Ch23: Old man.
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As days passed, life at Dove city got more unsafe and ambiguous, horrible incidents happened one after another, people died with no explanation, no one knew what’s really occuring behind the veils, except some well chosen trusted staff of Dove city police force and the soul facilitators.

Luke’s House.

Luke, laying in his bed, all gloomy an bored, could only wonder why he didn’t get any call from Gill to update him, and Helena sent him a text explaining that her brother keeping her out from next missions until the mystery of the sudden demon appearances and massacres get solved, he even decided to homeschool her and forbid her from going out of their mansion.

Maybe,just maybe’ thought Luke, while holding Felindra’s necklace ‘that punk thinks i’m not up to the level of getting involved with the recent incidents, i’m not complaining, those people are more experienced with all the supernatural stuff, and i’m just still a newbie, the payment that Gill sent me for last missions is more than enough for me to pass the next days.’

Luke clenched both his fists ‘But, i want to do something, i need to do something, i can’t be left like this, does that punk see me as some extra who’s good only for peaceful missions, i want to take a risk as Kyle and Kev did, i never really cared in the past about taking any self harming ventures , but now, seeing my new friends risking their life without me doing anything hurts my pride.’

Those days, even Veranda Cafe was closed temporarily, most coffee shops and food stands took the same decision.

Luke haven’t met Karen for a long time, she texted him lately saying that she goes for the coffee to keep it clean and do some coffee machine maintenance, they were short staffed already, so she multitasked as long as the manager compensated her efforts and payed her as any working day despite having no clients.

He didn’t have any close friends, he always secluded himself, doing some freelancing jobs online on his computer, reading mystery novels at home or at the coffee shop and going to boxing classes at a nearby local gym, his parents always pushed him to make new friendships, but he never managed to make them, other than Karen, he didn’t know anyone closely enough to call a friend.

That was until he joined the soul facilitators, he could call those people who share the same ability as him friends, they treated him nicely despite his grumpy attitude, those siblings, those twins, that gamer girl, he could feel a sense of friendship toward them, he felt at ease with them, he didn’t know them for much, or talk to them much, but his intuition was strong, and he just decided to believe in it for once, and be a good friend to them, as they seemingly shared the same responsability.

*Vrrrr *Vrrrr, Luke felt something vibrating beside him. It was his phone, and Gill was calling.

« You called finally punk, what the hell is this silence about. »

« Oh, How are you doing grumpy boy, you missed me ? » said Gill.

« You’re the one who called, spill it, what’s the matter, any news ? »

« About that, yes , many news, and we have a suspect even, some immortality fanatic who seems to have blurred the line between what’s possible and impossible, hiding somewhere in this city plotting some pitiful delusional scheme. »

« What the hell are you talking about ? You know who’s behind the last demon incidents already ? »

« Technically yes, there is much to talk about and i’d prefer to share it with you in person, let’s meet at the fountain garden in about an hour, same spot, bring some milk based drink too, i’d appreciate it if you do. »

« Okay, let’s meet there then, and i’m not bringing you shit. »

« whatever grumpy boy, just come in time. »

The call ended, and Luke got up to get ready for his meeting.

To be honest, i kind of miss that punk.’ Luke felt excited, he knew something was coming, and he’ll have a chance to fulfill his new pride and prove himself to his new companions.

*****************************************************************************

The next hour, two guys sat next to each other on a wooden bank, facing them an empty playground for kids that didn’t have a single visitor since the start of the incidents.

They talked for a while, their chatter being interrupted from time to time by sounds of sipping.

One wearing a brown jacket and jeans, his face showed signs of early maturity, that was Luke.

The other was smirking, carefree as he is, wearing black clothes with whites roses patterns and shorts, the elder Shovelfield brother was happy that Luke came in time, he had a lot to tell him, and no time to lose.

Somehow, Luke brought drinks, two beverages from a nearby convinience store, strawberry flavored milk.

Gill explained all the past events to Luke, without missing a single detail, while Luke nodded to show that he understood well.

« I still didn’t thank you properly brat, flavored milk drinks are my favorite, sometimes i don’t know if that attitude of yours is really you or just an act. » Gill felt gratitude, he was like a kid, milk was enough to put him in a good mood.

« Same for you punk, despite your foolish attitude, you’re quite the leader i give you that, but one thing still bugs me, why you decided all of sudden to call me and tell e all of this. »

« Cause i missed you ? » Said Gill while pulling his tongue in a playful manner.

« The hell, talk already. »

« You see, as i told you, there are five red talismans in total, three in our hands, you witnessed the first incident where we got the first one, the second one was found by Leo, the third belongs to the 13th street demon, i dealt with him personally just some days earlier, for now, we have two red talismans to retrieve, and we know where one of them is. » Gill hesitated, took a breath, then continued « Luke, go now to the shop where you usually sit, Daemon used a talisman on a ghost there, and nowthe new turned demon took Karen as a hostage... »

« WHAT ? KAREN ? And why the hell are we sitting here !! why are we wasting time let’s get the fuck up and go there !! » Luke screamed, he couldn’t control his composure while hearing that his closest friend is taken captive and may die.

« Sit down brat, do you think i’ll normally call you to chat than going there myself ! »

« Then what’s happening ! Explain or let me go already ! »Luke was furious, why was he talking to this punk in a garden instead of rushing to save Karen.

« You are going there just listen, the demon there is weird, he held Karen captive but didn’t seem have any killing intent , i have gone there, in fact, it’s Karen who called me first, the demon ordered her to invite me to talk with him, and after we discussed, he didn’t release Karen, he asked to meet you, and he promised to release Karen after it, i don’t have any other worthy sharing information, but for a normally blood thirsty monster, he seemed trust worthy, now go, talk to that old man, save Karen. »

At those words, Luke was stunned for a second, shock was apparent on his face.

« Old man ?! Could it be him ?! »

« Oh you know him ? Tell me about it after your mission, you were just having a tantrum about saving your lady, get up and go already. »

0