Chapter 23
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Syltje's Diary

 

Dear Diary,

I haven't written to you for a long time. Several weeks.

So much happened, I didn't get around to it. No. I even forgot. Maybe I don't need a diary anymore? You've been a good friend to me for a long time. But, perhaps, today is my last entry.

I don't need anyone to keep my secrets anymore. Because now, there are people with whom I can talk about anything without having to fear punishment. Of course, I've always had my siblings, but Camilla and Iker can't keep anything to themselves... Now, there are more good people in my life. It's a wonderful feeling. Can you imagine? No. You're just a book. A kind of imaginary friend that I probably don't need anymore. Still, I thank you, even though you don't exist.

We lived in the castle for a while. The queen played catch and hide and seek with us. She showed me how to climb trees and Alma followed her everywhere. Camilla was glued to Prince Peter. He was less pleased about this at first. In the end, she was allowed to play dress up with his jewelry and clothes. Camilla enjoyed it. We’re feeling better now. We were really spoiled.

Gitte got a necklace from the queen after Her Highness noticed that she liked it. Queen Julia said the color would suit Gitte better and match her pretty eyes. Gitte now wears the necklace every day. I haven't heard her say she thinks she's ugly since. This is good.

Mom and Dad are in jail. We were all interviewed. That was scary. Two lawyers came to ask us questions. All of us except Alma, who showed the lawyers a few of the great chairs in the castle before the interrogations. Alma was very impressed by the chairs. The queen gave her one when we left the castle.

We now live with our grandfather. The Baron. That didn't bring us back our titles, but I don't care. He either gave my parents' former employees work or arranged something for them. Adriana and her mother now work for my grandfather. And it doesn't bother him that Adriana and I... We’re together now! It's perfect! And Grandpa doesn't mind that she's not noble. He likes to invite her and her mother to dinner. Grandma gets along very well with Adriana's mother.

And he bought horses for us children. We are now getting riding lessons. Birger is literally absorbed in it. Only Camilla and Alma are still too small. He bought them small ponies. And first of all, he broke off all engagements! Tomorrow Arion will visit me. And that ONLY as my best friend. He would like to meet Adriana. Adriana is already very excited. He brings Hector with him. Both now live with relatives, as their families were also involved in this drug trafficking. And they, too, are now officially together. Nevertheless, we plan to live in one house one day. As long as Adriana agrees with the plan.

These drugs. They are to blame for my migraines. And Iker is now suffering from it as well. The plants that my parents grew come from the fairy forest. The plant is called yellow corn, or dragon's eye. The plants themselves, as long as the wheat-like grains are not distorted or crushed, are harmless. But if you touch the powder obtained from it unprotected or even inhale it, it can lead to migraines or worse. Fear. Insanity. Mom and Dad claimed they didn't know that. Dad, I believe, but Mom?

The way she looked? I was present at the court hearing. As a spectator. Mom knew. And she didn't care! It has endangered our health! They will get a second process for this. They’ve already been sentenced to ten years in prison. And Grandpa has obtained a ban on contact for us. He assumes that Dad does not have to expect a bad punishment at the second trial. Just Mom. This makes him very sad.

He loves our mother, even when they had quarrels. He doesn't want to say what exactly it was about. I don't want to know either. It must’ve been bad.

This drug is dangerous! Like a lot that comes from the fairy forest! The intoxicating effect of the plant is released only by heat. The powder is used to make tea that tastes sweet. It has a stronger effect than alcohol and lets you see the world in wonderful colors. But you can die from it if you overdose on the powder. The loose powder is a mild poison. It works very slowly unless you eat a lot of it. Very, very much. Growing the plant is strictly prohibited. My migraines will probably stay. And Iker shares this fate. Fortunately, nothing worse seems to have happened to us. Everyone else seems to have stayed healthy.

Grandpa and Grandma's children all live here too. My aunt Nahla is only a year older than me. We get along well. The triplets Gustav, Gundula, and Bernadette are nineteen and they constantly involve Birger in some nonsense. Grandma says that since we have been in the house, it has become all the more cheerful and fun. She missed us.

I’m happy.

At first, it was strange to suddenly live with relatives who I can't remember. But now all is well. We’re loved. We each have our own room. They are only slightly larger than our previous rooms, but that doesn't matter. The largest rooms have Alma and Camilla. They no longer share a playroom. Alma's room constantly looks like a battlefield. She likes to clear out all her toys. And in between stands the beautiful chair that she got from the Queen.

Aili writes to us more often than before. I think she's in love. She talks a lot about a baker named Amaury. The queen's nephew. If she were to marry him at some point, we would be related to the royal family. Would Mom be happy about that? Or annoyed? After Grandpa took us all in, Aili came here for a week. She is not doing well. I'm worried. But she said I shouldn't. She would be fine. But she missed a lot of classes. She will probably have to repeat the school year. She'll be back in a few days. Over the weekend. This is unusual, but we need her with us. And Aili needs us. She was also in the castle for a few days when we lived there.

The headmistress of the academy allowed it. Aili must’ve experienced a lot of bad things. But she doesn't talk about it. She was quieter than usual. And then the whole thing with the drugs... That was bad for all of us. It felt good to have her with us. Grandpa cried when she arrived. He also cried when we came to live with him. We'll never have to go back to our parents.

I'm glad I never have to see them again. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive Mom. She lied in court. She said we children knew everything and wanted to help. Dad then insulted her loudly. He was mostly a good father, even though he knowingly exposed us to drugs. At least he didn't let Mom lie. He protected us in court. Especially Birger and Aili. Mom tried to make them look complicit. She claimed that the two of them had persuaded her to let us all help after we said that we wanted to. I don't understand her. Dad was very angry.  I think their marriage is over.

I don't care! I'm fine! Much better than with Mom and Dad!

Even if it was bad and hurt at the beginning... Sometimes I miss them. That's the last secret you can keep for me.

Goodbye, my dear diary.

0