Chapter 46
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurelius teleported twice more, this time behind the High Elven lines and near the city wall. Next to him there were a few High Elven life mages healing wounded combatants. He took a couple of seconds to recoup, panting all the while. He knew he couldn't keep up this level of exertion for too long. Teleportation took a toll on his body, and he was already feeling the strain. Fortunately, during the battle he had a chance to finally test out the abilities he had to the fullest, discovering what he was truly capable of. 

Firstly, he had discovered the astonishing usefulness of the mana bomb he had crafted and stored within his spatial space. Its impact had been nothing short of impressive, and Aurelius lamented not having made more. If only he had produced additional bombs — he could have unleashed unimaginable explosive damage.

Secondly, he stumbled upon a fascinating new technique. By overloading his weapon with mana using his Arcane Blade ability, he found that the blade would eventually explode. Seizing the opportunity, Aurelius realized he could employ it as an improvised bomb amidst a group of enemies. However, he had to be careful since he only had a limited number of weapons—merely three remained. Aurelius cursed himself again, wishing he had stored more blades in his spatial storage when he had the chance.

Suddenly, Aurelius felt a hand on his shoulder, snapping him out of his reverie. 

He turned to find the Headmaster standing beside him, his expression a mixture of awe and concern.

"Aurelius, isn't it?" the Headmaster asked, though it was clear he already knew the answer.

Aurelius nodded, still catching his breath. "Yes, that's me."

The headmaster's eyes narrowed as he observed Aurelius, sizing him up. "You're not just an ordinary academy student, are you?"

Aurelius hesitated for a moment before replying, "No, I'm not.”

The headmaster looked at Aurelius thoughtfully, seeming to weigh his options. "You're the Chosen, aren’t you?"

Despite expecting the question, Aurelius still felt caught by surprise, unprepared for the situation. His heart raced as he felt exposed; it seemed that his secret had finally been discovered. Even amidst the chaos of battle, Aurelius became acutely aware of the eyes on him. The mages and archers shot glances in his direction from the corners of their eyes, all while maintaining their focus on firing down on the Dark Elves. The front-line High Elves defended in a disciplined formation, occasionally stealing quick glances at Aurelius whenever they had a chance. Some of the wounded High Elves along the wall were outright staring at him. The weight of their scrutiny bore down on him, adding to the intensity of the already dire situation.

Aurelius took a deep breath, acknowledging the gravity of the situation. There was no point in denying it any longer, and he couldn't afford to hide his true nature from the headmaster, not when they needed to work together to survive this invasion.


"Yes, I am," Aurelius admitted at last. The words felt weird escaping his lips, yet there was an inexplicable sense of liberation, as if he was finally free from hiding.

The headmaster's gaze didn't waver, his eyes searching Aurelius's for any sign of deception. "I suspected as much," he replied, his voice steady. "Your abilities, the way you fight, it's not something a regular first-year student possesses."

Aurelius nodded again, another mix of relief and apprehension flooding over him. "I wanted to help defend the city," he explained, gesturing to the ongoing battle. "I couldn't just stand by."

The headmaster's expression softened. "Your intentions are admirable, but you're putting yourself and others at great risk. This is a battle against a strong enemy. Your powers might be strong, but you lack the experience to fully control them in such a chaotic setting."

Aurelius understood the headmaster's concern, but he felt a surge of determination. "I can't just back down now. I want to make a difference."

The headmaster sighed, his gaze turning back to the battlefield. "Very well, if you're set on fighting, I won't stop you.”

Aurelius nodded, grateful for the respect the headmaster showed him. “We need to do something about this. The Dark Elves keep coming, and they don't seem to care about their losses."

The headmaster nodded solemnly, his gaze never leaving the battlefield. "Yes, I've noticed the same. This level of aggression and disregard for life is unlike anything I've seen before in the Dark Elves. It's as if they're being controlled or manipulated somehow."

Aurelius wholeheartedly concurred, "I noticed the same. However, I also observed that not all of the Dark Elves are like this. Some appear to be typical Dark Elves, while most seem to be... lifeless — for lack of a better word. It's as if they lack concern for their own lives. I believe that it's highly likely that their Chosen is responsible for whatever this is."

The headmaster nodded in agreement once more, "I had the same thought. However, we lack any information regarding his whereabouts or if he is even with this army. Our best course of action is to defend against them for now, as that appears to be the only effective strategy. Based on what we can gather, they arrived here on ships and their numbers are not limitless."

Aurelius nodded, absorbing the headmaster's analysis. "That makes sense. We need to hold them off until reinforcements arrive or until we can gather more information about their Chosen's location and intentions."

The headmaster's expression turned stern. "Exactly. Now, listen carefully, Aurelius. You possess great power, but you need to use it wisely and strategically. You can't go charging into the midst of the enemy like you did earlier. Your abilities are valuable, and they can turn the tide of this battle, but they are also limited. You must conserve your energy and only engage when it is necessary and when it can make a significant impact."

Aurelius nodded solemnly, realizing the truth in the headmaster's words. He had acted impulsively earlier, and while it had been effective, he couldn't keep up that level of intensity for long. He needed to be more calculated and measured in his approach.

"I understand," Aurelius said, determination gleaming in his eyes. 

The headmaster gave him a reassuring nod. "Good. And remember, I am here to support you. We'll work together to protect the city and its people."

With a renewed sense of purpose, Aurelius joined the High Elven defenders on the frontline. He teleported strategically, using surprise attacks to thin out the ranks of the Dark Elves. All the while, he maintained an eye over his mana pool, ensuring it never depleted to dangerously low levels. 

He also focused on protecting the High Elven mages and archers, making sure they had the space and time to cast their powerful spells and rain down arrows on the enemy.

As the battle raged on, the tide slowly began to turn in the High Elves' favor. The Dark Elves seemed to be losing their initial momentum, and their numbers were dwindling. The High Elves, bolstered by changing tides, held firm and fought with renewed resolve.

However, just as they thought victory might be within reach, a sudden disturbance rippled through the battlefield. The ground trembled, and the air seemed to thicken with malevolence.

Aurelius and the headmaster turned their attention to the source of the disturbance. Emerging from the ranks of the Dark Elves, a towering figure stepped forward. The air seemed to darken around him, and his presence alone sent shivers down the spines of those nearby.

"The Dark Elf Chosen," Aurelius whispered, his voice barely audible amidst the sounds of battle.

The Chosen was a sight to behold. Clad in dark, ornate armor, he exuded an aura of authority and power. His eyes glowed with a strong crimson light, and a wicked smile played on his dull gray lips.

Aurelius felt a surge of power emanating from the Chosen. It was unlike anything he had ever felt before. This Dark Elf was no ordinary warrior; he was a force of nature, a living embodiment of malice.

Aurelius turned to look at the headmaster, who nodded in return. A mental message was shared between them: defeating this figure was their ultimate objective.

As the Chosen advanced, the High Elves dug in their boots, weary, but prepared to face this new adversary. The headmaster and Aurelius exchanged another determined look, knowing that this was a pivotal moment in the battle.

With a deep breath, Aurelius focused his mana, channeling it into his Arcane Blade. The Chosen and Aurelius locked eyes, and in that moment, the battle between the High and Dark Elves began in earnest. 

Despite the tension that was palpable in the very air and the smile on his face, Aurelius saw something in the eyes of the Dark Elven Chosen he had never expected to see: desperation.

0