Chapter 4 – The Duke in the North
131 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few things have changed.   

  

I now see Rakan nearly every day. We don’t talk every day, but after our meeting last week, my regular seat is now on the third-floor balcony. I arrive at the library early in the morning, but never before Rakan. He is always there first, with a pile of books and a handful of writing materials just like before. What is new is that there is now always a pile of books stacked on the seat across from him. Books on the major families of Lycium, the military history of Lycium, books on etiquette, and how the royal court is structured. In return, I have provided Rakan with a key to a particular room and detailed instructions on what floorboard to pry up. He has assured me he will use the information ‘at the proper time’.   

  

I would not say we are friends, necessarily, or even close. As I said, we do not speak much. But there is a comfort that comes from sharing a secret with someone, and it is a comfort I share with Rakan, one I share happily.  

  

Another change is my new ‘friendship’ with Lord Aster. Unlike Rakan, who feels more ‘real’ to me now, Lord Aster still feels like a two-dimensional cliché completely devoid of personality and sincerity. Despite Amelinne’s attempts to uncover information or rumours about Juke Aster, she has consistently returned with nothing. It is as if the man is hollow, full of nothing but nice words and empty smiles. To makes matters worse, he is a shameless flirt and his presence makes me feel uncomfortable. However, he spends at least two hours with Rakan, and therefore also with me, almost every day going through ‘official palace business’. From where I’m sat, it seems like the two of them do very little. They talk even less than I and Rakan do, and Lord Aster spends most of his time serving me his crappy pick-up lines. But I put up with it, mostly because I have become a fan of the little ghost of a smile I sometimes see on Rakan’s face.   

  

With the changes, however, has also come progress. There are indeed other dukedoms in Lycium. There are four in total, three besides Vedian, but only one has a military presence that can challenge Giddeon’s knights; Riven, the northern dukedom. I am not surprised. In a story that is already full of cliches, of course there is a fearsome northern duke who rules the cold, snowy lands and keeps the kingdom safe from demons. However, it is that last part that will prove difficult. There are indeed demons in Lycium, and they are indeed most common in the northern territories. This means that very little is known about the northern duke and their family, as they spend most of their time and resources keeping the north secure. The family has ventured to the capital just twice in the past five years (according to the book I am currently reading, ‘Royal Visits of Significance’), and only one of those times did they visit the palace. Again, just marvelous.   

  

‘Do either of you happen to know anything about this elusive Duke in the north?’   

  

Due to the recent rain, Rakan and Lord Aster have invaded my previous study haven on the second floor. The room itself is large, but the space I set up is small, spread across a desk originally meant for only two people next to a window in the back corner. I wanted the sun and the breeze without feeling like someone was standing behind me. I am now regretting my decision. Lord Aster promptly took the seat next to me, boxing me in at the window. With a hint of defiance, although you would never know from the emotionless look on Rakan’s face, he pulled up a spare chair opposite me and Lord Aster, leaning more to Lord Aster’s side. It is cramped, causing all three of us to knock knees, something that only Rakan seems ‘unaffected’ by. The rain is already enough to make me agitated, bringing back half-remembered memories that I would definitely rather forget. This is only made worse by Lord Aster’s unfaltering smile. At least Rakan is busy, writing… something, the way he always is. Lord Aster seems to be doing a whole lot of nothing as far as I can tell, giving him plenty of time to live up to his cliché.  

  

Rakan doesn’t even look up from his writing to answer my question. ‘Unfortunately, no. As you said, they are an elusive figure.’  

  

‘Am I not entertaining enough for you, your highness, that you must go off and seek mysterious figures elsewhere?’ I have to physically prevent myself from rolling my eyes at every single word that comes out of Lord Aster’s mouth.  

  

‘It is a shame, Lord Aster, but I do feel an ever-pressing need for more diverting company.’ The thinly veiled insult does not seem to upset him. He just smiles back at me. Thankfully, I have not seen his smirk again since the first time we met. That’s a bonus at least.   

  

I put the book down and look through my notes. Each dukedom I have been able to find information on I have separated into its own pile. There is Vedian ruled by the Rasiel family in the west, Yarian ruled by the Urilynn family in the east, and Sollum ruled by the Petteras family in the south. I have gathered a plethora of information about all three territories and families, with relatives that date back over 500 years, notes on the development of their economies, their major exports, the size of their armies. It is only the north that has yielded practically nothing.   

  

In my collection of notes, there is only one page dedicated to the northern dukedom and it contains exactly four pieces of information. First, the north is cold, and it snows heavily all year round. Second, the first demon in Lycium was found in the north, and they have been concentrated there ever since. Third, the ducal family from the northern territories has left their territory a total of three times in the last decade, twice last year. The fourth little nugget of gold is the family name; Virfain. That’s it. Even my assumption that they have a large military is exactly that, an assumption, based on documents I have read regarding the forces required to suppress demon hoards in other territories. I do not know the name of the duke, how old they are, or their gender. I do not even know if there is a duke, and at this stage, I am beginning to think there isn’t one. How can such a powerful person exist and no one know anything about them?   

  

With no knowledge about the duke, there is no way of me figuring out what they might want in exchange for their hypothetical army. The easiest exchange is one the king has already thought of. Give the royal family an army, we shall give you a piece of the royal family, in other words, me. Not a bad trade when the groom isn’t Giddeon. But not possible if the duke is not a man. I know for a fact that the eastern region, Yarian, is ruled by a woman duke, Adira Urilynn. This means I cannot assume that the northern duke is a man simply because they are a duke. And if they are not a man, in this world that means no wedding ring.   

  

I silently curse the author in my head. Here I am, riffling through books, slaving away in the library trying to uncover a single thing about this story’s characters, when this is something the author should have done from the start. I can only guess that information is so scarce because the author herself didn’t plan anything. If I ever meet her, she’s dead.   

  

‘Have either of you heard any rumours about the northern duke? Rumours about the duke’s gender in particular.’ This time Rakan lowers his quill and looks at me.   

  

‘And pray tell, sister, why would the duke’s gender concern you?’   

  

‘Perhaps I mean to use this duke to break off my current engagement.’ I reply.   

  

‘I don’t see how the duke in the north would help you with that.’ Rakan removes his glasses, rubbing the bridge of his nose with his spare hand.   

  

‘It seems rather obvious the kind of help her highness is hoping for.’ Lord Aster takes Rakan's glasses and carefully wipes the lenses with a cloth before returning them to their owner. They do this often, small, familiar gestures that used to confuse me at first and now I have learnt to ignore. ‘If I have assumed correctly, then let me offer my services up as well.’ And there it is, the smirk. Oh lord, give me strength.   

  

‘You are too kind, Lord Aster,’ sarcasm, and he knows it, ‘but I require something in particular from my partner that I do not believe you possess.’  

  

‘And what could that possibly be?’ Lord Aster rests his head on his hands.  

  

‘An army, or at the very least enough money to buy one.’ The smirk disappears, replaced by a look of what I think is genuine amusement. Rakan continues writing.   

  

‘You know very little about me, your highness, I may be quite a wealthy lord.’ I scoff at him. I don't mean to do it, but it is out before I can stop it.   

  

‘I know everything I care to know about you, Lord Aster.’ At this, Rakan sighs.   

  

‘I do wish you two would stop bickering.’ Lord Aster laughs.   

  

‘We are not bickering. I am merely pointing out that, all things considered, her highness has rather... high expectations.’ He picks up his teacup and takes a sip. I stare at him as he does. The cheeky shit. He just implied that Lyra is not worth an army. She is a princess, for God’s sake! If she is to be sold off at all, she should be sold off for at least an army, if not more. But to insist upon the point now would only come across as arrogant. It would be impossible to explain that I’m not talking about my own face, but Lyra’s. How do I even explain that this face I am currently wearing isn’t mine? And besides, Lyra is beautiful, I’m not fucking blind.   

  

I look at Lord Aster again and he is smiling, a slightly different smile now. It seems he has taken great pride in his small jab at me.   

  

‘Not at all, Lord Aster. My sister is a Venvaris, an army is a very small price to ask for.’ Rakan glances up at me between his writing. ‘Besides, you and I both know she is very beautiful, and anyone would readily agree.’ Rakan’s words surprise me a little, but they warm my heart. I know he is talking about Lyra, not me, but I smile to myself all the same. Lord Aster looks at Rakan and I think I see a flitter of something cross his face.   

  

‘But if you are hoping for the duke’s hand in marriage, I am afraid I still cannot help you. I have never met the person myself, so I know very little about them. I know the current duke is new. They visited the palace last year to swear allegiance to the king. Aside from that, very few people know little else.’ I curse under my breath. That means the king has met the duke, maybe Prince Hayden, but there is no way in hell I am asking either of them.   

  

As Rakan is speaking one of his sleeves begins to slip down his forearm, threatening to fall into his pot of ink. Lord Aster reaches across to roll it up again, as he often does, when Rakan straightens in his seat as if he suddenly remembered something.   

  

‘There is a book that mentions the Virfain family. I’m not sure how recent it is, but it might have information on the current duke as a child at least.’ With those words, Rakan pulls his sleeve from Lord Aster's grasp, rises from his seat and swiftly leaves the room. Lord Aster’s eyes follow him, that same thing flittering across his face again. I frown.   

  

There are a few moments of silence. I return my attention to my notes, not wanting to start a one-on-one conversation with the only person left.   

  

‘You’re not particularly fond of me, are you, your highness?’ Lord Aster breaks the silence. I assume he is making some sort of joke and so do not look up at him as he speaks.   

  

‘I do find you somewhat shallow, but I wouldn’t use the phrase ‘not fond’.’   

  

‘Ra…’ he starts, then stops, then starts again. ‘His Highness has changed a great deal recently.’ I continue to look at my notes, opening a book I finished yesterday to double-check check I didn’t miss any mentions of the Virfain family by accident.   

  

‘Again, I wouldn’t use the word changed. He simply seems to be more...’ I take a second to find the word, a little distracted, ‘comfortable, I’d say.’  

  

‘Do you just disagree with everything I say, your highness?’ His voice sounds different, quieter, and so I finally look up at him. He is not smiling. His eyes are cold, his face a hard mask. I have never seen this man before.   

  

‘You have left me in a difficult spot, Lord Aster. I would disagree with you again, but it seems you are not likely to take it lightly.’ He doesn’t laugh like he usually does. Instead, he is staring at me. His eyes, normally green, seem to have changed colour at some point and are now dark.   

  

‘Rakan has indeed changed quite a bit. I think it would be possible to trace the change back to the day I went to fetch your parasol, your highness.’   

  

‘And what exactly is it you are trying to suggest?’   

  

‘You were alone with the prince for quite some time. You were never very close before. It makes one wonder what it was the two of you spoke about.’ I sit a little straighter in my chair and put down my book. Lord Aster is threatening me. It seems he is under the illusion that I have forced Rakan into our current relationship through blackmail, or coercion. I meet his gaze, careful and steady.   

  

‘What we spoke about is none of your business. And if he has changed, as you say, surely you can see the change is a good thing.’ If he is worried about Rakan, he has nothing to worry about. If anything, Rakan’s relationship with Lord Aster worries me. It is obvious they are close, and I know how Rakan feels, but I was unaware Lord Aster had this side to him. I was already suspicious of their relationship. Now I am convinced that Lord Aster wants something from Rakan and is not a fan of me getting in his way.   

  

‘Hmmm, according to whom?’ His words send a shiver down my spine.  

  

Who is this man? He is meant to be the typical cheerful, overly flirtatious type, not cold and threatening. It seems the author did such little work in preparation for this story that the characters have run off to fulfill their own agendas. I have no idea what agenda it is Lord Aster is trying to fulfill but it makes me uneasy.  

  

Before I can say anything else Rakan returns, a few books under his arm.   

  

‘I have found the book, but I’m not sure how much use it will be.’ He returns to his previous seat, seemingly unaware of the tense atmosphere. As soon as Rakan raises his head, Lord Aster contorts his face into a fairly natural-looking smile. I watch him as he does. I can’t help but be amazed. Rakan places the book on top of one of the many piles on my side of the desk. ‘My advice would be to speak to brother Hayden.’  

  

‘What?’ My surprise forces the word out. Rakan looks a little taken aback. Lord Aster merely smiles. Honestly, I would like nothing more than to punch him in the face.   

  

‘My apologies, I was simply... taken aback.’ I clear my throat.  

  

‘It was merely a suggestion. He was a member of the party that first welcomed the new northern duke.’  

  

‘Ah, I see.’ I fiddle with the quill in my hand, running the feather between my fingers. ‘I remember you telling me the crown prince was away on official business.’ Rakan nods.  

  

‘He is. He returns tomorrow.’   

  

I do not reply, and we all fall into a moment of silence. The rain is still falling. Lord Aster is back to his usual self as if our previous conversation never happened, but he doesn’t look at me once. He simply drinks his tea and rearranges Rakan’s sleeves and his glasses occasionally. I cannot figure him out. What does he want with Rakan? What is their relationship? For some reason, just watching him fills me with dread.   

  

After ten minutes or so have passed, Rakan puts down his quill, folds his hands in his lap, and looks at me.   

  

‘I mentioned brother Hayden as he is closer to the queen than I am.’ Rakan pauses for a moment. ‘Especially recently. If you are looking for the duke’s hand in marriage, you will need to meet them, say at a ball?’   

  

Ah, yes, Rakan is right. Hayden knows the duke and has an in with the queen. He is my best shot at the duke from now on.  

  

‘Smart as ever, brother.’ He nods, and I nod back. Looks like I’ll be meeting the crown prince.  

6