1 The Palace Ball.
69 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 

The clanging of heavy machinery and hissing of steam ring in my ears as I exit the steam carriage, and walk towards the entrance to the illustrious Palais du Jacquet

Home of the Duke of the Plateau cramoisi region in Gallia who has invited many a such people as myself to a grand event to announce some news of great importance to himself.

I walk to the entrance and give the gilded invitation letter to the steward standing aside the entrance and he used his loupe to inspect the invitation and determine if it is legitimate or not and after a small amount of deliberation he decided that I was holding a authentic invitation to the ball and announcement thereafter. 

“Welcome Duke Amyeliana” Spoke the steward calmly 

“You have it wrong steward. That is my Father I am his 5th son and current heir.”

“My apologies Sir Amyeliana” replied the steward slightly shaken at what punishment I may have chosen to give him for his mistake however I chose to simply ignore it and enter the Palace. However as I am about to enter I hear a voice coming towards me.

“AHH GOOD TO SEE YOU FRIEND!!” Shouted a person as I entered and looked over to see my old acquaintance Louis Devitte whom I begrudgingly have to associate with.

“Hello there Louis it has been a while hasn’t it.” I spoke with a false smile upon my face.

“comment se fait-il que tu sois venu ici” (how come you came here)              quizzically proclaimed Louis.

“Je suis ici à la place de mon père qui était trop occupé pour assister” (1 am here in place of my father who was too busy to attend)                                                                   I remarked back to Louis with a slight sneer 

“Drats, I really thought you wouldn’t have brushed up on your Gallian.” Muttered Louis back to me after what I said 

“And let you get one up on me?” I replied slightly amused at his antics.

“Anyway let’s let inside the Foyer or we will be late.” I mentioned as I walked back to the door and entered the Foyer.

“Oh Damm i almost forgot.” Exclaimed Louis 

“Remember Louis language. You need to at least act presentable.” I Spoke in a sarcastic tone.

“Oh just go in already you ratbag!” He laughed as he sped up to me. 

(Characters are now all speaking in Gallian [French] unless they have a * before or after their speech)

“WELCOME, I WELCOME YOU ALL TO MY GRAND ABODE! YOU PROBABLY ALL KNOW ME BY NOW AS I AM THE DUKE OF THE PLATEU CRAMOISI. ANTOINE JACQUET AND I WELCOME YOU ALL HERE TO THIS ILLUSTRIOUS BALL AND FOR SOME OF YOU HERE A GREAT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!”

After about a hour of the Duke incessantly babbling about some hogwash the ball finally began and due to my looks and well maintained appearance many of the Noble ladies in the area have asked to dance with me and such things however I mostly chose to stay distant for I knew I needed to be done here and return to Father to report about the ‘important’ announcement Duke Jacquet has claimed to have.

After a few arduous hours the Ball has finally ended and all those left here are here for the announcement 

“Ohohohohohoh if it isn’t little Amyeliana your father sent you here instead of coming himself, what a boor of a man.*” Spoke a noble who came up to me.

“Why good day to you Lord Blakewells, It is a pleasure to encounter you today.*” 

“Ohohoh, No need for the formalities little one. You are of same status as us as the heir.*” Laughed Lord Bakewells 

“I thank you for saying such Lord Bakewells however I believe I should keep the formality for now as a important announcement seems to be upcoming.*” I spoke as I gestured towards the entrance to the room just as Lord Jacquet entered the room.

Lord Jacquet walked over to the central table as he spiralled out a giant Leather map that would easily be valued more than a lesser nobles house, and took out some seemingly ancient parchment with small maps written onto them. As well as a few smaller maps dating from 100 years ago all the way up to one month ago as well as hundreds of ship records and crew logs being wheeled in by the steward from earlier.

“Lord Jacquet what is the purpose of all these maps and records?” Asked a noble from eastern Germania.

“These are the important records I found and are the point of this announcement now where is Lord Amyeliana? He should be the central point on this meeting as he has found some of these before but been unable to decipher the language they are written in.” Asked Lord Jacquet in a slightly erattic voice.

I sighed in my mind as I was sent here instead of father with him likely knowing the entire reason for this beforehand.

“I am sorry to speak out of turn Lord Jacquet but My Father won’t be here. I was sent here in his stead as he had other important business to attend to.” I interjected into the conversation as most of the others in the room turned to me.

“And pray tell who you are?” Enquired Lord Jacquet.

“I am the fifth son and heir to Lord Amyeliana. He sent me here today as he couldn’t attend.” I calmly replied 

“Oh and did he have you bring any items of significance with you today?” Asked the Lord with an undertone of annoyance.

“Yes Lord Jacquet he had me being multiple documents and maps with me however most of them are in the Steam Carriage would you like me to give on of the servants the key to get them, whilst I bring out the ones I have on hand?” I replied with a calm but respectful tone.

“That would be quite fine.” Spoke the Lord with thankfulness in their voice.



2