Chapter 19
62 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boss Bludo frowns at me as I startle back to myself.

“What’s gotten into you? Hylians sure are strange. Anyway, Yunobo is actually a descendant of the Great Daruk. That’s why that slacker can even use Daruk’s Protection! He uses it to protect himself when we fire him at Rudania. That’s the only way we can chase that blasted thing away. We have no choice because normal cannonballs are no good against it.”

He straightens himself. “Well, that’s enough outta me. Time to go drive off Rudania!”

His back lets out a nasty cricking sound, like bone dice falling on a table. “Arrrgh…”

I ask, concerned, “Are you okay?”

He grumbles at me for being dense. “Owww… Arghhh… I’m afraid I won’t be going anywhere today. I hate to put you on the spot… but can ya please go tell Yunobo that I’m gonna have to cancel for today? He should be at Eldin Bridge.”

I nod, but I have a better idea. I begin making my way to Yunobo, but, en-route, massive magma bombs rain from on high! I sprint for my life, hands over my head like it’ll help.

By the time I reach Yunobo, two Moblins are trying to punch through Daruk’s Protection. They’re having no luck, and I quickly despatch the pair. Yunobo drops the barrier. “Wow! You’re crazy strong, goro! You saved me again!”

He groans, “Still no sign of the Boss…”

I shake my head. “He won’t be coming. The painkillers weren’t enough. But, I want to board Rudania, and I can’t do it without you. If I use the cannons, would you help me?”

Yunobo hems and haws for a few minutes, and then agrees. “I’ll just do what I would do for the Boss anyway. I’ll be the cannonball!”

With his Daruk’s Protection up, Yunobo hops into the cannon, and, taking aim at the raised Bridge of Eldin, I let loose. BOOM!

The bridge falls, and Yunobo bounces, his barrier still undamaged. He reels a little as he steadies himself, giving me a thumbs-up.

As we cross the bridge, I can see the huge shape of Vah Rudania above. It blares out a klaxon cry, and several hatches open, releasing small, hovering drones that fan out and start scanning the area for intruders.

I point at them. “I don’t think we want to be spotted. My guess is, if those things catch us, we’ll be eating magma bombs for dinner. And I’m not a fan of spicy food. How about… I’ll whistle like this-” I whistle, a fluting, warbling bird-cry “-when it’s safe to move up, and like this-” A short, sharp whistle “-when you should stay still?”

Yunobo nods, and I smile. “Okay, stay here for now, I’ll go and clear the way.”

I dart off, heading for the nearest sentry Guardian. It falls with well-aimed arrows, and I follow the path, taking out a second, before finding a cannon. I whistle for Yunobo to join me, and, as before, upon arriving, he shields himself and hops into the cannon. I load my bomb in the firing mechanism, and aim carefully.

BOOM!

Yunobo’s flight is true, and he slams into the Divine Beast’s main body, causing it to blare out an alarm call, and move, preventing us from simply firing again. The next cannon is further up, past three more Guardians and a Moblin, who all end up becoming part of the solution instead of remaining part of the problem. Yunobo takes his position in the new cannon, and I prime it to fire, swivelling the barrel into place.

BOOM!

Vah Rudania wails again, moving to prevent further fire. We still have to chase the damned thing, though, and there are more Guardians in the way!

Despite the greater numbers, we make it through undetected, and I ready the cannon, whistling, and Yunobo loads himself once more.

“Third time’s the charm, aaand…”

BOOM!

This time, Vah Rudania begins emitting great clouds of white smoke, and falls into the crater of Death Mountain, leaving us free to finish the job. I tell Yunobo to wait, paragliding down and activating the Travel Gate. This is my job to finish…

As soon as the Travel Gate lights up, Daruk’s voice comes to me.

Hey, little…guy? Wait, that’s not right. Lady? Yeah, that feels better. Anyway, long time no see. I always knew you’d come back. Y’know, I never stopped believing in you! You’re here to take control of ol’ Rudania back from Ganon, eh?”

I nod. “I need a map, but I think I remember where it is. I’ve been inside before! It’s good to hear your voice again, my friend.”

“Likewise, little lady. Now, get a move on, we can chat once the work is done!”

 

I make my way inside, the darkness within swallowing me. Using a torch, I light my way through, igniting a few braziers with strange blue flames that seem to give off very little heat. Thankfully, the moment I get the controls under my hand, the back of Rudania opens in places, letting light flood the interior.  Now that I can see what I’m doing, and with the experience I’ve gained in ‘freeing Divine Beasts from outside control 101’, it doesn’t take me long to get the five terminals activated. Now for the big one. Making my way to the back of the Divine Beast, I touch the Sheikah Slate to the main control core, and ready myself. Another horrible Ganon-adjacent being forms, just as ugly as the last one, and also on fire. Because why not?

 Daruk calls out, “Watch yourself, little lady. That ugly pain in the crag is Ganon’s handiwork! The thing got the best of me a hundred years ago. Good luck, little lady! Go get ‘im!”

This one is bigger, but much slower. I can see the flaws in its fighting style, and I capitalize on them, staying close and preventing it from landing any hits, thanks to its own inability to angle beneath it. In less than a few moments, it starts switching up its moves. It generates a shield around itself and I can’t touch it. However, it starts creating a massive fireball, and I smirk. It’s drawing in all the air in a powerful cyclone. I just create a bomb and hurl it into the windstream.  Once the bomb is inside the barrier, I detonate it, causing all that force to be contained.

The thing falls, and I beat its ugly face in with the Master Sword. It manages to escape, and I stride after it, ready to create another bomb. However, it proves smart enough to not try that trick again, and instead lights its axe on fire, forcing me to take it apart the old-fashioned way: with arrows to the eye-socket and repeated stabs from the sword that seals the darkness. Done and done!

In the same way as the previous two Ganonites, the Rudanian one goes poof in brilliant magenta light and an ugly puff of smoke. I approach the control core terminal, raising my Sheikah Slate, pressing it to the surface.

“GREAT WORK, LITTLE LADY!”

A bellowing cheer goes up from behind me, and I turn to face the spirit of the Goron Champion.

“Daruk!” I smile, before curtseying.

“I owe you big for this. Because of you, my spirit is finally free! Can’t thank you enough. I feel like I should apologize. I was doing all I could to protect Hyrule when that thing got the best of me. Sorry that me resting with the rubble caused such a mess.”

I shake my head. “No, no apologies needed. I ended up in much the same boat. I tried and failed, but the princess… Zel, she awakened her power! She gave me a second chance, a hundred years from the day Hyrule fell, and now here I am, the real me, LINKA! I’m taking back all the Divine Beasts, I’m turning the tide, and I’m stopping Ganon!”

Daruk chuckles. “The good news is, Rudania is back under OUR control! That means that our century-old Ganon beat-down plan can finally go into effect! I’m gonna take this down the mountain. I’ll have a better shot at Ganon from down there. And then, once you’ve made your way into Hyrule Castle, we’re gonna light that thing up!”

He pumps his fist. “I wanna give you something. It’s a special power of mine called Daruk’s Protection. It’s no good to me now that I’m a spirit… but it might be useful to you. Here it comes!”

He slams his palms together, a ball of crimson light forming between them, and then he fires it at me. Power wells up inside me, and I can feel my body tense. When I pound my fists together, a sphere of glowing amber encases me. An unbreakable shield that will protect me from any blow, no matter how mighty.

Daruk nods. “From this moment on, the power of protection from the depths of my soul… now lives inside you. Good luck, little lady. And give my regards to the princess!”

Just like on-board Vah Ruta, golden light begins to consume me, and I nod. “Thank you, Daruk. But… you knew about me, didn’t you?”

“Heheheh… maybe I did, little lady. Maybe I did. Go on, Linka. I’ll leave the rest to you….”

And, just like that, I’m gone.

By the time I reappear, at the entrance to Goron City, Vah Rudania’s hauled itself out of the crater and taken up a perch near the lip of the fire mountain, the red beam locked on Ganon’s lair in the heart of Hyrule Castle. Daruk’s ready, just like Mipha and Revali. That leaves one more, after I meet with Boss Bludo.

The ancient Boss of the Gorons pounds a fist into the dirt. “Hey! It’s you! Yunobo told me everything. You really are something else, sister. You know that? I can’t believe you conquered Rudania… Colour me impressed. But good grief… did ya really have to do it just when my back pain went away? I was all ready and rarin’ to go at Rudania myself! Oh! Right. I still have to thank you. There’s some treasure in my house. Grab it. Keep it. It’s all yours. It’s a sharp blade that Daruk himself wielded. I’m sure you’ll be able to make good use of it!”

When I open the chest, I draw forth an utterly absurd weapon. Yes, this was Daruk’s alright. It’s so heavy I can barely lift it, never mind swing it. But, I have to admit. It’s definitely powerful… thankfully, the Sheikah Slate takes care of storing it for now. The last leg on my journey is Gerudo Town, where Urbosa came from. The last Divine Beast.

 

 

Six days later, I stand at the Kara Kara Bazaar once again. I smile. It’s only a short hop to Gerudo Town from here, and, considering I’m a vai, a woman, they should let me waltz right in.  Sure enough, I pass through the gates without any issue. Thanks to Zelda’s gift, a Hylian Championess dress, I can simply walk into the bustling heart of the town in the desert, and, with no idea where to start, I head for the palace. Maybe I can speak with the chief? She might know something.

 

The guards allow me into the palace, and I brush a little sand off my clothes, stepping into the cool shade. Inside, sitting leisurely in a throne, sits a young woman. More a girl, really, but, judging from her ornate headcrest, she must indeed be the chief of the Gerudo.

She eyes me languidly.

“Yet another traveller… how did you get in here?” she looks closer. “Oh? It seems you have something interesting there…”

I approach, and the tallest, most muscular Gerudo I’ve ever seen clinks the point of her enormous sword on the ground. In a deep, commanding tone, she announces, “You stand before Lady Riju, chief of the Gerudo! Declare your business, but come no closer!”

 

 

8