Ch.15 – Aftermath of the raid
148 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I hurry from one corpse to the next, turning them all into more kobolds. The whole process takes longer than I actually want to be here, and soon we find ourselves, ten kobolds, Sammy and I, standing in front of the one who had to give its life. “It would be a waste to leave it here. Sammy, extract the Mana Organ. The others will carry the remains back to our shelter after she has completed her task. In the meantime, spread out, take up scouting positions and be alert at all times. I also want someone to keep an eye on the cave. I don't want to get caught with my pants down. Now move out!”

Countless feet trot off in all directions and a few moments later the commotion has largely died down. Meanwhile, Sammy begins to cut up our fallen brethren. It takes a while, as the physical form has changed considerably from what it once was. I'm starting to get worried, but just as I'm about to call a halt to the action, Sammy stops her butcher-like harvesting and pulls out a ball of flesh. “That should be it, I think, I just need to - “ I grab the Organ from her fingers and place it in my mouth, chewing and swallowing without hesitation. I can feel the increase in power and the bite I received earlier is a little less painful now compared to before.

Now, how am I going to call back my summons without alerting everything around us? I walk over to the kobold watching the entrance and say to him, “Go find your brethren, but do it quickly.” And it hurries off in the direction the others went. Meanwhile, I check my wound by pulling back the sleeve of my shirt. It doesn't look as bad as I first thought, but the bite marks are still clearly visible, and besides the pain I can also feel a slight throbbing in the area around it.

“I have failed you again.” I look up and unfortunately see Sammy's sad face once more, so I pull her closer. “The plan I prepared didn't stand up to the reality of the skirmish. Besides, using magic at close range against a highly dexterous opponent was the mistake that got me this wound in the first place. You and I both have a lot to learn for the future. I'm glad it's only a minor wound with hopefully no lasting side effects, but I doubt this bite will be the end of my career.”

I kiss her and we start to make out. That comforting sensation returns and I can faintly feel it moving from my lips down my chest and into my arm, easing the pain and throbbing. Her hands are hesitant at first but soon begin to explore my back. It is only when we hear a distant rustling that we hastily separate.

One, two, five, ten, good, they have all found their way back to us. “Grab the body and let's go back.” I order the kobolds. A minute later, we are on our way home from our successful raid.

[??? POV]

Hunting wildlife and feeding my companions has always been important to me. I even got a brown bear today, although I had to use my breath attack to get the upper hand. Once I used it and its movement slowed, it was no longer a match for me. I'm hoping there'll be enough to feed everyone. I pick up the bear in my mouth and start to make my way back home. A light breeze hits my face and with it comes the smell of blood. I pick up my pace as fast as I can. I dash over shrubs and bushes, only to come to a sudden halt.

There is blood and clear signs of a battle everywhere. I drop my game and begin to investigate the area. The scents tell me that my brothers fought with another group. A medium-sized pool of blood tells me they were weak creatures, but I wonder why there is so much of my group's blood. Then I find traces of something else, something much stronger than I expected given the strength of the previous examinations. Is this creature the reason why some of my members haven't returned from their patrols so far?

I make my way into our cave, perhaps there is someone here, but my fears are confirmed. Not a single one is left. There is blood even in here, so it must have been a surprise attack, right? My insides begin to boil with rage. I'm going to find whoever did this, and I'm going to tear you apart limb from limb.

[Thanatos’ POV]

We finally get back to our camp and I can relax a bit, although I wasn't too happy about the detour we took to check out a trap the kobolds had set to get food. And it looks like no one followed us. Sammy and ten kobolds are now eagerly awaiting my orders. “Sammy, you make several baits out of the dead kobold and give them to the others. They will place the baits nearby in pairs and lurk for any beasts that come after the meat. If successful, bring back what you have hunted and repeat the process. Any questions?” Everyone remains silent and after a short pause I give the order and they do exactly as I say. A few moments later, I sit down on the log and begin to think.

If I can keep the size of the group of kobolds stable for now, we will have the numerical advantage in pretty much any battle. But if the white wolf comes looking for us, we need to be prepared. I wonder how fast I can increase my power by consuming the Mana Organs. Time seems to fly as the kobolds return several times, and by the time the sun sets, they have managed to capture over a dozen animals. Consuming one organ at a time, the increase is definitely noticeable. I checked the wound after each surge of power, and now it is completely healed. Well, almost, for scar tissue marks the places where the teeth sunk into my flesh.

When they return, I stop each pair of kobolds from going out today, because it's too late and on the other hand Sammy's speed has slowed down from exhaustion. “Let's go to bed for tonight. We don't need to rush things so much.” I say to the others.

Sammy and I crawl under the blanket and she kisses me once. “Is something wrong?” I ask. “No, I'm just tired. Not that I mind working hard, I enjoy working under you. As long as you don't start hitting me.” “Are you still upset about that?” I reply a little surprised. With a “Hmph!” her head rests on my shoulder. “Partly.” She finally answers, but soon falls asleep. I close my eyes as I need to rest too.

Guess who's back? Me, and sadly I wasn't on holiday. I was just busy playing the co-op campaign of Supreme Commanders FAF with a friend. It took so long because it's designed for four players, but we're only two. So yeah, it's difficult and takes a lot of tries.

Ehe

4