Chapter 1: A Hellish Life of Counter
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Counter-people are those who have been bestowed with extraordinary powers beyond human capacity. It is a rare phenomenon for humans to awaken their power. Awaken State is the term used to describe the state of Counter when they awaken to their power as a result of a dangerous eruption. One fateful day, an enigmatic portal appeared out of nowhere, unleashing a band of fierce and terrifying monster invaders that went by the name of "Deadmans". These creatures were believed to have hailed from a world shrouded in mystery and known only as "NightSide". Ever since that time, humanity has been engaged in a continuous battle against the "Deadmans". The reason behind the coming together of human hating counters is their belief that they are the cause of the continuous human killings by "Deadmans". Children who become aware of their power often face hatred from their families, leading to them being either cast out onto the street or banished to the dangerous "NightSide". To prevent counters from facing the hostility of humans, Alice Night, a counter, and a group of her friends collaborated to establish Enterprise Haven, a city dedicated to their protection. The Counter Administration was subsequently formed to manage the city's affairs. It should be acknowledged that not all humans bear ill-will towards the Counter as there are those who decide to join the Counter Administration and aid them in facing the "Deadmans". By working alongside a researcher, they were able to develop "Anti-Deadmans" weapons and mecha to aid in their mission. Alice, who is passionate about protecting the counter and controlling their power, made the decision to establish a university specifically for this purpose, which she named Enterprise University. From that moment onwards, the battle between humanity and "Deadmans" has been an ongoing war that shows no signs of stopping.-The journal entry of Julia Stone, number 188. 


{Raiden's Home, located in Lunar City.}

"Aya! AYA! Wake up," a voice urgently called out her name. A girl with long pink hair was still lying in her bed as she gradually woke up and opened her bright blue eyes. She emerged from her room, dressed in her light pink tank top and blue PJ shorts, after getting out of bed. Slowly and carefully, she descended the stairs, making her way to the kitchen where she was greeted by the familiar faces of her mother, father, and older brother and sister. In a tone laced with disgust, her mother let out a sigh and asked, "What took you so long to get up for school?" as she watched her daughter struggle to get out of bed.

Aya expressed remorse and asked her mother for forgiveness, saying "Mother, I am deeply sorry."

"I don't want to hear any more excuses, so please make your way to the changing room and put on your uniform." Upon Aya's departure to her room, her mother let out a sigh and shifted her gaze to her husband before speaking. "The realization that our offspring is a demon is something I am struggling to accept."

"Absolutely! I completely agree with your statement! Since she came into the world..." Her father expressed his disgust with a sigh. "as a counter, she going to get all of us killed."

"Dad, due to that reason, I hold a strong feeling of dislike towards her." Kumiko, who is the older sister of Aya, stressed that she was aware of the situation.

Aya's older brother, Yosuke, remained silent and let out a deep sigh.

The pure anger felt by her mother is evident from her growling."The reason for this pain is that child, counters are the scum of the earth ever since she was born as a counter people have been gossiping about us."

As Aya was upstairs, she heard everything that was happening and attempted to hold back her tears. Aya Raiden's birth as a counter led to her parents' disdain. After a few minutes had passed, Aya made her way to the kitchen, dressed in her navy blue sailor uniform. When she arrived, she looked over at her family.

Aya hesitated for a moment and then asked, "Excuse me, do you happen to know what today's date is?"

"No" was Kumiko's uncompromising response and she made it clear that she was not concerned about it.

"It my 15th Birthday." said Aya. "You forgot."

"We don't care if it's your birthday or any other special occasion," the father yelled while he was reading his newspaper. "Just go to school."

With a heavy heart, Aya donned her shoes and headed for the front doors of her home, intending to leave. Nevertheless, her plans were interrupted by the sound of her name being called out loudly from behind her, "AYA!"

She caught sight of her older brother, Yosuke, a male with short black hair, dressed in a black t-shirt and blue jeans, chasing after her with his piercing blue eyes focused on her, as she turned around. "Yosuke, is everything okay?"

Yosuke presented Aya with a sakura hair clip, carefully placing it on her hair and offering a small smile as he said "Happy Birthday Aya."

Aya and Yosuke strolled side by side, with Aya uttering. "Thank you, Yosuke. I happy that you remember."

"Do you think I would forget?" Yosuke posed a question to Aya while affectionately giving her a head pat. "Aya, you should not let others' opinions affect you. Just because you are a counter does not diminish your humanity."

"Yes, I am aware of that," replied Aya calmly. "However, counters are despised due to the 'Deadmans' attacks."

-Yosuke released a heavy breath and then turned his head to look at Aya. "Today is the day when I will be departing."

"Why? Where you going?" asked Aya.

Yosuke heaved a sigh and declared, "I am distancing myself from our dysfunctional family."

"I understand that your decision has been made, and I see where you are coming from." Aya smiled with a gentle expression. "I am willing to offer my support to it."

Yosuke expressed his gratitude towards Aya by saying "Thank you Aya!" and then proceeded to give her a warm hug. He released his grip and a broad smile of happiness appeared on his face. "Please hurry up and go to school, and don't forget to remember what I said."

Aya nods in agreement with a smile on her face, then she starts running to her school. Yosuke waves goodbye to her before he turns around and heads back home to have a serious talk with his so-called family.

Upon arriving at Lunar Academy a few minutes later, Aya is met with stares of disgust and hears people talking about her behind her back as she walks through the campus.

"It her."

"Aya Raiden."

"That repulsive counter."

"Why she even here."

Aya tried to stay strong, reminding herself of what Yosuke had said, and continued walking. However, she was suddenly interrupted as a bucket of water fell on her. Aya was met with laughter after someone exclaimed "Opps! Sorry Aya." She responded with a cold stare, and as if on cue, a spark of lightning shot out from her eyes.

The moment has arrived for everyone to stop laughing and to start feeling the fear that is creeping up. Aya turned herself around and began to walk into the school building.

Aya was being observed by someone mysterious who was standing far away and had a smirk on his face. "I am really looking forward to this, it's going to be so much fun!"


Aya's arrival home after a grueling day of classes was met with a less-than-warm welcome. Her mother, father, and Kumiko were all gathered together, and it was clear that they were all quite upset with her. Aya appeared confused as her mother approached her, and then her mother walked up and delivered a smack to Aya's face. "You cursed devil!"

Aya held her face and asked, "What did I do wrong?"

Kumiko couldn't control her emotions and started crying while yelling, "It's because of you that Yosuke left us. He shared with us that he is departing from our company due to the fact that we treat you badly." Kumiko walks up to Aya and slaps her across the face. "I HATE YOU! I WISH YOU JUST DIE!"

"But I didn't do anything wrong," Aya protested, emphasizing each "but" in her statement. Aya was yelling while she tried to reason with them. "Father please!" Down on her knees, she begged with tears in her eyes.

With a look of disgust on his face, her father grabbed her arms and forcefully pulled her out of the house. "I WISH YOU NEVER BEEN BORN. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE ANYMORE." Upon hearing those words, Aya was filled with shock and disbelief. Frustrated and angry, he yells "Just die, you demon child!" before forcefully slamming the door shut in her face. Aya has made her way out to the street and is now present there.

Aya's frustration and anger were palpable as she shouted out in a loud voice, "Why! WHY! WHY! WHY THIS HAS TO HAPPEN!", causing lightning to spark out from her body. Aya stumbled and fell onto the ground, her body shaking with sobs. "All because I'm a counter."

"Well! It's this interesting sight to sees." A black button-up shirt with a white tie, black pants, black shoes, and black jacket were worn by an older male with long black hair tied in a ponytail. He look at Aya with his green eyes with smirks. "Damn! Humans are really trying these days."

While looking at him, Aya asked, "What do you mean? and Who are you?"

Callum introduced himself by saying, "I'm Callum Rees, from Counter Administration," and smiled at Aya while extending his hand. "Let me tell you about a secure place that exists for counters like you."

"And What is this secure place." asked Aya while grabbing his hand.

Callum directed a smile towards Aya as he spoke to her. "Well, it's called Enterprise Haven, a secure sanctuary for counters like yourself."

1