Chapter 13 – The Contract
64 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘I have written a contract with the help of my brother. Please read it, and let me know if there are any amendments you would like me to make.’  

  

It is early in the morning. The sun has barely risen and most of the palace is still asleep. However, there is a crowd of people currently gathered in my drawing room. I am currently nestled into the corner of one of the sofas, with Rakan next to me and Lord Aster next to him. The sofa only really holds two people comfortably, but since Rakan met me in the early hours of the morning to pull together this contract, Lord Aster has refused to be more than a foot away from him. From that alone I am assuming that whatever conversation they had last night went well. When I met Lord Aster this morning, he was his usual overly flirtatious self, but the edge was gone. Something has changed, and he gave his full attention to ensuring this contract was as beneficial for me as possible.   

  

Next to me on my other side, seated, is Sebastian. His face looks worse this morning than it did last night, although there is significantly less swelling. Bruises are like that, often looking far worse than they are, but it is difficult to look at Sebastian and not get emotional. He is currently holding my hand, nervous, still unsettled after yesterday. We have not had a chance to speak one-on-one since yesterday, but there is a new understanding between us that we have both accepted without question. Amelinne is standing behind him, between the two of us, and she is as stoic and silent as always. Next to Sebastian is Evangeline, seated in another armchair angled to face me and Rakan. She looks tired but alert, perhaps confused as to why she is here, understandably so. But if I am to take her with me (and I’ll be damned if I’m leaving her behind), then she should know what she is following me into.   

  

Opposite me is Elyon. Despite the early hour, they look no different than they usually do. There is a wariness about them, most likely caused by the large crowd that seems to have gathered. With the early morning sun pouring through the window like pure gold, Elyon’s eyes are a shining ruby red. Next to the duke is Alvira, someone I was a little shocked to see when I greeted the duke this morning, and behind them is their attendant Reynolds. Definitely a crowd.  

  

‘I was unaware there would be a contract.’  

  

‘If you ask for a contract marriage, you shall receive a contract.’ Rakan’s words are like ice. I place my hand on his knee, trying to tell him with my eyes to chill out a little, but he ignores me and instead stares at Elyon.  

  

‘It was meant more as a figure of speech.’  

  

‘And would you like this marriage to be more of a ‘figure of speech’ also?’  

  

‘Rakan.’ I say his name quietly but with force. He finally looks at me, but the glare in his eyes doesn’t shift at all.  

  

‘I was under the impression the duke made this offer with the intention of protecting both your interests, not simply their own.’  

  

‘Rakan, you are being incredibly rude.’ But the duke simply takes the contract, flicking through the first few pages.  

  

‘It is fine, Lyra. Your brother is right.’  

  

‘You shall address my sister as your highness.’ Rakan is seemingly quiet and unaffected from the outside, but I can tell he is practically seething with rage. Lord Aster takes his hand, and he seems to visibly relax a little. Thank fuck for whatever happened last night.  

  

‘Rakan, it’s fine. I apologize, Elyon, I did not mean to bombard you.’ Rakan looks at me out of the corner of his eye.  

  

‘First name basis, I see?’   

  

‘Well, if Lord Aster can drop the formalities with you, brother, it seems only fair Elyon be entitled to do so with me.’ Rakan blushes slightly and looks away. That’s right, brother. Two can play that game, and I’ve heard Lord Aster call you by your first name multiple times this morning, ever so sweetly might I add. Rakan noticeably deflates a little, leaning into Lord Aster. From the look on his face, Lord Aster seems fine with it.   

  

‘I apologise, Elyon. While my brother is the one who insisted on a written document, I am inclined to agree that it is important we have a mutual understanding before embarking on a permanent or… semi-permanent endeavor.’  

  

‘Ah, yes, semi-permanent…’ From the look on Elyon’s face, it seems they have just discovered the clause about divorce. Rakan insisted on that clause, and I had no desire to fight him on it. If I ask for a divorce, I shall be given it and the contract will be immediately nullified. Of course, if this happens then I may no longer use Elyon’s name or power to protect myself or advance my interests. I will be cut off from the Virfain name. And the clause is also available to Elyon. If they should ask for a divorce, it will be granted immediately. This will not be swapping one cage for another. This will allow me to be free if and when I desire.   

  

‘Ah, I understand why we have an audience this morning.’ Elyon places the contract on the table and takes a sip of their tea. ‘You would like to bring everyone here to the Virfain residence.’  

  

This is a given for most of the people here. Although I haven't explicitly spoken to Amelinne and Sebastian about this, their association with me over the past two months would make it difficult for me to leave them behind. I have no doubt Sebastian will follow me, and after my conversation last night with Amelinne, it seems she is unlikely to have any qualms either. Rakan cannot be left behind at any cost. The entire purpose of this contract marriage is to keep my brother safe; leaving him here would make this entire meeting rather pointless. Judging from the way the two are behaving, it seems like Rakan and Lord Aster are now a package deal, although I'm pretty sure that would've been the case even without whatever happened last night.  

  

The only somewhat unjustified addition is Evangeline. She is looking at me now, her eyes equally jewel-like in the morning sun, a look of confusion marring her features.  

  

'Your highness...'  

  

'I do not intend to force you, Miss. Whitecrest. You have been in the palace for a while now and I do not wish to keep you from your home. But you are here so I can make you aware of your options. You may return home, or you may follow me to the Virfain residence when I marry. If neither of those options are suitable, I shall try my very best to create an alternative. It is imperative, however, that you do not stay in the palace if neither I nor the duke will be here.' I take a moment, take a breath, aware that there is a large crowd of people in this room. 'Just know that you are needed, and for that you will be protected.'  

  

Evangeline looks at me for what feels like a very long time. The room is quiet despite the amount of people here. She doesn't fidget, she doesn't look uncomfortable. She does, however, look at my hand. Sebastian is still holding it, but I gently place his hand back in his lap before handing my own to Evangeline. I don't quite understand, but this is not the first time she has asked to hold my hand. It has become somewhat of a habit that when I ask a question, she asks for my hand in return before giving an answer.  

  

After a moment, she turns and looks at Elyon. Without a moment's hesitation, Elyon gives their hand to Evangeline. It is a little strange, with everyone sitting the way they are, but after a few minutes, Evangeline lets go of both our hands and nods.  

  

'I would like to join her highness' party.' I smile. It's like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Leaving Evangeline here was also not really an option, but after forcing Amelinne the way I did, I didn't want to do the same to Evangeline. It was necessary that the choice was hers to make.  

  

'I am very happy to hear that, Miss Whitecrest.' I turn my attention to Elyon. 'Although this is a matter of great urgency, please do not feel the need to sign the contract immediately. Please read it over, and if need be, add your own clauses...'  

  

'No need.' And before I can stop them, Elyon is wetting the nip of their quill and sighing the contract.  

  

'Elyon, wait!' They place the contract in a single pile on the table and push it back across to me.  

  

'As you have said, this is an urgent matter. I cannot see you adding anything that would damage me or house Virfain into such a contract.' I look at Elyon, baffled.  

  

'How can you be so sure?' Then I shake my head. 'I would not recommend such blind trust.'  

  

'You wish to begin this marriage with me questioning your every word?' Elyon furrows their brow slightly, but I think they are trying to be funny. It's strange.  

  

'I wish to begin this marriage with a strong foundation we can both trust.'  

  

'And trust you shall have.' I am still confused, but I do not try to fight Elyon anymore. I look at Rakan, who seems satisfied with the duke's unquestioning acceptance of what is essentially his contract. There are a handful of clauses in there around alimony that I assumed Elyon would challenge, but it seems that won't be the case.  

  

'With the contract sorted,' Rakan reaches out and takes the papers, tucking them into a folder he has prepared, 'we can move on to planning the wedding.'  

  

'No need.' Elyon repeats the same words. This time it's not just me who looks shocked. Rakan is also having difficulty understanding exactly what Elyon means.   

  

'By 'no need', are you suggesting there will not be a wedding after all?' Elyon shakes their head.   

'No, your highness. I was referring instead to the planning of a wedding. The matter is urgent, as Lyra has already pointed out. So, I bought someone from the north who will be able to officiate our marriage without the fanfare.'  

   

'Are you proposing that my sister does not have a formal wedding ceremony at all?' This suggestion seems to have made Rakan angrier than any other. Personally, I am not concerned about having a wedding ceremony. Even a small one with just the people in this room present would be a waste of time. It would be better to have Elyon and I sign some papers, retire to their estate, and then hand in the official royal documentation before the king can object and block me from seeing Elyon.  

  

All aristocratic marriages must be approved by the king, but a lack of approval doesn't mean the marriage isn't legal. The king's acceptance is more of a social affair, and those who do not receive it are ostracised from society in the capital. For a noble, this can be a sort of death, but for me, it hardly matters at all. But I know why Rakan is upset. Having no wedding ceremony, not even a small hurried one, is scandalous. It encourages rumours of a particular sort, and normally rumours of an illegitimate pregnancy. It would shame me, and most likely prevent me from being part of society and from being able to easily marry again. In my mind, this is a bonus. Giddeon will find it very difficult to marry an individual whose reputation is stained so darkly. Not even Lyra's previously violent behaviour compares to the stain this will leave on her reputation.  

  

I take Rakan's hand and give it a quick squeeze.   

   

'A ceremony of any kind is ill-advised, brother.'  

   

'But it is unheard of for a royal to marry under such circumstances. You will be ridiculed!' I smile at him, grateful for his concern even if it is misplaced.   

   

'Perhaps a stained reputation will help me, in its way. I plan to make it as difficult as possible for Duke Rasiel to ever marry me.' Rakan shakes his head, his voice deceptively level despite his clear disapproval.   

  

'People will shun you, sister.'   

   

'They already shun me.' Rakan is silent at this. It has been a long time since Lyra's name has commanded any kind of respect. In fact, from my knowledge of the original webcomic and having lived in this world for several months, it is likely that Lyra has never received any respect from anyone.   

  

'Your highness, if I may...?' Evangeline's words shock me, and I think most other people in the room. Although she is not quiet when in smaller settings, the more people present the quieter she becomes.   

   

'Yes, Miss. Whitecrest?' She takes a moment to collect herself before speaking in a clear voice.  

   

'It is my understanding that a formal wedding requires two things to be deemed legitimate, an official ceremony and the witness of two noble families. It would not be the king's approval, but it would mean the wedding is not so scandalous.' I look towards Rakan to confirm that what Evangeline has said is true, and he nods.   

   

'You are correct, Miss. Whitecrest, but those two noble houses must be separate from the two houses marrying one another. We only have Lord Aster, and being only a viscount, he does not have enough power to use his title to shield such a marriage. If he was a marquess, maybe, or even an earl...'  

   

'As luck would have it, your highness, there is another noble house present.' Alvira's voice is significantly quieter than everyone else's, but it is deep, and it carries. There is a natural authority that comes with her words, an authority that demands to be listened to.   

   

'My apologies, my lady, I have never met you before and was not aware...'   

   

'Do you meet many people from the north, prince?' Alvira cuts Rakan off. There is no malice in her words, but they are curt and could be very easily considered rude. Lord Aster bristles a little, very much not okay with Rakan being insulted, but Rakan takes it in his stride.   

  

'No, unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure.' Alvira nods.   

   

'I am a practitioner of medicine. My profession dictates that I be addressed for who I am, not for my title. It has not forced me to give up my land, however, and I am still Marquess Alvira Raleigh.' She doesn't bow, she doesn't offer her hand. In fact, she doesn't move at all, but instead simply stares at Rakan. Her actions are understandable considering the dubious look on Rakan's face.   

  

'I apologise, but I am not aware of a family by the name of Raleigh.' Shockingly, Alvira laughs.   

   

 ‘And you know all the northern families, your highness?' Rakan doesn't say anything. Of course, he doesn't. When I was looking for information about Elyon, it was beyond difficult to find out anything about the north at all aside from generic information regarding its topography and weather. I never learned the name of a single noble family in the north, aside from Elyon's surname, Virfain. It seems Alvira is very aware of this. She is looking at Rakan as if he is stupid, as if it is a given fact that the north is a mystery. Because it is.   

   

Alvira turns her attention to Evangeline.   

   

'I assume what you are alluding to is a matrimonial declaration, Lady Whitecrest?' I notice that, like Elyon, Alvira refuses to address Evangeline as a commoner. It makes me smile.   

   

'Ah, yes... Lady Raleigh.' Alvira shakes her head.   

   

'There is no need, my name shall suffice, and I prefer it.' Evangeline nods.   

   

'Yes, Alvira. Although I am not sure if a matrimonial declaration will be enough to undermine the king's approval.'   

   

'It will be if signed by a northern lord.' Alvira turns to address Lord Aster. 'If you will sign such a document, my lord, declaring that you witnessed a ceremony, I am more than happy to co-sign.' Lord Aster looks to Rakan, not me, and this causes Alvira to frown. But I know he doesn't mean to offend me. It is simply that Rakan is more important to him than I am, and this is a plan that Rakan has helped bring together.   

   

After a few moments, Rakan nods. Lord Aster looks at me, and I also nod.   

   

'I would be more than willing.' And then Lord Aster graces Alvira with his most winsome smile. Her reaction makes it very difficult not to burst out laughing. Instead, I frown as a thought occurs to me.   

  

'Will Alvira be able to sign such a document if she is also officiating the marriage? I assume that is who you were alluding to previously, Elyon.' And then Elyon smiles, only slightly, but they do not smile often, and I am somewhat amazed at seeing such a blatant display of emotion on their face.    

  

'I was referring to Reynolds. Although she may not seem like it, she was once a clergyman. She still serves as a private priest for House Virfain, although it has been a long time since she has served in a religious capacity.'   

   

I look over at Reynolds. She has a somewhat unassuming presence, with mousy brown hair kept in a pixie cut, dark brown eyes, and a relatively large frame. Her uniform is in the same style as Sebastian's, perhaps a little simpler in design. And I have never really heard her speak. Unlike most other attendants I have interacted with, when Reynolds meets my gaze, rather than looking away, she inclines her head in my direction. Her lack of deferential treatment should've been a clue in the first place, but here I am, surprised. I don't know much about the religious factions that exist in this world, but I know there is a temple located in the south and that most of the kingdom follows one central religion. I also know that many clergymen were once members of noble families, although I'm not sure how they fit into aristocratic society as I have never met anyone belonging to the temple and Lyra's memories are coming up blank. At this point, I no longer know how to interact with Reynolds.   

   

Before I can say anything, Reynolds addresses me.   

   

'Worry not, your highness. I have renounced my family name and am no longer an active member of the temple. You may treat me as you would any other attendant.' I nod.   

   

'Thank you, Reynolds.' I furrow my brow for a moment. 'Forgive me for asking, but if you are no longer an active member of the temple, are you still able to officiate a marriage?'   

   

'Being a member of the temple is a lifelong commitment. Reynolds may not be an active member, but the privileges afforded to a member of the temple may never be taken away.' Rakan is not looking at Reynolds as he speaks, but instead at Elyon. There is a moment when everyone is quiet, and Rakan begins rustling around in the bag at his feet before pulling out another document. Unlike the contract, this document is a single piece of paper, but it is thick and surrounded by gold decorations with an embossed seal at the bottom. 'Ellis managed to obtain this from the king's study this morning. Will this suffice, Reynolds?'   

  

Rakan places the document on the table, and Reynolds rounds the sofa Elyon and Alvira are sitting on to pick it up. After a few moments, she nods.   

   

'Yes. Once signed, I can send this with a matrimonial declaration straight to the temple for approval. The marriage should be legal in a little over a week with only a small potential for scandal.'   

   

I breathe a sigh of relief. With this marriage, so many problems have been solved. A legally binding marriage to Elyon prevents Giddeon from pushing my marriage to him. It also allows me to use the Virfain name to protect Rakan and Evangeline and gives me access to funds to establish a new knighthood that I can use after the divorce. Even a divorcee with the Virfain name will have more power than Lyra Venvaris currently has. This marriage of convenience will be very convenient for me indeed. Of course, it also needs to be convenient for Elyon, and it doesn't come without its fair share of danger. Even a Virfain can be executed for treason, no matter how small. I have indeed gained something, but not without taking necessary risks.   

   

The tension in the room deflates a little now that all the details are ironed out. Rakan seems somewhat satisfied, what with the contract signed and the marriage avoiding as much scandal as possible. Lord Aster and Alvira have gathered to one side with Rakan, drafting up the matrimonial declaration that will be sent with the marriage certificate. Sebastian has left my side to brew more tea, Amelinne following him. As several separate conversations start up, Elyon rises from their seat and sits next to me, taking the seat Sebastian was in before.   

   

'There are several things we agreed upon that I did not feel comfortable including in a written agreement kept by your brother.' Ah, yes, the treason.   

   

'That is wise. It would be less than ideal to have such things written down.' Elyon nods.   

   

'I did consider writing a contract of my own, but there is a northern practice that may be more suited for such a situation.' I raise my eyebrows at this. Something tells me that this 'northern practice' involves Alvira and some kind of magic. Elyon holds out their hand, revealing what appears to be two bracelets, identical in every way except colour, made of a silk-like string. 'A vow.'  

  

'A vow?' Elyon nods. They take my hand and place one of the bracelets on my wrist, and then place the other on their own wrist.   

   

'Yes. It is a form of magic that ties an individual to a promise made.' A horrible feeling begins to build in the pit of my stomach. I've read books before in my previous life, and things like this, when broken, often have disastrous consequences.   

   

'What happens if I break this vow?'  

   

'You simply cannot break it.'   

   

'What does that mean?'  

   

'The vow will ensure that all individuals fulfill what has been promised.'  

   

'Like a form of compulsion?' Elyon frowns.   

   

'Perhaps.' Okay, that doesn't sound particularly wonderful. In fact, it sounds like I may be forced to do something against my own will that would put either myself or everyone else in danger.   

   

'Who decides what constitutes the vow?' Elyon smiles a little at my words, another rare sighting.   

   

'You are very smart, princess. Many people have fallen into ruin allowing others to determine their vow.' I watch Elyon very carefully, trying to pick up on any malicious or evil intentions.   

   

'If I had allowed you to decide my vow, what would you have chosen?' Elyon answers my question without even a moment's hesitation.   

   

'To help the people by fulfilling your royal duty.' I cannot help but laugh a little at this.   

   

'You expect me to agree to a vow that is so vague? What is best for the people could change. What is considered my royal duty differs depending on who you ask. Will the vow be made based on my assumptions around the public's happiness and my duty, or on your assumptions?' I shake my head. 'You cannot expect me to make such a binding vow with terms that could change so drastically and be so subject to personal opinion. What if your opinion of my royal duty forces an action that puts Rakan in harm's way? I will not allow it.'  

  

Elyon watches me as I am speaking. There is no emotion on their face, nothing I can use to discern their reaction to my words. But after a few moments, they nod.   

   

'You are wise, Lyra, very wise. In truth, I had not considered such things when I asked Alvira to make these.' Elyon gestures to the bracelets in their hand. 'I was more than willing to sign the contract regardless of its clauses knowing you would take such a vow.' I narrow my eyes at Elyon.   

   

'I will not be shamed into taking a vow because you have signed a piece of paper. A contract can be broken. This, it seems, cannot be.' I sigh. 'I understand that it is difficult to assure my help when dealing with the king without some kind of written or...' I gesture to the bracelets, 'magical agreement. If I must, I will accept a vow. But it must be clear, and it must not, at any cost, result in harm coming to Rakan or anyone else.'   

 

 Elyon smiles for the third time today, and this time it takes over their entire face. They put the bracelets in their pocket, leaning back against the sofa.   

   

'It seems I was worried for nothing.' I frown.  

   

'Excuse me?'  

   

'There is no vow, Lyra. Well, there is, but this is not how it is done, and never with such vague terms.' It takes me a few moments to understand what has just happened, but when I do, the anger is sudden and burning.   

  

'That was extremely unfair of you, your grace.' Elyon chuckles, and I am taken aback by this sudden change in their demeanor.   

   

'Do not be like that, Lyra. I am offering you a great deal and asking for the same in return. It was paramount that I trust you, and that you are of sound mind.' I stare at Elyon, trying to imprint their smiling face into my memory.   

   

'You were worried about my reputation, about whether it was true?' Elyon shakes their head.   

  

'Not necessarily. I have seen many things to provide evidence to the contrary. I merely had to be certain before signing any life-changing documents.' I take a few moments to think about this, to try and calm myself. What Elyon is saying makes sense. Lyra's reputation is abysmal, she is young and has been known to make catastrophically stupid mistakes. But I have known Elyon for only three weeks, and during those three weeks, I have been me. I have studied and listened and made decisions based on logic and solid judgment. It is a little irritating, more than a little in fact, that Lyra's reputation has overshadowed my hard work and diligence. But I understand. A reputation of nineteen years takes more than three weeks to undo. So, I accept Elyon's test, although I'm still pissed about it.   

   

'Then what about my share of the bargain, if there is to be no vow?'  

   

'I have a separate contract prepared back at my estate. It is dangerous, yes, but it shall suffice.' Elyon chuckles one final time, seeing the look on my face, before ironing out their features and returning to their characteristically emotionless face.   

   

'That's a little scary.' I mumble.   

   

'Perhaps, but necessary.'   

   

There is movement from the other side of the room and Rakan, Lord Aster, and Alvira return once again to the sofas. Seeing that my conversation with Elyon is over, Sebastian returns with tea, taking Elyon's seat across from me once it has been served. I take a sip from my cup and am glad that this world has green tea. It's the only caffeinated drink I like, but I was addicted to it before I transmigrated, and that addiction has gone nowhere. While I'm drinking, Rakan places two documents on the table in front of me and Elyon.   

   

'All you need to do is sign each document. One is the certificate, the other is the declaration. Reynolds will take it to the temple in the south. Once there, you will officially be married.' Elyon nods, picking up the quill and signing both documents immediately.   

  

'I suggest those planning to relocate to the Virfain estate ready themselves. We will be leaving this afternoon.' Several people nod at Elyon's words. I take the quill from them and sign my name on the documents as well.   

   

'Congratulations, sister,' says Rakan, 'you are now married.' I look down at my name, Lyra's name, signed on the dotted line. It's done. There's no going back now. Divorce is very possible, but for all intents and purposes, I am now Lyra Virfain, Duchess of Riven. I am no longer her royal highness. It feels strange, both meaningful and meaningless at the same time. I look at Elyon, then offer them my hand.   

  

'I hope this proves to be a lucrative partnership for both of us.' Elyon nods.   

   

'As do I.’ 

4