Chapter 20
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aili

 

The anniversary celebration would start in about an hour. All students were supposed to gather in the old arena of the academy by then because there the celebration would be opened. In the past, people fought here in competition. Now the arena served mainly as a theatre and auditorium for the academy. But I didn't feel solemn.

Sluggishly, I crept out of the classroom. My class wanted to do magic shows later. And also offer first aid. Most of the preparations had already been made. Since I didn't have enough magic to help with first aid or perform tricks, I wouldn't be part of the spectacle. And I didn't want that either. And I was no longer needed in the preparations. The others were more than enough. I wanted to be alone rather than between all the others. Right now, I didn't want to spend time with my friends either. I would only spoil the solemn mood for them. So I preferred to sneak away.

After the opening speech of the headmistress, the gates of the academy would open to the inhabitants of the capital. And for the non-magical population, my classmates had come up with the magic show.  Non-magical. I was almost one of them. A depressing thought. Why was I here? With my few, useless magic?

I was not interested in the celebration. I felt tired, sad, exhausted. In the last few days, I had hardly spoken to my friends. Even less than in the days before Nio and Oswald had insulted me. I also didn't talk to Candy, who was increasingly worried about me and had informed the school nurse. I didn't care. I didn't want to talk about what had happened. But as soon as I talked to Maiken, Menka, and Silja, they asked exactly that. They were subtle and cautious, but they wanted to know what was wrong with me. And what happened. Whether I needed help. Or comfort. But I just wanted to forget about it.

I left the large school building and made my way to the garden. There I wandered between the rose bushes and tried to enjoy the sight of them. But for me, the beautiful flowers all looked gray today. They couldn't cheer me up. I wanted to go home. Or far away. Forever. I looked around. Nothing was going on here in the garden. Everyone was busy preparing for the celebration.

But then I discovered Amaury. He, too, walked through the garden. He looked around as if he was looking for something or someone. I didn't want to talk to him either, so I rushed behind one of the taller rose bushes to hide behind it. I didn't know how to react to him. When I saw him, I felt ashamed. He had seen a lot and heard a lot. Quickly I almost threw myself on the floor and one other unexpected person.

"Ouch!"

"What?" I shouted.

"Whoops!", cried the stranger. "Ouch!"

I quickly climbed off the girl's lap. "Oh. Excuse me!"

The girl blinked. "Shhh, quiet!", she whispered. "I don't want to be discovered!"

I nodded, confused. "Me neither... But... Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"What? No! I#m fine! But please, be quiet!" She grinned mischievously. Her gray eyes sparkled jokingly. She had pinned-up brown hair and wore a lot of jewelry made of gold and pearls with a beautiful if somewhat dirty, purple dress. A ball gown. But why was it so dirty? Who was she? She didn't seem to be older than sixteen. But she was not a student... The fabric looked expensive. Just like the jewelry...

The girl noticed me staring at her and smiled. "I was run over earlier!", she said softly. "That's when my dress got a little dirty. I was supposed to wear another one, but I like this dress. And besides, I agreed with my brother that we would wear the same in terms of color."

"Oh?" I blinked.

"Be quiet, yes? Please! I'm playing hide and seek!" She winked at me.

"Your Highness!" Suddenly, Amaury stood in front of us. With folded arms, he stared at the girl. Then his gaze wandered to me. "Oh! Hello Aili!"

I, on the other hand, looked at the girl. "Your Highness?"

She pouted. "You're a spoilsport, Amaury! I'm playing hide and seek with my guards right now! And I'm exploring my old school in the process!"

"Hide? Sure. Without telling the guards beforehand!", the baker grumbled.

The queen nodded. "Of course. Otherwise, what's the point?"

"And where is your bodyguard? Uncle Marko? And why are you still sitting in the dirt?"

"Marko is currently busy secretly kissing Finn in Lea's bathroom. Maybe more", Julia announced. "I didn't want to disturb them!"

"Your Highness!", I cried, recovered from my shock, and jumped up. I bowed deeply.

"Amaury? This is your fault!" Her Highness grumbled, pointing at me.

"What?" Amaury sounded annoyed. How did he know the queen? Why was he allowed to rebuke her like that?

The queen stood up and gently stroked my arm. I was startled with fright.

"It’s all right, dear. You don't have to bow", she said softly. "You know my nephew? Amaury?" Then she turned to him. "A friend?"

I straightened up in disbelief and looked at the baker. "You're part of the royal family?", I asked him.

Amaury sighed. "Yes. Queen Julia von Sonnenhof is my aunt. I was looking for her because she  disappeared again." Then he looked at his aunt again. "Everyone is in turmoil because the queen has gone missing! Almost all of them. Uncle Peter suggested that we take a look at all the roofs and trees. Uncle Leo and the four dragons almost fell over with laughter. But they didn't want to help in the search! A few of your guards fear dismissal because they have lost their queen! In a school!"

What?

"Spoilsport! You can let your aunt have a little fun! I don't have it very often!", growled the princess. Then she turned back to me. "Your name is Aili?"

Dragons? The dragons are HERE? I nodded, embarrassed. "Aili Grünwies."

"Oh." She brushed a curl from her forehead. "Babette's daughter?"

I nodded again.

"And you're friends with Amaury?", she asked, unconcernedly hooking up to me. "Would you like to join us for a while? Do you like to climb trees? Roofs?"

"No!" Amaury shook his head with a sigh. "Please don't. Not that. You can't climb trees here! You’re the queen!"

Julia rolled her eyes. "You'd almost think he's the adult and I'm the child!", she whispered to me. "The way he grumbles with me! So? Trees or roofs?" She chuckled softly. Was she just joking? Did she want to tease Amaury? If so, then she succeeded extraordinarily well.

"Aunt Julia!", protested Amaury. "Please!"

Again the queen laughed. Extremely amused. Yes. She just teased him. Unambiguous.

"So...", I mumbled, embarrassed.

But then the next surprise found me. Two soldiers came into the garden. They stared at me with a scowl and noticed the queen next to me in alarm. "Aili Grünwies?", one of them asked. I nodded. The other soldier grabbed me. I cried out in shock.

"Let go of her majesty!", he grumbled. "Aili Grünwies? You are hereby arrested for trafficking in drugs! And for endangering the royal family!"

"What? What drugs?", I asked. I felt sick. I didn't want this man to hold me. It felt wrong. Dirty. "Let me go!"

"What?", cried Amaury.

"I want an immediate explanation. And let go of the child!" Her Majesty's voice now sounded very resolute and implacable. All carelessness had vanished from it.

"Your Majesty?", the soldier asked.

"Let go!", repeated the Queen. "Immediately!" And finally, the soldier let go of me. I wanted to run away, but my legs gave way under me. Amaury rushed forward and caught me. He put me back on my feet and held me protectively in his arms. I was shaking and trying to get away. "Don't, Aili. We'll sort it out!", he muttered softly. At the same time, I felt the gentle hands of the queen in my hair. "What does this mean?", she demanded again. "The girl is shaking all over! What do you allow yourself? Nobody endangered me, you fool! And what's the deal with the accusation of drug trafficking?"

Bild

We're getting close to the end of this little story. Only some chapters are left.

0