Chapter 16
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Trigger Warning. This chapter get's a little tough on poor Aili.

 

Aili

 

The whole class was excited. The Academy's big anniversary was just around the corner. Each class was asked to think about what they wanted to offer to celebrate the day. But that wasn't why my classmates almost freaked out. No. The Queen would honor us with her presence on this special day.

And this was really special. After all, this was just a school. Yes, ‘the school’ for all witches and wizards, but also just one school. Our class teacher hardly concealed her own excitement and used the lesson to introduce us to the history of the academy. And with it, to all the royal visits that had ever taken place. This would be the sixth visit of a queen.

Before that, the previous ruler came to the opening, to the first major tournament in sword fighting, when a storm ruined one of the buildings, and to two small anniversaries. This would be the first visit of the new ruler. Queen Julia von Sonnenhof.

Menka and Silja hoped to see Her Highness up close. I doubted this. She was the queen. Presumably, we only would see her from afar. Maybe her husband too? The elf? He often stayed away from larger events. He had once been Her Highness's servant until they found each other romantically. At least that's how my history teacher described it.

My parents didn't like the queen. Mother often called her deceitful, and Father doubted her ability to govern a country, and that she looks like a teenager. Like a child. He couldn't imagine ever being able to take her seriously. As far as I knew, she always did the best she could for the country. What was she like? Private?

During the break, my three friends continued to talk about the royal visit. Menka and Silja had whispered the entire lesson. And now that Maiken had joined, the conversation went into the next round.

"If some students will be allowed to talk with her?" Maiken wondered. "My father was at the military school. At that time, the previous queen granted an audience to the best students. Unfortunately, he wasn't one of them."

"But the previous queen was also a slave driver!", snorted Silja. "Our father belonged to the rebellion!"

Menka nodded eagerly. "And even if there is a possibility, we certainly wouldn't be the lucky ones. None of us are among the best students."

"What about Aili?", Menka immediately objected, looking at me hopefully. "Would you get me an autograph?"

I sighed. "I'm smart, but I'm not a particularly gifted witch."

"But a pretty one!" Nio walked up to us and put an arm over my shoulder. His best friend Arne von Kleedamm accompanied him. A few drops of water danced over his hands. Arne could use manipulative magic and he did so whenever he could. And he was one of the most gifted students. "What are my beauties talking about?" Nio asked. "Can we be part of it?"

"About the Queen. And whether we will see her up close", I enlightened him. If anyone had a chance of an audience, it would probably be Arne...

Nio snickered amusedly. "The queen isn’t interested in the common people, Aili. We will all only see her from afar."

"We are witches! We aren’t the common people", Maiken grumbled.

"Are you sure? If students are allowed near her, then at most the nobles." Nio pressed a kiss on my hair. "It's a queen. But my good Arne here has a chance!" He winked at his friend.

Arne frowned. "She's supposed to be very nice. My parents were once invited to one of the balls. They said that Her Highness had been very polite. And very assertive."

That sounded very different from anything my parents said about her. Which of these was true?

"Well, my beauty!" Nio pulled me close to him. "Let's go for a walk. You can talk more about girl stuff later! I miss my sweetheart!" He winked at me and then looked at Maiken, Menka, and Silja. "You'll lend me the beautiful Aili for a moment, won't you? I'm in withdrawal!"

Menka rolled her eyes. "Withdrawal?"

Nio kissed my hair again and pulled me closer to him. "You'll excuse us?"

"But..." I looked at my friends. But Nio was already leading me away. "But, Nio!"

"Let's spend some time together, without the girls!", he whispered. "They don't mind! The three of them won't get bored. They don't need you."

"What?"

"Not now, of course. I'm just talking about now!" Nio kissed me again. "But I need you now. I missed you! We haven't spoken much to each other in the last few days. I had to do a lot for the lessons! In the third year, we get tons of homework. I didn't have much time for you."

Embarrassed, I nodded. "Fine."

And so I accompanied Nio away from my friends. Maiken shouted something after me. I waved again. We would be able to talk more later. Arne strolled bored after us. Arne was fine, but my friends weren't? I frowned. "Nio? I don't know..." I began to say, but Nio interrupted me.

"I'm really lucky, aren't I, Arne?" He looked at his friend. "I conquered the most beautiful girl in the academy."

"You can't conquer me...", I replied and turned to my friends. The three of them stared after us skeptically until I couldn't see them anymore. Nio led me to one of the secluded gardens. We, therefore, walked along the smaller paths of the academy, which meandered between the houses and smaller gardens.

"Oh, don't be like that!" Nio laughed while Arne caught up with us.

"He didn't conquer you?" Arne winked at me. "What was it then? Nio! Come! Kiss your beautiful conquest!"

"Gladly", Nio agreed.

I shook my head and tried to push him away. "Leave the Nio. That's not funny!"

"Funny?" Nio was much stronger than me. I couldn't escape his grip. He smiled carefreely as if he didn't notice my efforts. "Don't be so embarrassed. We love each other. Isn’t it normal to kiss if you’re in love?"

"But I don't want a kiss now!" I continued to try to free myself. Nio's grip only tightened. "Let me go, Nio. You're acting strange!"

"Me? Strange? No, Aili. You suddenly behave strangely. Don't be like that. Or don't you love me anymore?", he grumbled.

"How mean!", added Arne.

And Nio kissed me. In front of all the other students wandering between the back gardens. He pressed his lips to mine. I tried to turn my head away, but he held me. I felt sick.

"Nio!" I protested against his lips, but he ignored me while Arne cheered him on.

"Don't act like that, sweetie. You're silly!" Nio grumbled, forcibly deepening the kiss. I became rigid with fright. The world started spinning.

"Hey! Stop!" Someone approached us. Nio's lips finally left mine. His attention was now focused on the newcomer. Nio pulled me to him unpleasantly.

"What do you want?", he hissed.

I tried to turn around, but I couldn't. The voice sounded familiar to me. At the same time, I just wanted to get away. "Nio!"

"Let her go!", the voice demanded.

"And what's that to you?", Arne interfered. "Oiss off! Baker!"

Baker? Amaury?

"She isn’t feeling comfortable. Let her go!", the baker repeated,  while I tried again to free myself. I managed to bite Nio in the arm. Enraged, he pushed me away. He said something, but I didn't understand it. The baker caught me. Frightened, I screamed and tried to free myself again.

"All right, I've got you!", he whispered softly, but he wouldn't let me go. "It's good, Aili." It was clearly Amaury's voice. Tears gathered in my eyes and I clung to his clothes. He smelled like flour. Amaury turned his attention to Nio, who was now breathing heavily and loudly. He was furious. But so was Amaury. "That's not how you treat girls. YOU can piss off! Both of you! I'm going to report this to the headmistress!"

"Asshole! This is my girlfriend! This doesn’t concern you?" Nio yelled. Everything happened so fast, I hardly knew, what was going on. Suddenly, Amaury hugged me protectively, I screamed and then... Then Amaury flinched. I saw Nio right in front of us as I glanced behind me for a moment. "Dare and I won't be so nice anymore, baker!" Then he turned and left. Arne followed him. "Just stay with him. Like a wh*re! You're better than that, Aili!" Nio shouted at me. "We'll talk about this later!"

"Is everything alright?" Amaury's embrace became softer. "You're shaking. Come, I'll take you to the nurse. This is your boyfriend? A real ass. Does he ignore your will often? Does he always talk to you like that? Better you break up with him. You deserve better."

"I..." Sobbing, I shook my head. Amaury gently stroked my back.

"Oh, forgive me. That was too much, huh? Come, I'll take you out of here."

I shook my head again. "No. Usually, he's very different", I muttered. "Let me go. Please. Let go. Let me go. I... I..."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yes. Thank you... For your... Help. Let go."

As soon as Amaury let go of me, I ran away.

I ran until I got to my room. I threw myself on my bed and pulled the blanket over my head. What had happened? Why?

Did Nio hit Amaury? His left cheek and left eyes were severely reddened.

Bild

0