CHAPTER 29: A Fate Is Decided
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we arrived in the cabin, Raoul informed us that Baba had left some days ago to visit one of her Red Moon Clubs in Edinburgh. He had tried to sneak back into Babel, but was soon discovered by one of Queen Naran's henchmen, who had given him the letter. He made sure he was not followed, and it took him a while to track us in the mountains. He could only manage when he smelled the track of Viktor's blood after he was wounded.

I was still shaken by the letter. I sat in my room, contemplating what I should do. I knew that I couldn’t leave James to die; I couldn’t live with the guilt. And what good would it do anyway? Queen Naran would still go after my father, my sisters… the people I loved most in the world. I couldn't let that happen.

As I thought about it, the tears started flowing. I couldn't hold them back any longer, and soon I was crying uncontrollably.

That's when Viktor came in. He saw me crying and immediately rushed to my side, wrapping his arms around me, our bodies fitting together so perfectly. He pulled me close and I could feel his strong heart beating against my own.

"What's wrong, Lucy?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

"I don't know what to do," I said. "I love my sisters and my father so much, and I couldn't bear to see anything happen to them. And James... Even though he betrayed me, I once loved him too. It's wrong. What Naran is doing is just twisted."

Viktor listened patiently, holding me the whole time. When I finished, he stood up and went out into the hallway to fetch some water for me.

“I'll be right back,” Viktor said to me, getting out of the room and being interjected by Raoul, who wished to speak to him.

I was left there on my own, thinking. I had already made my decision, however. I didn’t believe that it could have gone any other way; it just took me time to realise it. I sat on the bed for a few moments, trying to steady my nerves. Then, I left the room to meet with Viktor and Raoul.

They stood in the hallway, speaking to each other in hushed tones. They looked up at me as I exited the room.

“We must help him,” I said to them. They both looked at me in disbelief, but I continued to speak. “He’s in La Roche Hotel in Paris then, right?” I asked, to which Raoul nodded. There was a pause in which none of us spoke. “We’ll go then,” I said, resolute. “We’ll save James.”

The shock on Viktor’s face shifted to what I was almost sure was admiration; could it be that he was proud of me, proud of my decision? I hoped that he was. As for Raoul, he simply laughed out loud. He seemed particularly happy about this idea.

“We’ll fight,” Raoul said. “Hell, we’ll put up the bloody best fight Paris has ever seen!”

Viktor began to laugh as well. “Yes, we will,” he said with a broad grin.

“Do you think we can sneak out of the hotel with James?” I asked them.

“Dario will be an issue,” Raoul mused. "I hate to admit it, but he's strong. Not particularly intelligent, but cunning and cruel."

I shivered, recalling the memories of my last encounter with Dario.

“We’ll find a way to deal with him,” Viktor stated. “There's always a way.”

“So shall we depart tonight?” Raoul asked.

I figured that he would accompany us. I didn’t mind; I was glad for the help.

“Yes,” Viktor said. “Send word to Baba,” he told Raoul with a sigh. “She would probably like to know we are heading her way first.”

“I know she would be proud of Lucy for standing up to Naran,” Raoul said as he beamed at us. I smiled back, but internally, I was terrified, because I could not shake the feeling that I was asking them to follow me to our collective deaths.

 

***

Over the next few nights, we travelled by coach to Edinburgh. On the first night we spent in a town, we all went to a tavern looking for our dinner. Viktor quickly disappeared as soon as we arrived, leaving me and Raoul alone. I felt uncomfortable and unsure of myself in the unfamiliar atmosphere. I kept my eyes to the ground, avoiding any unnecessary attention. But my nervousness was all too obvious; Raoul could tell that I had never done this before. He placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a reassuring smile.

“Don't worry, Lucy, you have nothing to fear,” he said to me with a soft chuckle. “Men are drawn to beauty like moths to flames. You will have no problem finding someone willing to bed you - and you'll find feeding on them after that comes very easily. Just don't get overexcited and you will be all right.”

He winked at me before disappearing into the crowd. I stood there for a few moments, feeling my cheeks burn. I was flattered by Raoul's words and perhaps a bit excited at the prospect of attracting male attention, something I had never done before. But soon enough, the reality of the situation settled in and I began to feel nervous again. Before I knew it, men were starting to approach me - smiling and joking, making subtle innuendos about my beauty and ability to please them in bed. Initially, I was mortified by their advances but soon enough my pride began to take over - these men were flirting with me! I tried not to show it but inside a familiar heat was rising. I felt attractive and desired. I had not expected strangers to be so willing to bend to my will. 

Then I saw him: a tall, dark haired man with piercing green eyes. He had a strong but slim physique and wore a vibrant blue shirt that suited his complexion well. A smirk played on his lips as he sauntered towards me, looking me up and down in appraisal. He didn’t say anything at first; just smiled devilishly at me like he knew something I didn't.

He stood there for what felt like an eternity until finally breaking the silence by introducing himself and complimenting my beauty.

“You look lonely,” he said, his voice low and husky. “Would you like some company?”

My heart was pounding as I nodded my head in agreement. He took me by the hand and led me to a corner booth. The conversation quickly turned passionate - he was flirting with me, telling me how beautiful I was and how much pleasure he could give me if I would let him. Soon enough we were kissing, his hands travelling down my back as our lips intertwined. I could feel the blood running through his body and it made me so hungry that I almost bit him right there.

When we finally pulled away from each other, panting with desire, he invited me up to his room at the tavern. It felt like every nerve in my body was on fire; I wanted nothing more than to drink from him until I was satisfied. I hesitated for only a moment before taking his hand in mine and following him upstairs.

Then again, I should be careful, so before we started, I made sure to inform the man that I chose that I “enjoyed biting with a passion”, and that he “might bleed”, as a warning.

“I don’t mind,” he said with a smirk as he stripped out of his clothes.

I had not realised that humans could be so keen on being bitten. Perhaps it was the rush of pleasure that one would feel from a vampire’s bite...

It was my first time feeding on a human by myself. I was nervous, but he seemed totally at ease. What seemed even odder to me was that he looked at me with an expression of pure lust, as though I was the most beautiful creature on Earth.

He fucked me hard and fast as I sucked the blood from his neck, and I imagined that it was Viktor as he did. Every thrust pushed him deeper and deeper into my core, leading me to soak his throbbing hard cock in my juices. When I finally came, he did with me; the intercourse was all right, but if I were to hold it up against Viktor’s lovemaking, it would have left much to be desired. At least I was finally able to regain my strength. If I had kept drinking second hand blood, I don't know how much long I could have endured it.

When we all reunited, we didn't speak about our feeding and I could not help but feel jealous of whatever victim Viktor had chosen.

1