t just stand near the door, grab a sword and enter the pit.” Some kid got their face smashed by a dulled sword.” Fuck! Lift your sword to parry! If I see you do that mistake again, I’ll smash your face in, you got that kid!?” Master Valentina's words echoed with fury.

Zac swallowed unintentionally and entered the room.
 -Master Valentina seems angry. -  Grabbing a simple looking steel sword, and a wooden shield.
He had been using the same sword and shield for months now, Remarkably, they still appeared pristine, untouched by the wear and tear of countless training sessions.

He stood ready for more instruction. Surveying the room, he couldn't help but notice the evidence of the rigorous training. Two of the kids sported swollen eyes, while another kid laid out cold. Zac didn’t want to know what had happened. But knew when people don’t listen to instruction, Valentina would make your life a living hell.

As Zac stood there, his attention fixated on Master Valentina, he found himself in a near-trance-like state. He observed her relentless instruction, her shouts filling the air, yet his gaze remained locked on her face. She was covered in small scars and a large one going from her left cheek to her right, passing over her mouth. Her dark hair, braided behind her goat-like horns, added to her commanding presence. Towering over others, she possessed an imposing stature that seemed to defy any who dared challenge her. Her coal-black eyes lacked any trace of white, just like her pale skin, giving her an intense and captivating gaze. She looked like an instrument of war, never resting even when teaching us villagers, yet everyone knew she was a kind soul. She healed her students, and anyone who got hurt, without a cost.

“What the fuck are you staring at, since when did you have the guts to even look at me, boy”. Master Valentina's sharp words jolted Zac out of his reverie. He immediately realized his mistake, aware that he had crossed a line by allowing his gaze to linger. A sense of dread washed over him as he braced himself for the repercussions of his unintentional transgression.

Ah”, he muttered quietly to himself, Zac knew he fucked up.

 “Oh... You think because your wife is pregnant, I’ll be lenient? “Master Valentina's voice reverberated through the training grounds, its chilling undertone sending a shiver down Zac's spine.  

“You must be dumber than you look. “ The weight of her words left no room for misunderstanding.

”Enough for today kids, today we’re going to have your senior demonstrate how to fight. All of you, outside the ring, now!” Her command hung in the air, prompting a swift response from everyone as they scrambled out of the ring. Zac knew Valentina hated when people stared at her.

Zac jumped down to the ring, where Valentina stood waiting. The pit was only shoulder deep for a tall man. Everyone knew, the moment she put her mind onto something, it was do it, or get forced to.

“Come at me, when you’re ready, boy Valentina taunted, emphasizing the last word. Ignoring her taunts, Zac took a deep breath and exhaling slowly.

-Breath in, breath out, stop thinking of unnecessary thoughts. Shit, trying to remove all the kids’ noise from the surroundings was easier said than done.- he thought.

Zac lunged forward against Valentina with a right diagonal slash, missing her completely. With graceful ease, she effortlessly sidestepped his attack. Zac could see the almost manic grin on her face, as a gut-wrenching punch was all he could feel. Zac was a large, bulky man, but he could feel his feet leave the ground. His instincts urged him to yield and lay down, but his pride as a man refused to allow it, not in front of the kids. Clenching his teeth, he retreated, trying to create small distance between them, as he fought to regain his composure and catch his breath.

"Good, good. Never fall in battle. If you give up, you're dead," Valentina praised” I also told you, rushing like a Buffoon and swinging without a plan will get you killed. It’s a sure way to die first in the battlefield. Now come again”. Retracting her previous praise.

With his breath still recovering from the previous blow, Zac slid his feet slowly as he approached Valentina. The disparity in their skills was stark, and he knew he couldn't match her prowess as a seasoned warrior. He was no warrior, however, that didn’t mean, he wanted to show the kids a shameful fight.
“So, you’re going to do a slow approach, let me give you a hand then” Valentina responded, taking a couple of steps forward, ready to meet his renewed effort.

Adjusting his tactics, Zac raised his shield to protect his left side and stabbed right to cover his other side. “Better, protection is good,” Valentina acknowledged with a commanding voice ” but, never take a strike from an opponent whose overwhelming stronger than you, it's suicide. Evade them if possible".

He felt like a dragon had stomped on his arm, he looked down at his arm, he had lost the sight of her. Her voice cut through the pain “Pain is never an excuse to look the other way, how many times have I told everyone, never lose focus on your enemy.” Zac absorbed her advice, determined to apply it in future encounters.

Zac gritted his teeth, frustrated by his lapse in concentration.
-Shit shit shit, how the hell can she punch so hard!? She’s the size of my wife!-

Zac knew it was easier said than done, he wasn’t a warrior, he was a lumberjack with some occasional encounters at the bar, fighting other village idiots. Despite his towering stature and impressive physical strength, with biceps riveling the size of Valentina’s head.

“Do you want to end it now, or take one last blow, before we call it for a day” Valentina offered

One more…” Zac replied with a heaving breath.

Good endurance is important, now block my second attack." A friendly smile or a grin, Zac was unsure what he saw on her face.  

Zac dropped his shield, no matter how much he tried to lift it, it wouldn't budge.
- Did she break my arm? It's pointless to carry something I can't use.- he thought.
He strained to recall the lessons from previous classes on defending against a stronger enemy. His left arm felt as if fire was burning through it. Zac often wondered how these shields managed to withstand such relentless blows, but he knew that no gear could leave the establishment - a rule Valentina had imposed on everyone entering her training grounds.

"Focus," he whispered to himself, raising the sword with his remaining hand. Valentina approached at a normal pace, her intent clear. "I will hit your right side. Protect it or evade the blow," she declared.

Swinging to his right as swiftly as he could, Zac was sent flying through the ring, crashing into the wall. The pain engulfed him, muffling Valentina's words.

"Why are all my students so foolish?" Valentina's frustration surged, her voice tinged with disappointment. " If you can't evade, then the shield is your best tool! I specifically said to protect or evade, and once again, you made the worst choice. Throwing away your shield and swinging blindly. I had reduced the strength so that you could withstand the punch. If you had chosen to hold the shield with your other arm and stood your ground, your chances of survival would have been higher. Survival is what matters. Everyone loses battles, but never lose the war." Valentina squeezed the bridge of her nose, attempting to ease her exasperation.

- Didn’t she just say, evade if the enemy is stronger just a couple of seconds ago? - the group kids thought

Zac lay on the ground panting, as a small light passed through him, he felt lighter and hot. The pain was mostly gone. The pain was mostly gone, though a slight discomfort lingered. Zac and everyone else here trusted her, they knew she wouldn’t permanently hurt them. She could easily if she wanted decimate everyone and anything.

On the ground, Zac could still feel some pain from where he had been hit.
-It would go away like everything else, a mind over matter, control your perception of pain. Be in charge of your senses and emotions, to become a better warrior- he thought of valentines other lessons.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, Zac tried to collect himself as he stood up and went to rest next to the kids. Zac knew them all, they were children of his friends. Standing there Austin’s kid approached him.

‘Uncle it’s okay, everyone makes mistakes, even if they are dumb mistakes. I don’t, and I’m really strong!’ she said with an innocent grin on her face.

Like her father, Stina rarely held back from what she thought, and Zac liked that about Justin.  He chuckled and replied, “Thank you, Stina, for your wisdom. I’ll try to do less dumb mistakes in the future”  His voice carried a hint of laughter. “Isn’t it time for you to go home? Your father should be home by now. “

“DADS HOME?! The kids exclaimed, their voices filled with excitement, as if a secret spell had been cast. They rushed up to Master Valentina, standing together before her. In unison, they recited,” Power without righteousness is tyranny. Without fear, we have no courage” They bowed respectfully before scattering and running home.

"Don't slam the doors!" Valentina called after them. Feeling the weight of the moment, she took a deep breath, exhaling slowly to regain her composure.

“And what about you, are you going to sit around all day?” Valentina turned her attention to Zac.” You need to practice those swings of yours and use more of that brain, before making more stupid choices. Go Practice with the targets.” She commanded. Zac nodded in understanding and without argument, he left for the larger ring outside.

The sun was still high up in the sky, casting a warm glow over the training grounds. The gentle breeze brushed against Zac's face as he focused on the basics of his swordsmanship. With his right hand on top of the handle, and his left at the bottom. While rotating between soft and hard grips, he swung at the figure target “one! Two! Three!” he shouted.

As the day gradually grew shorter, Zac continued his relentless practice, determined to push himself to the limit.

“One thousand!” endurance and strength, was nothing the lumberjack like himself lacked compared to the other villagers. He and his friends had big hands, and calloused, from working with heavy tools. Valentina, however, remained a unique figure in Zac's mind.

Like a list of chores, Valentina read his faults out loud.
“You need to work on your feet placement. Your swings are too large, you use to much energy for a basic maneuver. You need to change the pattern on how you attack. If your opponents can read your attack pattern and style. You’re then in deep trouble. But that’s enough today, go back home”.

Yes, master Valentina”, bowing respectfully as he prepared to leave. Just as he reached for the door, he heard Valentina's voice calling out to him.
Congratulate your wife from me, and take this as a gift. “she said, tossing a small pouch towards him.

Tell her not to strain herself, she can come back later and train when she’s ready again.”
Zac caught the pouch and bowed in acknowledgment before closing the door behind him.

Returning home, his wife was laying on the floor exercising  

“Hey honey, how were the boys? “. she asked, looking up at Zac with a smile.

“my love? what are you doing. That’s dangerous for the baby.” That's dangerous for the baby," Zac exclaimed, concern evident in his voice.

“I’m being careful, I can’t just sit still after eating all those sweets, I have to stay strong for out child. “ her smile never wavering.

“that doesn’t make any sense, you’re already in good shape, and having a couple of months rest won’t make you that weak.” he retorted.
Looking up at her worried husband, she stood up, and kissed him. “Ok I won’t train alone, I’ll ask Gwen for some help”. she reassured him.  Zac could almost feel Valentina’s punch again, there was a sense of dread. Gwen…

 

2