Prologue
630 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read the next chapter on my Patreon!


Prologue

Agreements had been made. Alliances had been forged. 

The humans didn’t know it yet, but the fate of their world had been sealed. 

With the mighty Superman having fallen in battle against the deformity known as Doomsday, Lor knew it was only a matter of time. Earth would fall to the power of Zod. The power of his father…

The kryptonian paced in his chambers, his mind ruled by thoughts of the future. The future of the Earth. The future of his house. The future of his people.

The son of Zod was young. Twenty-five solar cycles according to the old kryptonian calendar. Young and quite fresh compared to his father, the General. Untempered and untested. This campaign against the champions of Earth would be his first, Lor noted with some measure of concern.

But he was his father’s son, he reminded himself. Lor was the man’s spitting image by Faora’s own words. The heir to the House of Zod slowed to a stop, glancing at his reflection in his chamber’s mirror. The man staring back at him was tall and powerfully built. As if his body had been chiseled from stone. 

His pale face held both the hardness of his father and the regal look of his mother. His hair, black as night, was swept back out of his cold, blue eyes, falling down to his ears. Indeed, Lor looked much like his father - save, of course, for his clean shave. The line of Zod is strong and hardy, Faora too had said. Lor believed her. He had to believe her. He couldn’t imagine their plan succeeding otherwise.

Lor heard the door to his chambers slide open. He knew it wasn’t his father. The General’s footfalls were heavy and resounded through the halls like thunder. The steps behind him were lighter, softer. They could only belong to the only other living being on their ship.

“Your father requests your presence in the war chamber, Lor.” Commander Faora-Ul spoke, her voice coming smooth and gentle. It still shocked him after all these years, that such a beautiful voice could come from such a ruthless warrior.

Lor turned and nodded.

“More planning, I assume?”

“No.” Faora answered. There was an edge to her voice, the tiniest sliver of excitement. Most wouldn’t have been able to pick up on it, but Lor had lived so long under the woman’s care that her tells had been burned into his brain. Lor faced his step-mother fully, his interest now piqued. The shorter, raven-haired woman continued. “General Zod had planned enough. His conquest of this world will begin soon. But first, our allies wish to convene. They will be arriving shortly, Lor. Your father wants you to be present when we receive them.”

So this is truly happening, Lor thought. The House of Zod is going to take Earth.

The younger Zod didn’t know how to feel. Excited? Nervous? Happy?

General Zod was going to carve out a future for the Kryptonian people on Earth. He was going to bring them back from the brink of extinction. Under his leadership, Krypton would live again.

But even so… Lor knew it would not be easy or simple. Even with Superman out of the way, even with father’s new allies, the Justice League wouldn’t be defeated so easily. 

They defeated my father last time, didn’t they? Before my time…

Lor had his concerns. But he knew better than to share them with Faora. She was devoted to his father. Almost frighteningly so.

“Of course.” Lor replied, nodding again. He made for his closet, the door sliding open as it sensed his approach. “I will only be a moment, Commander.”

Lor heard Foara give a soft sigh behind him.

“That’s unnecessary, Lor. You know you may call me Faora. You might even call me ‘mother’.”

She was right, Lor conceded in his mind. Ursa may have been his birth mother, but Faora had been the woman who helped his father raise him. For all that he loved his mother, all Lor had left of her were childhood memories. And even those were sparse.

Faora’s place in the House of Zod was unquestionable. But those were thoughts for a calmer time. A time when their peoples’ future was secure.

The Commander didn’t wait for Lor’s answer, turning to let him get dressed. The door closed shut behind her, leaving Lor-Zod alone with his thoughts again. But the young kryptonian found himself restless. Their allies were soon to arrive, per Faora’s words.

The time for thinking was past, Lor decided. 

The time of Zod had come.


The War Chamber. The very heart of the Black Zero.

More than once had the future of Krypton been decided in this very room, deep in the bowels of this ancient flagship. 

It was only fitting, Dru-Zod felt, that the rebirth of the Kryptonian race would be set in motion here.

The Black Zero had survived centuries through war and strife. It had survived civil wars, regime changes, even its own degradation. Refitted and restored more times than Zod could count. It had even survived the destruction of the world that created it.

Just like us. This ship is the soul of Krypton.

But within that hope, there was bitterness. So few things had survived the destruction of his homeworld. So few of his people, their history, their accomplishments. 

Zod paced slowly around the chamber’s central table, a large disk installed with a holo-display. The General stared up at the ghostly image floating some feet above the display. It was the Earth. And it was calling for him. Begging for the safety and stability of his iron rule.

We’re not gone yet, Zod resolved, his face hardening with pride. The House of Zod endures.

His line was secure in Lor, his strong and healthy son. And with Faora and her devotion, the line of Zod would surely grow.

Three kryptonians, Zod noted with cold surety. Three strong, capable kryptonian warriors. Supported by key, formidable allies. We cannot fail.

The sound of the War Chamber doors sliding open drew Zod’s attention. And what he saw only bolstered his conviction.

Lor had arrived, looking every inch the warrior Zod dreamed he would be. Garbed in the black and gray armor of his House, his son appeared towering, indomitable - even bigger than Zod himself. And the man could only feel a near-overwhelming pride. It was only his discipline that kept Zod calm and measured. Any other father would have shed a tear.

Following close behind his son was Zod’s lover and loyal second, Faora. The two most important people in his life had been growing warmer as of late, Zod observed with the faintest grin.

“I see you’ve chosen to wear armor.” Zod greeted his family warmly. “Good. Conquerors should look formidable to their subjects.”

Zod gave his son a small nod, hoping his pride was clear in his eyes. Lor returned it, ever reserved, and stood opposite to his father on the other side of the holo-display. Faora, meanwhile, took her spot as Zod’s right hand.

“These new allies of ours, they are leaders in their own right. How can we be so sure that they will accept their new place in your hierarchy, father?” Lor asked, his young but firm voice cutting through the dull hum of the holo-display.

Zod was not annoyed by his son’s pointed question. On the contrary, in that moment he only appreciated Lor that much more. The younger Zod was right to be cautious. The general who didn’t consider the possibilities for failure was a poor general.

“These men have sought us, my son. Not the other way around. They may not feel enthused by the prospect of my rule, but they understand the reality.” 

Zod tapped some keys on the holo-table, making the projection of Earth disappear. In its place, the display instead showed a tall, strong man. He was a bitterly familiar figure in Zod’s eyes. Kal-El. The only man to defeat General Zod. 

“The one they call Superman has fallen.” Zod continued, his hard eyes fixated on the specter of the Man of Steel. “Now their world is gripped by fear, uncertainty, ravaged by conflict. In Superman’s absence, Earth has never been more vulnerable. The humans need a strong, guiding hand. And with Kal-El gone, I am the strongest.”

The holo of Superman blinked away, the display of the planet Earth taking the central spot once more. Across the central table, Zod could see his son taking a moment to absorb his words, a thoughtful expression falling across his youthful face. Zod himself frowned, crossing his arms. The elder thought back to his first engagement with Superman, remembering the indignity of being forced to retreat. But he had no other choice, he reminded himself. It was either flee or be forced into the Phantom Zone. 

Zod’s frown deepened. But then he felt Faora set a gentle hand on his shoulder. It was like she could sense his frustration. Zod’s expression softened a little. He offered his lover a knowing look. Then he turned back to face the table, breathing out through his nose.

He failed before. He would not fail now.

“These men, they’ve offered us their loyalty.” Lor spoke up again. “But how will we keep it?”

Zod felt a new sensation then. A sliver of anticipation. For the briefest of moments, it was like being a lad again, a wild youth right before military academy. Back when all he cared about was getting top marks and charming girls under their fathers’ noses. 

He spared Faora another glance, taking an eager note of her face. She was wearing a rare, not-quite-bashful expression. He could see it in her eyes, that at one time she was one of those girls being charmed. And what a girl she would have been - no, still was! Even in her armor, her femininity was clear as day, with the plates along her shoulders, chest, and belly molding to the subtle curves of her slender form.

How indeed will we keep their loyalty…

Zod felt a chuckle rumbling in his chest, but he fought it down. Zod had traveled the path of conquest before. He knew well about the rights and pleasures taken by conquerors. And from Faora’s knowing, daring look, so too did she. They both knew things Lor did not. But Zod knew that his son would soon understand. He too would know the appeal of being a conqueror.

“It’s simple to keep men’s loyalty, Lor. Honor your agreements, compensate them for their service…” Zod allowed himself the faintest of grins. “And reward their loyalty with the spoils of war.”

“Joining our cause will make them wealthy?” Lor asked, sincere in his misunderstanding.

Beside him, Zod heard Faora give a soft snort. Lor was a model son and Zod couldn’t have been prouder. He was strong, healthy, studious, disciplined, capable, and martially talented. But living his life on a starship had made him sheltered. Earth would change that. Zod would make sure of it. 

As Zod’s followers would soon enjoy the spoils of war, Zod’s own son would reap the most benefits. He may not know it yet, but the heir to the House of Zod would be key in restoring the kryptonian people. The Zod line would continue. Lor-Zod would do his part. A task the General knew the lad would be most eager to tackle once he realized what it truly meant.

“In a way.” Zod eventually answered. “Treat your men well enough and they’ll follow you into the darkest depths of the Phantom Zone.”

Before Lor would continue with his questions, there came a droning alarm. The Black Zero’s security systems had engaged. And they were notifying them of approaching vessels. 

Zod’s Earthling allies had arrived.

“Your new subjects, General.” Faora noted with a wry look. “Come to pay fealty.”

There was a hint of teasing in her voice. Zod allowed it. Her performance in the field - and in his bed - afforded the woman some behavioral concessions.

Zod gave a huff. Not quite a laugh. Zod couldn’t even remember the last time he laughed. He turned and spoke directly towards the holo-display.

“Disengage perimeter canons. Send drones to escort our guests to hangar five.” He commanded. And thus it was so. The Black Zero was his ship. Locked to his voice, his biometrics. The Black Zero was the House of Zod.

“Affirmative.” The computer responded in its cold voice.

Zod breathed in. Then he turned his eyes onto his family. He straightened his back, standing tall and proud like the Sword of Rao himself.

“Let us receive our guests with dignity and respect. After all, yielding to our strength took great wisdom.


Lor watched. He listened. And he learned.

As his father discussed battle plans with his Earthling allies, Lor couldn’t help but observe them closely. From what he had read of Earth in the lead up to Zod’s campaign of conquest, the allies that joined their strength to his father’s cause were quite surprising. 

Some were opponents to the old regimes, such was to be expected. But others… some of them had fought beside Superman and the Justice League. They had once been close comrades to the Man of Steel. Their presence in Zod’s War Chamber was a shock. Their betrayal would be taken bitterly. Surely the war would get ugly because of that. Lor couldn’t imagine anything else.

But Lor found that he really couldn’t complain. Not when those same Earthling turncoats were the ones who helped his father land the Black Zero completely undetected.

“The gap you created in the Justice League’s orbital defense grid was invaluable.” Lor heard his father say. He watched the General take slow strides across the room, pacing before his Earthling collaborators. “An entire kryptonian dreadnought made planetfall right under their noses. Your help will be remembered in the coming empire, King Orin.”

The ruler of Atlantis and the Seven Seas gave a short bow of his head. The Aquaman stood proud, regal in his golden scale armor. In his hand, he held the mighty weapon of Atlantean kings of old, the Trident of Atlan. Holding it, he looked every inch a king. Even now, when he was betraying his homeworld to Lor’s father.

“Their continued ignorance of your presence is proof of their ineptitude, General.” King Orin responded flatly, his deep voice thundering against the walls of the War Chamber. He even sounded like a king, Lor noted. “Ever since Superman fell, the Justice League has been toothless. Impotent. Their capabilities wane with every passing day. They can no longer protect the world. Nations have been squabbling like children. And the Seven Seas have been paying for it.

There was regret in the King’s voice. Lor could hear it. But it was overshadowed by the man’s anger, frustration, and disappointment. This was a man driven to the point of desperation. If the surface world wouldn’t help the oceans, the oceans would find help elsewhere. Or so the King proclaimed.

The fact that Zod gained the support and allyship of a member of the Justice League was a miracle. Lor still couldn’t quite believe it. The younger kryptonian was sure it was a ploy, a trap set by the heroes of Earth to finally trap his father and send him to the Phantom Zone. 

…But the presence of his father’s second great ally took some credibility from that possibility.

A tall man of darker complexion caught Lor’s attention next. Garbed in a dark green cloak lined with a pale gold trim, he looked every bit as formidable as the Atlantean standing beside him. His long black hair was swept back from his sharp, narrow face and his deathly green eyes. 

Ra’s al Ghul. The Demon’s Head. 

He was the leader of the League of Shadows… and supposedly immortal. He was a timeless warrior with a keen mind, or so Lor had learned. An enemy to the Justice League and thus to Aquaman. But they had both chosen to ally with Lor’s father.

When he spoke, his voice came smooth and cold like a blade.

“Mankind is no stranger to war. Our world has always been marred by conflict. But the instability we face now is… concerning.” The Demon’s Head reached up to stroke his goatee, his eyes fixated on the holo-display of his world. Lor could see that he and his father were men cut from the same cloth. “I fear it will only become more dire. My League of Shadows was created to keep the world in balance. I believe that under your leadership, General Zod, Earth will find stability… and much more.”

Two powerful men, once on opposite sides of a war, now joining together under his father’s rule. Both now serving a single purpose, fighting for a single cause. Lor felt that there was perhaps some beauty in that. Some poetry. But he would dwell on that later. There would come a time for more thoughtful observations of his House’s triumph. But that time would be after the Earth was theirs. Not before.

“This conquest will not be easy.” King Orin reminded them. His trident gave a booming clang as he drove the pommel into the floor. Lor watched as the Atlantean stared his father dead in the eye. “Many of our compatriots will fight you to their last breath.”

“I know more than a few.” The Demon’s Head muttered derisively. Then there was a flicker in his eyes, a cunning deviousness that gave Lor pause. “Though others… might be convinced to join our cause.”

Lor didn’t quite understand what the man meant. But it was clear that his father did.

The elder Zod gave a knowing nod, grinning. A rare sight. For a moment, Lor thought his mind had played a trick.

“Yes. Indoctrination will be the easy part.” General Zod replied. Beside him, Faora nodded as well. “My travels through the cosmos have brought me many useful technologies.”

Faora then presented a sort of collar, holding it up for their two guests to see. It was made of a thin, black material, almost as if it were fabric, and set with a glimmering red stone. Not a ruby or a jewel, but a stone. It caught Lor’s eyes, drawing his attention and holding it. 

It was a device that his father had found years ago, back when Lor was a boy. He hadn’t known what it was back then. But now he knew. It was a tool for Zod’s triumph. A way to mold minds to their cause.

“Capturing and subduing your former allies might prove difficult.” Lor’s father continued as Faora set the collar on the holo-table. “But once they’re in our custody, here in the Black Zero’s holding cells… persuading them of the benefits of my rule will be simplicity itself.”

Lor could see the change in the mens’ postures. It was faint, almost imperceptible, but Lor saw it - thanks in no small part to his enhanced senses under a yellow sun. It was clear as day, his father’s allies were liking what they were hearing. 

“You’re considerably less severe than you were on your last visit to this world, General.” Ra’s noted with desert dry humor.

“It’s comforting to know that we haven’t thrown our lot in with a common warlord.” King Orin added.

General Zod gave another grin. Lor blinked in shock. These were indeed unusual times.

“There’s nothing common about me.” The General answered, seemingly towering over the rest. “But my time in exile has proven illuminating. I tried destroying all of my enemies before and I failed.”

Zod glanced off to the side, giving Lor a meaningful look. But it was quick. Soon his eyes were turned back to his allies - his subjects. He stepped forward, crossing his arms behind his back. His boots thundered against the cold, metal floor. The two men before him almost seemed to shrink under his shadow. Lor caught their heads bowing just so, physically deferring to his father in the tiniest way. It made the younger Zod feel a spike of pride for his father, his line, and his House.

“Before my beloved wife passed, she taught me the value of restraint. Why destroy what you can use?”

Zod stood up straighter then. And so too did the Atlantean and the Immortal. 

“The opportunity you two have created for my people means more than you will ever know. Rest assured, your loyalty to the House of Zod will be rewarded. I will end the desecration of your oceans and I will bring order to this chaotic world. But first, I will only ask you for one more thing.”

Aquaman and the Demon’s Head both gave a small bow of their heads. Behind his father, Lor could see Faora looking on. And his step-mother looked most pleased.

“As you command, General.”

“What is it you require of us?”

Lor watched as his father reached forward, placing both hands on the two mens’ shoulders. General Zod’s grin grew into a striking smile. His cold, blue eyes now blazed with strength, vigor, and power. 

“I only ask that you kneel.

9