Ch114- Slaughter?
47 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Kazuki and Mashiro stepped through the Senkaimon gate, returning to the Soul Society, they anticipated the usual calm that greeted them. However, this time, the atmosphere was anything but serene. The guards at the entrance were visibly unsettled, and whispers of shock and confusion permeated the air.

“Did you hear? It’s unbelievable!”

“...slaughtered them all...”

“How could someone do that to the people of Rukongai?”

Kazuki and Mashiro exchanged a quick, concerned glance before they simultaneously decided to dash towards Yoruichi’s location. As the heir to her clan and one of the most informed individuals in the Soul Society, she was the best source to understand the current turmoil.

Arriving at her quarters in no time, they found Yoruichi surrounded by other high-ranking Shinigami, all engaged in heated discussion. The urgency in the air was palpable.

Without waiting, Kazuki spoke up, his voice steady, “Yoruichi, what’s going on?”

Yoruichi turned towards them, her expression serious. “Kazuki, Mashiro. I didn’t expect you back so soon. There’s been an incident.”

Kazuki nodded, “We gathered as much. What happened?”

“There’s been a massacre in one of the districts of Rukongai. A whole section wiped out.” Yoruichi’s tone was grave, and it was clear this incident was of a magnitude rarely seen.

Mashiro’s eyes widened in shock. “But... how? Who would do such a thing?”

Dismissing others, Yoruichi sat them down and said seriously, "Sōya Azashiro." Hearing the name, Mashiro gasped. They still remembered the duel between Azashiro and the former Kenpachi. Sōya Azashiro's powers were terrifying, and he had ruthlessly killed the former Kenpachi to claim the title of the 8th.

Yoruichi, noticing their reactions, sighed heavily, a mix of sorrow and disappointment in her eyes. “Azashiro, once a respected figure and a formidable warrior in our ranks, has...he's lost his way.” Her voice was grave, carrying the weight of the situation.

“He’s amassed an army. Not just any army, but soldiers enhanced and modified through forbidden Kido and illicit modifications. These soldiers...they are something else. Exceptionally powerful, almost unnaturally so, and highly resistant to damage. It’s like...” Yoruichi paused, searching for the right words, “It’s like he’s created monsters out of our own kind.”

Kazuki’s fists clenched tighter, his knuckles turning white as he tried to process the gravity of the situation. He had seen Azashiro in action more than once. The man was powerful, yes, but to think that he would go this far...

“He’s shed the blood of innocent souls, Kazuki, Mashiro. And for what? Power?” Yoruichi’s tone was laced with anger and disbelief. “He’s betrayed everything we stand for. Betrayed all of us.”

She looked away for a moment. When she turned back, her gaze was steady, resolute. “The Gotei 13, they’ve been deployed to stop him, but it’s...it’s been brutal. There’s been so much bloodshed, and the Soul Society...we’re in disarray.”

Kazuki felt a lump forming in his throat, the information too much to take in all at once. But he needed to know, needed to understand. “And the Rukongai? The district that was attacked?”

“It’s gone, Kazuki. Wiped out. Every man, woman, and child.” Yoruichi’s voice was cold.

The room fell silent, the weight of Yoruichi’s words hanging heavy in the air. Mashiro looked down, her hands trembling as she tried to comprehend the magnitude of the loss.

Yoruichi took a deep breath, steadying herself before continuing. “The Central 46 has declared Azashiro a criminal. A traitor to the Soul Society. Orders have been given to apprehend him at all costs. We’re on high alert.”

She looked up, her eyes meeting Kazuki’s. “His actions...they’re unforgivable. He’s betrayed us all, and he will be brought to justice.”

Kazuki was as angry, but something didn't sit well with him. He had always had visions and information appearing in his mind at critical moments, and this time was no different. Something whispered to him that there was more to this story than what was being told. He trusted Yoruichi implicitly; she was his partner, his confidante. But he couldn't shake the feeling that perhaps she had been misled too. He lacked concrete evidence to doubt the narrative presented to him, so he filed away his suspicions for later investigation.

Yoruichi, unaware of the turmoil in Kazuki’s mind, continued her briefing. “Azashiro’s army is like nothing we've ever seen before. They don’t just follow orders; they execute them with a ferocity and precision that's unnatural.” Her voice was steady, but there was a hint of frustration and disbelief as she spoke.

“Do we have any idea where he is now?” Mashiro interrupted, her voice laced with urgency.

“We have some leads,” Yoruichi admitted, “but nothing concrete. He’s been covering his tracks well. Our best bet is to gather information from the field."

Yoruichi then sighed and said, "You two just arrived. You should report first." Acknowledging her directive, Kazuki and Mashiro promptly left her quarters, though not before Kazuki planted a quick, reassuring kiss on Yoruichi, a gesture that conveyed both his gratitude for the information and his concern for her well-being.

Arriving at the 10th Division, the difference in the atmosphere was palpable. The usual vibrancy that filled the air was replaced by a somber mood, with the division members moving with purpose but lacking their typical energy. It was evident that the news of the massacre had spread, affecting everyone on a profound level.

Kazuki noticed the absence of Captain Kengo Shiba, the leader of the division, but chose to proceed to the Lieutenant’s room, where he hoped to find more answers. Upon entering, he was greeted by the sight of Kakyō Shiba, the division’s Lieutenant, and Isshin, both of whom seemed to have been discussing the recent events.

Kakyō, in her calm and collected manner, looked up as the door opened, and her face softened slightly upon seeing Kazuki. Her kind heart and serene smile, even in such tumultuous times, provided a sense of reassurance. Beside her, Isshin’s usually jovial demeanor had taken a back seat, replaced by a more serious expression, though his eyes lit up upon recognizing Kazuki.

----

Read 45(15 chapters for each novel) advanced chapters in my Patreon!

patreon.com/IWriteFanfic2

3