Chapter 37 – Rei Miyamoto
154 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A month. That is how long has passed since the beginning of the Apocalypse. Only a few survived. I, Miyamoto Rei was one of the lucky ones to survive. That day, Takashi barged in the class and he came looking for me. He pulled us out of the class or we would have been like others, dead.

The Apocalypse was chaotic, all semblance of rules and laws were starting to disappear, and people were slowly going crazy. Those who didn’t kill were going crazy from fear and despair. Those who fought were going crazy in all sorts of different ways.

In the past month, Takagi Estate had come together. They were getting rid of the surrounding zombies. Because of all the drop items, we have been self-sufficient despite losing water and electricity after the EMP. Ever since then, it was like the whole civilization had gone back in time.

Something as simple as washing hand had become a problem, let alone the other stuff. Our group has been one of the most prominent groups in the zombie clearing, so we were privy to a lot of knowledge. We have thousands of people here. We found a handful in the mall, and then her mother, and finally a group of few hundred people in Third Elementary High where Defence Force was evacuating people.

Another thousand or so people came from near the Bridges and Safe Zones since living in the Safe Zones wasn’t convenient. With so much population, the items that the Hunting/Clearing Unit had to provide was increasing every day.

I was happy being away from him, in the Third Elementary School with my mothers. Things were awkward with Takashi and Hisashi. For some reason, they decided without exchanging any words that Hisashi won’t act like my boyfriend and Takashi won’t make any advances. Those dense idiots. If they paid half as much attention to me as they did to each other—they would have noticed what Aurum was making me do.

I hate that guy. He’s always running around at his own pace, not listening to others! Not caring about how others feel! Ugh, just thinking about him makes me so angry! And I can’t even blame him. Ever since the Apocalypse started, we weren’t the only ones who went through that phase. It happened with many others.

From what I heard, levelling up too fast causes people to become emotionally unstable. Some fall into rage. Some committed suicide. Someone thought they could finally fly and jumped off the roof, and then there was their group. It was completely his fault since he was doing that with Kyoko-sensei that they were affected and all their emotions came out like that.

I hate it…ever since that day…I couldn’t refuse him. I hate the fact that he is so good at kissing. Damn it, this is all the fault of levelling up. Hisashi is being such an idiot right now.

And another day passed. My current duties are in the Spear and Shield Unit. Since we are running low on bullets. Rather, we had gone through the more than half of them on the first few days. The rest they reserved for an emergency. Until the Spear and Shield Unit, which was led by my mother and I was the vice-captain of, we had passable weapons, most dropped from zombies, others we fit together. They were the common weapons, not good, not bad.

In the larger group, they found a few doctors and nurses. Though Shizuka-sensei had her healing abilities, which made her the foremost figure even in that group. To my surprise, Shizuka-sense had a bit of brain and was a researcher. She was smart…in Research Field. And here I thought all her nutrients went in that place.

We were good in the Third Elementary when large quantities of zombies started approaching us. All the tension was building up and everyone was ready to explode when reinforcement from Takagi Estate came. He was among them…and as a result…in the confusion and chaos I ended up doing it with him again.

I hate myself.

What the hell…should I do. Things took turn for worse when he became a member of Special Talents Team. There were the Leaders, like Mr and Mrs Takagi, having most followers here and their Position before the fall gave many people security and Defence Forces listened to their orders for now. Then there were Hunting Units. Like Firearms unit, Bow unit, Spear and Shield unit, Sword and Shield unit, and so on.

These so-called Units got Supervised by Special Talents Team. They held as much authority as the Leaders, having achieved it by using their own strength. Like Saeko Busujima. That woman could plough down a horde of zombies with only a sword in her hand. And Aurelius Aurum. That guy is a monster.

I can’t even begin to imagine how one person alone could make the building fall over like that. And the level up he gained from that was obscene. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone told me that he was the strongest in the world. He didn’t go hunt like others. He was on back-up in case of emergency.

That also meant he was above us in terms of Hierarchy. I thought others were going to hate him for it, but he put that fake smile on his face and annoyingly got along with others. But I know what he is truly like. I keep my mother away from him. That bastard wouldn’t stop at anything. He didn’t even let go of his little sister…then again…I don’t blame him for it. I doubt anyone would be able to hold themselves back when it came to her.

It doesn’t matter. That hateful bastard. Why am I even thinking about him. And another day passed.

I woke up in the morning. I found myself on the bed. A privilege for most people. The room with five other people. One of them is my mother. I took the bed near the window, and feeling the warmth of the sun…I can only think about him.

I think I am smiling…it’s the feeling I have been fighting against for so long…I give up. I…can’t deny him.

3