Chapter ★ Sixteen
345 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A curtain of mist swarmed across the still waters, as a chilled wind breezed through the eastern shores. A sheer silence added to the placid atmosphere, with only the sound of a nearby flock of Malum warblers bickering amidst the dusky forest. Few instants passed; still no sign of the creature however, for they waited and waited.

"I don’t think this is working." Peter stated.

"Yea, thanks for pointing that out." Sirius replied in a slightly riled tone, as he watched the weeds submerge into the depths of the lakeside.

"Are you sure the book didn’t mention anything else about how to lure out the creature?" Remus inquired, as he ambled down to his friend’s side. Sirius remained silent, disappointment waving across his face.

"Yea well, a few pages were missing." He eventually responded, as he skipped stones upon the lacquer surface of the waters. His expression reflected vexation, as he really hoped to behold the mystical beast.

"Disturbing the waters as such, may only anger what lies beneath." A voice echoed from behind them; their eyes widened as they turned in direction of the sound. Standing amidst the shadows of the greenwoods, was a young girl; her skin pale and flawless. Her porphyrous eyes accentuated beautifully her wavy mane of lustrous ebony; small feathers pinned around her tied hair, two of amethyst shade and one of jet black tone.

"That’s…" Sirius muttered, as he stared at the girl from the meadow, a strange feeling erupting in him. She dawdled to shore, her eyes studying him with glistering inquisitiveness, as his aura seemed peculiarly familiar.

"I must apologize for my intrusion." She let out soft spoken, as she took a glimpse at his friends. "Very few dare to venture upon these parts of the lakeshore… You must be very brave, or simply heedless towards potential danger." Her expression was abstruse.

"We-we came here to have a glimpse at the Thousand Scales Serpens, you see?" Peter’s response was sheepish, and somewhat spontaneous, a clear reflection of his cowardly nature.

"I see…" A faint smile formed upon her face. "And where did you learn of such creature?" She inquired out of pure curiosity.

"From the Aquarem Falsius Bestiarum." Remus answered with slight timorousness in his voice.

"The Aquarem Falsius Bestiarum?" She shook her head slightly. "One must be advised when reading this infamous tome, for it is filled with recondite information. If you wish to draw out the Serpens, an offering must first be bestowed upon the still waters." She explained, as she made her way to Sirius and Remus’s side. "Graspel Berries usually work." She pulled out from her attire, a small Kelevish wool pouch. She dispersed amidst the calm surface, a handful of bluish cherry-size fruits. "And now we wait quietly..." She stood gracefully upon the pier, her eyes acute for any signs of the creature. Heeding her words, the Marauders remained silent and motionless; waiting patiently for several minutes passed, when a single ripple suddenly appeared upon the water surface.

"Something’s down there!" Remus exclaimed, as he noticed a shadowy figure rising from the depths of the lake. Several bubbles ascended from whence the darkened silhouette dwelled.

"Could it be..?" Sirius wondered, for his eyes gleamed with anticipation. Her eyes fixed upon the lurking shadow, she slowly kneeled down. A hand brushing against the rippling surface, as she submerged some of the berries. Moments passed, for a jet black dorsal fins emerged from the deep blackened lacque; the sun shimmering upon its scaly skin, an iridescent glow enveloped the visible spine. Their eyes glimmered with excitement, their expression full of cheer.

"This is as much as you will see from the creature." She explained, as the beast slithered back into the depths of the lake. "It prefers darkness over sunlight." She stood back up, her eyes bright and winsome.

"We’ve got to see something at least!" The one known as Moony replied in a slightly timid tone. "My name is Remus by the way- and these are my mates: Peter and Sirius."

"I’m Moira." She introduced herself. Her eyes traveled between the three. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." A warm smile spread on her delicate visage.

Fin


And this marks the end of Part 1! As mentioned in the synopsis, this was meant as a short commissioned fanfiction I wrote a few years back.

So my many thanks to all those who read the story to the very last chapter, in hopes that I one day get commissioned again to write a continuation.

Kindly, Rin.

10