Bonus 1
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is Aili coming too?" Florentine looked up at Amaury with wide eyes. He ruffled through her soft curls. Florentine had settled in well with her new family. And she was particularly fond of Aili.

"Yes, she's coming, too. With her siblings and everyone else."

"Really?" His little cousin jumped excitedly. "She promised to show me how to make bracelets!"

"How exciting!"

Florentine nodded. "Then I'll make one for Lea, one for Shay, and one for you! And one for Aili!"

They sat in his aunt's garden on two cushions that Amaury had taken with him to the garden. The holidays had arrived. Amaury spent two weeks at Lea and Shay's estate before heading home. His parents and siblings had also come. Just like Benjamin with his family and Chloe. Strictly speaking, the two had no choice, as they were still tied to Lea. But the queen had said in a letter that it looked as if binding spells could soon be broken safely.

That was good. More than just good.

Amaury wanted to bake a cake for Benjamin, Shay, and Chloe as soon as the time came. To celebrate their new freedom.

"Florentine! There are cookies!" Ethan ran to them! "Come! Dad baked chocolate chip cookies! Together with Uncle Shay!"

"Oh!"  The girl jumped up and followed his little brother.

They wanted to picnic and celebrate in the garden. Celebrate for the sake of celebrating. Lea had also invited Baron von Steinhof and his family. They should arrive at any moment. Ethan was looking forward to meeting Camilla. Amaury hoped Florentine, Tiw and he would get along well with the girl. Aili had said that her little sister was very cheeky and stubborn. Hallie liked to play with younger children, so she would probably team up with little Alma. Alma had turned three a few weeks ago. According to Aili, she talked like a waterfall. Nonstop.

"What? No! Don't put the yogurt in the sun!", he heard Benjamin shout. He turned to him and smiled. Tiw diligently helped to put the food outside on the tables set up. He was happy to help. However, he put food in the sun that was not allowed to go there. Like sweet yogurt with cherries. Hallie, on the other hand, sat in the grass with Florentine and Ethan, eating cookies that Ethan had stolen. Ava and Aleidis laid picnic blankets on the lawn, and Adaliz squatted in one of the bushes. She had spotted some insects. Amaury rolled his eyes.

Every now and then someone from the staff came outside and brought something else. But Lea made it a point to lend a hand herself.

Amaury couldn't wait to see Aili again. Although he hadn't seen her only for four days. And he was looking forward to meeting her siblings, her grandparents, her three aunts, and her uncle. However, she always referred to the four as cousins, as they were about the same age.

After Baron von Steinhof and the Baroness took in her siblings, a few weeks after their parents were arrested, Lea had also sent Aili to live with them for a short time. That's what she needed. When she came back to the academy, she felt better.  Before that, Aili had been briefly in the castle, with her siblings. For a weekend.

After she came back that weekend, she was fine for a few days. But then Arne's family showed up and insulted her during the school break. They said Aili was a liar and would ruin her son's life. That's all Amaury knew about the incident. He had been working at the time. But Aili's condition deteriorated rapidly after that, and Lea soon sent her to live with her grandparents for a while. There was no other way. He had missed her terribly.

His girlfriend was not well. Physically, she was healthy, but that was all. Nio, Arne, and their parents had done a lot of damage. Still, Aili smiled and planned her future. She still wanted to study writing spells. Unfortunately, the small university, where this was taught, did not take mortals. And since Aili wanted to study with him, she was currently looking for other, interesting subjects.

He considered studying politics. At the largest university, which was not too far away from Aili's dream university. Perhaps this solution would appeal to her? He didn't want her to give up on her dreams. Aili was clever and writing spells was a difficult subject. Even though she wouldn't be able to cast all spells, as a weak healer, she could still develop spells for any type of magic.

"They're here! They're here!" Tiw ran past him excitedly. "I've seen carriages! Come on, Amaury! You can smooch your girlfriend!"

"Oh! There going to be kisses?" His father came outside with more biscuits. "Then run fast, my boy! Tiw has seen carriages!" Paul winked at him. "There will be kiiiiiiiisses!"

"Oh! How nice!" his mother shouted from a window into the garden.

 

Shaking his head, Amaury got up and walked around the house. Tiw ran past him. His aunt Lea was already standing there waiting for the guests. Tiw tugged at her dark blue skirt, hopping. She petted his fine hair. His little wings fluttered with excitement. And then, finally, several carriages came through the Gate, bringing the extended family with them. The baron, the barons, their four children, and their flock of grandchildren. Baron von Steinhof carried little Alma. The girl looked around excitedly. Another, young girl walked by her grandmother's hand. Camilla. And then several teenagers followed. Among them was Aili. She started to run when she saw Amaury and fell into his arms.

He kissed her hair and hugged her. "Welcome to my aunt’s place!", he whispered to her as Lea greeted the rest of the guests.

"So this is your friend, Aili?" A blond girl, about sixteen years old, approached her. She walked hand in hand with another girl who had dark skin. That had to be Syltje. Together with her girlfriend Adriana. Lea had told him that Syltje brought her girlfriend with her. He had seen her briefly at the trial but hadn't gotten around to introducing himself. The day had been horrible and hectic.

Aili snuggled up to Amaury and turned to face her sister. "Exactly. Jealous?"

"What?" Syltje grinned. "I’m not. I have someone much prettier!"

Adriana then rolled her eyes in amusement and kissed Syltje's cheek. "Glad to meet you, Amaury!", she said.

"Same. I hope you feel comfortable!", he replied.

"Come play!" Tiw ran past him to Camilla. "We can play catch! With Ethan and Florentine! I'm Tiw." He hovered a bit off the ground with fluttering wings.

Camilla nodded, staring fascinated at his wings, and followed him into the garden. Aili smiled and leaned her head against Amaury's chest. He smiled and stroked her hair. "I love you!", he whispered to Aili. She blushed and wrapped her arms tighter around him. Syltje and Adriana whispered to their grandparents and left them to their own devices.

"I love you too!", whispered Aili. She rarely said these words. And she felt uncomfortable kissing, which is why he usually only kissed her hair or cheek. But that was okay. Still, if he were to see Nio again, he'd probably love to gift him a black eye...

"I heard there's a picnic?", Baron von Steinhof's voice thundered through the courtyard.

"Indeed. We are all in the garden. Come with us!", said Lea and led the guests into the garden. Baron von Steinhof was once a friend of the tyrant. But in the war, he stood up to her. He retained his title and apologized to the new queen and Prince Peter. In the end, he became a good friend of the family. And his granddaughter Aili was one of the queen's best friends.

They were now part of the family.

Lea was often amused by this.

Amaury took Aili's hand with satisfaction. Together they went into the garden and celebrated the happiest picnic the garden had ever seen.

 

Bild

0